Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hope Calebhart and his girlfriend got back home safely. I think they drove, and did not fly don't quote me on this. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Was the Vanquish run worth watching? I love Vanquish

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Anime Curator posted:

I hope Calebhart and his girlfriend got back home safely. I think they drove, and did not fly don't quote me on this. Lol.

I'm pretty sure he drove, because I know he did last year.

that's how he was able to bring all that weed

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Was the Vanquish run worth watching? I love Vanquish

Yes, the Vanquish run was one of the highlights of the marathon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It was this, and then shitheads would erase stuff on the list and write their own run(s) up there.

Personally, if I were the Grand High Poobah of GDQ Bonus Stream, my rules for it would be that it would only be for people who did not have a run in the main marathon and they could only do one run of reasonable length (unless it was like multiple 5-10 minute things).
I half jokingly suggested in chat that bonus stream should be scheduled based on some sort of donations, maybe some sort of bid war and the top ten get to run or something. People would still find a way to make drama out of that though, and someone would eventually just buy their way into bonus stream thinking they could make the twitchbux back from their new found popularity. Also it would add even more headaches on the tech end so I can't see that ever happening.

The solution is probably going to end up being some group that misses the bonus hosting some 'after party' stream of their own and word getting out on twitter or some poo poo. I'm sort of surprised that didn't happen already, to be honest. Or maybe it did and I'm just not aware.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ullerrm posted:

Speaking of sponsor statements; it's always possible to just suggest that they be pre-recorded. Doesn't have to be video, an audio would do. They could even provide a couple of audio files with different readers to do some variety.
Pre-recorded sponsor reads sound like a great idea. Have a donation reader/host pick a random one and go.

There's plenty of things that can fill the void between runs. Why not cut together highlights of past events, have a video ad for SRL or SDA. Even have graphics of leaderboards related to games about to be run or games that were run previously. Have the runners supply their own PBs to better give some context of a run. An on screen donation tracker instead of a camera showing an empty couch/crowd that cuts down on what needs to be read if some can be seen.

Stuff like that I dunno.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

CrashCat posted:

I half jokingly suggested in chat that bonus stream should be scheduled based on some sort of donations, maybe some sort of bid war and the top ten get to run or something. People would still find a way to make drama out of that though, and someone would eventually just buy their way into bonus stream thinking they could make the twitchbux back from their new found popularity. Also it would add even more headaches on the tech end so I can't see that ever happening.

The solution is probably going to end up being some group that misses the bonus hosting some 'after party' stream of their own and word getting out on twitter or some poo poo. I'm sort of surprised that didn't happen already, to be honest. Or maybe it did and I'm just not aware.

I was thinking something along those lines, but instead of straight up buying time you're buying tickets for a raffle for time.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, the fighting game community does stuff like this and it seems bizarre to me that speedrunners who do poo poo like get non-official uploads of their AGDQ runs taken down wouldn't see the appeal of trying to take that six-figure audience and turn them on to another stream.

Maybe by the end of the weekend they're just so sick of playing videogames and dealing with each other that they're ready to go home? A week is a long event.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CrashCat posted:

This actually seems like a better form of "bonus stream": it lets them tear down the actual venue, it can go as long as someone's willing to host/people are willing to show up, and since it'll inevitably peter out after a couple days viewers can just stop whenever they get bored.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Well at about 4:30pm I told Matty to call me if he wanted me to help with teardown, and went to go take a "nap"... but now it's 3am and I'm just now waking up, so he must not have needed my help. :v:

Most of the missing PayPal donations have been reprocessed and the total is currently... :siren: $1,538,935.24 :siren: but there's still a handful more that are pending. Plus a couple that are causing some errors in other, less nasty ways.

Thanks again to everybody who watched, donated, spread the word, etc. These events are always amazing and I look forward to doing it all again in 6 months for SGDQ. Currently slated for "the last week of July" when I asked romscout about it earlier.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, the fighting game community does stuff like this and it seems bizarre to me that speedrunners who do poo poo like get non-official uploads of their AGDQ runs taken down wouldn't see the appeal of trying to take that six-figure audience and turn them on to another stream.

Maybe by the end of the weekend they're just so sick of playing videogames and dealing with each other that they're ready to go home? A week is a long event.

under streams happen, they're just usually pretty boring

for example, last night I watched a bunch of guys mill about in the hallway and chat with Mike when he stopped by to pick up the bag of money before his flight to Tijuana left.

then they went to breakfast and talked about CRTs for ESA for a while and the guy's phone battery died.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Harlock posted:

Pre-recorded sponsor reads sound like a great idea. Have a donation reader/host pick a random one and go.

