Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Dr. Light posted:

I recently had a brown IPA, and it was really good (Columbus Ohio's Seventh Son brewery's 'Mr. Owl' if you're in the region). It was pretty aggressively hopped, but with a darker roasted malt. Good combination of flavors, kind of like citrus in chocolate.

Not to mention, imperial brown ales aren't anything particularly new.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/search/?q=imperial+brown+ale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have to imagine they came up with the name first, and then weren't able to get space in Burlington and so ended up in Williston.

I haven't had all of their beers...I tend to stick to the ones that aren't too crazy, hence why I just got a "normal" IPA and not one of the weird mash-up ones.

I got the Barista last time, and that is tasty.

That's exactly what happened. I bartend at the big pizza and beer place down the road (which makes me an impromptu VT beer tour guide for out of towners) and it's always fun explaining where the brewery is.
I think even their crazier sounding beers are pretty mild tasting compared to some other stuff you'll come across. I'm partial to Summerfield and Peasant Bread, but It's Complicated Being a Wizard sounds delicious despite being named after the worst Portugal, the Man album.

As far as beer style names, it's kind of a necessary evil. Sprocketbier isn't going to win any awards for being a great traditional kolsch, but the average educated beer drinker knows what a black beer is like. They know what a rye beer is like, what a kolsch is like and therefor can make a reasonable guess at what a black rye kolsch will taste like. So it's a marketing thing. Imperial Brown IPA is much more straight forward. Brown IPA is an established style and that's just the Imperial version.

martinlutherbling has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Jan 12, 2015

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

New bag for work/fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Scarf posted:

What the hell is an imperial brown ipa? :psyboom:

As much as I love craft beer and the micro-brewery movement, some of this poo poo has to stop.

Why are you against minorities making beer?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

colas posted:

The only way I'd see the trend being annoying is if you went to a restaurant/bar and couldn't get a normal beer for normal you.

My favorite brewer is Dogfish Head, they do a lot of experimental stuff.

I love craft beer, lambics, mead and weird brews, but Midas Touch is gross.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

1redflag posted:

I love craft beer, lambics, mead and weird brews, but Midas Touch is gross.

I'm really not a big fan of anything Dogfish Head does to be honest.

I do appreciate them for really jumpstarting microbrews in the east coast though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

colas posted:

The only way I'd see the trend being annoying is if you went to a restaurant/bar and couldn't get a normal beer for normal you.

If by normal you mean "to style," then yeah, that's what I'm going for. I've been in flavor overload the past year or two. I don't want overly hopped, overly alcoholic, overly malty mashups anymore. I want good beer brewed to style.

And speaking of which, for content:

Sierra's 2015 Bigfoot barleywine is amazing and you should drink lots of it. Grabbed a pack on Saturday.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I bought 2 mugs in support of a particularly good youtube series I enjoy a whole lot.

At this point why not just build a car from scratch instead of buying one and chopping just about all of it off?

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Because what they're doing is actually more difficult and therefore cooler.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

As the good Dr Grant said,

"Where's the fun in that?"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Scarf posted:

I don't want overly hopped, overly alcoholic, overly malty mashups anymore. I want good beer brewed to style.

This is what probably 3/4 of craft beer is nowadays. They make a poo poo beer, and they try to cover it up by adding a ton of hops and give it a name with a pun in it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

kannonfodder posted:

This is what probably 3/4 of craft beer is nowadays. They make a poo poo beer, and they try to cover it up by adding a ton of hops and give it a name with a pun in it.

People like different things!?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

No, there's a difference between making a good, hoppy beer, and making a bad beer and trying to hide it with hop taste.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kannonfodder posted:

No, there's a difference between making a good, hoppy beer, and making a bad beer and trying to hide it with hop taste.

I can't agree with this more. I don't mind hoppy beer, but when I go out and the menu basically just seems to be a list of hoppy drinks trying to out-hops one another, it gets annoying. "Oh hey something new on the menu, oh it's 'Uncle Hoppy's Hop-head Hop-gasm with Extra Hops', gently caress."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Toronto has the same problem it's all double IPA at 9-11% jesus guys I don't WANT all that hop.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
A friend rented a party bus on Saturday and we went up to Baltimore to take a tour of the Union Craft brewery. My purchase was their oatmeal stout called Snowpants. I enjoyed it but that was at like 2 PM so it was already my fourth beer and I'd have a hard time recalling the difference between every other oatmeal stout I've had. When it comes to 10% double IPA's I'm not always a fan of the taste but I find it's less wasteful to come home from work and grab a Domion Double-D IPA and be done with it rather than going through two of a regular 5% beer. I'm trying to watch my girlish figure.

My purchase today was almost $200 worth of sink/shower fixtures because I've been telling myself things are "good enough" as they slowly sink into disrepair, but the girlfriend is having guests over this weekend and leaky faucets with crusty showerheads will not stand. Brushed nickel for everyone!

davebo has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 12, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Dewgy posted:

I can't agree with this more. I don't mind hoppy beer, but when I go out and the menu basically just seems to be a list of hoppy drinks trying to out-hops one another, it gets annoying. "Oh hey something new on the menu, oh it's 'Uncle Hoppy's Hop-head Hop-gasm with Extra Hops', gently caress."

