Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

Also, has anyone else had problems with livestock breeding? It's been years and my ram has yet to be fruitful with any of my six ewes. The ram is not gelded, either.

Check if he is gay or asexual. This is not a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

goddamn gay rams ruinin this fort :bahgawd:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

Speaking of which! How do you tell? I know that I have some kind of queer female dwarf in a fort; in therapist, her gender symbol is a pink combination of female and male symbols, with the male part very pale. What does this mean?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wow, Dorf Fort has gone in interesting directions since I last looked at it :stare:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

Wow, Dorf Fort has gone in interesting directions since I last looked at it :stare:

Soon dwarves will even be able to drink from mugs!

e; Can someone explain to me how the new mining mods introduced in DF2014 work? For example with "automining gems/ores," does that mean if I designate a rectangle it will mine the rectangle and then also mine outside of it to get to the gems/ores? If so, then what does "designating gems" and "designating ores" do?

Addamere fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 12, 2015

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Nietzschean posted:

Soon dwarves will even be able to drink from mugs!

e; Can someone explain to me how the new mining mods introduced in DF2014 work? For example with "automining gems/ores," does that mean if I designate a rectangle it will mine the rectangle and then also mine outside of it to get to the gems/ores? If so, then what does "designating gems" and "designating ores" do?

This terrifies me that at some point a dwarf will decide to dig through a pressurized waterwork in search of auto-designated wealth.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

18 Character Limit posted:

This terrifies me that at some point a dwarf will decide to dig through a pressurized waterwork in search of auto-designated wealth.

Urist McMiner cancels dig: drowning.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm not sure that DF itself actually clearly indicates a given dwarf's sexuality. Dwarf Therapist, however, will let you group dwarves by sexuality so you can see who's asexual, gay/lesbian, bi, and straight, also separated by sex. Seems that livestock and pets may also have multiple orientation possibilities (and a reluctance to marry which might not have been corrected, based on the bugtracker). You might also have some nonstandard animal settings that limit or bar reproduction if you're using mods in dfhack or the LNP.

So a little more about this weekend's journey to hell Chantdye. Chantdye was founded in year 1 and abandoned by refugees of the Daggers of Tautness in year 83 after the second rampage of some horrible rear end forgotten beast named the waters of refreshment or something ironic. It was reclaimed in year 121 by an expedition from the Daggers of Tautness. The neighbors are humans, kobolds, and goblins (with whom we're at war) and apparently a tower of necromancers who like to send out raiding parties. I'll have to export a log to ensure that I've gotten this story straight, but for the past 4 game years, goblins have invaded at least once a year. My military refuses to equip armor and weaponry reliably. For some reason, individual combat drill has a higher priority than any other job even when the given squad is inactive, though skills are improving slowly where they improve at all. This military is of painfully inadequate craftsdwarfship and has experienced >50% casualties in almost every engagement despite the use of multiple squads averaging between 7 and 10 dwarves with access to the specified equipment in their uniforms.

Perhaps due to alternating periods of mind-numbing boredom and ultimate body horror, a wrestling recruit and a doctor went mad during or shortly after the end of a goblin siege and started swinging cats around by their tongues, drop-kicking infants, launching children down the central mineshaft, and punching the poo poo out of everyone's hands and feet. In the wrassler's case, the stress was probably compounded by the fact that even when his squad was deactivated, he never actually quit drilling to return to doing his civilian job (and thus got no satisfaction bonus). The fortress is currently operating on a very open floorplan for reasons, so their mutual tantrums affected a large number of pets and settlers. The result was an axe-bearing wrassledwarf hacking off one or two tantruming heads with an <=iron battle axe=>. Other militia dwarves saw this and attacked the wrassledwarf, each other, and so on. A good chunk of civilians and militants died in this debacle. On the plus side, no survivors had wounds, because a great deal of the battle occurred in the hospital. So many dwarves were blown up by the dwarven atom smash suplex. Why don't they do this to enemies?

During a live training exercise, it was discovered that the pitted target goblin swordsbro had not actually been disarmed despite orders to that effect (and the enabled panoply of labors required across a range of dwarves for the six month window of opportunity in which the dumping orders had been in effect). The goblin took out three expert militia captains before being chased to the other end of the map, where he repeated collapsed of exhaustion while an array of bored, armed dwarves stood idly around and watched. The fortress guard were ordered to the scene and finally took care of business, pulping the goblin with their fists because who arms a fortress guard? No responsible overseer, that's who. I'm not convinced that the goblin didn't die of exhaustion.

