Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I decided not to touch anything that relies on old rear end media when I had a zip disk die when playing live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
To be fair to old rear end media drat near anything is more reliable than a ZIP disk.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

W424 posted:

Maybe replacable by a card reader? I have a Mirage with SD reader and it makes using it atleast 5% more fun.

i was going out to buy one but i tripped over patch cablez
i believe the floppyhxc is the only one ive heard works , other than that $400 refit those guys with more time than sense do every now & then

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Startyde posted:

To be fair to old rear end media drat near anything is more reliable than a ZIP disk.
spoken like someone who doesnt have unopened boxes of 2.8" quickdisks stashed away for a rainy day with a primitive sampler

byob historian fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 10, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Spoken like someone who DOES you mean. Those drives are bomb proof.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

theyre picky as can be, and boy do those things put the floppy in floppy disk :madmax:
the s10 is way worse than the md280 but i dont remember the sqd-1 working properly ever.
man i have way too much broken old junk
too bad most of it sounds awesome at least a day or 2 a week lol

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
http://www.straylightengineering.com/projects/korg-dss-1/the-upgrade-story/

One of the desirable points of the DSS1 besides analog filters is the existence of this insane upgrade - 16mb and USB, among other things.

Surprisingly, it boots up with no floppy and can sample. Big plus over the old Roland units there. The drive does work so far though.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
This looks super interesting:

http://axoloti.be/

It's a single board hardware platform, programmable via a graphical interface. It has audio and MIDI I/O. You can make synths or effects or whatever the hell you want with it. Once it's programmed, it's standalone. It has a bunch of extra I/O for pots, switches, whatever. There's an indiegogo link on the main site. Here's a fellow talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i22_KoAqmpI

Obviously this is nothing hugely new, there are a lot of other solutions if you want to make audio gear with a microcontroller board, such as the Raspberry Pi, but as far as I know, nobody has made an out of the box, ready to hack solution like this before. The graphical programming environment looks familiar:

I've bought two of these. I started to make a microcontroller synth last year but all that's going in the trash now, I can skip all the hardware dev and get straight in to making wacky burp and fart machines.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, uh, very amateurish question. I'm mostly into the video side of filmmaking things, but am looking to start accenting some of my stuff with some audio. I hesitate to say "score" because I'm definitely not a composer. I can play guitar and carry a rhythm, but that's about it.

I'm very interested in some downpaced (kinda trip hoppy) watery/chimey stuff. Sorry for being embarrassingly vague there, but I'm really looking to create subtle accents and undertones rather than flat-out musical numbers. Thus I'm looking to dip my toes in the synth world.

It seems like a Microbrute + Volca Sample might be a fun combination to start with. I definitely want the ability to sample. And then maybe add in other Volca modules later?

I'd be recording to computer, but I think I have that part covered.

I guess my question is... what pitfalls might I not be seeing since I'm coming in so new?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 11, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

So, uh, very amateurish question. I'm mostly into the video side of filmmaking things, but am looking to start accenting some of my stuff with some audio. I hesitate to say "score" because I'm definitely not a composer. I can play guitar and carry a rhythm, but that's about it.

I'm very interested in some downpaced (kinda trip hoppy) watery/chimey stuff. Sorry for being embarrassingly vague there, but I'm really looking to create subtle accents and undertones rather than flat-out musical numbers. Thus I'm looking to dip my toes in the synth world.

It seems like a Microbrute + Volca Sample might be a fun combination to start with. I definitely want the ability to sample. And then maybe add in other Volca modules later?

I'd be recording to computer, but I think I have that part covered.

I guess my question is... what pitfalls might I not be seeing since I'm coming in so new?

I'd advice to start with a DAW and virtual instruments. You can basically do a album for free on the computer (or throw away tons of money on some out of the box wetdream). The volcas/microbrute aren't going to be much use by them selves, sound will come out and they will be mostly/maybe/pray be in sync with each other but you can't do much about it. I have volca/microbrute and some other stuff as a small unit themselves trough a small mixer that I sample and treat as a noise source, the "real" instruments are routed seperately. The DAW would allow you to produce things vs something happening and knobs twisting.

Ofcourse improvisational electronics are a thing by them selves but it takes time before that starts to sound anything like music/listenable.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm making a retroactive new year's resolution to learn how FM synthesis works and finally use FM8 in something. That's the thing about Komplete Ultimate: there's so much amazing stuff in there that you can have a truly awesome gadget in your arsenal and still just never get around to messing with it. I use Kontakt in pretty much every project but I rarely touch FM8, Reaktor, Battery, or Massive. That's just silly and IT ENDS NOW.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

#bonerjamz SUBMISSION

https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/just-for-your-body

It's the fresh mix of the 12 16 year old track. Did nothing to it but all the equalizing and compressing that was so painfully missing from Impulse Tracker. Added a touch a reverb here and there too.

