Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

elf help book posted:

I played a level in Captain Toad like 3 times last night trying to find a golden mushroom for a challenge and I couldn't find it. gently caress

Which stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The small level in chapter 1 thats mostly underwater and has a little bridge you can walk over that drops down so you can pick up a diamond.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

The Mario Kart 8 free game was the best. Got New Super Mario Bros. U for free when I bought Mario Kart 8, and then I went to SA Mart to buy a code for Wind Waker HD for $20 and Pikmin 3 code for $18. With the DD promotion, all three of those games gave me $5 codes, and I used that money to get Shovel Knight for free.

Yeah, I got Pikmin for my free game with MK8 and saw that Wind Waker was on sale for like $35 so I picked that up too at the same time, ended with a backlog I still haven't cleared out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Spuzzz posted:

I feel the exact opposite. I've bought the WiiU twice now (had to try Mario Cart) and I am just not feeling it. I've already played my PS4 more. I don't see anything coming out this year that makes me want to keep it. I think part of the problem is I have come to realize I don't like 3D platformers/exploration. I didn't like 3D Land and even back in the day I never really liked Mario 64 or Sunshine. I've barely touched Skyward Sword or Windwaker HD but I loved Link Between Worlds. Maybe I'll wait a little longer for Xenoblade X but I burned out on the first one before I could beat it.

Different strokes for different blokes. Platformers are among my favorite genres and I'm just not big into FPS games.

I thought 3D World was really great (surprisingly so, I wasn't very excited for it) although New Super Mario Bros. U was pretty bland and not so amazing. I'm not a very big RPG person so I'm not even sure if I'll get Xenoblade X. I generally get very bored playing extremely long story-driven games. I think the only RPGs I managed to beat in the 360\PS3 Generation were the Mass Effect games and Pokemon Y. And I didn't catch all the Pokemon, either.

My roommate wants me to get Hyrule Warriors but it's a Dynasty Warriors game so I can almost guarantee I will get bored playing that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

elf help book posted:

I don't care.

This is correct, but for the whole last couple pages.

Do we have a release date for Bone Bowser Kart yet?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've owned a PS4 since July, largely because its way cheaper for me to buy a console before I move to Europe. And the only thing I really boot it up for is Towerfall - an indie multiplayer game that plays like somebody spliced Bushido Blade into a Nintendo title.

It is so, so good. But its also a bit sad that I've gotten more use out of it than the entire rest of the library.

Oh man, that looks like a blast!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Polo-Rican posted:

Started playing Pikmin 3 - never played a Pikmin game before. Had no idea this game ruled so much? I can't think of another game that makes you "feel" your mistakes as much - watching 30 pikmin getting smashed at once or going through a day without finding fruit when you're low on juice give you a real punch that most other games don't, and I'm not sure why.

I kept hearing this game described as Just A Lite RTS, but what makes it unique are the survival elements - how each day builds off the last, and you can literally just starve to death and lose if you don't gather food.
For me, what makes Pikmin 3 so great is its genre mix and tight level design. It's got the general flow and some of the level design of an RTS, a mix of the action and controls of both TPS and top-down shooter, some light puzzle-solving, and a dash of platforming. It's an exquisite blend, but it makes the game a rather niche title.

I actually think it's interesting that what you're saying you enjoy about Pikmin 3 sorta' boils down to you not already being familiar with Pikmin. It's a lot like those of us who played the first Pikmin back when it came out - everything felt so high-stakes, you only had 30 days. I couldn't even beat the game when I was a kid, but when I finally came back to it only a few months ago, I found it to be the easiest game in the series.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Fremry posted:

The Mario Kart 8 free game was the best. Got New Super Mario Bros. U for free when I bought Mario Kart 8, and then I went to SA Mart to buy a code for Wind Waker HD for $20 and Pikmin 3 code for $18. With the DD promotion, all three of those games gave me $5 codes, and I used that money to get Shovel Knight for free.

