Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Was just going to write it sounds like two, maybe 3 howitzers and then something like a battery did hit. Uh oh. YouTube chat as usual for conflict streams and videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

SLD going against their professed ideology is a long tradition - Leszek Miller, as the Prime Minister, wanted to implement flat income tax and made a lot of concession to Catholic bishops while trying to get their support of EU accession. For some reason, there are people who still view SLD as a social-democrat party, but those usually tend to think the same about every party on the Polish political scene but KNP and neonazis. Most of the others moved on.

Wasn't SDRP something like a proper left-wing party? Whatever happened to those guys?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Yeah, it'll go sporadically and then pick up into non-stop volleys at times. The weirdest part is the people just going about their daily lives.

e: if somebody has the ability to do so, they should record at least a portion of the stream to document the extremely intense periods of shelling. May be useful down the road, I dunno.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Mokotow posted:

Wasn't SDRP something like a proper left-wing party? Whatever happened to those guys?

I think you mean SdPL, Borowski's splitters - SdRP was the original incarnation of SLD in the 90's. In brief, once they didn't get into parliament in 2005, they entered a coalition with SLD in the next elections and, like every other leftist outfit that attempted this, became a vassal party. Since SLD's basic MO is to take those apart and poach their people (see: PPS, Unia Pracy which were both awesome in their heyday, Jaruga-Nowacka's flash-in-the-pan Union of the Left, other plankton), so over the next few years they bled members to SLD, PO and then Palikot and now they're a rump party of irrelevant holdouts.

Frankly it's amazing how many small, more or less genuinely left-wing parties made the exact same mistake of making a deal with the devil and ended up the same way. You'd think they'd learn that it's the kiss of death, but nope.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Another live Donetsk cam, facing the airport. You can see the flashes now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_CUXrw7K8

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

The summary is correct except that everybody is convinced that the conservatives will win the parliament too. Josipovic (nicknamed Squid by his opponents) was the most popular politician in the country until recently (in fact he might still be that) and yet he lost. The hated prime minister has even less chances. The social democrats need an entirely new leadership. This one managed to squander away the support so quickly that it borders with miraculous. In 2011 the conservative PM ended in prison over corruption charges and the conservative party as a legal entity was charged too. His party colleagues who used to lick his heels turned instantly against him and prominent conservatives spent the following months at each other's throat. It was a pathetic display of back-stabbing and weakness. In the end Karamarko emerged. He has no charisma and no perceivable qualities and comes from intelligence background, which didn't resonate well with the public. And yet he will be the next PM because no matter how low his party stood in 2011, social democrats are managing to do worse.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Guess who's never leaving Russia ever again.

quote:

Interpol has put ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich on the international wanted list on Ukrainian charges of embezzlement and financial wrong-doing, according to a notice on the international police organization's website on Monday.

Ukrainian authorities said Interpol's publication of a so-called red notice against the 64-year-old Yanukovich, who has been living in Russia since being ousted by street protests almost a year ago, empowered any police force to hand him over to Ukraine if he was detained.

"Today, several months after Ukraine sent a request to Interpol in March 2014 with the arguments and explanations prepared by the Interior Ministry, the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Security Service of Ukraine, an Interpol special commission has come to a decision," Interior Minister Arsen Avakov wrote on his Facebook page.

Yanukovich fled across the border into Russia in February last year after months of street protests in Kiev against his decision to back away from a deal that would take Ukraine towards integration with Europe and tighten economic ties with Russia, Ukraine's old Soviet master.

The pro-western authorities who took over have accused him and a coterie of relatives and close allies known as The Family, of accumulating huge wealth by robbing state coffers and plundering national assets through corrupt deals.

Yanukovich has denied that he or members of his family were involved in corruption schemes.

After he fled, Russia said Yanukovich had been the victim of a "fascist" coup and went on to annex Ukraine's Crimean peninsula.

In an intensifying confrontation with Kiev's pro-Western leadership, it has supported separatists in Ukraine's industrialized east in a conflict in which more than 4,700 people have been killed, though Moscow denies its forces have been involved in fighting.

Doctor Malaver posted:

The summary is correct except that everybody is convinced that the conservatives will win the parliament too. Josipovic (nicknamed Squid by his opponents) was the most popular politician in the country until recently (in fact he might still be that) and yet he lost. The hated prime minister has even less chances. The social democrats need an entirely new leadership. This one managed to squander away the support so quickly that it borders with miraculous. In 2011 the conservative PM ended in prison over corruption charges and the conservative party as a legal entity was charged too. His party colleagues who used to lick his heels turned instantly against him and prominent conservatives spent the following months at each other's throat. It was a pathetic display of back-stabbing and weakness. In the end Karamarko emerged. He has no charisma and no perceivable qualities and comes from intelligence background, which didn't resonate well with the public. And yet he will be the next PM because no matter how low his party stood in 2011, social democrats are managing to do worse.

