Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the wizards beard posted:

It kind of looks like you may have swapped two connections at the transistor. You should have +5V at the collector (pin 3), the signal from the video chip on the base (pin 2) and the output video signal should come from the emitter (pin 1) which should also have a resistor to ground. I can't quite tell if this is right in your photo. Not enough information.

Have you looked at the S-Video connector to see if it has pin numbers marked on it? They usually do.

Do you have a multimeter?

OK I have the transistor hooked up the exact way you said. However I do not have pin 1 going to ground. No guides I saw mentioned that. I did try wiring it to ground but then I get no picture. If I remove the ground the picture comes back but its the oddly colored image I showed you. I didn't try with a resistor to ground though. What ohm should I use?

My S video mount does not have any numbers on it but I don't think I messed that up because then I'd get zero picture (I assume). I do have a multimeter.

Thank you very much so far by the way.

Edit: oddly colored image I get for new page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK I have the transistor hooked up the exact way you said. However I do not have pin 1 going to ground. No guides I saw mentioned that. I did try wiring it to ground but then I get no picture. If I remove the ground the picture comes back but its the oddly colored image I showed you. I didn't try with a resistor to ground though. What ohm should I use?

My S video mount does not have any numbers on it but I don't think I messed that up because then I'd get zero picture (I assume). I do have a multimeter.

Thank you very much so far by the way.

If you have a stable image then the the connector is probably correct as the luma signal carries the sync pulses. Can you post the exact schematic of the circuit you are trying to build?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The 220uf cap in the chroma line... Are you sure you have it the right way? The negative leg should go to pin 15, and the positive leg should go into the 75ohm resistor. The other side of the resistor then goes to the S-Video jack.

I agree with the post above mine, Luma seems to be fine. It's Chroma that's probably at fault.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yep I have a 220uf negative towards the encoder pin 15. 75ohm resistor on the positive side going to the top right pin in my s video port

:smithicide:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Yep I have a 220uf negative towards the encoder pin 15. 75ohm resistor on the positive side going to the top right pin in my s video port

:smithicide:

Is that a 75ohm resistor in the Luma line? It should only be 27ohms, and sit between the output of the transistor and the S-Video jack.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

Is that a 75ohm resistor in the Luma line? It should only be 27ohms, and sit between the output of the transistor and the S-Video jack.

I have one in both lines because I don't have a 27 ohm resistor. I tried no resistor at all and while brighter, I still get the hosed up colors. Resistor couldn't mess with me getting the wrong colors completely, right?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

I have one in both lines because I don't have a 27 ohm resistor. I tried no resistor at all and while brighter, I still get the hosed up colors. Resistor couldn't mess with me getting the wrong colors completely, right?

Yeah, I really wouldn't expect it to cause what you're seeing with those colors. Just different brightness levels.

Check the solder joint for pin15?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Pin 15 is good. I desoldered it then the picture went black and white. Soldered it back and same funky colors.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
How many 75 ohm resistors do you have at hand? 3 in parallel will give you 25 ohms, close enough to 27 to check that. And FFS post the schematic already

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I would also check the original composite output, could be your encoder chip or the Genesis is boned.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I would also check the original composite output, could be your encoder chip or the Genesis is boned.

My guess is I fried something inside. But what would cause the colors to be messed up? One of the RGB lines maybe?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

My guess is I fried something inside. But what would cause the colors to be messed up? One of the RGB lines maybe?

From your images it looks like no Green signal is being output...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

From your images it looks like no Green signal is being output...

OK what could I have accidentally torn that would cause that? So that I can check and make sure I didn't remove a capacitor off the board or something.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It could have failed in a few places, most likely inside the encoder chip. You could look at the G input on the encoder and see if the coupling capacitor has been removed. According to this Genesis schematic (http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/img/mega3.gif) it's pin 3, so move backwards from pin 3. Or just look at the output over composite or RGB.

e: I don't see these caps in your photo. They are small values so I wouldn't be surprised if they are SMD caps on the other side of the PCB.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 12, 2015

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

It could have failed in a few places, most likely inside the encoder chip. You could look at the G input on the encoder and see if the coupling capacitor has been removed. According to this Genesis schematic (http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/img/mega3.gif) it's pin 3, so move backwards from pin 3. Or just look at the output over composite or RGB.

e: I don't see these caps in your photo. They are small values so I wouldn't be surprised if they are SMD caps on the other side of the PCB.

