Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it looks like just a licensing issue then I guess. I need to use it for a Univeristy project and was trying to avoid going in and using their machines but that looks unavoidable now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Valeyard posted:

Yeah it looks like just a licensing issue then I guess. I need to use it for a Univeristy project and was trying to avoid going in and using their machines but that looks unavoidable now

what gave it away? the clear error that said "licensing issue" or when someone read that clear error for you?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

shitface posted:

what gave it away? the clear error that said "licensing issue" or when someone read that clear error for you?
that's our valeyard!!!!

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

anthonypants posted:

that's our valeyard!!!!

valeyard did nothing wrong

i'm only sticking up for him because he's scottish and i like his bullshit and he might find a way to send square sausage to the us

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

shitface posted:

theres a good chance im retarded, but i just brushed that off thinking "if it was ACTUALLY a licensing issue it would have told me, rather than not let these functions work"

anyway i just found out we have a server to use with windows built in remote connection which isnt too laggy/delayed so this will probably work

shitface posted:

he might find a way to send square sausage to the us

9/11 literally destroyed your rights for square sausage RIP (and maybe our foot and mouth disease but :ssh:)

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 10, 2015

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i am using vagrant on a windows (vagrant is running a ubuntu vm). how do i make the (vagrant ssh) terminal ui not poo poo? I dont want the unreadable blues for directories when i ls, and I want to be able to left click and right click in the terminal and have it actually do seomthing. is this too much to ask for a linux?

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
whenever i try to cut a section out of an image using gimp and re-paste it as a new layer it leaves an ugly transparent checkerboard pattern around the cut
whats up with that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PS. Love the cabin posted:

whenever i try to cut a section out of an image using gimp and re-paste it as a new layer it leaves an ugly transparent checkerboard pattern around the cut
whats up with that?
that shouldn't happen unless i don't get you and you mean that checkerboard is where part you cut out used to be, but it's basically the way how gimp displays transparency

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

kalstrams posted:

that shouldn't happen unless i don't get you and you mean that checkerboard is where part you cut out used to be, but it's basically the way how gimp displays transparency

its not as pronounced with this example for some reason but you can see the areas where it doesn't line up like it should

i need to put something under his hand but every time i try to make it it's own layer this poo poo happens

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

its not as pronounced with this example for some reason but you can see the areas where it doesn't line up like it should

i need to put something under his hand but every time i try to make it it's own layer this poo poo happens

are you talking about the selection rectangle? is there a "Deselect All" option under the Edit menu or something?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
if you're on windows, use paint.net, it's nice

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
not the selection rectangle
there is a faint outline where the layer doesnt fit perfectly from where it came

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
did you feather the selection or is it a fuzzy selection somehow? just spitballin

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

not the selection rectangle
there is a faint outline where the layer doesnt fit perfectly from where it came

this happens on photoshop a lot too, if you select a part of an image and "new layer from cut" it leaves thsi really weird trace of where the image has been cut. or if you select and then delte, it can have teh same effect. I think it happens more often on low res images, but never found out why

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

bobbilljim posted:

did you feather the selection or is it a fuzzy selection somehow? just spitballin

i tried one without and its still there except much less noticeable

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
seconding the paint.net recommendation - it's a lot more user friendly compared to gimp but maybe less powerful

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

mitigation: copy paste instead of cut and paste

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Valeyard posted:

this happens on photoshop a lot too, if you select a part of an image and "new layer from cut" it leaves thsi really weird trace of where the image has been cut. or if you select and then delte, it can have teh same effect. I think it happens more often on low res images, but never found out why

yep and it's really annoying. some kind of sub-pixel fuckery i assume

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Valeyard posted:

probably because you're granny lassoing instead of copy/masking like you should

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Corla Plankun posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i used puush some time ago but had some stupid baby grievance with it i dodnt remembe rnow and im not sure if i still give any fucks about, but i tried some alternative tool called sharex, which i found to be unnecessarily bloated, so should i puush my grievances back to were they come from or there is some other cool non-poo poo alternative to puush?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

haha it sounds like poo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

poosh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:vince:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i have an incredibly stupid linux hosts-file question that i'm sure i know the answer to, but i guess those brain cells are dead now. do you need to have "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain" in addition to the machine's actual name, or do you just need the name, and "localhost" is a magical default?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you need it, some software can poo poo its pants without it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

whats up with that?

upgrade your technique

copy the rough rectangular section out and paste it as a new layer

put what you want in between the two layers

make a layer mask on the top layer to hide what you don't need, and you can do this with the really good drawing tools instead of the relatively poo poo selection editing tools

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Corla Plankun posted:

Ohhhhh

Someone who is knowledgeable about PC gubbins; Cast an eye over this and see if the memory linked in the comment section will play nice with the motherboard pls.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/NoneMoreNegative/saved/xfk8TW

I'm prob. going to wait until the 8GB GTX cards come out for my :pcgaming: 4K experience, so none of the above is set in stone.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dont build your own computer you are stealing jobs from foxconn

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ive got a problem with my conputer...

some fucker banned me from #yospos!!!!

i was only trying to join since my work pc has problems loading the forum (hmmm)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

ive got a problem with my conputer...

some fucker banned me from #yospos!!!!

i was only trying to join since my work pc has problems loading the forum (hmmm)

sorted

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

yaaaay now i got something to distract from work

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ohhhhh

Someone who is knowledgeable about PC gubbins; Cast an eye over this and see if the memory linked in the comment section will play nice with the motherboard pls.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/NoneMoreNegative/saved/xfk8TW

I'm prob. going to wait until the 8GB GTX cards come out for my :pcgaming: 4K experience, so none of the above is set in stone.

that cooler is nice but make sure the case is wide enough. it barely fits in my p180 and that's not a tiny case

1kw power supply is probably overkill too, nothing you have there is that power hungry. i would think a decent 600w would be fine, unless you are planning on having a huge raid setup or smth

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

single white uncle with moustache built his PC in 2008 and it is a piece of poo poo even though he will tell you otherwise.

he plugs in webcam to chat with cam girls I assume and that's fine

but if cam turns on, it freezes entire system.

tried different cams same issue. what could it be and do I have to touch thr cum stained chassis of his piece of poo poo home built pc with pirated software to fix it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sever

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

get him a mac & disable the camera

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

tried different cams same issue. what could it be and do I have to touch thr cum stained chassis of his piece of poo poo home built pc with pirated software to fix it
remote connect to his filthbox, run dxdiag and check logs for crap prior to freeze/crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ughh,remote access will involve me telling him to install poo poo from Microsoft and he will just balls it up and then he will bleat on about how windows xp was a perfectly fine and didn't need changing then he will go on and on about how I don't have a pc so I won't be able to remote access him for some obscure and bullshit reason gently caress it I'm going to tell him to buy a new pc from his favourite pc parts distributor [Chinese]

it took him almost 3 years to work out how to use the Samsung link think on his tv smart tv not webos