As you can hear, I've always had a fondness of cramming as much as possible in the midrange with barely any separation or depth. And lovely, repetitive drums. Anyway, the gimmicky vocal bits are there, exploited to the max, so at least there's that.

I'll take a look at the pipeline and see if anything else falls out. There's still time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

W424 posted:

I'd advice to start with a DAW and virtual instruments. You can basically do a album for free on the computer (or throw away tons of money on some out of the box wetdream). The volcas/microbrute aren't going to be much use by them selves, sound will come out and they will be mostly/maybe/pray be in sync with each other but you can't do much about it. I have volca/microbrute and some other stuff as a small unit themselves trough a small mixer that I sample and treat as a noise source, the "real" instruments are routed seperately. The DAW would allow you to produce things vs something happening and knobs twisting.

Ofcourse improvisational electronics are a thing by them selves but it takes time before that starts to sound anything like music/listenable.

Great advice thanks! Is there a DAW thread?

Also I'm more interested in pieces of sound at the moment more than anything that resembles a typical "song" if that makes sense.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Great advice thanks! Is there a DAW thread?

Also I'm more interested in pieces of sound at the moment more than anything that resembles a typical "song" if that makes sense.

In any case working with sound is easier when you have the tools available. Pretty soon your going to want to use effects,EQ,layering etc and they usually come with the DAW, otherwise you'll need to buy a bunch of more poo poo, bigger mixer and so on*.

*youre probably going to buy a bunch of poo poo anyways. It's a sickness.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

#bonerjamz SUBMISSION

I like how the tailing end of the waveform looks like a boner.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

snorch posted:

I like how the tailing end of the waveform looks like a boner.
:eyepop: poo poo, it does.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

W424 posted:

*youre probably going to buy a bunch of poo poo anyways. It's a sickness.

Yeah no poo poo. I went from "scaling back to just looking at a DAW" to "ohhh this Ableton Live Studio + Push + Novation Impulse 25 for $950 looks great!"

It was exactly like this when I started buying camera equipment. I'm gonna go take a walk.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I went from "scaling back to just looking at a DAW" to "ohhh this Ableton Live Studio + Push + Novation Impulse 25 for $950 looks great!"

It was exactly like this when I started buying camera equipment. I'm gonna go take a walk.

If you see any good deals while you're out, let us know.

On another note, just got my Groovesizer RED kit in yesterday, I'm stupidly excited to sit around and solder things to a PCB. Oh, also I hope it's a decent synth, or at least worth $80.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MockingQuantum posted:

If you see any good deals while you're out, let us know.

Ha, last night actually B & H put up the Tascam US-122 MK II audio interface for $45 with free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657978-REG/Tascam_US_122MKII_US_122MKII_USB_2_0.html/dealZone/true

I managed to snag one before it sold out. Should be a decent enough (hopefully) outboard interface for my amateur beginnings.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hope so, the MkI was loving garbage.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

About a third of Amazon reviews (us/uk/de) of the MKII have one or two stars saying it's unusable, to the point of clicks in the recordings and random garbage output. Positive articles about it are all XP era. Apparently the Windows 7 drivers are poo poo and there's a bunch of compatibility problems with macs where it might not work at all on some models.

I've looked at the thing before because it's been cheap for a while and apparently lucked out that it didn't have Windows 7 drivers at all at the time, or I might have bought it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

About a third of Amazon reviews (us/uk/de) of the MKII have one or two stars saying it's unusable, to the point of clicks in the recordings and random garbage output. Positive articles about it are all XP era. Apparently the Windows 7 drivers are poo poo and there's a bunch of compatibility problems with macs where it might not work at all on some models.

I've looked at the thing before because it's been cheap for a while and apparently lucked out that it didn't have Windows 7 drivers at all at the time, or I might have bought it.

Looks like they released new Windows drivers just last month (the previous driver release was 3 years prior(!!)) so lets hope that fixed everything. I'll just return it if not.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Seeing as the reviews suggest some of the problems only start to show up after a couple of months, I'd just return it anyway if it was me, but then I don't think there's much else you're going to get for $45. So good luck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Seeing as the reviews suggest some of the problems only start to show up after a couple of months, I'd just return it anyway if it was me, but then I don't think there's much else you're going to get for $45. So good luck.

It was an impulse thing anyway, I have a ton of B&H credit. I'll still probably just return it anyway and get something proper.

edit: Or just get work to reimburse me and offload it onto them if it starts to get shaky.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

A Behringer uca22 and, like, 15$ to spare.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

A Behringer uca22 and, like, 15$ to spare.
Well, no guitar/mic input while the dude plays guitar and/or wants to sample sounds.

I'd say Behringer U-Phoria UM2, but it might be noisy and/or wonky as well, going from the reviews. I think $80-$120 is a more realistic budget for something halfway decent with those features.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
When I was looking for a cheap interface for my laptop, Steinberg UR22 seemed like a good deal. Never bought it as the laptop ended up doing vj stuff.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

Well, no guitar/mic input while the dude plays guitar and/or wants to sample sounds.

