Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

For arguments sake let's say you were doing DHCP on switches, if those switches were a Cisco stack with two members, does that automatically make the DHCP service HA, or do you have to pick a stack member for the service to run on?

I know there's a Cisco thread but this seems a bit trivial and it's sort of on topic for here now.

Automagically HA

Now let's never speak of this again

skooky fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Thanks Ants posted:

Actually seeing those four letters together brought back a deeply-buried memory of a previous job where my boss kept massive spreadsheets of static IP addresses for things like printers, scanners, cameras, access points etc. and made the argument against setting static leases of "well, what if the DHCP service fails?". Which I never really understood because the clients wouldn't be doing much at that point and so it wouldn't matter.

Speaking of static IP spreadsheets, we recently scuttled ours for GestioIP ( :france: ) and it's pretty nice. Took all of an hour to get going with AD auth. Our infra engineer and vm admin get the most use out of it but it's nice to have if I forget the name of a server and don't have the DNS MMC snapin loaded on the computer I'm using. Infra guy set it to poll all of the subnets so now it's a central list of every IP device out there in a nice organized list. Bonus, it comes with a plain user group so I can give "look, don't touch" access to our more fuckup prone techs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Che Delilas posted:

next time I suggest getting your recruiting help from Robert Half.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Can we go back to talking about running DHCP on switches?

It's just the worst. :unsmigghh:

At least you don't have to worry about CALs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Once again I find myself explaining to Comcast that yes, I have a home account and a business account for my home. I have to explain for the umpteenth time that I have a home account for Xfinity TV channels and a business account for my internet and phone bundle that gives me static IP addresses and allows me to run services at my end hassle-free.

I recently moved and Comcast gave me this fancy-pants gateway/wireless/switch thingy to replace my old gateway and I realized that I'm constantly broadcasting a SSID called "xfinitywifi" so that any Comcast user who wants to can log into this SSID and use MY BANDWIDTH for free. Isn't that nice of me? gently caress you Comcast.

But there's more!

I have a Sonicwall NSA4500 that I use for my firewall and to host BGP-enbled VPN connections to the various datacenters and Amazon Regions in which I host gear and when I tried to turn this fancy-pants gateway/wireless/switch thingy into dumb gateway mode to pass my static IP addresses straight to my firewall WAN interface I couldn't find the means to do it. So I call Comcast and was told by the technician NOT TO DO THIS BECUASE YOU WILL BREAK STUFF. When I told him I knew what I was doing and can I please have the same configuration I had at my last house less than a month ago, I was told it wasn't possible. "Bullshit!" I say and then hang up, redialing Comcast to get a different technician.

So this technician tells me that all I have to do is disable DHCP and turn off the firewall to enable "Pass-Through mode". Which is also bullshit, because I'd still be using the 10.x.y.z network only now I'd have no DHCP server and no firewall protecting my poo poo.

I hang up and call back a third time (and Yes! I DID know that I can look up the status of my account and any outages in my area by going online to Comcast.com! Thanks!) and finally get a technician who looks up from their book-o-scripts long enough to actually listen to my situation and agrees to send out a technician on their dime with a gateway that'll work like it used to work.

gently caress you Comcast.

edit: Also, gently caress me and my DIY proclivities.

"Nah," I say. "I'll wire up my new house with cat-5 and coax myself," I say.

"I totally have the free time to climb under and around and through my house to get wires from my cabinet in the (detached) garage to various places throughout the house," I say.

"It's not like I have a well-paying full time job that allows me the financial freedom to hire an electrician to do it cleaner, faster and better than I can," I say.

So now, is there a tool that allows me to test a network drop to figure out why the gently caress it takes five minutes to auto negotiate and pick up an IP address on any device on this drop, but the drop right next to it negotiates and picks up an IP address is less than a second? All I find on google are cable testers with two female RJ-45 ends to stick a cable in. Is there such thing as a network drop tester?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 11, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Agrikk posted:

So this technician tells me that all I have to do is disable DHCP and turn off the firewall to enable "Pass-Through mode". Which is also bullshit, because I'd still be using the 10.x.y.z network only now I'd have no DHCP server and no firewall protecting my poo poo.