Yea I found the smd cap. I tried bypassing it with a .01uf cap I found in my basement but it didn't work. :\

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Edit: oddly colored image I get for new page:

Dude, you ported Sonic 2 to NES?!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's totally weird. I am guessing I fried the encoder some how? How the hell did I manage to do that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Yeah it's totally weird. I am guessing I fried the encoder some how? How the hell did I manage to do that?

Games › Retro Gaming Megathread: It will be a new and exciting way to electrocute myself

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Not sure how I missed this but there's now a MSU-1 hack for MegaMan X
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2274/

Edit: here's a sample. Played it a little bit, feels like it should almost be on the PCE-CD w/ the bitchin guitar tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nby1jjC_GVs&t=8s

flyboi fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 12, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

Edit: here's a sample. Played it a little bit, feels like it should almost be on the PCE-CD w/ the bitchin guitar tracks

Works pretty good. Here's an hour of me loving around in it and some minor commentary.

http://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe/b/610112113

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Congrats on beating a great game! Guess who I am: drip, drip, drip, drip, drip. I'm the last level trying to drip acid poo poo all over you.

You know I was stuck on that last level thanks to Alien Wily for so long, I realized if you landed on the very right when you fall and just run, the acid never touches you.

PRO TIP

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Actually the luma part looks completely OK and the chroma signal is obviously present too but it only contains the I part of the color information (teal-orange) and not the Q part (green-purple). That could be due to damage to the encoder chip or the NTSC crystal frequency being off by a tiny bit or maybe there's a little bit of phase shift from the capacitor or something.

Is every other game teal and orange too, and does it look the same on other TVs?

You could always keep it as the Michael Bay Genesis.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Grapeshot posted:

Actually the luma part looks completely OK and the chroma signal is obviously present too but it only contains the I part of the color information (teal-orange) and not the Q part (green-purple). That could be due to damage to the encoder chip or the NTSC crystal frequency being off by a tiny bit or maybe there's a little bit of phase shift from the capacitor or something.

Is every other game teal and orange too, and does it look the same on other TVs?

You could always keep it as the Michael Bay Genesis.

Yeah it looks like that on other TVs too. My guess is I somehow fried the encoder chip but I am really trying to think of how the hell I could have done that. I am using a Weller soldering iron that I never use past number "3" on the heat scale. :sigh:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I tested out filming my dad and I playing in front of a green screen in prep for Duck Hunt. I'm pleased with the setup except for the mic being placed a bit far away. I might try hiding it somewhere on the couch or borrowing a pair of lav mics from a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y_P4_SVPH0

My dad is still having trouble understanding the D-pad. I wish I had joysticks. I'm curious to see how my dad will handle Mario 64 with the N64 controller once I introduce him to that.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Housh posted:

I tested out filming my dad and I playing in front of a green screen in prep for Duck Hunt. I'm pleased with the setup except for the mic being placed a bit far away. I might try hiding it somewhere on the couch or borrowing a pair of lav mics from a friend.

My dad is still having trouble understanding the D-pad. I wish I had joysticks. I'm curious to see how my dad will handle Mario 64 with the N64 controller once I introduce him to that.

I'll admit I thought this was going to be stupid, lame, and boring as hell...until I clicked on the video haha. Even without sound I knew I was going to enjoy it right away. Thanks!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My modern Famiclone order arrived :woop:

Pads feel very good, fine D-pad, my GV-USB2 doesn't want to take it in, only my Neovo monitor does, audio is just swell, fine composite output compared to 90's famiclones, I will open her up and see if there's anything interesting or out of the ordinary for a famiclone inside.