Is this due to voter apathy/cynicism with the whole system? It seems to be the way of things is many countries. Only a few care about government enough to fight over control, while the majority of people could give a poo poo less. It's by design to a degree, but also people are fed up because they can't really participate so stop caring.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I didn't see this mentioned. Croatia's new president is their first woman president. Regardless of her political party that's kinda cool.

Some crisis news from my region, South-Eastern Serbia:

Južne Vesti posted:

In Toplica sunflower oil has already settled in as a fuel alternative; Illustration

Drivers in Prokuplje have started filling up their cars with ordinary sunflower oil instead of euro-diesel.

Some of them we talked to say that sunflower oil does not damage the motor more than fuel intended for cars, and that drivers decide in favor of it because it is far cheaper, so most frequently those who power their cars on sunflower oil are taxi drivers or those who are going on a longer journey.

The gas stations in Prokuplje say that their business has decreased and that they know many fuel their cars with sunflower oil.

"In Niš I buy Russian sunflower oil which costs 86 dinars per liter, and a liter of euro-diesel costs 140 dinars now. That is a great saving and when I don't have the money I go for sunflower oil. I have already driven my car on sunflower oil several times, most often when I'm driving far" says Miroslav Krivačević from Prokuplje. He adds that driving with oil is far more economical but that he doesn't dare drive everyday without petrol.

"As my car mechanic friend told me, it's best to mix petrol and sunflower oil. Even that is cheaper than pure petrol." adds Krivačević. Besides sunflower oil people power diesel cars with transformer oil, although it is harder to find.

One car mechanic from Prokuplje has confirmed for Juzne Vesti that sunflower oil has become a commonplace fuel in that community.

What you must pay take care about is that sunflower oil does not remain in the tank but should , if you really must, be used "in one breath" as they say. The number of people using it is always increasing. I've driven on sunflower oil once, just to try it. People make do as they can and for immediate needs it can do the job, but I personally think it's continual use is not really recommended" says car mechanic Zoran Branković for Juzne Vesti.

Also, our kinship terms are ridiculous. I love them.

E: There's an old saying in Serbia: "Što južnije, to tužnije." or roughly "The further south you go the sadder it gets."

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
So can we get someone from Auto Insanity to discuss the validity/efficacy of this happening new trend?

edit: I asked in their questions thread.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 12, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Discendo Vox posted:

So can we get someone from Auto Insanity to discuss the validity/efficacy of this happening new trend?

Somebody in the comments linked a surprisingly relevant Mythbusters video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEX1YFXYTdI, myth confirmed haha.

E: In fact, you'll notice in the video it says they specifically said used cooking oil. The guy who linked the video was replying to some other guy who said the best oil to use for your car is used one from a restaurant if you can get it.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 12, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEX1YFXYTdI

e: ^^^^ :argh:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Brown Moses or somebody else with smarts, what is on the left side of the screen in this video? A buddy of mine (SA user mng) had a keen eye and spotted this earlier, so I nabbed it earlier from the Ruptly live stream. It looks like an aircraft flare but it isn't in the air long enough. Is it just artillery at night, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUg1-m8E0uM

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The moment you realize that the booming noises in the livestream are not wind is kinda scary.

Holy poo poo, all those explosions. :stare: I think I heard a car alarm go off, and maybe an ambulance?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

my dad posted:

The moment you realize that the booming noises in the livestream are not wind is kinda scary.

Holy poo poo, all those explosions. :stare: I think I heard a car alarm go off, and maybe an ambulance?

I saw a fire truck going by on a different stream earlier. I find it absolutely surreal to watch a war in real-time like this. We've had war reporting for a while, and embedded video reporters too, but this is completely different. It's the closest thing to being a first-hand witness to history as many of us can get. It also really puts things in perspective seeing people walking around in that video, right now, across the world from me, and getting shelled like that is just Monday for them. Fuckin' science.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Discendo Vox posted:

If your intention is to quickly kill a modern high-pressure diesel engine, than it's quite effective. May work for a Belarus tractor though :belarus:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Reuters is on a roll today with the Eastern Europe stories. Here is one on why Ukraine should not be allowed to join NATO.

quote:

Placing Ukraine on the path to NATO membership is currently promoted by Kiev and some forces in the West, who believe in getting tough with Russia.