I had two false start invasions that I ended up force-quitting out of sheer exasperation. In one, all my dwarves conveniently lined up under a crevasse to populate a shooting gallery for idle goblin invaders. The dwarves would neither flee to cover 1 square away nor fire back. In the other, I sent 70 military dwarves out during a necromantic siege to clear out 4 idle, dispersed undead goblins and the entire military was crushed. Something about that just doesn't seem quite right.

My stupid fix for the crevasse was to build a wall against the entrance, beneath the single square-width opening, so that there were only two exits which one had to pass diagonally through. This actually worked almost perfectly. Only two or three dwarves died this time. :saddowns: My fortass is the worst fortass. I am still patching security eight-ish years in. How was this site occupied without being conquered?

After another siege lifted, all the dwarves were happily failing to correctly prioritize jobs when a human were-zebra appeared. It destroyed over thirty militiadwarves before succumbing to Domas only knows what. I ran showunitsyndromes in dfhack, but perhaps it doesn't reveal lycanthropy. On the next full moon, two Urists unexpectedly became zebras twisted into humanoid form with glowing azure eyes. Do turned weres inherit the eye color of their biter? I ordered the military to kill them both. The squads may or may not have engaged the were-Urists (a doctor and a recruit-wrassler), but they certainly did turn on each other and the civilians. The two were-Urists killed over two dozen settlers each. By the time this loyalty cascade had ended, both were-Urists returned to their usual slovenly forms, but had acquired nicknames like "The Champion of Tribes" and became master fighters.

Two out of every three dwarves died during this were-zebra fiasco. Chantdye's hammerer survived to beat the wrassler were zebra to death with a shoe or something. The were-doctor was chained to a statue of dwarves with a copper chain. She transformed again the following month and jumped up and down on the nearby bed. Meanwhile, the dwarves got to work cracking the constructed wall around the warren where the vampiric dwarf resided quite nudely. The were-doctor was freed from her chain and assigned to the vampire's warren. Rebuilding the wall took three attempts, but on the third try the mason was finally on the correct side (that is, not the one where the vampire and were-doctor would fight to eat him). At this point it became a race to see which monstrous bastard would succumb first. As the date of the full moon loomed, the were-doctor began to suffer from dehydration. But before she fell to thirst or sleep, the full moon rose over Chantdye and she tied the vampire into a dwarven knot before ripping him in half and tossing the lower half over the wall of the enclosure. After she returned to dwarven form, the were-doctor hopped over the enclosure wall and chilled out in the hospital, perhaps seeing a patient or two before the enclosure was cracked again. She amiably returned to her prison, where the wall went back up, and then a stone ceiling was installed overhead. Now all executions in Chantdye will feature the unlucky bastard in question being shredded by a were-zebra. The doctor is in.

(Coincidentally, I believe she has killed every member of her family and almost every friend and acquaintance she had who resided in Chantdye.)

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 12, 2015

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Urist Hendrix has entered a fel mood.

Urist Hendrix has set his axe on fire.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Considering downloading this again and surrendering myself to Armok, but on two conditions:

1. Do military dwarves still spiral down into unending depression because they're unable to truly go off duty?
2. Do migrants still start arriving in unmanageable globs of 20+ after the first few seasons?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2014: Don't forget to check if your ram is gay or asexual.

Muscle Tracer posted:

1. Do military dwarves still spiral down into unending depression because they're unable to truly go off duty?
2. Do migrants still start arriving in unmanageable globs of 20+ after the first few seasons?

The old thought system has been completely revamped into one based on emotion and stress instead, and from my own experience it made it so the first point doesn't happen anymore. I'm afraid to say that the second point is still a painful reality, though.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 12, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

VerdantSquire posted:

The old thought system has been completely revamped into one based on emotion and stress instead, and from my own experience it made it so the first point doesn't happen anymore. I'm afraid to say that the second point is still a painful reality, though.

Well, that's good enough for me. Time to reinstitute a seniority-based caste system :getin:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Migrants do in fact arrive in huge globs. Just run a vampire fortress, and have all fresh meat work in the gulags until someone gets hungry! :unsmigghh:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Nietzschean posted:

Migrants do in fact arrive in huge globs. Just run a vampire fortress, and have all fresh meat work in the gulags until someone gets hungry! :unsmigghh:

Personally, I prefer a magma chamber. Sure, it requires you drill down to the magma layer if you don't start on a volcano, and the draining/reflooding mechanisms can be hard to set up at times, but its so much more effective at cleaning up the masses of useless migrants. Trust me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

Considering downloading this again and surrendering myself to Armok, but on two conditions:

1. Actually, yes, but the mechanism has changed from off-duty status not working to job priorities being funky.
2. Yes, but if your fort's a meat grinder, that's a good thing. Try a reclaim instead!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Speaking of which! How do you tell? I know that I have some kind of queer female dwarf in a fort; in therapist, her gender symbol is a pink combination of female and male symbols, with the male part very pale. What does this mean?
I don't know how in game, but in therapist asexuals are grey, bisexuals are the male/female combo sign color coded to gender, and homosexual is a double symbol of the gender symbol, two pink venus or two blue mars. You can group by Gender & Orientation under the Animal tab for more efficient anti-queer slaughter. (I sort of hate myself.)