There's plenty of things that can fill the void between runs. Why not cut together highlights of past events, have a video ad for SRL or SDA. Even have graphics of leaderboards related to games about to be run or games that were run previously. Have the runners supply their own PBs to better give some context of a run. An on screen donation tracker instead of a camera showing an empty couch/crowd that cuts down on what needs to be read if some can be seen.

Stuff like that I dunno.

I know this seems to be the first year with proper sponsors to fund poo poo like this, but I think people here are forgetting that this event is basically a bunch of guys on a forum like this one who decided one day to speedrun games for a week straight and put the stream donations towards a charity. It's run by volunteers just wanting to do some good, not some professional e-sports setup who can throw a bunch of money at it to make it work like you think it should.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rudager posted:

I know this seems to be the first year with proper sponsors to fund poo poo like this, but I think people here are forgetting that this event is basically a bunch of guys on a forum like this one who decided one day to speedrun games for a week straight and put the stream donations towards a charity. It's run by volunteers just wanting to do some good, not some professional e-sports setup who can throw a bunch of money at it to make it work like you think it should.

I understand your point, and I think we should bring back Goon Camp, stream it on Twitch, and take charitable donations with incentives like "we will shave off all of our bad beards".

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Harlock posted:

Stuff like that I dunno.

They do run commercials between runs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
While this thread's winding down, reminder that the year-round speedrun thread is over here and anyone who wants to talk about random speedruns, streams, and WRs is welcome to chat in #speedruns on SynIRC as it actually does still exist when marathons are over

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, this was the first *GDQ event I actively watched. Last summer I caught a few streams here and there but I didn't really know what was going on. I just gotta say I enjoyed the hell out of this event, so many great runs and even the not-so-great ones were good background program. A good commentary makes even a slower game enjoyable to watch and there was a _lot_ of great commentary this year.

Only thing that sucks is that I would've liked to comment on stuff more but it seems my euro timezone meant most people here were asleep when I had time to watch live, but oh well.

Here's my list of must-see runs:

- Ninja Gaiden relay race
- Tetris block
- Town with no name
- SMB 2 : Lost levels
- Mega Man 1&5
- Shovel Knight (loved the devs pitching in)
- Battletoads (both arcade and co-op)
- Commander Keen block

... okay, I'll stop before I list half the event.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fredrik1 posted:

They do run commercials between runs.
I remembered them more often during SGDQ but this year all I saw was some weird trailer for Tiny Build pretty infrequently. I was watching from the mobile app / casted to my tv so it's not like I had ad block but every time someone said "commercial" nothing happened.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The tiny build ad wasn't a Twitch commercial but rather a specific video they'd air on the stream. So it ran regardless of having ads blocked or not.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

The tiny build ad wasn't a Twitch commercial but rather a specific video they'd air on the stream. So it ran regardless of having ads blocked or not.

After getting the "PENTAKILL" commercial on Twitch over and over I always appreciated the Tiny Build commercial whenever it came up anyway, because it was far better than the alternative.

Seriously, acting like competitive Smite is in any way exciting is some David Lynch poo poo. Just a completely twisted cruel mockery of mundane reality.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm not sure how youtube monetization works, but each time I watch a AGDQ run from the AGDQ Uploads account it does a preroll ad on my phone. Does that mean that the person is trying to make money from those videos? If that's the case I'd rather wait for the official ones to pop up.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

Well at about 4:30pm I told Matty to call me if he wanted me to help with teardown, and went to go take a "nap"... but now it's 3am and I'm just now waking up, so he must not have needed my help. :v:

Most of the missing PayPal donations have been reprocessed and the total is currently... :siren: $1,538,935.24 :siren: but there's still a handful more that are pending. Plus a couple that are causing some errors in other, less nasty ways.

Thanks again to everybody who watched, donated, spread the word, etc. These events are always amazing and I look forward to doing it all again in 6 months for SGDQ. Currently slated for "the last week of July" when I asked romscout about it earlier.

Well that explains why my two donations didn't show up. I was so confused that the tracker was still going but not seeing my own in there (I hadn't donated until Friday)

How do the donation prizes work? Will the winner get an email?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Ohvee posted:

I'm not sure how youtube monetization works, but each time I watch a AGDQ run from the AGDQ Uploads account it does a preroll ad on my phone. Does that mean that the person is trying to make money from those videos? If that's the case I'd rather wait for the official ones to pop up.

Yes, they are making money from that ad.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

evilalien posted:

Yes, they are making money from that ad.