There are plenty of reasons why the West wants to rein Russia in. The war with Georgia in August 2008, the recent annexation of Crimea and the hybrid war in Ukraine are all evidence of expansionist behavior that concerns Europe and the United States. Some see arming Ukraine, and making it a NATO member, as the best way of achieving stability. This, however, is a dangerous idea.

There are reasons to believe that the move will provoke Russia, a country that already feels threatened by the West’s growing influence in Eastern Europe ever since the collapse of communism.

To Russian foreign policy experts, NATO remains one of the most tangible threats to the country. That is no surprise, given that it was created as a Western alliance against the Soviet Union.

In 2008, the United States first started openly pushing for Georgia and Ukraine’s membership in the alliance. At the time, Russia responded with alarm. As early as June 2006, Russia’s foreign minister said that Ukraine or Georgia joining NATO could lead to a colossal shift in global geopolitics. Fearful of the consequences of admitting the countries into the alliance, France and Germany managed to block membership at the NATO Summit in April 2008, which was held in Bucharest.

It is not just NATO that has Russia on edge. The United States and other leading Western nations like France, Britain and Germany, endorsed the “color revolutions” in former Soviet countries like Georgia, Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine, which were seen as highly destabilizing by Russia.

Then, in February 2014, Western governments supported the Maidan protests in Kiev, which the Kremlin feared could be a prelude to revolution in Russia itself. As President Vladimir Putin put it in his Crimea speech, “with Ukraine, our Western partners have crossed the line, playing the bear and acting irresponsibly and unprofessionally.”

The tense stand-off that followed between the West and Russia resulted in an ever-worsening situation in Ukraine and the widest-ranging sanctions against Russia since the end of the Cold War. Relations keep hitting new lows, and will only deteriorate further if NATO membership for Ukraine remains on the Western agenda.

Is the West prepared for an aggressive response by Putin to the perceived NATO threat?

Putin has boldly tested the West’s will on numerous occasions. The European Leadership Initiative Network recently issued a report in which it documented about 40 dangerous incidents between Russia and NATO planes since March 2014. The incidents included “violations of national airspace, emergency scrambles, narrowly avoided mid-air collisions, close encounters at sea, simulated attack runs and other dangerous happenings,” according to the report.

Among the routine skirmishes taking place, there have been 11 “serious” incidents, such Russian planes flying unusually close to Western warships. More worryingly still, three incidents last year ran a high risk of leading to either casualties or direct military intervention. The ‘submarine hunt’ in Swedish waters in October, the Russian abduction of a veteran Estonian intelligence officer in September, and a near-collision of a Russian surveillance plane with an SAS flight from Copenhagen, Denmark, to Rome in March: all of these incidents could have led to unintended escalation.

Meanwhile, the West seems unwilling to respond to Russia with resolve. Russia seized the Estonian officer a mere two days after President Barack Obama visited Tallinn and promised Estonia full military support. NATO and the European Union called for a strong response to the incident, but so far no such response followed, indicating the lack of will to engage with an aggressive Russia.

In Russia, support for robust actions only grows stronger by the day. Due to the economic sanctions and domestic propaganda campaign, the overwhelming majority of Russians now view the Western nations as enemies seeking to destroy Russia and its leaders. If need be, the Kremlin will have no serious difficulty finding public support for an outright military intervention in Ukraine.

The solution to this is not NATO membership for Ukraine. Such a move will only contribute to turning Russia from an angry but manageable power into a real enemy and, possibly, starting a wider war in Europe.

Stability hinges on the West agreeing not to pull Ukraine into NATO or the EU. For the time being, it is beneficial to have Russia as a co-provider of Ukraine’s security and development, together with the West.

In a longer run, a new conference on European security must be called to formally end the post-Cold War era and establish a security system with Russia and Ukraine as key players.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Reuters is on a roll today with the Eastern Europe stories. Here is one on why Ukraine should not be allowed to join NATO.

Well I dunno, all I'm getting from this is that Ukraine shouldn't be allowed in the NATO because Europeans a massive loving pussies

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

In the end Karamarko emerged. He has no charisma and no perceivable qualities and comes from intelligence background, which didn't resonate well with the public. And yet he will be the next PM because no matter how low his party stood in 2011, social democrats are managing to do worse.