Nietzschean posted:

Can someone explain to me how the new mining mods introduced in DF2014 work? For example with "automining gems/ores," does that mean if I designate a rectangle it will mine the rectangle and then also mine outside of it to get to the gems/ores? If so, then what does "designating gems" and "designating ores" do?
It's just that digv is now baked in. Ctrl+V on what you have revealed of a vein or cluster and it will auto-designate the entire vein/cluster to be mined, so long as it is continuous to the part you had highlighted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yes, but there is a work around. The init now has a Strict pop cap setting. You can set the strict pop cap to 50 and you absolutely will not get migrants once you reach 50, unlike the old system were you could routinely another wave or two after reaching the cap.

That means that you could set the cap to 30 (or whatever) and start the game. When everything is stable and you are ready to expand, change the cap to 50 and restart. Once you've absorbed those immigrants and are read to expand more, set the cap to 75 and restart. Etc. You'd need to reload the game each time to get it to read the new init setting, but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep a tight reign on your population if that is the only thing stopping you.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
help how do i unflood a chamber
There's no more water coming in, and there's a drainage tunnel (at the same level as the floodplain) but it's taking FOR loving EVER for the depth 1/2/3 water to clear. I don't really want to channel little holes in the floor if I can avoid it

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

There's no more water coming in, and there's a drainage tunnel (at the same level as the floodplain) but it's taking FOR loving EVER for the depth 1/2/3 water to clear. I don't really want to channel little holes in the floor if I can avoid it

Pump in magma! Shallow water will evaporate and everything else becomes wondrous obsidian!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

awesmoe posted:

Okay, first you're going to need a dragon. You do have a dragon, right?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Angela Christine posted:

Okay, first you're going to need a dragon. You do have a dragon, right?

I have a snake pit and lots of turkeys. does that help?
e: hmm there are 2 giant toads hanging out in the flood chamber. Maybe I can edit the raws to make them really hot.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Buncha floodgates hooked to a lever set to Pull with repeat.

By the time you're done building, linking it all the water will be evaporated.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RedTonic posted:

Pump in magma! Shallow water will evaporate and everything else becomes wondrous obsidian!
Look buddy I tunned down a hundred and fourty one z levels so I wouldnt have to figure out pumps
then I tunneled a different shaft a hundred and ten levels down to get some water
It may have not gone entirely to plan If you think im going to pussy out now and start pumping poo poo UP you've got another think coming

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

Look buddy I tunned down a hundred and fourty one z levels so I wouldnt have to figure out pumps
then I tunneled a different shaft a hundred and ten levels down to get some water
It may have not gone entirely to plan If you think im going to pussy out now and start pumping poo poo UP you've got another think coming

Even better. Assign a pesky migrant/wax-worker as miner, warren him into the area you want mined out, dig vertical stairwells beneath flooded chamber, let it drain into magma hellhole. BRING WATER TO HELL

e: had a pumpstack all ready in last game after mining down 165 z-levels to reach magma, then hit framerate death. still have not actually let 'er rip on a pumpstack yet.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RedTonic posted:

Even better. Assign a pesky migrant/wax-worker as miner, warren him into the area you want mined out, dig vertical stairwells beneath flooded chamber, let it drain into magma hellhole. BRING WATER TO HELL

e: had a pumpstack all ready in last game after mining down 165 z-levels to reach magma, then hit framerate death. still have not actually let 'er rip on a pumpstack yet.
the floodplain is directly over the bedrooms
what does a window into hell do to property values? It seems like the kind of thing dwarves would appreciate.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

the floodplain is directly over the bedrooms
what does a window into hell do to property values? It seems like the kind of thing dwarves would appreciate.

I don't see a problem here. :colbert: wall off the 1x1 floodchute first, then let 'er rip. Also, a window into hell would be so amazing. I think glass is still magma-proof, so use a glass block instead and you've got the best terrarium EVER and it's safe from even the most determined building destroyer.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Yes, but there is a work around. The init now has a Strict pop cap setting. You can set the strict pop cap to 50 and you absolutely will not get migrants once you reach 50, unlike the old system were you could routinely another wave or two after reaching the cap.

