Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Expenses of treatments necessary to prevent death covered by private healthcare: None.

It's not a death panel, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The first real Sunday School of 2015. Everyone is still slowly getting back into the swing of things after the holidays, but obviously the big news item of the week has gotten a few cartoons.

Lietha rarely directly addresses a current event unless it specifically involves Answers in Genesis or their Not A Museum. Note how the mountain lion and wolf have decided to put aside their differences to devour a small zoo. Warms your heart.

Two things: 1) this is a repeat and 2) this was done before the murders, so it wasn't posted in response to them.

ALSO done before the shootings. See it's a popular thought among fundamentalists that "tolerance" means "put up with our ignorant, hateful poo poo." So when you call them out on something, they get all "Heh, who's intolerant now :smuggo:"

I just want to note that Nuckols, who claims to do "around one cartoon a week" when trying to sell his crappy cartoons, has not done a cartoon since November 21st. poo poo, he couldn't even muster the energy to even comment on the shooting of people in his profession. Which I guess is kinda appropriate since he really isn't a cartoonist now that I think about it.

This was posted earlier this week, but I feel obligated to repost it.

After that brief cartoon on a major event involving his profession, Ford decided to do a much longer and more obnoxiously formatted cartoon on what's really important: being absolutely sure that God hates fags. He gets $3000+ a month to do this.

Galatianman updates with comic #500 :toot: Also a reminder that pretty much nothing has changed in the past year or so except that Art is still with the hobo.

I now present to you the most important series of galatianman strips to date: the Sad Ballad of Angus the Bum. You will laugh and cry as Angus copes with homelessness as he simply tries to reunite with his friends and, most importantly, get his daily cup of joe. Due to the importance of these strips, I present the whole thing to you uninterrupted.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Angus lives a charmed life.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Art Spiegelman did an interview regarding the shooting

There's a video of the interview, along with the first part. Covers a few topics.
My immediate reaction upon reading something by Art Spiegelman is to check to see whether Rall has trashed him over it yet. Apparently not but his twitter feed is still absolutely magical at the moment.

@TedRall posted:

“even the most ruthless satirists have their sacred cows” http://t.co/u3tadD290r With all due respect, gently caress off, @SaladinAhmed. I don’t.

I know it’s not all about me, but it’d be nice to get “credit” for the chances I took and the price I paid for political satire after 9/11.

1. This past week’s events reminds me of being interviewed for a job as a cartoonist at the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey.

2. The editorial page editor had been trying me out as a freelancer for months. Finally the editor was considering hiring me on staff.

3. The interview went very well. Finally, he said, “I have just one last question:”

4. “Will I ever look outside my window and see people protesting a cartoon that you drew?” I was caught by surprise.

5. I answered truthfully: “I don’t know. Maybe. Not intentionally, but it’s certainly possible.” He replied: “wrong answer.”

6. Naturally I didn’t get the job. Eventually they hired someone else. Perhaps he answered the question correctly.

7. Shortly thereafter, this was in the 1990s, the newspaper in Harrisburg Pennsylvania flew me out to be interviewed for a cartoonist job.

8. There weren’t any questions like that, but close. They decided to add another sports writer instead of hiring a cartoonist.

9. I was considered for a job in St. Louis, but the editorial page editor said that her readers didn’t want to be challenged or offended.

10. Then there was the Sacramento Bee. They flew me out, but the editor there said that the decision came down to a choice:

11. Did they want to rattle “the good burghers of Sacramento,” or give them something fun to read over breakfast? They chose the latter.

12. Every political cartoonist has stories like this. Cowardice is the dominant personality trait in the press in the United States.

