Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Mediate, Leave Africa Alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

1) Attempt to mediate negotiations (11): TheMcD, GSD, QuoProQuid, Serpentis, Rejected Fate, Rodyle, alcaras, Gravity Cant Apple, crimea, Lynneth, Minus Green
2) Send Advisors and Equipment (12): Pakled, Lord Cyrahzax, SeaTard, Rincewind, ThatBasqueGuy, Hitlers Gay Secret, Kanthulhu, Glenn Zimmerman, Ibblebibble, JT Jag, Sampatrick, chippocrates
3) This is not a Hanseatic Matter (1): e X
4) No Vote (1): GoatLord

a) Interventionism (9): Pakled, TheMcD, GSD, Lord Cyrahzax, SeaTard, ThatBasqueGuy, Kanthulhu, Glenn Zimmerman, Ibblebibble
-Seize the Congo Valley and Gabon;
-Build a Cape to Cairo railroad through investiment;
-Invest into and sphere the Gaza Empire;
-Free New Selkirk and sphere it (if Scotland does not join the Hansa);
b) Leave Africa at Ease (15): Serpentis, Rincewind, Hitlers Gay Secret, Rejected Fate, Rodyle, alcaras, e X, Minus Green, QuoProQuid, Gravity Cant Apple, GoatLord, crimea, JT Jag, chippocrates

Strategic Vote:
The Far East is... Far, separated from Neubauten by the entirety of Ixachitlan and the vastness of the Pacific… Or the entire rest of the world. Yet it remains relevant due to the wealth of our colonial possessions, the dangerous allure of Selatan and the Sino-Hanseatic alliance that has endured through the shared tragedy of our nations. Like Ixachitlan the region is divided between great powers and their puppets, with the notable exception of the ever independent Oste Wasi, which remains a wildcard in Asian politics. Power projection here is limited by distance and the vast populations of the local states, but the Hansa’s expeditionary forces have historically found success with the support of allied forces from the Raj and China. Any further projects on this side of the world will require cooperation with regional allies, though our local forces may be bolstered by the presently idle Afrika Korps.

a) Interventionism (_____________)
b) Follow Chinese Leadership
c) The Far East can be ignored

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Let us explore Selatan again, I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

Also, let's follow the Chinese leadership.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gentlemen, ladies, esteemed friends! I know the temptations of the unknown are strong, but we must remain strong in the face of the whisperings of that dark, vile continent! As many of you know, I am descended from one of those brave adventurers who lost their lives in exploring Selatan, who found naught but death and madness. That land is cursed, the cost is simply too high. We must maintain the ban. Remember Lubeck, my friends!

In more northern concerns, the status quo benefits us quite nicely, and usually I would be quite content to follow the lead of our good friend and ally the Son of Heaven, but there is one opportunity I think we should explore. While the Western House has at times been our enemy, those days are long behind us. The Oste Wasi are quite like us, though they are born of a different tradition. Our diplomatic corps should should seek new ties with the Western House to better influence them. We could both benefit from further trade, after all.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Selatan should be explored. Ignorance led to the destruction of several cities, let us not repeat the past.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yingzhou Kamchatka reminded me, what are the governments of the Chinese Dominions like?

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Follow China and Explore.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

maintain the ban

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

GSD posted:

Gentlemen, ladies, esteemed friends! I know the temptations of the unknown are strong, but we must remain strong in the face of the whisperings of that dark, vile continent! As many of you know, I am descended from one of those brave adventurers who lost their lives in exploring Selatan, who found naught but death and madness. That land is cursed, the cost is simply too high. We must maintain the ban. Remember Lubeck, my friends!

In more northern concerns, the status quo benefits us quite nicely, and usually I would be quite content to follow the lead of our good friend and ally the Son of Heaven, but there is one opportunity I think we should explore. While the Western House has at times been our enemy, those days are long behind us. The Oste Wasi are quite like us, though they are born of a different tradition. Our diplomatic corps should should seek new ties with the Western House to better influence them. We could both benefit from further trade, after all.

Well said, well said.

As for the rest of you: Good God, you lunatics who even considered lifting that ban should be asked to leave the chamber. I have no fine and fancy argument for you here because this isn't a matter of advanced science or free economics, this is a matter of not losing entire bloody cities in a single attack. I know too well the cost of meddling with the Selatani heretek; it was my father who (perhaps with boldness rather than sense) died in Lubeck standing up against Selatani attempts to suborn us through their dark influence. Remember Lubeck and maintain the ban!

As for the Far East, well, I said it before about Afrika and I'll say it again, we cannot afford to run around trying to play God in every sphere of the world. But maintaining our current alliances is another story. Follow Chinese leadership for now, but I honestly think there's no good reason not to try and implement good GSD's plan and influence Oste Wasi with the end goal of a Sino-Hanseatic-Oste entente to face down and contain Selatan Basar, and perhaps one happy day, put their abominable ideas back into the ground.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Ban on Selatan.

Sphere Bengal so we can have an entry point to attack Angkor if they mess with our Chinese allies.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Great, my miscounted vote screwed it all up.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
The Selatani Continent and the dark secrets hidden within has only brought us pain and sorrow, and I don't see how that will ever change. Maintain the Ban on Selatani Artifacts!

