Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You can do it pretty much however you want, there aren't any rules for generating sets. Some people like to do drafts or give each player a veto on a card, but you can also just go complete random if you want as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The other line of thinking is sleeve nothing, as it's only treasure and victory cards that'll cop the most wear, and buying a base card replacement from time to time is muc cheaper than sleeving the whole shebang.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

jivjov posted:

Related to/part of this question is; when building my set of 10 Kingdom cards (and this is for after I start investing in expansions), am I going to be getting 1 or 2 cards from each of 6 different expansions? Or should I say "Okay, this game is base game + Dark Ages only" and make a set of 10 out of that?
Most of the playtesting was one with 5 cards from one set and 5 from another, I believe. I prefer requiring multiple cards from any set I'm using other than base (or promos), and my phone randomiser handles that easily. This is most useful for Alchemy but still very nice for other sets. Going to 2 for small sets and 3 for large, or 3 for any set, is also pretty reasonable.
I don't at all like forcing +Buys or Villages. Forcing a 5-cost card is reasonable enough though I'm not sure I've ever had a board come up without any, or at least not a board that was super boring due to not having one.

The End posted:

The other line of thinking is sleeve nothing, as it's only treasure and victory cards that'll cop the most wear, and buying a base card replacement from time to time is muc cheaper than sleeving the whole shebang.
Yes, this seemed way better than the time and money to sleeve everything - also your sleeves will wear unevenly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The End posted:

I mean...I know its the core cards that are going to get the most handling...but everything else is going to get picked up from time to time, and (critically) shuffled every couple minutes. Thankfully nobody in my group is dumb enough to riffle and bridge shuffle my games...but I would think that everything is gonna start picking up pretty substantial edge wear, and then some wonky corners from being peeled up off the table.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

echoMateria posted:

Hoping for one this year, been out of print for so long.

So far they've been doing it for games that are 5 years old, so I don't expect anything this year unless they release Travel Blog: Anniversary Edition.

I guess they could do one for Through The Ages though, a reprint with rebalanced cards has been rumoured hasn't it?

jivjov posted:

7 Wonders: With Babel, are the little bag-shaped tokens for "Hey I participated in the Great Project" little cardboard chits or wooden meeple things? I've seen what looks like pictures of both online, and I'm not sure if I'm just seeing playtest/prototype vs final production versions or what.
There's wooden ones and cardboard chits. The wooden ones are the main ones, used to show people participated. The chits are a reward for some projects that let you participate in a later project regardless of the colour of card you just played.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

jivjov posted:

I mean...I know its the core cards that are going to get the most handling...but everything else is going to get picked up from time to time, and (critically) shuffled every couple minutes. Thankfully nobody in my group is dumb enough to riffle and bridge shuffle my games...but I would think that everything is gonna start picking up pretty substantial edge wear, and then some wonky corners from being peeled up off the table.
I've had Dominion and most of the expansions for quite some time, getting pretty regular play, and the base victory cards and treasures are still the only cards showing any sort of wear.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 12, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Broken Loose posted:

There are many ways to generate Kingdoms. You can use the built-in blue-backed randomizer cards, or you can exist in the 21st loving century and use an online randomizer. Online randomizers get better as you get more expansions, and the good ones (like I linked) also allow for other consistency options like forcing +1 Buy and +2 Actions.

Sorry, using a website solution is only 20th century. 21st century is using a smartphone app like Dominion Shuffle, so you can play Dominion on the road without carrying a laptop with you and praying there's wifi.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

jivjov posted:

7 Wonders: With Babel, are the little bag-shaped tokens for "Hey I participated in the Great Project" little cardboard chits or wooden meeple things? I've seen what looks like pictures of both online, and I'm not sure if I'm just seeing playtest/prototype vs final production versions or what.

They are wooden meeple things iirc, but bag-shaped.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for money token replacements? My gaming group has a habit of slinging cash around the table a bit too wildly, and I'd be easier to handle if I had solid plastic or possibly metal coins that will make more of a noise than cardboard when they fall off the table.

