Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

the only thing zero mission did better than super was controls, that aside super was better in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

one of my favorite little details in super metroid is the mysterious decapitated body surrounded by all the flies in front of kraid's lair. i remember as a kid thinking like whoa this game loving owns and also thinking that as an adult

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i never played metroid prime 2 or 3 and the wii u trilogy pack is too drat exxpensie

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Evil Eagle posted:

How is the Annihilator beam bad? The base shot homes in on stuff and the charge shot does an insane amount of damage to everything, plus you get ammo of both types when you kill things. wtf.

it is not nearly as cool as the others and the charge shot is slow but the homing is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyu5OaynGFU

the original effect was baller as hell

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
the annihilator beam is plenty loving cool. it's called the "annihilator beam" and it that wasn't enough it uses the same arm cannon formation as plasma in Prime 1 so you KNOW it's loving awesome. and it makes a neat sound effect. and its beam combo is a god drat fast moving wall of sonic-induced pain.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
also if you used it on the crystals in the dark world it made the ing suicide on them like retarded moths.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

AHungryRobot posted:

also if you used it on the crystals in the dark world it made the ing suicide on them like retarded moths.

i forgot about this.

i will reclassify it as Good. it's been long enough i will not trust my memory.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

yeah this was the best thing

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

oh man I totally forgot about that but yes that was the best part of it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

imho fusion might be higher on my personal list than zero mission

Same tbh

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i also like fusion better than zero mission. fusion is also the game that got me into metroid as a kid so i have a soft spot for it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I like/have finished Super/ZM/Fusion and those games own. I've never finished any of the prime games even though I own the metal-case trilogy on Wii.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this thread made me want to replay the primes but i quickly realized i know the games by heart so there's not a lot of fun in doing that. ive just played them to death tbh

the giant slow intro on prime 3 that lasts 2 loving hours doesnt help either. i dont understand why theres no option to just skip it and start on bryyo

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if you want a new way to play prime 1, do low% and get the ice beam and plasma beam way early. the plasma beam early thing is siiiiiiiiiiick

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
prime 3 felt like such a 'release game' for the wii, unfortunately

at least it introduced the best fps controls of all time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zero mission is infinitely better than metroid fusion

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Zero mission is infinitely better than metroid fusion

they each have their strengths. it depends on what you want out of a metroid game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A good time usually.
Hmmmmmm

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Metroid fusion is in the shitheap with metroid 2 and other m

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
fusion's not my favorite either but it's way the gently caress better than other m.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

AHungryRobot posted:

fusion's not my favorite either but it's way the gently caress better than other m.

Diarrhea and dog logs both go in the shitheap

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

i never played metroid prime 2 or 3 and the wii u trilogy pack is too drat exxpensie

i have it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
why tf isn't Zero Mission on the Wii U virtual console god drat

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

thuly posted:

Diarrhea and dog logs both go in the shitheap

it's more the difference between a helpful bag of manure and an overflowing septic tank.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

thuly posted:

Metroid fusion is in the shitheap with metroid 2 and other m

agreed, i'm kind of vehement that all the problems of other m are visible in their larval forms in fusion, espeically since they're both sakamato games about his self-insert adam

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
this was brought up earlier but not gone into:

prime 3 was gonna be a game about bounty hunting where you go to planets and kill people for money. the idea was shot down because (i'm not making this up) yoshio sakamoto was against samus doing such a dishonorable thing as killing for money.

after much discussion and research, it was eventually discovered that samus was only initially called a "bounty hunter" in the 1987 metroid because that's what boba fett was and the phrase sounded cool at at the time, without sakamoto actually bothering to look up what it actually loving meant.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Broken Loose posted:

prime 3 was gonna be a game about bounty hunting where you go to planets and kill people for money. the idea was shot down because (i'm not making this up) yoshio sakamoto was against samus doing such a dishonorable thing as killing for money.

after much discussion and research, it was eventually discovered that samus was only initially called a "bounty hunter" in the 1987 metroid because that's what boba fett was and the phrase sounded cool at at the time, without sakamoto actually bothering to look up what it actually loving meant.

thats really cool imo

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i'm pretty sure it's the opposite of cool. the original prime 3 was gonna be awesome and got scrapped halfway because the idiot creator of the metroid series didn't know his waifu was a contract killer by his own canon.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

nope i just checked and its actually very cool

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goddamn lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Broken Loose posted:

ugh

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

also very cool: dig dug is mr drillers dad

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i want a star fox post-credit sequence to metroid prime 3 where after saving the galaxy from phazon and poo poo it counts everything you murdered and calculates a bill and the head guy from GF goes "WAIT W-WHAAA"

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:yikes:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
What I want out of a new metroid game is Prey 2 with a Samus skin

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

did u know?? samus aran is a foot and 4 inches taller than me, isnt life amazinfg

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
if the (hopefully) inevitable 3DS metroid game has a dumb fuckin 2.5d artstyle i'm gopnna be friggin pissed

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
A metroid with a comic book visual sounds stupid as hell but zero mission looked pretty good regardless

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

if the (hopefully) inevitable 3DS metroid game has a dumb fuckin 2.5d artstyle i'm gopnna be friggin pissed

same. this was my biggest disappointment with the new zelda. oh great, im playing a game that's struggling to look better than an N64 title wow.

give me pretty smooth high-def sprites or give me death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In keeping with the trend of using arts and crafts materials as inspiration, Nintendo will make the next Metroid a 2d game with a perler art style.

• Locked thread