Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I brought my 360 home and immediately hooked it up via VGA cable to a 4:3 CRT monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

homeless snail posted:

I brought my 360 home and immediately hooked it up via VGA cable to a 4:3 CRT monitor.

yup

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It was considered a very big problem with Dead Rising that the text was hard to read if you didn't play the game on a HDTV.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

We've traded blurry font for hideously small font. Take that, progress. (Since I'm a twentysomething who, in the best of times, makes a little above minimum wage I have a 26" TV. The onscreen text on GTA V and a ton of other games is seriously tough to read. God save the poor bastards who have bad eyesight or even tinier TVs)

Also, I continue to find more reasons to love the Miiverse in 3d world. There's something sickly entertaining going from "Meh too easy!" posts to hitting the special world and suddenly all the miiverse posts are battle tallies. "lost 30 lives" reads one. "Used a cat suit." reads another.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fritzler posted:

I was just able to order a gamecube adapter for MSRP at Best Buy following these directions if anyone else still needs one.

doing this tomorrow, TY

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, I continue to find more reasons to love the Miiverse in 3d world. There's something sickly entertaining going from "Meh too easy!" posts to hitting the special world and suddenly all the miiverse posts are battle tallies. "lost 30 lives" reads one. "Used a cat suit." reads another.

It was always great seeing those kind of posts from the exact same people. Not so high and mighty now that you're in Mario Hell, huh?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Shlapintogan posted:

It was always great seeing those kind of posts from the exact same people. Not so high and mighty now that you're in Mario Hell, huh?

Seriously. It looks like heaven, but you find out it's hell.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still haven't finished the last 2 levels of 3D World. Nintendo does not gently caress around

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got around to finishing Captain Toad. The ending was, as expected, very cute. But I have no idea how anyone could have had issues with those last levels. The whole game was pretty easy, and I had no issue getting through that last level the first time. I died a handful of times throughout, and usually it was because the camera got in the way and I fell off of something. Maybe the Japanese version is easier, or I'm missing something :shrug:. I still have to go through the 3D world bonus levels, and I have a bunch of challenges left to do.

Overall, a great first purchase. :)

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 12, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Drastic Actions posted:

Got around to finishing Captain Toad. The ending was, as expected, very cute. But I have no idea how anyone could have had issues with those last levels. The whole game was pretty easy, and I had no issue getting through that last level the first time. I died a handful of times throughout, and usually it was because the camera got in the way and I fell off of something. Maybe the Japanese version is easier, or I'm missing something :shrug:. I still have to go through the 3D world bonus levels, and I have a bunch of challenges left to do.

This is adorable.

Keep that wide eyed innocence, friend. Captain Toad has yet to show you what he's made of.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What games let multiple players play online with other players?

My friend and I really enjoy being able to team up in Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 against other people, are there any other games like this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Away all Goats posted:

What games let multiple players play online with other players?

My friend and I really enjoy being able to team up in Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 against other people, are there any other games like this?

Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed does, if you want more kart-racing shenanigans.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

elf help book posted:

It was considered a very big problem with Dead Rising that the text was hard to read if you didn't play the game on a HDTV.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was my tipping point in buying a PS3. A matter of days later, it also became my tipping point in buying a TV larger than 20". All of the HUD text was not just illegible, but unrecognizable as even being text in the first place.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If anyone has both the Wii U and 3DS versions of smash, reminder that you have to order your bonus soundtrack CD in the next couple of days, the cutoff is Jan 13

I have family living in the US so I shipped it to them and will probably get it 6 months from now when I forgot it exists

Edit: got the cutoff wrong

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 12, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

January 13 is actually the last day you can order it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

enojy posted:

Metal Gear Solid 4 was my tipping point in buying a PS3. A matter of days later, it also became my tipping point in buying a TV larger than 20". All of the HUD text was not just illegible, but unrecognizable as even being text in the first place.

This, Mass Effect 2 and Dead Rising 1 had the worst text ever if you had a small SD tv. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games ever but yellow orange and red text on a red background uuuhhh yeah okay sure sounds great!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Crossposting from the 3DS thread for Ninten-chat:

Are Nintendo losing relevance these days? I thought they were doing better the last year or so, but these stats seem to suggest otherwise? Kind of interesting. I did not write this, but I do edit this site. Just wondering why this would be. http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/interest-nintendo-now-time-low-worried/

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

How many levels did you actually play?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Captain Toad is not a challenging game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Captain Toad is not a challenging game.