This appears to be standard for Comcast dynamic IPs which as it is cheaper is OK I guess, the public IP port forwards everything to the private IP so it is a bit dumb on design.

We have annoying drifting audio lag from Comcast HDTV output which is very annoying and their support are 100% incompetent to resolve it, SDTV works fine, go figure.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Agrikk posted:

So now, is there a tool that allows me to test a network drop to figure out why the gently caress it takes five minutes to auto negotiate and pick up an IP address on any device on this drop, but the drop right next to it negotiates and picks up an IP address is less than a second? All I find on google are cable testers with two female RJ-45 ends to stick a cable in. Is there such thing as a network drop tester?

You can use a regular tester with a pair of known good patch cables to test the wall cabling :science:

e: be careful not to accidentally connect a tester to the switch, the voltage might burn out the port on the switch

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MrMoo posted:

This appears to be standard for Comcast dynamic IPs which as it is cheaper is OK I guess, the public IP port forwards everything to the private IP so it is a bit dumb on design.

I think what happened is that Comcast, being Comcast, gave me a home gateway instead of a business gateway and just set one of my static IP addresses on the WAN side. I wonder how they thought I was going to be able to use my other four statics?

mewse posted:

You can use a regular tester with a pair of known good patch cables to test the wall cabling :science:

e: be careful not to accidentally connect a tester to the switch, the voltage might burn out the port on the switch

Oh. Of course. Duh.

Priding myself on never making my own cables I never bought a cable tester, not realizing the other use for it. Thanks for the tip!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Have everyone seen this yet?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/volume-licensing/archive/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal.aspx

In short, you need a CAL to let your Printer or Apple TV get a DHCP from a Windows server.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Crowley posted:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/volume-licensing/archive/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal.aspx

In short, you need a CAL to let your Printer or Apple TV get a DHCP from a Windows server.

They are just trolling at this point.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Because "the printer replies to the server" you must purchase a CAL, even though it is the server communicating to the printer. Hilarious.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Agrikk posted:

I have a Sonicwall NSA4500 that I use for my firewall and to host BGP-enbled VPN connections to the various datacenters and Amazon Regions in which I host gear and when I tried to turn this fancy-pants gateway/wireless/switch thingy into dumb gateway mode to pass my static IP addresses straight to my firewall WAN interface I couldn't find the means to do it. So I call Comcast and was told by the technician NOT TO DO THIS BECUASE YOU WILL BREAK STUFF. When I told him I knew what I was doing and can I please have the same configuration I had at my last house less than a month ago, I was told it wasn't possible. "Bullshit!" I say and then hang up, redialing Comcast to get a different technician.

The new Cisco modems for Comcast business (medium sized black rectangular prism that stands upright) have an "enable bridge mode" idiot button that actually does break everything, and the correct way to hook it up to a firewall is to yell at the tech several times "DO NOT PRESS THE ENABLE BRIDGE MODE BUTTON". Then you tell them to turn on pass through mode "the long way" by turning off DHCP and clearing out all firewall rules. Ask me how I know.

I'm not sure what you mean by still being on the 10.x.x.x network - you can set the LAN static IP to whatever you want. Then as long as they've loaded the static properly on their end, it usually works...

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 12, 2015

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Happiness Commando posted:

The new Cisco modems for Comcast business (medium sized black rectangular prism that stands upright) have an "enable bridge mode" idiot button that actually does break everything, and the correct way to hook it up to a firewall is to yell at the tech several times "DO NOT PRESS THE ENABLE BRIDGE MODE BUTTON". Then you tell them to turn on pass through mode "the long way" by turning off DHCP and clearing out all firewall rules. Ask me how I know.

I'm not sure what you mean by still being on the 10.x.x.x network - you can set the LAN static IP to whatever you want. Then as long as they've loaded the static properly on their end, it usually works...