It really was. In the end it's what pushed me to get a Wii U.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fremry posted:

Plus the 200+ Club Nintendo coins you just earned on all 4 games that was enough to get you another VC title.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When I got my Wii U this summer I bought all my games at target and abused Amazon price matching along with the $15 discount for getting a preorder card with a game, to take $25 each off of 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin, and Mario Kart (with a free game). It was Good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gammatron 64 posted:

Different strokes for different blokes. Platformers are among my favorite genres and I'm just not big into FPS games.

I thought 3D World was really great (surprisingly so, I wasn't very excited for it) although New Super Mario Bros. U was pretty bland and not so amazing. I'm not a very big RPG person so I'm not even sure if I'll get Xenoblade X. I generally get very bored playing extremely long story-driven games. I think the only RPGs I managed to beat in the 360\PS3 Generation were the Mass Effect games and Pokemon Y. And I didn't catch all the Pokemon, either.

My roommate wants me to get Hyrule Warriors but it's a Dynasty Warriors game so I can almost guarantee I will get bored playing that.

I played a couple of the PS2 Dynasty Warriors games and never got into them, but something about Hyrule Warriors hooked me in a big way. I guess it must be the Zelda universe integration, or maybe Adventure Mode (might as well be called Mission Mode.) There's a demo that lets you play the first level on Wii U kiosks; go give it a shot. I think I was on the fence until I tried that level, and then I was sold. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy that level, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game, because it really doesn't change much beyond that (outside of the nuances of each character having a different play style.)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ultigonio posted:

For me, what makes Pikmin 3 so great is its genre mix and tight level design. It's got the general flow and some of the level design of an RTS, a mix of the action and controls of both TPS and top-down shooter, some light puzzle-solving, and a dash of platforming. It's an exquisite blend, but it makes the game a rather niche title.

I actually think it's interesting that what you're saying you enjoy about Pikmin 3 sorta' boils down to you not already being familiar with Pikmin. It's a lot like those of us who played the first Pikmin back when it came out - everything felt so high-stakes, you only had 30 days. I couldn't even beat the game when I was a kid, but when I finally came back to it only a few months ago, I found it to be the easiest game in the series.

I like how the game has both the day long timer and the timer of edible fruit. It's actually very hard to run out of fruit, but it's very easy to get caught up in what you are doing and get stressed at the daytime timer. You have this feeling of running out of time, with a completely different timer shown ticking down right afterwards. You end up kinda conflating the two and fruit feels way more important than it actually is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ultigonio posted:

Really? Pikmin 2 doesn't even really have a fail condition like 1 does.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Astro7x posted:

But... at most all you saved by waiting two years is $50 on the price drop. Nintendo published games tend to be full price forever. You also would have missed out on the DDP promotion to get 5% back on eShop purchases.

There's $50 on the price drop, and you also get SM3DW as a pack-in which still goes for $50-$60, plus for a month or so, probably still now if you look hard enough, the price was as low as $250 which was another $50.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

elf help book posted:

The small level in chapter 1 thats mostly underwater and has a little bridge you can walk over that drops down so you can pick up a diamond.

The only one I can think of that fits that description is Briny Bowl Swimming Hole.

Yeah, that one's a bit tricky.

A hint: The mushroom is hidden underwater, though you'll need to go above ground at least once to find it.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

I don't like how the gold mushroom is hidden in that level or others like it. Its very difficult to see.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fremry posted:

I want $20 windwaker codes and also Pikmin

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Famous TV Dad posted:

I don't like how the gold mushroom is hidden in that level or others like it. Its very difficult to see.

This bothered me at first and then I realized the gamepad rumbles when you are standing on top of it. That was much easier to recognize than the visual cue.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

enojy posted:

I played a couple of the PS2 Dynasty Warriors games and never got into them, but something about Hyrule Warriors hooked me in a big way. I guess it must be the Zelda universe integration, or maybe Adventure Mode (might as well be called Mission Mode.) There's a demo that lets you play the first level on Wii U kiosks; go give it a shot. I think I was on the fence until I tried that level, and then I was sold. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy that level, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game, because it really doesn't change much beyond that (outside of the nuances of each character having a different play style.)

