Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Thanks You Am I. Now to pick all the stuff up at some stage this month.

fjelltorsk posted:

Just a bit of warning/advice for you on the TT01/02 platform
- the 101bk reg does not have lipo cutoff, this means that it will run your lipo battery until it is empty given the chance. this is bad because lipos does not handle being run that far down, they should typically be stopped at about 2.8-3.2v per cell to avoid damage to the battery or fires.

That car has the above ESC, so it will need to get the "five dollar lipo cutoff/alarm from ebay" or a new ESC. Based on what fjelltorsk has said so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Duh. Missed that, Thanks.

Although I am seriously considering saving the $$$ even though it's a steal, to go towards Yeti XL

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ESCs don't care what type of battery you use. Battery chargers do however.

Also check out the For Sale forum on rctech.net you can pick up some cheap kit there second hand.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
If you know What you are doing you can run lipo without cutoff. Just be vert carefull not to run the battery for too Long.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think TT01 has a plastic driveshaft right? I would upgrade that before I run a hotter battery or any motor faster than the silvercan it comes with. Also some plastic tub style tamiya cars have molded tubs specifically designed to hold a nimh stick pack, and dont necessarily accommodate the more square plastic cased lipos. Im sure you could fix it with a dremel or something though.

As a general word of caution, the older style mostly plastic tamiya cars do not really handle the punishment that modern motor and battery combos put out without a tremendous amount of expensive upgrades. If you are planning to make a touring car chassis really fast, dont start with one of those.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Duh. Missed that, Thanks.

Although I am seriously considering saving the $$$ even though it's a steal, to go towards Yeti XL

If you're that into the Yeti XL maybe you should hold off on buying a touring car and look for something more offroad? Or you could buy ColonelJohnMatrix's non-XL roller and plop some electronics in. Still going to be more expensive than the Tamiya, but last time I tried to save money by getting a cheap Tamiya kit I wound up spending more than the kit price over again in upgrades.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Tamiyas are the ultimate gateway drug. The price of admission is cheap but once the upgrades start flowing you wake up in your garage with an empty bank account.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite posted:

Somewhat heroic, can you talk a little bit about the big red cat racing vehicles? I haven't had much luck finding reviews/infos other than from red rock themselves or fanboys. I'm curious to learn more about them.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Yesterday was a busy day at work. Since we are primarily online-retail you can imagine that when we get back from the weekend things are spread a bit thin.

The Redcat brushless vehicles are okay. I have been a hobbyist long enough to take a step back and realize that a vehicle works best when it is used what it was designed to be. The Redcat lineup are price-point vehicles. meaning that they have an initial low price. Replacement parts are relatively inexpensive and not impossible to get. If you "want a brushless 1/5 car for cheap" then that is your ticket. It will definitely not be the best out there, it will not be the fastest, or the most durable. That is not what they are made to be, if it were all of those things it would be more expensive and have a better brand label on it. They have decent power and decent speed. The battery in the Chimera EP is a total PIA to get at. I feel like putting batteries in the thing was an afterthought. If you want something that is "bigger and brushless" then you should get a Yeti XL. I have one sitting at my desk right now that we got to see about putting 1/5 beadlocks on (specifically our 6061 billet aluminum beadlock wheels):

Comparison with Pro-Line 1/5 Trenchers to the stock Yeti XL tires. They are not much taller, a little wider, but quite heavier because of the molded foam, bigger wheel, and beadlock design

I haven't driven it yet because I need to get some new LiPo's that are the same capacity/age. It needs a rear sway bar for sure. While you can run 6S I don't ever see myself running beyond the 4S. When you get too powerful things become uncontrollable and you just spend more time fixing broken crap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, pretty much what I thought and that XL does look like the bees knees. That's the way I'm leaning for sure right now.

I've got another major hobby purchase due within the next month, so I might end up slowing down and holding off for a bit either way.