I think regular 7 Wonders has a regional or printing number difference between having wooden or cardboard coins.

I am also looking for good foreign currency to use for 7 Wonders coins. So far, I guess I'll be getting Euro-cents, but that's just because getting foreign coins is a pain in the rear end, and I live in Denmark, so I can get Euros in Germany.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So a quick rules thing on Kemet

1.is it ever explicitly said anywhere when you can sacrifice dudes you've teleported to the Temple of All Gods? Is it the same time as when you can give up 1 guy for 5 prayer points at the other temple?

2.While you are occupying a temple you're adding the amount of Prayer Points it's showing during the Night Phase right?

3.The White Power that gives you a discount on the cost of all powers doesn't actually lower the level your pyramid needs to be to get them,just the cost itself.

On that topic, what power combinations are you guys running? I've had some success running mostly defense+Elephant so even if i'm the defender i have a good chance of either coming out victorious with Defensive Victory or i'm throwing out so much defense that when i do lose i lose none of my own guys while killing a bunch of the others in retaliation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

1.is it ever explicitly said anywhere when you can sacrifice dudes you've teleported to the Temple of All Gods? Is it the same time as when you can give up 1 guy for 5 prayer points at the other temple?

2.While you are occupying a temple you're adding the amount of Prayer Points it's showing during the Night Phase right?

3.The White Power that gives you a discount on the cost of all powers doesn't actually lower the level your pyramid needs to be to get them,just the cost itself.

Yes to all three.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
What is the thread's take on City of Remnants? I remember the SUSD folk loving it, but the overview didn't impress me, since it felt like the game had too many ideas and moving parts thrown haphazardly together.

If I already own Libertalia, would Mission Red Planet be different enough for me to enjoy? The designer is same and the mechanics sound kind of samey.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BonHair posted:

I think regular 7 Wonders has a regional or printing number difference between having wooden or cardboard coins.

I am also looking for good foreign currency to use for 7 Wonders coins. So far, I guess I'll be getting Euro-cents, but that's just because getting foreign coins is a pain in the rear end, and I live in Denmark, so I can get Euros in Germany.

There's the metal coins for Viticulture, which I'm already tempted to grab despite only playing one game so far. May not be enough money for 7-8 players in 7 Wonders though.

There's probably also metal coins you can buy from a game supply site or other place.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

For our final game yesterday we decided to unwrap my brand new copy of Space Alert. We tried reading through the intro book, and then played Ticket to Ride :cool:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rexides posted:

For our final game yesterday we decided to unwrap my brand new copy of Space Alert. We tried reading through the intro book, and then played Ticket to Ride :cool:

i'm sorry your group is a bunch of scared idiot children.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

In their defence, it was getting late and while we all agreed that all the bits and pieces looked cool, we thought we should devote a different day for that one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

i'm sorry your group is a bunch of scared idiot children.

Nobody should try to read a Chvatil rulebook at the end of a night and expect to play the game. Even his fervent cheerleaders agree on that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think people got thrown off by the :cool: at the end of the sentence, that's all.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

you dweebs can't handle my ironiposting :cool:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

The difference gets more extreme as you get more sets. If you start with all sets then base cards are going to get on average 20 times the wear of kingdom cards. You'll have two sets though.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Played Dead of Winter at board games again. Disappointed again. Traitor didn't trait at all until the final round, and had the final turn, so we just had to hope that they'd complete our objective so we could win. Being a traitor, they didn't. The end.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Both of these happen at the end of the day phase, see the top of page 8 in the manual.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

3.The White Power that gives you a discount on the cost of all powers doesn't actually lower the level your pyramid needs to be to get them, just the cost itself.