I agree, the mummy-me maze isn't a challenge its just bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's fine, there's just not a lot to it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PoshAlligator posted:

Are Nintendo losing relevance these days? I thought they were doing better the last year or so, but these stats seem to suggest otherwise? Kind of interesting. I did not write this, but I do edit this site. Just wondering why this would be. http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/interest-nintendo-now-time-low-worried/

"Should Nintendo be worried?" says idiot website

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was kinda hoping Captain Toad would have a heavily edited version of Champion's Road with a million ramps since he can't jump

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

"Should Nintendo be worried?" says idiot website

I had a look on trends myself and it seems that Xbox is a super high search terms compared to Nintendo and PlayStation, even at the moment: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=playstation%2C%20nintendo%2C%20xbox&cmpt=q&tz=

Though, the console names are more as you'd expect: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=wii%20u%2C%20xbox%20one%2C%20ps4&cmpt=q&tz=

I think Google Trends can be pretty interesting.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why do people on a digital publication go by screennames

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Why do people on a digital publication go by screennames

To be super shady.

I don't know - that's just the way it was done when I started. Do you want to know my real name?

e: It didn't start out with the aim to be super-editorially or anything, it just kind of grew out of a side project. Might be why.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Does anyone know if I can disable MiiVerse/posting stuff with the Wii U and it's games?

Mainly the MiiVerse screen that comes up when you are on the main menu as well as in-game posts (like for Mario Bros U). For one, it's annoying and 2 I am not comfortable with my kids being able to see whatever comments or drawings show up (some have been PG to PG-13).

It seems like it either can't be disabled, or can be very loosely controlled by turning off the posting options (which the kids could turn back on).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PoshAlligator posted:

Yeah I feel like the current batch of people buying "core" Nintendo products are largely people who grew up with the stuff. Kids today don't care about Mario as much as Minecraft, and gameboys aren't the babysitting tool they used to be when an iPad is like the best possible distraction for a kid.

It does feel like Nintendo games still exist in a whole different era but that's why I really loved getting the Wii U I think.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Does anyone know if I can disable MiiVerse/posting stuff with the Wii U and it's games?

Mainly the MiiVerse screen that comes up when you are on the main menu as well as in-game posts (like for Mario Bros U). For one, it's annoying and 2 I am not comfortable with my kids being able to see whatever comments or drawings show up (some have been PG to PG-13).

It seems like it either can't be disabled, or can be very loosely controlled by turning off the posting options (which the kids could turn back on).
Is there nothing in Parental Controls?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I feel like the current batch of people buying "core" Nintendo products are largely people who grew up with the stuff. Kids today don't care about Mario as much as Minecraft, and gameboys aren't the babysitting tool they used to be when an iPad is like the best possible distraction for a kid.

It does feel like Nintendo games still exist in a whole different era but that's why I really loved getting the Wii U I think.

I booted up SM3DWorld for the first time in a long while yesterday and drat it is just a whole different gaming experience to other consoles. Actually relaxing.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

I had a look on trends myself and it seems that Xbox is a super high search terms compared to Nintendo and PlayStation, even at the moment: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=playstation%2C%20nintendo%2C%20xbox&cmpt=q&tz=

Though, the console names are more as you'd expect: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=wii%20u%2C%20xbox%20one%2C%20ps4&cmpt=q&tz=

I think Google Trends can be pretty interesting.

Charts and graphs :madmax:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

PoshAlligator posted:

I'd argue they aren't. The Wii-U doesn't seem to be considered a part of the "Console Wars". Anecdotal, and within my circle of friends (30-something lifetime nerds, most married/long term relationship, some with kids), a lot of us are still rocking our last-gen systems...except for either a 3DS or a Wii U. PS3 or XBox 360 are both "good enough", but the Nintendo systems are really picking up steam. I have more and more people on facebook commenting on some Wii U or 3DS game they picked up and can't put down than anything about any Sony/MS game. My N64 still sees use, my Wii still sees use, but we sure as hell got rid of our PS1 and PS2 systems.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Drastic Actions posted:

Maybe I'm missing something :shrug:. [...] I still have to go through the 3D world bonus levels

You are missing quite a few things. Have fun!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nintendo is currently making shitloads of cash from toys that barely do loving anything and have the most popular/profitable handheld games in existence, they're nowhere close to irrelevance.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Siochain posted:

I'd argue they aren't. The Wii-U doesn't seem to be considered a part of the "Console Wars". Anecdotal, and within my circle of friends (30-something lifetime nerds, most married/long term relationship, some with kids), a lot of us are still rocking our last-gen systems...except for either a 3DS or a Wii U. PS3 or XBox 360 are both "good enough", but the Nintendo systems are really picking up steam. I have more and more people on facebook commenting on some Wii U or 3DS game they picked up and can't put down than anything about any Sony/MS game. My N64 still sees use, my Wii still sees use, but we sure as hell got rid of our PS1 and PS2 systems.