Everything I've read on that XL does make it look great though. Any downsides other than $ of admission and needing a swaybar?

powderific posted:

If you're that into the Yeti XL maybe you should hold off on buying a touring car and look for something more offroad? Or you could buy ColonelJohnMatrix's non-XL roller and plop some electronics in. Still going to be more expensive than the Tamiya, but last time I tried to save money by getting a cheap Tamiya kit I wound up spending more than the kit price over again in upgrades.
That's what I meant by saving the $$$, putting it towards an XL if I go that route. I'll probably hold off buying a road car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Again, having yet to burn some batteries through it I can only speculate. The motor/ESC seem to be up to the job. The stock tires are very nice and sticky. I would say that it is likely the stock servo will need replacing with something that needs a little more grunt. The stock radio will get the job done fine but if you want something with a more quality feeling then you will be looking to upgrade that (not a requirement at all). I suspect the servo can get the job done somewhat, but a stronger unit will make the car drive much better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PaintVagrant posted:

I think TT01 has a plastic driveshaft right? I would upgrade that before I run a hotter battery or any motor faster than the silvercan it comes with. Also some plastic tub style tamiya cars have molded tubs specifically designed to hold a nimh stick pack, and dont necessarily accommodate the more square plastic cased lipos. Im sure you could fix it with a dremel or something though.
You can get rounded edge Lipo packs, as Tamiya Minis (M0x series) can only take that shape of pack.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I haven't driven it yet but from talking to two guys who did a review of it (and a buddy who owns one) the stock servo in the Yeti XL is definitely weak for the job. They skimped there. The other downside is that it takes a lot of juice to make it go. I know when I had a Traxxas Summit it was pretty obnoxious always needing two batteries. Again though, if you don't mind using two batteries then you are probably in the clear.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
So I'm asking this more out of idle curiosity than anything else, how do the MST RTR cars stack up?

http://www.rc-mst.com/BOM/21.html?l1=2&l2=1

They appear to be belt driven, not shaft driven. Beyond that, I know nothing else about them. The wheels available from MST aren't bad either, if they fit a Tamiya I'd be interested in one or two sets.

Only reason I ask is that it's been suggested I look at them (the E30 linked above, its shell is the one I've been given a line on, at as it is apparently a Tamiya shell pre-painted etc.) , however at ~$180-200 more than a Tamiya kit, I'm not likely to consider it any time soon as I'm not really looking to get into any competition or the like with my car - more for just playing with it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Oh my gosh the MST drift cars are completely awesome. Especially their full done up carbon/alum platforms. Please get one of those. Most of their cars I have looked at were shaft driven and usually sport and underdrive/overdrive setup for max control while drifting.

Go to driftmission.com for a great RC drift-centric website. Great photos, videos, and articles.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh my gosh the MST drift cars are completely awesome. Especially their full done up carbon/alum platforms. Please get one of those. Most of their cars I have looked at were shaft driven and usually sport and underdrive/overdrive setup for max control while drifting.

Go to driftmission.com for a great RC drift-centric website. Great photos, videos, and articles.

Yeah, the MS-01D is the one I'm looking at, if only for availability within Australia and even that's not cheap. Its creeping close to $400 + shipping (RTR), where a quick google seems to indicate I can probably the TT-01ED for $170ish + shipping (kit though, not RTR). The MS-01D is definitely belt driven, but if I want to get the carbon/aluminium based chassis, that appears to be the MS-01D PRO ($550+) or VIP ($850+).

At this point, it doesnt make sense for me to jump right in the deep end and buy a higher end vehicle that far exceeds my skill level - I figure I'll be fine with the TT-01ED for a while, and when I exceed it then I can upgrade. From the advice in this thread, sounds like I need to get the TT01 + driveshaft + LiPo batteries - that puts it in sub $450 territory without me hunting for bargains, so I'd rather go down that path.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Figured I'd throw this pic in because I'm a massive dork who loves bikes and RC cars, and ended up with a great paint scheme based off my favorite helmet :v:. AI at its finest.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KingPave posted:

At this point, it doesnt make sense for me to jump right in the deep end and buy a higher end vehicle that far exceeds my skill level - I figure I'll be fine with the TT-01ED for a while, and when I exceed it then I can upgrade. From the advice in this thread, sounds like I need to get the TT01 + driveshaft + LiPo batteries - that puts it in sub $450 territory without me hunting for bargains, so I'd rather go down that path.

If shipping wasn't so stupid between Canada and Aus, I'd pick up that RTR TT-01 I was eyeing up here and send it to you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What' are the thoughts of the Associated RC8.2e as an RTR?

I know it's not as big as that gorgeous Yeti but it's quite a bit cheaper and seems to be decently made from what I've seen online.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason you're not considering the regular sized yeti? It's cheaper than that associated and actually a similar size.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't ruled out a Yeti but I'm still in the research phase :)

Regarding prices though, The best price I can get a RTR Yeti for $500 CDN.