Not if they have monetization off but that's probably not the case

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Manslaughter posted:

Well that explains why my two donations didn't show up. I was so confused that the tracker was still going but not seeing my own in there (I hadn't donated until Friday)

How do the donation prizes work? Will the winner get an email?

Yes, although that will likely take awhile. It's likely that someone will post in the General Speedrun thread when the tracker's prize list starts getting updated with winners, and then it'll usually take them a couple weeks after that to email people.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Thanks for continually helping the event to improve every year, maybe next event you'll get to sleep normally!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Given the opportunity, suggest (intensely) that future races get pro commentary like the Ninja Gaiden one. It's a big help as someone who has only dabbled with Ninja Gaiden casually, much less speedrunning, to have someone providing commentary on what's going on and why without one of the runners needing to chirp "So do you wanna explain...." every 5 minutes. Also the commentary just really pumped up the crowd (at home).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Given the opportunity, suggest (intensely) that future races get pro commentary like the Ninja Gaiden one. It's a big help as someone who has only dabbled with Ninja Gaiden casually, much less speedrunning, to have someone providing commentary on what's going on and why without one of the runners needing to chirp "So do you wanna explain...." every 5 minutes. Also the commentary just really pumped up the crowd (at home).

:agreed:
The Ninja Gaiden race had excellent commentary, very proactive and informed. It really helped keep a viewer (I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game) in the loop, since we were seeing the trick/thing as it was being explained. It probably was a good coincidence that it was a close race too, come to think of it.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I just remembered Rocman X, and I highly recommend it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Serperoth posted:

:agreed:
The Ninja Gaiden race had excellent commentary, very proactive and informed. It really helped keep a viewer (I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game) in the loop, since we were seeing the trick/thing as it was being explained. It probably was a good coincidence that it was a close race too, come to think of it.

I can't find that one on youtube. Can you help me out?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The "Home is where the :love: is" Link cross-stitch bid prize was cute, but I didn't get my donation in on time. Is there any way to get in touch with the contributor, triangles, to find out if they'd do a commission?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I can't find that one on youtube. Can you help me out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LEPHgBCGy4

Not sure how much the runners appreciate it, but there's links to twitch and whatnot, so it shouldn't be very bad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Was UA the only big tech person there? I figured they'd have a handful of tech gurus on rotation throughout the week instead of having to wake up poor UA every time a TV goes on the fritz. I guess that's just part of working with a volunteer crew.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Cool matty was there. Unless I've been misrepresenting, he's got a load of tech experience under his belt too.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Some runners are really good at narrating their run and explaining things before they happen; AdamAK playing Vice City being the prime example I think. Most runners will try to explain things as they are happening, which can get confusing and lead to incomplete thoughts, because they need to focus on the task at hand. It also leaves the audience confused because we never know why something should be exciting, if a trick was difficult or if something rare happens.

I think it would be a lot to ask every run to have a commentator/runner who can actually be informative and make their run more exciting, but it's obvious when it stinks.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

jerkstoresup posted:

Some runners are really good at narrating their run and explaining things before they happen; AdamAK playing Vice City being the prime example I think. Most runners will try to explain things as they are happening, which can get confusing and lead to incomplete thoughts, because they need to focus on the task at hand. It also leaves the audience confused because we never know why something should be exciting, if a trick was difficult or if something rare happens.

I think it would be a lot to ask every run to have a commentator/runner who can actually be informative and make their run more exciting, but it's obvious when it stinks.

Clearly the answer here is to have Big Jon narrate the entire marathon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
AdamAK is fuckin' pro at narrating. It was very neat to see the change between his commentated run of Vice City on SDA several years ago and his run this year's AGDQ especially since both cases he fully explained the techniques being used.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

jerkstoresup posted:

I think it worked pretty well in the Dark Souls 2 run where there were separate guys playing and narrating. Of course, that does rely on having someone other than the runner knowing what they're doing inside-out.

Also, speaking of AdamAK, was the Vice City run much different to the last SGDQ one? I really enjoyed that one, but it's kind of a long one to watch if not too much has changed.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Rage McDougal posted:

Also, speaking of AdamAK, was the Vice City run much different to the last SGDQ one? I really enjoyed that one, but it's kind of a long one to watch if not too much has changed.

There are a number of glitches with the replay system that completely broke a large part of the game and shave about 30 minutes off the run. Vice City got busted wide open over the summer.

It's worth it to watch to see what's changed.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Cone Crazy being gone makes it seem fun again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tracula posted:

Clearly the answer here is to have Big Jon narrate the entire marathon.

SpikeVegeta and Studio too.

• Locked thread