That means that you could set the cap to 30 (or whatever) and start the game. When everything is stable and you are ready to expand, change the cap to 50 and restart. Once you've absorbed those immigrants and are read to expand more, set the cap to 75 and restart. Etc. You'd need to reload the game each time to get it to read the new init setting, but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep a tight reign on your population if that is the only thing stopping you.

The strict pop cap is fantastic but, and I'm being an incredibly needy DF player here, I think it'd be great to have a strict migration wave cap option.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It'd be cool if the demons in hell were really strong against dwarves but weak to particularly adorable things. Like if a kitten scratches one its limb falls off and you can colonize hell by dumping cute stuff into it and flooding it with water and dolphins and coconuts

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

The strict pop cap is fantastic but, and I'm being an incredibly needy DF player here, I think it'd be great to have a strict migration wave cap option.

It's called the 1st Subterranean Exploration Brigade.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Wanton slaughter is 100% the correct way to deal with large migrant waves. And you don't need magma! Just drop them down a long shaft into water or hard stone, or Hell, just lock undesirables in a special time-out room until they die of thirst. Not only does this mitigate the immediate crisis, but the next migration wave should be smaller and easier to manage, because reports are that 20-30 people showed up and then up and died. Once I have 2-3 full squads, a big handful of haulers/general laborers, and my specialists handled, which doesn't take many dwarves, they all go in the pit. It takes either military losses needing to be reinforced, or a very special dwarf to get past the very special visa process.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

y'know in all my years of playing DF I've never willingly made a death trap room for use on my own dwarves

....time to fire up DF

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Excelzior posted:

y'know in all my years of playing DF I've never willingly made a death trap room for use on my own dwarves

....time to fire up DF

The first time I decided I was sick of a bunch of babies, kids, and cheesemaskers clogging poo poo up and dropped them in a volcano, it was like I'd discovered a whole new game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

RedTonic posted:

It's called the 1st Subterranean Exploration Brigade.

Actually, you're spot on. In my last fortress, I had a problem - I wanted to make clothes, so I tried to gather as much silk as I could from the caverns. Unfortunately, there were giant cave spiders down there, and no matter how many I killed, more would spawn. Meanwhile, dwarf casualties were mounting.

The solution turned out to be enabling the Weaving profession on all my migrants. In the depths, with endless webs to collect and giant cave spiders lurking around every corner, only the strong survive.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

Actually, you're spot on. In my last fortress, I had a problem - I wanted to make clothes, so I tried to gather as much silk as I could from the caverns. Unfortunately, there were giant cave spiders down there, and no matter how many I killed, more would spawn. Meanwhile, dwarf casualties were mounting.

The solution turned out to be enabling the Weaving profession on all my migrants. In the depths, with endless webs to collect and giant cave spiders lurking around every corner, only the strong survive.

That's an incredibly good use to put them to. And a suitably rigorous citizenship exam. If I ever have the excess migrant issue again, they're all being drafted to the Silk Aquisition Squads (the dwarven SAS?!). I haven't actually had any GCS appear in my forts. Just the regular cave spiders. I feel as though I've been missing out.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

RedTonic posted:

I haven't actually had any GCS appear in my forts. Just the regular cave spiders. I feel as though I've been missing out.

I caught a couple in cage traps, trained them, and they replaced the dogs guarding the entrance of my fort. I love them so much. Unfortunately not a breeding pair.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I imagine cave spiders and great cave spiders just being large version of this little fella.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Messing about with a fort in an evil biome, and immediately remembering why I don't: an entire herd of undead giant boars just came charging onto the map less than five minutes after embark. They didn't even run into any sort of foul weather, which at least I would understand: I just have endless waves of pre-deadified animals coming to visit.

I'd like to set up a fort near a tower sometime and actually try to deal with invasions, but the undead are so overpowered it doesn't ever seem worth the effort.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

I'd like to set up a fort near a tower sometime and actually try to deal with invasions, but the undead are so overpowered it doesn't ever seem worth the effort.

I really wish that undead just fell apart into constituent body parts when killed, and that those body parts became harmless-but-gross spatter, like *writhing pulp* or something, when they were killed. Wonder if that sort of thing would be possible to mod in.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That's why I changed the syndrome in my own executable with dfint.exe. Zombies and husks are tough enough as is, they don't need literal Hulk muscles to protect them further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

And then, for shits and giggles, I started an ocean fort, bringing along only miners, food and drink, and 50+ cats.

I immediately started digging to Hell, planning to flood it with the sea of water and kittens.