"I know it's not all about me, but here's a 12-point list about how it actually is." Also I wonder if the "right" answer to the first question was "gently caress yeah I'll probably offend some people" rather than the wishy-washy response that Ted gave. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ted Rall maybe it's because it's a stretch to call what you do cartooning or even coherent scribbling

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

@TedRall posted:

Four days after #CharlieHebdo, 0 cartoonists hired in US, 1 laid off.
I love how he phrases this as if it's hypocritical to be upset that people were murdered without hiring a cartoonist.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
On that same Twitter thread:

Or in Rall's case, widows:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ted Rall's sacred cow is Ted Rall.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Charlie Hebdo Paris rally – World leaders join anti-terror march in French capital after slaying of satirical magazine's staff" "The state is Charlie"

Independent:

Cameron should 'stop ducking' TV election debates, says Miliband

Times:

Express:
"Charlie - I think so"

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Here's an account from a former cartoonist for New York Times.

quote:

Just under a year ago, I started a new gig that I was cautiously excited about : creating editorial comics for the Week in Review section of The New York Times. David Rees was going to write them and I was going to draw them. This seemed like an ideal partnership; David (creator of the satiric comic Get Your War On) has a great skill for walking the fine line between irony and sincerity, and is extremely funny as well. We both wanted to try to do new things with the political strip format, and bring metahumor to the Times.

Already, though, things were not as we’d been promised. The Times had approached David and then myself in April of 2013. After approving us, they told us their master plan: Brian McFadden, the resident comic artist, would be replaced by myself and David alternating with Lisa Hanawalt. This would be a part of the exciting revitalization of the Week in Review section. To that end, they told us to wait while their redesign proceeded.

By September, the redesign seemed to be finished; but the editor in charge decided that something as exciting as this new comic rotation couldn’t be unveiled in a dull month like September. Better to wait until… January! when it could be announced to the world with the appropriate fanfare and excitement.

So we waited seven months in all. And on January 20th, David & I created our first strip for the Times… which was printed with no fanfare or announcement or anything; we were simply dumped into an alternating slot with McFadden, because by then Lisa was simply too busy (drawing Bojack Horseman). The brilliant strategy of waiting all that time had backfired, because in fact it was pointlessly stupid.

Then there was the money. The New York Times- get this- refused to come up from the fee for one artist, which we were to split. We finally got them to come up a little, but only a little. These strips are done in a very short time period- basically between Wednesday night and Friday morning, and I stayed up all night for a couple fo them. We were going to be making very little money, but still, it was an opportunity to do good work, maybe make some statements on serious issues and have them be seen by people. And the Times still stands for something in peoples’s minds, some kind of editorial quality.

Of course, it didn’t work out at all; their nitpicking, antiquated style of editing got more oppressive until they were killing entire strips. And it’s quite clear they were refusing to print them because they didn’t understand them. It was like being edited by hobbits.

- See more at: http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/01/my-nyt-nightmare/#sthash.Icj47OvL.PuBb4PyK.dpuf

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

A devilish creature who breaths coffee fumes. If you cut off one of the heads, two grow back.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Cpt.Americant posted:

But to be fair, dude was a serious drunk and more than a bit of a shithead even by his time's standards.

Better than some of New York's early governors. There was the one who liked to wander through people's houses and decide he liked their furniture, then send in troops to take it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. MacDonald, turned 200. By any standard nowadays he would be considered a racist, colonialist, alcoholic shithead, so naturally there's a large movement to overlook all that by judging him according to the standards of his own time/whitewashing Canada's horrible early history because he's Canada's version of George Washington and (perhaps more importantly) was a Big C Conservative so our current Conservatives claim him as one of their own.

He also wanted to give women the vote. :argh:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

7 "Fit to Pint?" :confused:

Entirely unsurprised that Bok can't spell.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

El Scotch posted:

He also wanted to give women the vote. :argh:

Well. He wanted to give the vote to Widows and Spinsters (because he thought they'd vote Conservative). Otherwise he was extremely against Universal Suffrage.

That is, if you believe Elections Canada's website on the History of the Vote.

quote:

At a time when Ontario was preparing to expand access to the vote, Macdonald contrived to keep the property-based qualification. Along with most members of his party, he had a profound aversion to universal suffrage, which he considered one of the greatest evils that could befall a country. Perhaps convinced that most women were conservative, Macdonald suggested giving the vote to widows and spinsters who owned property. He backed down, however, in the face of objections from some of his own members, and the suspicion remains that Macdonald had inserted the clause as a sacrificial lamb, never intending that it survive final reading of the bill.

Women's right to vote was added so that they could cut it out as a compromise, I think.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Here are a few French and Dutch language political cartoons about the attacks and march in Paris, good and bad:

"I must say... This is the most original protest I've ever seen!"