Came with this RPG that I cannot figure out what it is based on, and not a multicart.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That... looks like a rather decent Famiclone unlike the usual garbage. How much did it cost and where did you get it?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Saoshyant posted:

That... looks like a rather decent Famiclone unlike the usual garbage. How much did it cost and where did you get it?

$22, ordered on December 27th, positive surprise of its quality and its speedy delivery - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nes-FC-400-Classic-Games-Subbor-d99-Classic-8-bit-FC-Video-Game-System-Consale-Nostalgic/32235760389.html (no shipping, no p&p, I only need to try this with actual FC carts now, and FC to NES converters)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Came with this RPG that I cannot figure out what it is based on, and not a multicart.

Judging by the instruction manual art it's Everquest. :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MrLonghair posted:

$22 (...) I only need to try this with actual FC carts now, and FC to NES converters (...) I will open her up and see if there's anything interesting or out of the ordinary for a famiclone inside.

Let us know! I think I'm going to grab one of them if it's as good as you are reporting so far.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

The label is in Chinese so I had a little bit of trouble tracking it down, but the game is Shin Satomi Hakkenden, as opposed to the other Hakkenden RPG that was released at about the same time. It's one of those RPG that made effectively no impact on the world by being completely generic. It's loosely based on a classic novel that isn't well known outside of Asia, and I mean "based" like how Suikouden is based on the novel Suikouden.

Now the interesting thing about what you have is it's a Chinese translation of the game which given the limitations of the Famicom is pretty impressive. Not that if helps if you don't speak Chinese. Presumably that's the reason it was included.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Bwahahaha

Blob on a chip but I wouldn't guess it with how it performs compared to famiclones from the 90's that I dealt with

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Bwahahaha

Blob on a chip but I wouldn't guess it with how it performs compared to famiclones from the 90's that I dealt with

Totally unsurprised. That's how all the pirate carts come these days so why would a system be any different.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Totally unsurprised. That's how all the pirate carts come these days so why would a system be any different.

They should start building them into old Nokia phones, because it would freaking fit in there. If I get a 1610 again I'll do it.

The actual game cartridge though has tiny SMD components on an even tinier board, for that matter. Thought they'd stick to proms.

Suggestion to those who order one of these: Discard the power adapter, fire-hazard!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Housh posted:

These are great. I can't wait to see Duck Hunt.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

flyboi posted:

Thanks for posting this! One less reason for me to mess with the MSU1 now that my favorite SNES game has a patch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Bwahahaha

Hahahaha

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

You'd laugh too if you got to feel the weight of this thing, it's like every last component was the lightest weight possible, even the metals. My glasses weigh more.

Rebooting fixed all my GV-USB2 problems :downs:

Sometimes it feels like a Dragon Quest hack, sometimes like an FF1/2 hack

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 12, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've got a busy month in February, with our wedding and moving into a new place. The new place is bigger, but has fewer rooms, so I won't be able to have a dedicated retrogames room. (bye bye trinitron) Futurewife is insistent that I don't box it all up and go emulator only, so I guess it's RGB mod/scaler time. Probably flashcart time too, so we don't have to have several bookshelves of games out in the open.

This is the first time I've really looked into scalers. Is it correct that the xrgb mini doesn't accept component video, and that the XRGB3 does? Is there any reason not to get the XRGB3? What do the mini-havers do with their gamecubes/wiis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

This is the first time I've really looked into scalers. Is it correct that the xrgb mini doesn't accept component video, and that the XRGB3 does? Is there any reason not to get the XRGB3? What do the mini-havers do with their gamecubes/wiis?

This isn't quite correct. Both of them have what's called a D-Terminal connector, which is basically component shoved into a different connector that looks kind of like miniUSB. So what you need to get is an adapter like this:

This is true for both the XRGB3 and XRGB-mini, and really you want the mini as it does HDMI out while the 3 just does VGA out. Solaris has a deal where you can buy it with the XRGB-mini for simplicity's sake (and they give you 500 yen off too).

• Locked thread