If you've got 5 static IPs, you don't want to be NATted through just one of them.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Crowley posted:

Figure out the times you'll need CALs for a website with accounts and then ask yourself why anyone would run Windows for this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Crowley posted:

I love that one of the questions literally ends with the phrase, "I guess the takeaway is to never use a Windows DHCP server?" and they just go right on ahead with, "Yes, they are using a Windows Server service and would need a CAL"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd have thought that in most environments each user would have a CAL anyway which should cover the printer (and whatever else) too.

---

Pissing me off today: trying to remote into my work to do a few tidy up things before I get back next week.
Firstly I'd forgotten just how badly our Sonicwall remote access box works - it needs either Java or ActiveX to actually connect and with more modern versions of IE there is the extra hoop of having to add it into the trusted sites list.
Secondly I'd forgotten how awful and unresponsive our terminal server is (I'm just sure my cheap as dirt residential ADSL isn't helping any)
Thirdly my inbox is full to the brim with requests for various things despite everyone knowing I'll be out of the office until next week

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thelightguy posted:

If you've got 5 static IPs, you don't want to be NATted through just one of them.

Also, double-NAT can be a bitch of thing.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Got a server throwing SCSI Abort errors in the VMWare logs, but the RAID status is optimal, and no smart errors.
Guess it's time again to phone Dell's useless support

dissss posted:

I'd have thought that in most environments each user would have a CAL anyway which should cover the printer (and whatever else) too.

If you had something like a linux web server for instance you wouldn't be covered by any user cals I don't think.

I wonder if anyone has been hosed over on auditing for poo poo like this.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 12, 2015

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dissss posted:

Two huge exceptions: shiftwork sites and schools.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Why are the instructions to every open source software the shittiest thing? Why do they all say "oh just enter the IP and credentials in the installer and it'll work that's really all there is to it :D" and then it doesn't and you go digging through their forums and turns out you have to edit this and configure this (and this isn't like a complicated custom setup, you absolutely have to do this for it to work) and all this poo poo that is literally nowhere in their documentation or wikis? I got it working now, but holy christ it sucked getting it there.

vv
Hah, yeah, that makes sense. I guess I really should know that, given how much of my time is spent translating poo poo to our users who have no idea what the gently caress about anything (public school system).

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 12, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Why are the instructions to every open source software the shittiest thing? Why do they all say "oh just enter the IP and credentials in the installer and it'll work that's really all there is to it :D" and then it doesn't and you go digging through their forums and turns out you have to edit this and configure this (and this isn't like a complicated custom setup, you absolutely have to do this for it to work) and all this poo poo that is literally nowhere in their documentation or wikis? I got it working now, but holy christ it sucked getting it there.

Because it makes total sense to the engineers who wrote it. Most engineers don't speak end user.

Seriously, like half my job is translating poo poo my engineers say.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ConfusedUs posted:

Seriously, like half my job is translating poo poo my engineers say.

I already told you, I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people, can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Che Delilas posted:

I already told you, I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people, can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

I make this joke about once a week.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Many years ago (before Office Space came out) when I worked at a call center I had an old guy named Earl on the team I supervised. I poo poo you not he had made a board game and was trying to get everyone to try it. I can't remember what it was about but I put up with enough crap at that place that I kept avoiding getting sucked into his product testing. One time I took Saturday off and got a call from work... Earl had had a stroke and got carted out on a stretcher. He returned a few weeks later but he had changed and was sort of pissed off all the time. Which is normal if you work at a call center.

When I saw Office Space it felt more like a biography than a comedy, right down to that goddamn banner they put up.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

What I meant was that I'd still be on a RFC 1918 network, and not on a publicly accessible space that routes to my 5 public IP addresses. I'm not sure I understand how turning off DHCP and clearing firewall rules achieves this. I'd still be behind a NAT device.

thelightguy posted:

This.

