Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Big Willy Style posted:

I usually just take some sand from a beach or construction site. A natural non uniform grit looks better in my opinion. I just use PVA/wood glue or if i am in a rush I will use cheap superglue. Making ok looking bases is the most basic thing in this hobby and is hwen you will do most of your drybrushing. Varnishing the model will help the sand to stick to the base as well.

I hope you boil the sand from a beach before you glue it to your models. Otherwise that poo poo is gonna stink after a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I've had unboiled sand on my eldar for close to 3 years now. They're fine.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

serious gaylord posted:

I hope you boil the sand from a beach before you glue it to your models. Otherwise that poo poo is gonna stink after a few months.

i never have and it has never stunk in my 10+ years in this hobby.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
In Florida it is illegal to take sand from beaches. Lots of beaches have to buy sand and truck it in.

There are cool textured paints or GW technical stuff like cracked earth you can get instead of actual sand, or you can buy clean sand from Lowes or Home Depot for cheep.

It also makes for a good waste container to pour your used paint water into. Pouring paint down the drain is bad, but into a bucket of sand is good because it will evaporate the water and then eventually you can just put the sand in a landfill. That is my understanding anyway.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Go to Wickes or your US equiv of Wickes, buy a bag of sand.

I literally bought a bag the size of a small child for about £4 and carried it home with my friend. Weighed about 20KG.

We based a 4x6 table with it, barely dented it. Just baked the sand in the oven for ten minutes to dry it and kill anything in it. Easy.

Just need a place to store it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lord Twisted posted:

Go to Wickes or your US equiv of Wickes, buy a bag of sand.

I literally bought a bag the size of a small child for about £4 and carried it home with my friend. Weighed about 20KG.

We based a 4x6 table with it, barely dented it. Just baked the sand in the oven for ten minutes to dry it and kill anything in it. Easy.

Just need a place to store it.

Storage is the problem I had. Which is why I went to my local model train store and spent about £1 on a 500g bag of model train basing sand. £ for lb a much worse deal, but I could at that point afford the space for the one, but not the other.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm still trying to give away a bag of very fine-grain sand I bought from a DIY shop. I should fill tiny zip-lock baggies and sell them online for the same price I paid for the bag (£5).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

So a good number of people recommended I finish my bases, and I just need a list of stuff that I can snag to make this happen. I watched a few tutorials on how do basic dirt/sand bases, and it doesn't seem to complicated. That being said is there a recommended modeling sand or anything of nature that I should be using? Basically the nearest hobby stores are over an hour away, and if I can get everything I need at the local Wal-Mart and draw the colors from my current paint collection(Rhinox Hide and Skrag Brown, seem to be the best I have) that would be pretty nice. I think one guy just used sand he had from outside, but considering the ground is covered in 6 inches of snow I am unsure if just digging up a hunk of earth is the way to go. Will glue I find at your local Wal-Mart do the trick on this or do I need a special brand to make sure the stuff sticks properly?

http://www.champindustries.net/bases.html

I'll just leave this here for you. If you're not the sand base with corkboard and flocking type (like me), these are CheatMode_1. They paint up quickly, take washes well and if you really want to throw down a little flock or some of that standing grass between the cracks in the urban bases, it's super simple.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I bought a bag of Woodland Scenics basing sand about 5 years ago. I've based half a dozen armies on it and I still have enough left to do one more. It cost me less than ten bucks. I just glue that down with PVA glue (again, a massive bottle is a couple bucks) and prime it with everything else. Tends to stick on pretty good, and it drybrushes like nothing. Sometimes I put on basing snow or static grass. My bases are stupid simple, and I don't just mean the Goblin Green ones. Basing is like zero effort and no time and the results look awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I use cat litter, it's for sale every where and makes a good base and takes washes etc.. well. If I want sand or something I go outside to this parking lot and take that.

Basing : It costs literally nothing.

Also, if you eat chicken after wards just boil that poo poo forever then break up the bones after it's dry they look pretty cool on bases especially the larger ones.

You can also just set out some mouse traps outside, then when the rats die and are decomposing boil the skin and everything off and use their carcasses and skulls for basing.

Dead birds are useful as well.

See a Dead bird on the road , take that poo poo home. Boil all that outside by the way.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 12, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please don't base your miniatures with dead animals what the gently caress

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I take it you haven't seen his heldrake conversion yet? I have no idea how he got the plastic to stick to bone like that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tommofork posted:

I take it you haven't seen his heldrake conversion yet? I have no idea how he got the plastic to stick to bone like that.