Amazon.ca sometimes has that Associated for $470 according to camelcamel, although right now it's $524. However, I also was given an amazon.ca giftcard for Xmas for $100 which brings down pricing even that much more. If I could time it right, I might be able to pick up that associated for $370. Maybe. Worst case, $425.

I am not in a rush though so as long as the price doesn't go up I don't mind waiting a bit... although the the CDN$$ taking a dump lately so that's certainly not ruled out :(

I have been looking for used too, but my small city doesn't have much listed other than one of those Snow-Cats and an SCX10 which doesn't appeal to me all that much.

I could go to Calgary but by the time I pay for gas and wear/tear on my vehicle and the pain of dealing with craigs/kijiji people, I might as well buy new.

But to answer your question, the Yeti does look nice and I certainly haven't ruled it out... although the bigger scale sort of floats my boat a bit.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotcha, hadn't considered Canadian prices. I mostly wanted to make sure you knew that the non-XL yeti is still pretty big—even though it's listed as 1/10 scale it's dimensionally similar (actually a bit larger now that I've check) to the 1/8th scale associated. The 1/8th scale vehicle is possibly beefier though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Does anyone have some decent sites/forums recommended to start reading up on this stuff? I used to love RC cars as a kid, and the father-in-law's infatuation with RC aircraft got the itch going again. I'd rather play with trucks than fly a plane (maybe a quad-copter at some point), but it seems like there's a lot of poo poo and not much gold.

Also, and a weird question, does anybody bash trucks with a plane transmitter? The FIL had an extra Spektrum DX5e that he gave to me, but I'm not sure if its really useable with a car, or just aircraft. Either way, I might end up using it, but if I can make it work for bashing a truck around, excellent.

Also, yes, being Canadian for this sucks. Lots of stuff is way pricier up here, but I'm too far away from the US border to do any border-service-shipping-shenanigans heh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Regard Canadian pricing with the rtr at least, some of the prices are actually quite a bit cheaper once you consider converting from US so importing isn't attractive.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

slidebite posted:

If shipping wasn't so stupid between Canada and Aus, I'd pick up that RTR TT-01 I was eyeing up here and send it to you.

Its not as bad as I posted tbh, it appears I can get the 240z kit for $170ish, but I'll need to get a ton of accessories (batteries, charger, probably a left handed controller if I cant make the right handed one work for me plus some other stuff) and probably a spare body when I gently caress up painting the original body in the first place :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Damnit, i've started browsing the local Craigslist looking for used trucks to bash around. Found an Electrix Circuit stadium truck that comes with an 1800mAh battery, a 5100mAh, plus charger and transmitter, all for $100. That is really tempting.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

I haven't ruled out a Yeti but I'm still in the research phase :)

Regarding prices though, The best price I can get a RTR Yeti for $500 CDN.

Amazon.ca sometimes has that Associated for $470 according to camelcamel, although right now it's $524. However, I also was given an amazon.ca giftcard for Xmas for $100 which brings down pricing even that much more. If I could time it right, I might be able to pick up that associated for $370. Maybe. Worst case, $425.

I am not in a rush though so as long as the price doesn't go up I don't mind waiting a bit... although the the CDN$$ taking a dump lately so that's certainly not ruled out :(

I have been looking for used too, but my small city doesn't have much listed other than one of those Snow-Cats and an SCX10 which doesn't appeal to me all that much.

I could go to Calgary but by the time I pay for gas and wear/tear on my vehicle and the pain of dealing with craigs/kijiji people, I might as well buy new.

But to answer your question, the Yeti does look nice and I certainly haven't ruled it out... although the bigger scale sort of floats my boat a bit.

By any chance are you close to Fort Mac? just moved there myself. I have a yeti I only just took out of the box, would love to sell it.

Before the move back, I almost lost this in the mail. 3 days in 50C weather and also with the help of a friend to translate to Arabic, I claimed whats mine.

Like gently caress I was gonna let it go. :black101:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

About as far away as I can be but still be in Alberta, Lethbridge.

I am leaning towards the XL or the 1/8 Associated, but who knows. PM me if you want with what you'd like out of it if you're willing to ship.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

slidebite posted:

I am leaning towards the XL or the 1/8 Associated, but who knows. PM me if you want with what you'd like out of it if you're willing to ship.