Then don't order it? I just don't understand how something is annoying that I wouldn't buy.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

davebo posted:

Union Craft brewery

Welcome to my city and it's great beer! Did you hit up Heavy Seas too?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pukestain Pal posted:

Welcome to my city and it's great beer! Did you hit up Heavy Seas too?

Well thanks. I mean I've lived in Maryland my entire life so it's not like I was new to Baltimore, but Union started in 2011 I think so I had never been there. We did go to the Heavy Seas restaurant afterwards and I had a delicious Cuban sandwich with fries and I don't even remember which beer because I've had most of theirs at some point and I was pretty drunk by then.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just went on a big model building shopping spree. Ten needle files of various shapes and sizes, two jars of plastic weld, two rattlecans of primer, three 100ml rattlecans of Tamiya gunmetal paint, and a box of alligator clips.

The local model store (and the only one in the state) is going under, and they're doing a fire sale of their inventory. That was all under thirty bucks, which is pretty astounding, but it still sucks that now I need to resort to Amazon in the future.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

davebo posted:

Well thanks. I mean I've lived in Maryland my entire life so it's not like I was new to Baltimore, but Union started in 2011 I think so I had never been there. We did go to the Heavy Seas restaurant afterwards and I had a delicious Cuban sandwich with fries and I don't even remember which beer because I've had most of theirs at some point and I was pretty drunk by then.

Plank III is out this year, and it's fantastic.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Probably the best piece of knitwear I'll ever own. It weighs about 2kg.

And a phone.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Probably the best piece of knitwear I'll ever own. It weighs about 2kg.

At 215 I'm glad you didn't include a link!

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

colas posted:

I love this beer. I had it for the first time at a co-workers house about 2 years ago.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Daimo posted:

At 215 I'm glad you didn't include a link!

As a Dane I kind feel like defending that price. :) It's a lot of money, but not if you look at it over the lifetime of the sweater. You can wear their stuff until it goes out of style and then comes back into style without wearing it out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pukestain Pal posted:

Then don't order it? I just don't understand how something is annoying that I wouldn't buy.

My local bar is a brewery and their rotational is 9/10 hoppy bullshit when I know they make other, better beers. Makes it feel like wasted space. Why get defensive over the hops arms race? It seriously is the worst part of craft brewing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I've mostly been getting rid of stuff as I just graduated with my MA and could potentially move across country/the world, but there are a few things I've bought over the last month:

I picked this up during a sale because I've been using borrowed gear and really needed my own guitar:

And because I can't resist shiny gadgets with gorgeous screens:

I also got a glass screen protector but that's not really exciting.

Oh I guess I also recently purchased my MA, though I haven't exactly paid that one off yet. :sigh:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pondex posted:

As a Dane I kind feel like defending that price. :) It's a lot of money, but not if you look at it over the lifetime of the sweater. You can wear their stuff until it goes out of style and then comes back into style without wearing it out.

This will never go out of style because it'll never be in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Digital_Jesus posted:

New bag for work/fun.

Hope that's not a Saddleback

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

:ironicat:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Got a Fitbit Charge HR now that they're out, except in Black. Hopefully throwing money at a New Year's Resolution means I'll stick with it!

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Bought this ugly thing today. Man, that faux "rock" poo poo is ugly.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bottom Liner posted:

Hope that's not a Saddleback

What's wrong with Saddleback? I don't own one but I was under the impression they were good.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have this, it's great. Amazon was charging double the price of other retailers when I bought it though (Canada).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PleasusChrist posted:

Bought this ugly thing today. Man, that faux "rock" poo poo is ugly.

Nah, the faux rock works with the style. It's the arrowslit windows that ruin it to me.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

Nah, the faux rock works with the style. It's the arrowslit windows that ruin it to me.

It's okay. The faux rock, and the windows, and the screen monstrosity, and the "landscaping," and the kitchen, and the bathrooms will all be gone very soon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

25th anniversary edition of the Dead Kennedys' Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. Includes a DVD with band interviews (Jello Biafra did not participate). Punk isn't usually my genre of choice, but I liked this album.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dewgy posted:

My local bar is a brewery and their rotational is 9/10 hoppy bullshit when I know they make other, better beers. Makes it feel like wasted space. Why get defensive over the hops arms race? It seriously is the worst part of craft brewing.

Seconding this, I hate going into a place that has 30 or 40 taps and 20 or 30 of them are some form of IPA or some other beer that tastes like of the contents of a ball point pen.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Dang, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

PleasusChrist posted:

It's okay. The faux rock, and the windows, and the screen monstrosity, and the "landscaping," and the kitchen, and the bathrooms will all be gone very soon.

Lucky, I could only afford a 1970s condo and thought "well eventually they'll renovate the common areas" but no 10 years later is still looks like an English castle (Tudor style with asbestos in the stucco, yay!).

UnfortunateSexFart has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Feb 11, 2015