I did sink like 30 hours into Dynasty Warriors Gundam but that was because it had Gundams in it. :awesomelon: Afterwards I was like "oh God, I just sunk 30 hours into a Dynasty Warriors game, what am I doing with my life" and stopped.

I might pick up Wind Waker HD because while I got close to the end, I never did beat it. I lent my copy out to someone years ago and the shitfucker never gave it back. :argh:

Surlaw posted:

This is correct, but for the whole last couple pages.

Do we have a release date for Bone Bowser Kart yet?

I think like March?

Do we know if they're going to do any more DLC for MK8? Because they really, really should. The game needs Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, Boo and Birdo something fierce.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think like March?

Do we know if they're going to do any more DLC for MK8? Because they really, really should. The game needs Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, Boo and Birdo something fierce.

They haven't announced anything so... what's this? A Nintendo Direct right now? Reggie is announcing something about Mario Kart 8! He says Bowser Jr sucks!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Reggie read this and because you sickeningly left out Petey Piranha all new DLC has been deleted.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I just want a Kirby DLC pack.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

They haven't announced anything so... what's this? A Nintendo Direct right now? Reggie is announcing something about Mario Kart 8! He says Bowser Jr sucks!

don't talk that way about bowser's son

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Quick question for your cute gamers. I recently got a Wii U and set up parental controls for my 9 year old. Basically, I didn't want him to have any access to online stuff because even though most of you guys are cute gamers, I know well the cesspool of 'gamers'. I have a separate id for him and myself, so he can play his games and I can login and play stuff online if I want.

My question is this, is there a way to separate the progress made in each game? For example, if he sees that I've made it to world 8 in new mario wii u, he will just stop playing his saved game and start playing mine(and then complain when he can't beat it).

Similarly, I want him to try and unlock everything in MK8 or SSB, etc. Instead, I play my account at night and unlock a bunch of stuff and then he comes running in the next morning and says, "Guess what Dad, I started up MK8 and all the cups are unlocked!"

Is this possible at all? I'd love for him to just not even see what progress I've made on games(unless I show him or am playing coop with him).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DoctaFun posted:

Quick question for your cute gamers. I recently got a Wii U and set up parental controls for my 9 year old. Basically, I didn't want him to have any access to online stuff because even though most of you guys are cute gamers, I know well the cesspool of 'gamers'. I have a separate id for him and myself, so he can play his games and I can login and play stuff online if I want.

My question is this, is there a way to separate the progress made in each game? For example, if he sees that I've made it to world 8 in new mario wii u, he will just stop playing his saved game and start playing mine(and then complain when he can't beat it).

Each profile on the console has entirely separate save data so he won't see your progress unless he signs in as your mii.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

Each profile on the console has entirely separate save data so he won't see your progress unless he signs in as your mii.

It sounds like he already has multiple profiles set up though, since games like MK8 don't have multiple save files.

Unfortunately if that means your son is deliberately using your profile there isn't anything you can do. You can't lock them off and if he knows how to switch between them you can't stop him. I suggest just encouraging him to use his own dang profile. It's something anyone with a younger sibling is familiar with. Mine managed to delete my Paper Mario save once which was annoying.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Actually, the WiiU does have the concept of shared save data. It's up to each game to decide which parts of the save data are shared across all profiles and which are just for the logged in profile.

I'm not sure what Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 do with their saves exactly, but that could also be an explanation.

If you want to make sure someone else can't access your save files, move them to an USB stick and unplug that from the console while you're not using it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mr E posted:

At this point no one that I know is getting a PS4 or Xbone for the future because there's just not many new games out for either one, besides Destiny and soon Bloodborne, which doesn't justify 400 bucks for most people. I can't see me ever buying a Xbone, and a PS4 will be at least a year. On the other hand, I got a Wii U at the perfect time and have a ton of games to play.