Yep.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mega64 posted:

Last game of the night was my copy of Viticulture with three players. It took several turns to kinda click with everyone, and I didn't realize until three or so years in that grapes and wine age (which I probably should've caught since it's pretty intuitive and all), but it's a pretty nice worker placement game. I'm curious if any buildings are worth it besides the ones that let you grow bigger vines, the Yoke, and the Cellars, since those were the only ones that were built the game (though I can imagine the one that lets you draw an extra card in the Fall would be very useful). I can definitely see even with three players how competitive and cutthroat it can be to do all the actions you want to do, especially in the end where I could've won if I Harvested/Made Wine/Fulfilled an Order with my three workers left, but I knew one of the other players would block me from making wine and I needed the Grande for fulfilling the order, so instead I had to gamble on drawing more Wine Orders, which didn't work out. As a fan of Agricola, I can't wait to see how horrible and cutthroat it gets with four or six players. Grande workers are definitely useful in this game, and I'm glad there's an out that doesn't completely screw you over while still being not enough to bail you out if you decide to go last in turn order. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it again.

So how is Tuscany, anyway? I'll probably try to grab it once I get a couple more games of Viticulture in and when it gets up on CSI or wherever.

Tuscany is just more ways to shake up Viticulture.. Semi-random starting conditions, secret objectives, a bigger board with a territory-control minigame, more visitors, more functions for existing visitors...

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

Thankfully nobody in my group is dumb enough to riffle and bridge shuffle my games...

Wait, what's the accepted method of shuffling a stack of cards? You get more bending with a bridge, but I figure it must be better than smushing stacks together.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pro tip for Dominion cards: When putting the game away, put the cards you used back on the bottom of the pile instead of on the top. Otherwise you'll end up with, for example, the top-most coppers being almost completely worn out while the ones at the bottom are pristine (because no-one ever buys that much copper).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rivensteel posted:

Wait, what's the accepted method of shuffling a stack of cards? You get more bending with a bridge, but I figure it must be better than smushing stacks together.

For stuff that's not sleeved, probably over-under shuffling and/or pile shuffles? Bridge/Smushing wears the cards down pretty fast comparatively.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Re: coins in games. What's wrong with actual regular rear end currency? It's cheap, plentiful and feels like a real coin because it's a real coin. I get that you want to have metal play money, but what about.... Real money? In fact, you could force buy ins on games and have the winner keep all the real currency they've collected over the game. Just let them color up at the end of the night.
They get like two or three dollars (unlikely) and you collect the rest as tribute for hosting. (Or just give them money to play with if you're not a cheap rear end in a top hat)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My shuffle method is what my table has deemed "sloppy shuffle" (it probably has a different name), where I just pick up the whole stack and grab half of it, and start dropping a card or two on the top and bottom back and forth, repeat as needed. Takes about 10 seconds, probably doesn't give the most even shuffle, but it's decent enough.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uhhh lots of people who play board games don't gamble? Plus, real money has a tendency to make your hands smell funny.

I've honestly never heard that suggestion, though! Poker chips (the small ones) to keep track of money in economic games like 18xx, all the time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The most dangerous game (of 18XX): if you go bankrupt in game, you go bankrupt IN REAL LIFE :supaburn:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Frisk posted:

Re: coins in games. What's wrong with actual regular rear end currency? It's cheap, plentiful and feels like a real coin because it's a real coin. I get that you want to have metal play money, but what about.... Real money? In fact, you could force buy ins on games and have the winner keep all the real currency they've collected over the game. Just let them color up at the end of the night.
They get like two or three dollars (unlikely) and you collect the rest as tribute for hosting. (Or just give them money to play with if you're not a cheap rear end in a top hat)

For 7 Wonders in particular, I want to keep the increasing size = increasing value, which would lead to a bit of a disconnect when dimes are worth less than nickels/pennies in game. Also, I'd like something more thematically appropriate; there aren't any American wonders in the game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

silvergoose posted:

Uhhh lots of people who play board games don't gamble? Plus, real money has a tendency to make your hands smell funny.

I've honestly never heard that suggestion, though! Poker chips (the small ones) to keep track of money in economic games like 18xx, all the time.