It's got line ins, no built in preamps, but that's an easy thing to work around.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

BonoMan posted:

It was an impulse thing anyway, I have a ton of B&H credit. I'll still probably just return it anyway and get something proper.

edit: Or just get work to reimburse me and offload it onto them if it starts to get shaky.

I had a mark 1 back in the day on an XP system - worked generally okay though you really needed something else to amplify it - it was fine with a mixer output as input but any gain on the tascam would result in ugly digital noise. One day it just stopped working so I gutted it for parts; turns out that not one, but three of my USB cables were hosed up for some reason so I'm not sure if it really died or I used multiple bad cables to test it. Replaced it with the Focusrite 2i4 which isn't bad (again, amplify it before it goes in) but the latency isn't great on it so you definitely want to use direct monitoring when recording.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

It's got line ins, no built in preamps, but that's an easy thing to work around.
If you've already got a bunch of other gear lying around with the necessary inputs and outputs, yeah.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have a UR22 and it's been rock solid for me, but I'm not trying to do anything fancy with it. I've only used the inputs to run my guitar into Guitar Rig.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I've been using a Kawai MX-8R mixer into a Focusrite 2i4. I'm probably going to upgrade to a phonic 808 in the next year or two since the 2i4 was from before I knew how much I would get into music again.

Dolphins
Apr 3, 2007

Swim with us!

A Winner is Jew posted:

That's your problem. The Volca's headphone out is sterero and it really, really doesn't handle just using either right or left channels into a mixer well.

I've looked a lot into this recently. I have Volca Beats and Bass and I had some sync issues whenever they were connected to my mixer. The slaved device would start skipping whenever I touched one of its analog controls (such as cutoff on the Bass). I also had the problem of low level input even when using a stereo cable and the stereo inputs of my mixer.

I spent a lot of time googling the issue and after a detour in Gearslutz found my way to some obscure forum. A user there said that the output on all Volcas is not "true stereo". It's a mono signal split into left and right. (I don't know if there's a real term for this.) Somehow this also affects the sync via grounding. So the guy said that converting the whole signal chain into mono helps. Actually, he claimed that it helps with most known problems when using Volcas with any additional gear.
I don't have an appropriate mono cable, but I noticed that plugging a stereo jack only halfway into the headphone output and into a mono input on the mixer did the trick. The output level got significantly louder and the sync problem disappeared.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Dolphins posted:

I've looked a lot into this recently. I have Volca Beats and Bass and I had some sync issues whenever they were connected to my mixer. The slaved device would start skipping whenever I touched one of its analog controls (such as cutoff on the Bass). I also had the problem of low level input even when using a stereo cable and the stereo inputs of my mixer.

I spent a lot of time googling the issue and after a detour in Gearslutz found my way to some obscure forum. A user there said that the output on all Volcas is not "true stereo". It's a mono signal split into left and right. (I don't know if there's a real term for this.) Somehow this also affects the sync via grounding. So the guy said that converting the whole signal chain into mono helps. Actually, he claimed that it helps with most known problems when using Volcas with any additional gear.
I don't have an appropriate mono cable, but I noticed that plugging a stereo jack only halfway into the headphone output and into a mono input on the mixer did the trick. The output level got significantly louder and the sync problem disappeared.

Some samplers will let you run a signal through them, and will convert that signal to mono. If you have a sampler lying around, that's a lot more practical than plugging in the audio cable halfway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNrb6ub3EQ

Three loving bucks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Number Two Stunna posted:

Some samplers will let you run a signal through them, and will convert that signal to mono. If you have a sampler lying around, that's a lot more practical than plugging in the audio cable halfway.

Gearslutz.txt

Dolphins
Apr 3, 2007

Swim with us!

Number Two Stunna posted:

Nah, I'll just grab some mono cables the next time I visit the local music store.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1.html

Expert Sleepers have a new module coming out that acts as a USB I/O. While that doesn't sound super impressive, apparently you can throw some TouchOSC at it (and probably Lemur) which is super awesome.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

magiccarpet posted:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1.html

Expert Sleepers have a new module coming out that acts as a USB I/O. While that doesn't sound super impressive, apparently you can throw some TouchOSC at it (and probably Lemur) which is super awesome.

No that sounds super duper loving impressive as currently the solution is to run like an ADAT lightpipe over to it and calibrate a VST sending audio out over the channel to control CV. Simply plugging in a USB cable and getting 8 CV/Gate/Whatever outs is loving phenomenal and I'm surprised it took people this long to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Traded myself a Korg MicroSampler since the only available used sources were €250++ and grabbed a second-hand store gameport-for-power 61key board that nobody could figure out for a tenner, I think I'm happy with the way 2015 started out for gear :haw:
Next on the shopping-list, inspiration to actually create compose and write

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 15, 2015