Short word of caution, but as with most RTRs the electronics in the RTR rc8 are marginal at best, unsafe at worst. Couple years back we had a brand new one at the track with a new battery - esc shorted out and the whole works caught on fire.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, the dude with the Craigslist posting for the Electrix Circuit just updated it today, seems to still have it. I'm thinking about maybe picking it up, is there anything in particular I should know about Electrix stuff? Also, how hard is it to make a truck body not specifically made for it work? I'm thinking about dropping $100 on it since it's only about a year old and comes with 2 batteries + charger + transmitter, then somewhere down the line snagging one of Pro-Line's bodies and maybe some new wheels.

What i'm saying is, talk me out of it guys, $100 for a working electric 2wd stadium truck is really hard to pass up and I've drat near talked myself into buying it when I get paid this week :v:

Scratch all that, just noticed Tower Hobbies has a $20 off discount code for orders over $149. Gonna just save up and snag an ARRMA Raider buggy next week :allears:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 13, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat Amazon, I was literally about to buy some lipo batteries (put them in my cart last night) and this AM noticed the jumped the price by something like 50% :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I got a good deal on a couple new 3S 40C lipo 5000mHA batteries and a 5 amp lipo/nimh charger so I picked those up already, just deciding on the vehicle.

I have been scouring craigs/kijiji for a suitable used RC for the past while, and nothing has come up without needing to drive 3 hours, so I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just ordering a new Yeti XL.

Any last advice before I buy it? I really dig the look of the 1/8 Yeti and the reviews I've read all seem to be quite positive.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

slidebite posted:

I got a good deal on a couple new 3S 40C lipo 5000mHA batteries and a 5 amp lipo/nimh charger so I picked those up already, just deciding on the vehicle.

I have been scouring craigs/kijiji for a suitable used RC for the past while, and nothing has come up without needing to drive 3 hours, so I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just ordering a new Yeti XL.

Any last advice before I buy it? I really dig the look of the 1/8 Yeti and the reviews I've read all seem to be quite positive.

Buy it!

I've got a local hobby shop hunting for the 240Z kit for me, which they've priced at the same as what I could get it from the US if they find it. I'm not in such a massive hurry (would like it before end of Feb, basically) so I can afford the wait.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KingPave posted:

Buy it!

I've got a local hobby shop hunting for the 240Z kit for me, which they've priced at the same as what I could get it from the US if they find it. I'm not in such a massive hurry (would like it before end of Feb, basically) so I can afford the wait.
If you know anyone in or visiting Japan, you could ask them to look for one. I got mine for under AU$100.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 20, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

God drat Amazon, I was literally about to buy some lipo batteries (put them in my cart last night) and this AM noticed the jumped the price by something like 50% :argh:
If you want cheap good batteries, go to Hobby King. It is amazing how cheap some of their gear is.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Welp, went ahead and ordered the ARRMA Raider 2WD buggy. Ended up being $145 after shipping and promo discounts, which is not bad at all for a RTR buggy with everything included but AA's for the transmitter. Now I just have to wait a few days for it to arrive. That's always the hardest part :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Whelp, just hit the buy now button for the Yeti XL. All the other :canada: online stores upped their prices presumably due to our tanking petro-dollar, but still found a place that had them for the old price.

You Am I posted:

If you want cheap good batteries, go to Hobby King. It is amazing how cheap some of their gear is.

Wow, you aren't kidding. Might buy a couple of 2S batteries just because of their price. Thanks for the heads up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh, look at the nice big parcel I got today

:getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That's always the best feeling. Speaking of...

Well hello there, I wasn't expecting you until tomorrow. As soon as it's all charged up, I plan on thrashing it and taking some proper photos of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

New car bros :hfive:

Sadly, I probably won't be able to take mine out of the box let alone play with it until Sunday.

:(

It's going to kill me. My awesome little neighbor kid that got a 2WD Traxxas for Christmas and plays with it most days is going to poo poo his pants when this thing comes screaming out of my garage :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Aww yeah :hfive:

I'm still waiting on mine to charge, according to the manual it takes about 3 hours to charge the stock NiMH pack on the charger that comes with it. I'm already looking at picking up a Duratrax fast charge system when I get paid next week. I may have a problem :v:

Waiting is always the hardest part, isn't it?