I'm sort of tempted to just pack a set of poker chips in with my general gaming kit and forgo the fiddly coin tokens that every game comes with. They're universal, you can pretty much get them in whatever style you want, and if you get the good ones that are made of clay or whatever, they have a really nice heft. I think if I ever start doing game compression for storage I'll end up doing that.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jabor posted:

Pro tip for Dominion cards: When putting the game away, put the cards you used back on the bottom of the pile instead of on the top. Otherwise you'll end up with, for example, the top-most coppers being almost completely worn out while the ones at the bottom are pristine (because no-one ever buys that much copper).

On a semi-related note - if you play using the randomizer cards and have enough expansions, you can rotate your cards in a similar way to get a variety of games by putting the game you just played at the bottom of the pile.
You can also do something similar to the old "veto mode" on Isotropic.
Pick one extra kingdom card for each player - allow each player in turn order to choose a card to "veto" a card for that game. At the end of the game, put the cards picked at the bottom of your randomizer pile and the vetoed cards at the top for the next game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I got to try out the Draughts café in London on Sunday. Got there at 10:30am and there were only a few people there, so it was easy to grab a table and some games. The layout of the place is good, and £5 entry fee is pretty fair.

They ran out of food by 12pm, and you’re not allowed to bring food in. By food I mean premade sandwiches (£5) and small bags of popcorn (£4.50). I’m all for non-Cola/Pepsi soft drinks but their ‘local’ brands of cola and lemonade were pretty disgusting. When asking for water, they came in tiny glasses, I’m guessing because they charge for bottled water. I get that they make their income from the food, but it’s still pretty stiff.

The place was packed by 1pm and stayed like that until the evening. Around 5pm they started playing music, which confused me as it had been getting harder to hear people anyway due to the crowds. I did enjoy it there though and would go again, I just wish they could rejig their business model a bit.

Terror in Meeple City and The Resistance: First time I played both, both went down fantastically and I want to play them again.

Dixit Jinx: Just dull dull dull.

Dead of Winter: Before this,  I played a forum game, found it pretty unbalanced and questionable, despite the decent theme. Playing it in real life had the downside of a long set-up and put away time. The unbalanced mess of the game did not make up for this. I was the betrayer in a 5 player group, but we still didn’t stand a chance even when I was TRYING to help them win so the game would go on long enough to vaguely possibly collect the 6 food cards I needed to get my secret objective. The idea that the set-up for the game is the same whether it was 5v0 or 4v1 is horrible, and the Crossroads cards inevitably screw you over but are again just occur randomly. The only positive I can say is that I now know I don’t want to play it ever again.

Caverna: I liked it but I also had to ‘teach’ it when we went along having just watched one runthrough. I think a smaller/simpler worker placement game would have been better for the occasion. But it’s always tough playing and learning such a long game in one go, I can only imagine how I’d feel if I played Twilight Struggle for the first time under similar circumstances.

Galaxy Trucker: Good but I was rushed and playing 2p with my bro and we both had the app anyway, so apart from the ship-building, all the book-keeping of the trip felt like a hassle. First World Board Game Problems! We should get it out for 3-4 players I think.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm sort of tempted to just pack a set of poker chips in with my general gaming kit and forgo the fiddly coin tokens that every game comes with. They're universal, you can pretty much get them in whatever style you want, and if you get the good ones that are made of clay or whatever, they have a really nice heft. I think if I ever start doing game compression for storage I'll end up doing that.

Yeah, at cons for, as I said, 18xx or other economic games, it's always post chips or someone has a laptop open recording with a spreadsheet.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
There was a print error on the progress board of Dungeon Lords Anniversary, which they first tried to fix with a sticker. Now Vlaada made a rules change to compensate for it, since people weren't particularly happy with the sticker idea:

quote:

"Before the Production and Orders Retrieval phase of the first year, deal two Pet cards to each player. Players keep them face down. As soon as a player is done with the Production and Orders Retrieval phase, he or she can take a look at the cards, and start picking the one to pass to his or her neighbor. Then continue as per the original rules."