I want:
code:
(internet)---ComcastGateway--(PublicIPSpace)--Switch--Firewall1WANInterface--HomeNetwork
                                                  +-----Firewall2WANInterface--HomeOfficeNetworkWithBGPEnabledVPNTunnels
                                                  +----PubliclyAccessibleStandaloneServer
                                                  +--etc
and the current medium sized black rectangular prism that stands upright doesn't allow for this, which is why they are sending out a tech with a gateway that will allow this.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

That's good to know. Thank you.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I recently moved and Comcast gave me this fancy-pants gateway/wireless/switch thingy to replace my old gateway and I realized that I'm constantly broadcasting a SSID called "xfinitywifi" so that any Comcast user who wants to can log into this SSID and use MY BANDWIDTH for free. Isn't that nice of me? gently caress you Comcast.
It's a way of offering all Comcast customers free WiFi wherever they go — apparently it does not use your bandwidth, it's a separately partitioned part of the line — but it still leaves your router — and therefore LAN — open to attack via exploits.

Agrikk posted:

Most likely he meant the IPv6 part of the router config, in my part of the woods IPv4 is run traditionally with one public IP for the router and everything NAT'ed behind it on a 10.0.0./24 but at the same time IPv6 is pass-through and handled by the ISP's servers. You get your (in my example) ::/64 address space and stop worrying.

Agrikk posted:

I hang up and call back a third time (and Yes! I DID know that I can look up the status of my account and any outages in my area by going online to Comcast.com! Thanks!) and finally get a technician who looks up from their book-o-scripts long enough to actually listen to my situation and agrees to send out a technician on their dime with a gateway that'll work like it used to work.
It seems like you did your drops yourself. Have you tried just ripping the bad drop and terminating it again, just to exclude a wonky connection?

Agrikk posted:

edit: Also, gently caress me and my DIY proclivities.
See above. My Raspberry Pi media streamer thing has a bad connection because I ran out of proper RJ45 plugs and bought something from the local "whatever" parts shop. They're too small by .1 mm or something and sits too loose in every socket, from switch to TV. I have to wiggle it a bit every time I restart the Pi because of this.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 12, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Be a sys admin they said. You'll make a ton of money they said.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Be a sys admin they said. You'll make a ton of money they said.

It's challenging, to not kill yourself at least.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

vv
Hah, yeah, that makes sense. I guess I really should know that, given how much of my time is spent translating poo poo to our users who have no idea what the gently caress about anything (public school system).

There's always a bunch of neckbeards at every workplace who come out of the woodwork to somehow whiteknight this aspect of open source software, but the fact of that matter is that being free is a moot point when something sucks up an inordinate amount of time in configuration and maintenance. See: Nagios.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

vv

I'm an old linux admin who eventually became an NT and now a modern windows admin. I really love linux, but every time someone suggests I implement linux versions of xyz microsoft product my rear end in a top hat puckers up so hard I can't even pass gas for a month. As much as reading Microsoft documentation sucks, I can usually muddle through about any install they offer in fairly short order. Meanwhile in linuxland I'd probably still be installing the dependencies and oh wait oh poo poo this only works on RHEL 9, and for some reason PHP v 3.4, and the author is a groggy old neckbeard who died of a stroke two years ago and the guys currently maintaining the codebase are hosting a private war on what the new features should be, while one guy is arguing about what GNU like... really means man.

I can't be loving bothered.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm an old linux admin who eventually became an NT and now a modern windows admin. I really love linux, but every time someone suggests I implement linux versions of xyz microsoft product my rear end in a top hat puckers up so hard I can't even pass gas for a month. As much as reading Microsoft documentation sucks, I can usually muddle through about any install they offer in fairly short order. Meanwhile in linuxland I'd probably still be installing the dependencies and oh wait oh poo poo this only works on RHEL 9, and for some reason PHP v 3.4, and the author is a groggy old neckbeard who died of a stroke two years ago and the guys currently maintaining the codebase are hosting a private war on what the new features should be, while one guy is arguing about what GNU like... really means man.