There's hundreds of cartoons with brandished pencils, flipping the bird, dicks and protesters in Where's Wally/Waldo shirts out there (the program was called Où est Charlie ? in French). They're get really boring really fast.

"Homage to 12 humans, I am... [names of the victims]"
"For gently caress's sake, stop it with your drawings of pencils, we all used to draw with sharpies!"

"Finally a true Manif' pour tous"
"France is so beautiful when we're all united"

Manif pour tous (protest for all) is a reference to the far right protests against gay marriage from last year, of course.

"We've kept our promise!"
"Happy New Year!"

In reference to Charb's last cartoon:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

1) "The SNCF [French national railway company] raises its prices - the train is only for the rich" "the what?" - Catherine Meurisse, alive.
2) "A Roma baby won't be buried" "except if he's accompanied by his parents!" - Babouse, alive.
3) "Still no terrorist attacks in France" "Wait!" "We still have until the end of january to wish people a happy new year" - Charb, dead. Holy poo poo, though.
4) "Why did a mayor not allow the burial of a Roma baby?" "Because it would attract the ones who are alive.

"Haha! That one is actually really funny!"

"The pen is mightier than the sword"
"What would life be without humour"

"Believer hurt by unbelievers"
"Unbeliever hurt by believers"

That loving curved sword.

"Charlie is great"

"This fanaticism is so tiresome. It must stop"
"The solution is simple: a fully Muslim world"

That might as well be a Lester.

"Hell."
Cabu: "Hello we're standing in for the 72 virgins"

The 72 Houri is a theme that massively inspired cartoonists. In addition to the vaguely racist stereotype, it's a reference to Wolinski's erotic works. For many, it's also an opportunity to draw some tits:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/4yiFKwK.jpg :nws: 14.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/JDzZ8d1.jpg :nws: 15.
"Notice to the candidates for martyrdom: The 72 virgins aren't such anymore"
"These guys from Charlie are such horndogs"

This cartoon was published this Saturday in Belgium's French-speaking equivalent to the Financial Times. (With 1% of the readership)

That's Cabu, one of the victims.

"Charlie Hebdo, a merry band of assholes!"
Cabu: "I can vouch for this"
Cabu, Charb and Charb's pen: Ouch

There's a pun here that I tried to, but couldn't, translate: Trous de balle literally mean bullet holes and figuratively means assholes.

New limits.
"You can laugh at everything... except Charlie Hebdo!"

"Ho! So that's what Charlie Hebdo really is?!"
"My god, this is vulgar!"
"How awful!"
"A cock?"
"This is dirty!"

Commentary from the artist:
"This wednesday, millions of people will read CHARLIE HEBDO for the first time and discover what it really is about... That will be hard to take for some and they're going to sting"

Wolinsky: "Catholic masses?? The Marseillaise??? For us ?!?"
Cabu: "It's hard to be loved by assholes..."

"C'est dur d'être aimé par des cons" is what Charb had Mohammed say in his cartoon from the issue in which they published the Jyllands-Posten Mohammed cartoons.

"[Gabonese president Ali] Bongo, [Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor] Orbán, Netanyahu and [Russian Foreign Minister Sergey] Lavrov at the protest!!!"
Cabu: "It's hard to be politically exploited by assholes"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

"The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them."
- Isaiah 11:6 Some stupid naive hippie

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Angry Salami posted:

"The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them."
- Isaiah 11:6 Some stupid naive hippie
Is there anything in the bible that isn't contradicted somewhere else?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

alnilam posted:

Spaniards were here several thousand years before the rest of europe :confused:

(I know many hispanic people have some native american ancestry but this cartoon still strikes me as really weird)