Just for illustrative purposes, we are talking about someone that looks like something out of MMO character generator gone haywire:

Hello, mister future prime minister.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Gervasius posted:

Just for illustrative purposes, we are talking about someone that looks like something out of MMO character generator gone haywire:

Oh God, this is gonna be a disaster :cripes:

Just get it over with, please.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Hey man, it's tough growing up in Tamriel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That is uncanny. It's the perfect expression for talking about how you saw a mudcrab the other day.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think he looks like a slightly confused vampire.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well I dunno, all I'm getting from this is that Ukraine shouldn't be allowed in the NATO because Europeans a massive loving pussies

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. The writer praises Russia and Putin for strength and says Europe and America lack the resolve to back Ukraine to the hilt, so the natural conclusion is that America and Europe should sack up, go all in on protecting Ukraine from Russian aggression and dare Russia to try something because that's what a "strong" country does.

I have to wonder if this conflict will still be simmering by 2016, and if a new American administration (*cough* Hillary *cough*) would change their current stance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Friendly Tumour posted:

Germany and France aren't Europe.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. The writer praises Russia and Putin for strength and says Europe and America lack the resolve to back Ukraine to the hilt, so the natural conclusion is that America and Europe should sack up, go all in on protecting Ukraine from Russian aggression and dare Russia to try something because that's what a "strong" country does.

I have to wonder if this conflict will still be simmering by 2016, and if a new American administration (*cough* Hillary *cough*) would change their current stance.

Why would president Cruz change his name to Hilary? :smaug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gervasius posted:

Cat Mattress posted:

That is uncanny. It's the perfect expression for talking about how you saw a mudcrab the other day.

A Pale Horse posted:

I think he looks like a slightly confused vampire.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you guys straight up mocking him for making a surprised expression that got caught on film at one point? This is akin to those "smugbama" memes.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dolash posted:

Playing chicken with 50 million euro strike-fighter aircraft is the true measure of a military superpower :argh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just commenting on the funny expression. No real mockery intended.

And yeah every prominent politician will get thousands of unflattering photos of them made. Some of them are pretty funny.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Mattress posted:

And yeah every prominent politician will get thousands of unflattering photos of them made. Some of them are pretty funny.

And yet, some people are just inherently funny looking. Like Mr. Pruime minister of the chechnya

Look at this motherfucker. Hahaha

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Friendly Tumour posted:

And yet, some people are just inherently funny looking. Like Mr. Pruime minister of the chechnya

Sheesh, he's a Croat, not a Chechen, and also don't leech images. Especially from a Croatian state site, he'll find us out that way :tinfoil:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hello mr prime minister

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Is this due to voter apathy/cynicism with the whole system? It seems to be the way of things is many countries. Only a few care about government enough to fight over control, while the majority of people could give a poo poo less. It's by design to a degree, but also people are fed up because they can't really participate so stop caring.

There is definitely a lot of apathy/cynicism, there were 2,71% irregular ballots - people crossing out both candidates or adding a third one (like Superman) themselves. That's more than the final difference between the candidates.

However, it doesn't show that people feel powerless but that they feel that none of the political options are any good. The whole conservatives/social democrats power struggle (and occasional emerging of a third party) is independent from voter apathy.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you guys straight up mocking him for making a surprised expression that got caught on film at one point? This is akin to those "smugbama" memes.

Sorry we were making jokes bro.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

quote:

Stability hinges on the West agreeing not to pull Ukraine into NATO or the EU. For the time being, it is beneficial to have Russia as a co-provider of Ukraine’s security and development, together with the West.

Didn't Ukraine give up their nuclear weapons with the understanding that Russia and the west would guarantee their territory? Look how well that worked out, why on earth would Ukraine want a firm alliance with NATO when they could have another promise from Russia? :rolleyes:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Sorry we were making jokes bro.

Just not very funny ones.

* proceeds to shoot all posters with a rifle *

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Je Suis Chuckie

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Je Suis Cucked

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

:cumpolice:
Karamarko can mean "Mark fucker" in Croatian slang. So all of you Marks out there prepare to get

:cumpolice:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Kara is also the Turkish word for "black" :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Brown Moses or somebody else with smarts, what is on the left side of the screen in this video? A buddy of mine (SA user mng) had a keen eye and spotted this earlier, so I nabbed it earlier from the Ruptly live stream. It looks like an aircraft flare but it isn't in the air long enough. Is it just artillery at night, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUg1-m8E0uM

Looks like White phosphorus for illumination. Which is a legal use for it.

Another example from early in the war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43stDvLDAWM&t=41s

• Locked thread