Vlaada states that it does not change the gameplay, and that it can actually speed up the game a bit. For his explanation, read the Kickstarter comments section .

Interesting turn of events. :)

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Fat Turkey posted:

I got to try out the Draughts café in London on Sunday. Got there at 10:30am and there were only a few people there, so it was easy to grab a table and some games. The layout of the place is good, and £5 entry fee is pretty fair.

They ran out of food by 12pm, and you’re not allowed to bring food in. By food I mean premade sandwiches (£5) and small bags of popcorn (£4.50). I’m all for non-Cola/Pepsi soft drinks but their ‘local’ brands of cola and lemonade were pretty disgusting. When asking for water, they came in tiny glasses, I’m guessing because they charge for bottled water. I get that they make their income from the food, but it’s still pretty stiff.

The place was packed by 1pm and stayed like that until the evening. Around 5pm they started playing music, which confused me as it had been getting harder to hear people anyway due to the crowds. I did enjoy it there though and would go again, I just wish they could rejig their business model a bit.

Terror in Meeple City and The Resistance: First time I played both, both went down fantastically and I want to play them again.

Dixit Jinx: Just dull dull dull.

Dead of Winter: Before this,  I played a forum game, found it pretty unbalanced and questionable, despite the decent theme. Playing it in real life had the downside of a long set-up and put away time. The unbalanced mess of the game did not make up for this. I was the betrayer in a 5 player group, but we still didn’t stand a chance even when I was TRYING to help them win so the game would go on long enough to vaguely possibly collect the 6 food cards I needed to get my secret objective. The idea that the set-up for the game is the same whether it was 5v0 or 4v1 is horrible, and the Crossroads cards inevitably screw you over but are again just occur randomly. The only positive I can say is that I now know I don’t want to play it ever again.

Caverna: I liked it but I also had to ‘teach’ it when we went along having just watched one runthrough. I think a smaller/simpler worker placement game would have been better for the occasion. But it’s always tough playing and learning such a long game in one go, I can only imagine how I’d feel if I played Twilight Struggle for the first time under similar circumstances.

Galaxy Trucker: Good but I was rushed and playing 2p with my bro and we both had the app anyway, so apart from the ship-building, all the book-keeping of the trip felt like a hassle. First World Board Game Problems! We should get it out for 3-4 players I think.

To be honest, London on Board is so much better that I'd struggle to justify going to Draughts. 6 days a week, good food and drink in gastropubs (admittedly expensive, but sounds about the same price as you were paying), no entry fee. Maybe not quite the same game selection, but so long as you're prepared to learn something new I've never had a problem finding a game I'm interested in.

I'd love there to be a really good gaming cafe in London (I went to one in Copenhagen that was outstanding and I've heard good things about the one in Oxford), but as you say it sounds like a miserly business model and its probably best not to reward that.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

The End posted:

They also make a nice Dominion Base Card set, I think it's like $11 US for a small box with just replacement currency/victory/curse/potion cards, all with nicer and more distinct artwork:

I dislike the feel of sleeves, and honestly the Dominion cards are sturdier and better made than most games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

On a semi-related note - if you play using the randomizer cards and have enough expansions, you can rotate your cards in a similar way to get a variety of games by putting the game you just played at the bottom of the pile.
You can also do something similar to the old "veto mode" on Isotropic.
Pick one extra kingdom card for each player - allow each player in turn order to choose a card to "veto" a card for that game. At the end of the game, put the cards picked at the bottom of your randomizer pile and the vetoed cards at the top for the next game.

I played Veto mode once. The first person vetoed King's Court. The second person vetoed Goons. I vetoed playing with those monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I played Veto mode once. The first person vetoed King's Court. The second person vetoed Goons. I vetoed playing with those monsters.

The last game of Dominion I played featured King's Court and Goons. After I ended it with twice as many points as the other three players combined, I think they might veto at least one of them in future.

(They have said that they're determined to beat me at the game, so a lesson in humility is forthcoming.)