It's possible he did just mean "natives" in general, but he may have been referring to an old meme in the Chicano community. Within the early Chicano student movements, it was sometimes alleged that the American southwest is really "Aztlan," the semi-mythical homeland of the Mexica people from before they moved south and created the Aztec empire, and therefor, their modern descendents, Mexicans, are its rightful owners. There are several problems with this. First, it's not entirely clear where Aztlan was, when the Mexica left it, or why, so identifying it as California specifically is something of a leap. Second, most Mexicans aren't direct descendents of the Mexica. Certainly most Mexicans are Mestizos (that is, they're of "mixed" European and Amerindian ancestry), but the native peoples of Mesoamerica were divided into hundreds of distinct ethnic groups, of which the Mexica were just one. The Mexica have an outsized place in the Mexican cultural imagination because they were the group that happened to control the Valley of Mexico during the time of the Spanish Conquest and, you know, the country is named after them. Modern Mexicans looking to overcome centuries of European cultural repression and reconnect with their native roots often identify strongly with the Mexica as the rulers of the last great native empire. However, it's worth remembering that the modern nation of Mexico is much larger than the Aztec Empire ever was and incorporates numerous unrelated nations such as the Maya, Zapotec, and Tarascans. Even within the Aztec Empire, most of the people were not Mexica, but rather belonged to their numerous subject or tributary nations, many of which didn't even speak Nahuatl. What's more, even if California was "Aztlan" and modern Mexicans were the heirs to the Mexica, what of it? They left more than a thousand years ago, why should it be theirs again now? Unfortunately, most modern Mestizos don't really know which groups their ancestors belonged to originally (the mixing has been going on for a very long time) and in the quest to reclaim that lost identity often fall prey to ideologues who peddle trumped up nationalist mythology disguised as "heritage." Fortunately, the myth of California (or the Southwest in general, depending on who you talk to) as "Aztlan" fell out of the Chicano mainstream decades ago and is now generally seen as silly or counter-productive, but it still survives in the name of the student organization MECHA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan), the rantings of certain fringe figures (like, perhaps, our cartoonist), and the nightmares of rightwing xenophobes like Michelle Malkin.

When did he stop pretending to be Walt Disney when signing his name?

Monaghan posted:

I really don't care if he was a drunk, It's a way bigger deal that he was a racist rear end in a top hat , which any attack on him should focus on.

I don't know, it's pretty hard to run a country when you're piss drunk. Like, Russia in the 90s might not have been quite so much of a kleptocratic hellhole if Yeltsin had been sober occasionally.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 12, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there anything in the bible that isn't contradicted somewhere else?

ECCLESIASTES comes pretty close to contradicting everything else in the Bible.

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have
no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.
Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never
again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

After that brief cartoon on a major event involving his profession, Ford decided to do a much longer and more obnoxiously formatted cartoon on what's really important: being absolutely sure that God hates fags. He gets $3000+ a month to do this.

I have never seen a more eloquent way of saying "The bible is true because the bible says it is" and I probably never will. Ken Ham has a whole team of dudes dedicated to that exact thing and they'll never come up with something like this. He's EARNED that $3,000 a month, because that combination of smug self-satisfaction and blind faith is like a Hawaiian Crow, brought to the edge of extinction by modern civilization and best kept in a place that simulates his habitat and bored jerks can gawk at him for an afternoon.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So does that mean whenever it specifies that the Lord is talking it's just God referring to himself in third person? I hate when people do that.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

ECCLESIASTES comes pretty close to contradicting everything else in the Bible.

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have
no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.
Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never
again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun."

John is also full of lines that contradict the other gospels and many scholars believe it was written significantly later. Someone who actually knows his Bible is free to contribute specific examples, but in general, the Jesus depicted in John is much less "human" and far more explicitly divine than he is in the other sources.

There's also the case of the Pentateuch/Torah wherein you can often find multiple accounts of the same story that blatantly contradict each other. Most famously, Genesis features two full accounts of the Garden of Eden story that basically follow the same arc but often differ hugely in the details. The Documentary Hypothesis offers one explanation for how these repeated sections came to be.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

escape mechanism posted:

That's Cabu, one of the victims.
From what I've understood so far, this one seems to have gotten the purpose of Charlie Hebdo across the best of this bunch.

escape mechanism posted:

"Ho! So that's what Charlie Hebdo really is?!"
"My god, this is vulgar!"
"How awful!"
"A cock?"
"This is dirty!"
Man, this one strikes home.

Thank you for finding all of these.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Duckbag posted:

John is also full of lines that contradict the other gospels and many scholars believe it was written significantly later. Someone who actually knows his Bible is free to contribute specific examples, but in general, the Jesus depicted in John is much less "human" and far more explicitly divine than he is in the other sources.