As for the far east: Let China lead the way! Just like we expect them to follow our lead in affairs regarding Ixachitlan, we should live up to their expectations and follow them in Asian matters.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Maintain the Ban and Influence the Oste Wasi into our sphere

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Maintain the ban on our irredeemable Selatani enemies and depose the Selatani government and install a friendly one that will help us impose the embargo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maintain the ban and follow China.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Luhood posted:

The Selatani Continent and the dark secrets hidden within has only brought us pain and sorrow, and I don't see how that will ever change. Maintain the Ban on Selatani Artifacts!

As for the far east: Let China lead the way! Just like we expect them to follow our lead in affairs regarding Ixachitlan, we should live up to their expectations and follow them in Asian matters.

This is a sound proposal.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Burying our heads in the sand is not going to save us from future attacks. If we are to protect our shareholders and maintain our trade empire, we need to know what these artifacts are. Explore.

I think we ought to defer judgement to the Chinese, given their experience. Let China Lead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Explore and Let China Lead.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

You know who else is going to want to lift the ban? The Raj. Like father, like son. :colbert:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GSD posted:

Yingzhou Kamchatka reminded me, what are the governments of the Chinese Dominions like?

They are both constitutional monarchies, as befits their more autonomous governments.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Maintain the ban and destroy the Selatani government, then salt the earth to ensure no such abomination will ever again trouble us.

For those who wish to partake in the benefits of those incredibly rare Selatani artifacts which have been proven to be entirely benign, might I remind you that for those with sufficient gold any such ban becomes more of a suggestion, as evidenced by the now-dead Undying King of the Raj.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Luhood posted:

This is the most prudent course of action.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lifting the bank would lose what friends we have in Europe and our Alliance with China. Maintain the ban, though we may grieve for the knowledge. And as for Asia, follow China as we would expect them to follow us here. However, so long as it does not anger China, there's really no reason not to try and sphere Oster Wasi.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 11, 2015

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Rejected Fate posted:

Maintain the Ban and Influence the Oste Wasi into our sphere

What this guy said.

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009
Knowledge is not evil, my fellows. Our ignorance casts a shadow over Neubaten and enemies could be lurking in our walls at this very moment. And, because of this outdated ban, we would never know!

A Selatani artifact wiped out Lubeck. A single man and his bag of toys almost conquered east Asia! Friends, we cannot allow an eldritch gap! Lift the ban!

Also Follow China.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cowards, all of you! You have decided to do nothing in Africa, and have now allowed this lethargy to infect our Far Eastern operations? The time has come to understand and utilize Selatani technology for our benefit! Imagine a world where all of the citizens of the Hansa live into their 200s, where we can dictate terms of trade with the threat of absolute destruction! We must lift the ban! But we must maintain control. Bringing the Oste Wasi into our sphere will provide us with a fine instrument to do that.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Explore Selatan! Do I need to remind everyone that some nations have no such scruples, and that artifacts have not stopped leaving the continent? Unless the ban is universal, and no country has access to them, we are only intentionally hobbling ourselves by refusing to investigate the ruins!

Additionally, we should make a more thorough investigation of the nation that calls itself "Selatan." I have seen the reports on it, and they're a handful of vague guesstimates and a flimsy cover story about cannibal killers. How are we to set policy with such miserable intelligence?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Maintain the ban and follow China

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Maintain the ban on Selatan and Follow China.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Luhood posted:

Voting for this

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The smart thing to do is to maintain the ban and continue working with China.

So of course I'm voting explore and try to sphere Oeste Wasi.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ignoring these dark eldritch horrors is going to come to bite us later. I doubt that the Aztecs or the Raj will have as many scruples as us. Should they manage to unlock the secrets of Selatan, we will be hopelessly lost. I cannot sleep soundly as our enemies try to re-enact the Fall of Lubeck in Neu Hamburg. Something must be done.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The artifacts destroy the wielders more often than their enemies, imagine bringing some back to Neubaten only to burn away half the continent. Not to mention that it would deepen schisms in the League, and above all we cannot allow that, no Hanseatic nation is a true superpower unto itself.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So you say, but they allowed a madman and his ragtag gang of mumbling zealots to take on the great powers of the world for a time. Imagine that kind of power in the hands of a true nation-state, and realize what kind of risk we are taking by letting others loot these mysteries while we cover our eyes and hope everything will work out perfectly.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Let us explore Selatan once again. Surely, nothing can go wrong.

Follow Chinese leadership

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Maintain the Ban on Selatani Artifacts

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rincewind posted:

try to sphere Oeste Wasi.

A capital idea!

However, we must also Maintain the Ban and move to Conquer, puppet, or otherwise extend the ban to every last inch of Selatan.

Furthermore, anyone found to have licked a Selatani artifact is to be executed on the spot, regardless of status or nation.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Rincewind posted:

The smart thing to do is to maintain the ban and continue working with China.

So of course I'm voting explore and try to sphere Oeste Wasi.

My thoughts exactly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GoatLord posted:

Furthermore, anyone found to have licked a Selatani artifact is to be executed on the spot, regardless of status or nation.

Kübler-Ross Was Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Explore and sphere Oeste Wasi.

• Locked thread