Yeah, a lot of people I know don't see too much reason to upgrade their PS3 or 360.

Wii U seems to be the most obvious step-up when you take each company on their own. Wii U didn't faff around with cross-gen poo poo and it's been stronger for it I think.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
What's the best controller for Virtual Console stuff on the Wii U? I know the Wii U Pro controller is probably best for titles that are available on the Wii U VC, but a good number of titles are only available on the Wii VC still. Therefore I'll need a classic controller pro compatible controller.

Should I pick up the new Hori Gamecube-like Battle Pad or just a Classic Controller Pro? I guess the Gamecube button layout would not be great for SNES action games.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Suaimhneas posted:

You are missing quite a few things. Have fun!

I didn't notice that there were other chapters in that last book, so I started to skip through them.

Still waiting for anything really challenging. The mummy maze parts can be a bit frustrating I guess, because I keep getting lost or falling off ledges because of the camera, but there has yet to be a puzzle in the game where I could not figure it out at all, or I had to look at a walkthrough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brainwrinkle posted:

What's the best controller for Virtual Console stuff on the Wii U? I know the Wii U Pro controller is probably best for titles that are available on the Wii U VC, but a good number of titles are only available on the Wii VC still. Therefore I'll need a classic controller pro compatible controller.

Should I pick up the new Hori Gamecube-like Battle Pad or just a Classic Controller Pro? I guess the Gamecube button layout would not be great for SNES action games.

Just get yourself a Classic Controller Pro, and a Wiimote Plus if you don't own one already. Or go as close to a SNES controller as you can get and hunt down one of the original Classic Controllers.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

PoshAlligator posted:

Yeah, a lot of people I know don't see too much reason to upgrade their PS3 or 360.

Wii U seems to be the most obvious step-up when you take each company on their own. Wii U didn't faff around with cross-gen poo poo and it's been stronger for it I think.

Lots of people I know went PS4. I'm the only Wii U guy I know, and I bought that one second. In fact of the people I know who have or had consoles, all of them bar one (so 6, and not even remotely representative of anything) got a PS4.

I think Nintendo certainly aren't at the peak they were in the 80s and 90s. They were important to kids then and during the Wii boom they weren't important, they were toys for adults, who tend to not to care too deeply about this sort of thing.

Kids still like the poo poo out of Nintendo characters. My daughter screams Princess Peach any time she jumps off something, and plays with her Mario doll. They have the kid pleasing potential, they just need a good platform to grab kids with again. The Wii U isn't it at the moment unfortunately.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Von Linus posted:

Lots of people I know went PS4. I'm the only Wii U guy I know, and I bought that one second. In fact of the people I know who have or had consoles, all of them bar one (so 6, and not even remotely representative of anything) got a PS4.

I think Nintendo certainly aren't at the peak they were in the 80s and 90s. They were important to kids then and during the Wii boom they weren't important, they were toys for adults, who tend to not to care too deeply about this sort of thing.

Kids still like the poo poo out of Nintendo characters. My daughter screams Princess Peach any time she jumps off something, and plays with her Mario doll. They have the kid pleasing potential, they just need a good platform to grab kids with again. The Wii U isn't it at the moment unfortunately.

The kids I know love the poo poo out of Nintendo IPs on Wii U - Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World. It's a case of making it seem good value for parents mostly.

I think Wii U is probably the most appealing current gen console for a parent for their children - but the issue is "why buy current gen" I think. I've seen a lot of good prices and bundles on Wii Us around Christmas, so maybe that could change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Siochain posted:

Yeah, my PS3 and 360 are good enough to be honest. There just isn't that much on PS4 or Xbone that isn't already on PS3 or 360. I'll probably buy a PS4 once Street Fighter V comes out, but I just don't have a really good reason to plop down lots of money on a new console yet. Almost everyone I know who got new gen console basically used it for Netlix then sold it because they needed the money because they dropped 5 bills on a new console at launch.

Of course, it took me two years to actually want to get a Wii U.

What I'm saying is, being an early adopter is for chumps. Don't ever preorder games. You can wait. The price will go down. Get it for cheap on Amazon or a pawn shop. You don't even know if that game that isn't out yet is good or not. Just because it's a sequel to a game you liked doesn't mean it'll be good. Don't be a schmuck and grab something on its release day because other people are doing it.

• Locked thread