I bought a PS4 last summer for the indie games and the 'future' so to speak. It is also an excellent streaming video box for Netflix, Blu-Ray, and Amazon content. I've been playing a lot of the PS+ titles, but mostly just been playing Diablo III RoS on it. For my money, it is the BEST Diablo experience (I own D3 and RoS on PC too) and that is something you can't get on the PS3/360. I am not a console shooter fan, and I wanted to play some really good platformers, so I broke down and got a Wii U this weekend. I am super happy with SM3DW so far, and I am really looking forward to WindWaker because I loved it on the GC.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are the new super mario + luigi packages a disk + dlc code or two disks? just wondering if i should avoid buying it used

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Awesome! posted:

are the new super mario + luigi packages a disk + dlc code or two disks? just wondering if i should avoid buying it used

It's a single disc with both games on it and also extra superplay videos. Absolutely buy it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

raditts posted:

There's $50 on the price drop, and you also get SM3DW as a pack-in which still goes for $50-$60, plus for a month or so, probably still now if you look hard enough, the price was as low as $250 which was another $50.

But you also missed out on the free game that came with MK8, the Smash Sale, 30 cent VC titles that gave us 7 games for $2, DDP promotion credit, free Game & Wario from Club Nintendo, The 1 month trial of Wii Fit U, several free trials of Wii Sport Club, and two years of fun for like... $50 tops.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Astro7x posted:

But you also missed out on the free game that came with MK8, the Smash Sale, 30 cent VC titles that gave us 7 games for $2, DDP promotion credit, free Game & Wario from Club Nintendo, The 1 month trial of Wii Fit U, several free trials of Wii Sport Club, and two years of fun for like... $50 tops.

Chiming in as an early adopter of the original Wii, I felt really let down by the fact that MKWii, Smash Brawl, Twilight Princess, and a lot of the other core Nintendo franchises on the system just weren't that good. Not to mention the fact that the system didn't even have a loving Mario platformer until two years into its lifespan. I wanted to make sure that Nintendo wouldn't make the same mistakes this time around, and - thank god - they didn't.

In retrospect, I wish I wouldn't have missed all of those awesome sales and deals, but I'm sure the future will bring more of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought Galaxy came out about a year after release.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Actually, the WiiU does have the concept of shared save data. It's up to each game to decide which parts of the save data are shared across all profiles and which are just for the logged in profile.

I'm not sure what Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 do with their saves exactly, but that could also be an explanation.

If you want to make sure someone else can't access your save files, move them to an USB stick and unplug that from the console while you're not using it.

I have everything unlocked on my profile in MK8 and so I used another profile and checked and none of the cups or content were unlocked (except the dlc tracks since those don't have to be unlocked through gameplay).

However, I did look and it seems that NSMB U doesn't have separate data per profile. It must be a case-by-case basis sort of thing. In that case the USB stick idea will be necessary with some games (including NSMB U).

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

greatn posted:

I thought Galaxy came out about a year after release.

You're right; I must have misremembered. Still, for that one year you basically had Twilight Princess (which was also on the GameCube for some reason) and like nothing else from Nintendo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's basically the launch window of like any system. You'll typically get one big title, some other padding and then nothing for a little bit while everyone figures out how to develop for the new system.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

You're right; I must have misremembered. Still, for that one year you basically had Twilight Princess (which was also on the GameCube for some reason) and like nothing else from Nintendo.

It was on the Gamecube because it was originally developed for the Gamecube. The Wii version was just the Gamecube version with motion controls poorly added and the game mirrored so Link was right-handed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Killer app Wii Sports. That game was just amazing for parties when the Wii came out, especially bowling. I had more fun with Wii Sports than launch titles for most systems.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I got a Wii in my dorm in college at launch, and people were showing up to play Wii Sports like that whole year. Not much came out for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Astro7x posted:

This seems like kind of a dumb argument to have in general and I'm no math wiz, but even if you don't count the value of SM3DW, getting the set for $250 when the original price was $350 makes it like... $100 at least. Plus I got most of the good games for at least 40-50% off across all the Black Friday / holiday sales and I don't feel like I really missed out on much, savings-wise.

• Locked thread