If this is a real thing then you cannot say it and not post it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I use cat litter, it's for sale every where and makes a good base and takes washes etc.. well. If I want sand or something I go outside to this parking lot and take that.

Also, if you eat chicken after wards just boil that poo poo forever then break up the bones after it's dry they look pretty cool on bases especially the larger ones.

You can also just set out some mouse traps outside, then when the rats die and are decomposing boil the skin and everything off and use their carcasses and skulls for basing.

See a Dead bird on the road , take that poo poo home. Boil all that outside by the way.

Plz post your dead animal bases thanks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Shrug, personally I only consider a model truly mine until I've bitten my tongue and spat out the blood for cool splash effects on my models, used nail clippings for base decorations and dead skin flakes for adding grungy texture to my chaos dudes, plus my own hair for grass.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Hollismason posted:

Get hosed

e: please post your dead animal bases

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

This is the best post in the thread.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A dead iguana skeleton and some large wing bones from a flying animal can make for a great Dragon bone terrain piece.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

panascope posted:

This is the best post in the thread.

Owl pellets?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kill your family dog, just for laughs

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

make sure you boil it down for ages though

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
This isn't good advice! I wanted to base my Orks with craft macaroni, and when I boiled it, I got all soft! It smelt horrible after a month, too. :smith:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know someone who played space wolves that skinned mice and rats for use as realistic pelts.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
god dammit goons, this page is just nasty. And the last page was so good too...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LordAba posted:

I know someone who played space wolves that skinned mice and rats for use as realistic pelts.

Pretty sure that guy's a serial killer by now mate.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

I started to type a response and then realized I am at a loss for words here....

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Wrong on basing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If you want him to stop posting just stop responding to him its not hard guys come on now.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

If you want him to stop posting just stop responding to him its not hard guys come on now.

You know that doesn't work.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hollismason owns and I hope he never stops posting. :colbert:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ANAmal.net posted:

Hollismason owns and I hope he never stops posting. :colbert:

His new gimmick is great.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder how horrified you'd all be if I said I've drawn still lifes with cow skulls before.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

gently caress off

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Last page was a spectacular orgy of outlandishly expensive Apocalypse battles and labor-intensive themed battlefields. It's great to see this page focus on more humble, affordable, DIY hobby options. Has dandruff snow flock been mentioned yet? I also hear that American cheese can be draped over miniatures to achieve realistic folding capes which, if left to cure for a month or two, become rock-hard.

I was asked to photograph my Dimachaeron mouth, so here it is for some real contribution.

Also,

An Angry Bug posted:

As always, amazing. Totally getting some dryads to run as demons.
If my old image host was working, I'd post the picture of the dryads that play as Daemonettes in this detachment.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 13, 2015

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

What do you guys think of this for a general Blood Angels 750 list? I wasn't really sure what to do at this lower points amount (and I'm not super experienced in BA) so I didn't get too creative. I have a 750 game or 2 coming up and my opponent will likely be Necrons, Eldar, or Tau.

Baal Strike Force Detachment

HQ
Librarian - ML2, Force Stave, The Angel's Wing, The Veritas Vitae

Elites
5-man Death Company Squad - 1 Power Fist, Jump Packs

Troops
5-man Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino
5-man Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino

FA
5-man Assault Squad - 2 Meltaguns

HS
Predator - Autocannon turret, Lascannon sponsons, Overcharged Engines

The Librarian would be attached to the Death Company and they'd be deep striking. I was thinking I'd stick him with Divination.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

serious gaylord posted:

He's basically Noctis and should be treated as such.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Star Man posted:

I wonder how horrified you'd all be if I said I've drawn still lifes with cow skulls before.

but do you go out and kill them yourself, and boil it forever?

this is the difference

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Leo Showers posted:

but do you go out and kill them yourself, and boil it forever?

this is the difference

No, but I know ranchers that take their dead animals out somewhere on their property and let the scavengers get at them. So I could acquire bones that way if I wanted to. But using something like an iguana skeleton for a set piece for a 40K table actually sounds like a neat idea to me, though I'd prefer that the iguana skeleton was from one that was dissected in a biology class instead of road kill.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

kill them yourself, and boil it forever?

I will start a Chaos Space Marine warband: The Kill-Boilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That monstrous lictor is super cool, buffchix. Now let's quit paying attention to the homeless person who wandered in here and keep posting cool poo poo:

• Locked thread