I can't be loving bothered.

Hi, Linux hasn't had these problems in years. Dependency resolution happens automatically now, the RHEL and Ubuntu LTS lifecycles are long enough that you don't need to worry about distro versioning for software (and there's large enough that every major utility targets them, so they're guaranteed to work with the versions they have), and Linux is a lot more professional in general.

I could make a lot of 10-year old complaints about Windows, too, but they're both a lot better than they used to be. NT in particular was a steaming pile.

There's no reason to re-invent AD on Linux or anything (and AD is flatly better), but the world is a lot flatter than this.

psydude posted:

There's always a bunch of neckbeards at every workplace who come out of the woodwork to somehow whiteknight this aspect of open source software, but the fact of that matter is that being free is a moot point when something sucks up an inordinate amount of time in configuration and maintenance. See: Nagios.

Nagios sucks, and documentation sucks, but it's better than it used to be. At the very least, having most software on github or similar instead of tracking down a CVS repository to find a README makes it much easier to find a developer (or the appropriate IRC channel) if the docs are bad. And the docs are bad. But they're improving for most projects, and that's got to be worth something.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

psydude posted:

Coincidentally, I was at a conference recently (HECC) and took a class in FOSS, which is where I heard of the thing I've been installing and bitching about in the first place. They also kept bringing up Nagios a lot!

new bitch, users straight up lying to me about poo poo, take today for example:

:j: (email) The software we need installed for the testing tomorrow isn't installed at my school's labs, I checked this morning it's not there!
:confused: (email) Odd, I distinctly remember deploying it last night. Let's see what's happening
:confused: *checks, software is in fact installed on a random PC*
:confused: *checks, software is in fact installed on EVERY PC*
:confused: *checks, shortcut is even on all desktops*
:argh: *gets mad, checks logs, sees not only has :j: not logged in today, the lab computers haven't even been powered on today*
:argh: *realizes it's a snow day and :j: hasn't even been here today*

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 12, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evol262 posted:

Nagios sucks, and documentation sucks, but it's better than it used to be. At the very least, having most software on github or similar instead of tracking down a CVS repository to find a README makes it much easier to find a developer (or the appropriate IRC channel) if the docs are bad. And the docs are bad. But they're improving for most projects, and that's got to be worth something.

I just have a hard time understanding why we can drop $100,000 on IDS/IPS devices but won't spring for decent network monitoring/management software to track them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Nagios is the worst piece of poo poo I've ever used.

It's hella useful though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

I just have a hard time understanding why we can drop $100,000 on IDS/IPS devices but won't spring for decent network monitoring/management software to track them.

My experience has been that every network monitoring/alerting system sucks, just that Zabbix sucks the least and Nagios sucks a little harder than most (but it's old, it's flexible, and people are unreasonably attached to it).

For just monitoring traffic and graphing, there are a lot of good choices. Something about adding alerting/management drags it into a black hole of suck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We used WhatsUp Gold at my last job with the APM plugin and it did a pretty good job. Easy to configure and manage and it had some nice reporting and alerting features.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Speaking of poo poo/nonshit software, what are people using for documentation? I really like the look/feel of the fortinet document library (http://docs.fortinet.com) but it looks like something custom they did themselves. Would kill to have that kind of functionality in house for us.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

psydude posted:

We used WhatsUp Gold at my last job with the APM plugin and it did a pretty good job. Easy to configure and manage and it had some nice reporting and alerting features.

A guy that used to work here used it and it seemed alright. I should see if I can get my hands on it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

evol262 posted:

Hi, Linux hasn't had these problems in years. Dependency resolution happens automatically now, the RHEL and Ubuntu LTS lifecycles are long enough that you don't need to worry about distro versioning for software (and there's large enough that every major utility targets them, so they're guaranteed to work with the versions they have), and Linux is a lot more professional in general.

Man, our support guys run into dependency issues daily, so it can't be as automatic as all that.