There's also the case of the Pentateuch/Torah wherein you can often find multiple accounts of the same story that blatantly contradict each other. Most famously, Genesis features two full accounts of the Garden of Eden story that basically follow the same arc but often differ hugely in the details. The Documentary Hypothesis offers one explanation for how these repeated sections came to be.

The Gospel of John refers to the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem which happened in 70 AD, so most Biblical scholars believe it was written at the very least forty years after Jesus' death. The other gospels are biographies of his life and sayings, with much less if any descriptions of his divine nature. For some reason the most widely believed theory is that these earlier texts were based on a plain, never discovered book of Jesus' sayings. Historical or logical truth mustn't have been an important goal for the early Churches who chose them as their canonical texts, for the four gospels often contradict themselves.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A reading from John 14:

[5] Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way.

[6] Jesus answered, "Worry not, Thomas, for I have compiled a book of scriptures detailing my life and activities, perfectly edited so that not one word contradicts another."[7] He then distributed books to his apostles, containing 24 39 12 books. [8] "These writings have all been written at exactly the same moment and are untainted by human imperfection nor is anything in it a product of its time. [9] Thou shalt have no need for 'church councils,' nor religious disputes about thine nature for it is written there plainly in the language of the Lord: [10] English.

[11] "But Lord," said Matthew, "What of Q?"

[12] The Lord replied, "Please stop asking questions and interpret everything in there as my literal will. I'm out."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 12, 2015

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Super Saiyan Mr. T posted:

I've been looking at that DbD for a solid 5 minutes trying to visually parse that second panel. Is Black Mouthpiece trying to gently caress the bedsheets? Is he trying to lift Token Liberal's legs? I know it's a thread meme to make fun of Muir's art but that's a level of "What the gently caress am I looking at" that I haven't had in a long time.

I'm absolutely stumped too. Anyone have any ideas?

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 12, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

Well if we identify the porn scene it's been lifted on we might have an easier time.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tacodaemon posted:

That's his back. He's sitting up on the bed. It's horribly drawn, but I'm used to parsing deviantart drawings so I could figure it out.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edit: ignore this, misread a reply

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

djw175 posted:

That's his back. He's sitting up on the bed. It's horribly drawn, but I'm used to parsing deviantart drawings so I could figure it out.

Oh wait, so she's got a sheet lying across her abdomen and she's not bending over backwards around some kind of object like my eyes kept interpreting it as?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Art Spiegelman did an interview regarding the shooting

There's a video of the interview, along with the first part. Covers a few topics.

Ugh . . . Someone going to a rally and shouting "Cartoonists lives matter!" makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. Of course, I understand what the rationale behind it is, and I get also that a cartoonist would feel the impact of the CH attach deeply, but . . . It just reeks of appropriation - the chant "black lives matter" came about after several high profile deaths of black men at the hands of individuals who thereafter were - crucially! - NOT brought to justice. In the case of the perpetrators of the CH massacre, not only is nobody supporting the perpetrators or claiming they acted within the bounds of the law/in self defense, but they were vigorously pursued by the police and within a day shot to death when police tried to apprehend them. Someone making the parallel between cartoonists and young black men in this way really made me cringe and gave me a bad feeling.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I don't think I've felt so many conflicting negative emotions in such a short period of time.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

They are never going to forget that he empithised with a dead kid that one time will they? Why is this supposed to be such a massive burn to him?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cpt.Americant posted:

They are never going to forget that he empithised with a dead kid that one time will they? Why is this supposed to be such a massive burn to him?

Because the President of the United States is supposed to be a proud socioeconomic elite, and clearly having any minority perspective is anathema.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

If North Korea had free trade and communication with the world it would be destroyed, or at the very least the despotic monarchy would be ousted. A Good Cartoon.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Cpt.Americant posted:

The easiest answer is that Gary McCoy is an idiot who just cobbles together talking points without any regard to cohesiveness or intelligibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadeoses posted:

If North Korea had free trade and communication with the world it would be destroyed, or at the very least the despotic monarchy would be ousted. A Good Cartoon.

One of those things is way more important than the other, and is the one the Kims take great pains to stop at all costs.

• Locked thread