Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

did we ever figure out what movie that was from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's some crappy 80s movie, i'll look it up

VV it isn't that, i would remember.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I liked the gods must be crazy, both one and two!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

...a fable...unrealistic?? the situation...contrived???

jfc you people are dense. i'll freely accept that it's a racist framework but do you really act like this in daily life

made all the more racist by calling it a "fable" wow

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

there is literally nothing offensive about that story aside from the noble-savage angle, and if that really gets you like this, you bunch are wound up too tight.

i was just having a little fun :shobon:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

aesop's classic characters, the fox, the stork, the African

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the russians just used a pencil (to shitpost)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

made all the more racist by calling it a "fable" wow

i feel sorry that this hurts you so bad. i mean if my use of "African" sets you off like this, i can only imagine what happens when you experience actual human society

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

no, this is my hill and i'm dying on it

we all wish you wouldn't

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now tell me i wear a fedora and smoke an ecig. do it

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

:shrek:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I like how people making fun of your dumb story has you contorting every which way to call them crazy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hm i wonder what's going on in the michael bubel thr

:yikes:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

no, this is my hill and i'm dying on it

oh how we all wish this would happen

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

haha i'm just joshin' ya bud, keep on making great posts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elder Postsman posted:

haha i'm just joshin' ya bud, keep on making great posts

you can't stop what doesn't start

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
if you want to know about how traditional societies (i.e. small groups without a strong central gov't) actually handle justice and poo poo you should read The World Until Yesterday (by jared diamond of guns germs and steel fame)

often it involves either
a. revenge killings, leading to a nasty cycle of violence, or
b. immediate, frantic negotiation between families or groups to make recompense. the recompense may be material or personal depending on the size of the group and the manner of the crime--smaller groups can less afford to exile or execute, more vicious crimes are harder to pay for with livestock or tools or whatever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thesoro posted:

if you want to know about how traditional societies (i.e. small groups without a strong central gov't) actually handle justice and poo poo you should read The World Until Yesterday (by jared diamond of guns germs and steel fame)

often it involves either
b. immediate, frantic negotiation between families or groups to make recompense. the recompense may be material or personal depending on the size of the group and the manner of the crime--smaller groups can less afford to exile or execute, more vicious crimes are harder to pay for with livestock or tools or whatever.

a lot of people are really mad at jared diamond

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thesoro posted:

often it involves either

:cheers: this sounds interesting

prefect posted:

a lot of people are really mad at jared diamond

this too though. why is that? i haven't read any of his book

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

um it's "forgiveness is more productive than revenge" and it's kind of right on the tin so I'm not sure how you missed that

beep boop the moral of the story is that emotions such as "revenge" negatively impact our society's total productivity and decrease our efficiency at being optimally exploited by white people

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Captain Foo posted:

you can't stop what doesn't start

yeah that was the joke

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

this too though. why is that? i haven't read any of his book

i can't speak for everybody, but i know some people thought "guns, germs, and steel" was explaining why white people were better than everybody else, and that's why they got to be in charge, like it was an advocacy position

also, he's a pop historian, and hardcore historians don't like that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

beep boop the moral of the story is that emotions such as "revenge" negatively impact our society's total productivity and decrease our efficiency at being optimally exploited by white people

youse guys really work hard at inserting new ways to be offended into a story that sits about at the level of controversy that would allow it to be published in a reader's digest

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

prefect posted:

i can't speak for everybody, but i know some people thought "guns, germs, and steel" was explaining why white people were better than everybody else, and that's why they got to be in charge, like it was an advocacy position

afaik anthropologists aren't huge fans of the book (world until tomorrow) because it doesn't go into all that much depth and doesn't include native voices (both very true) but i liked it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

prefect posted:

which is funny because he spends the entire first chapter repeating over and over again that that's exactly NOT what he's saying

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

youse guys really work hard at inserting new ways to be offended into a story that sits about at the level of controversy that would allow it to be published in a reader's digest

the white peoplest of white people magazines

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

ur the guy whos defending the kind of glurge that might appear next to life in these united states

idk maybe if i saw it in cross-stitch

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

computer parts posted:

the russians just used a pencil (to shitpost)

Did you hear about the constipated mathematician? He had to work the problem out with a pencil.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

some reddit turd posted a story about how he carries around an ashtray (i guess one of those cup ones) on his motorcycle and when he sees somebody throw a cigarette out their window he catches them at a red light and dumps the ashtray in their car

i'm sure it's complete reddit justice fantasy bullshit, but i still tell the story when it's appropriate because of the nice message
it's a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo3cVuvVRUE

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

good. people appreciate meaningful stories with life lessons in them, even if they aren't literally true. it's why aesop is famous after all.

im having a hard time picking out what part of this ridiculous tower you've built around defending this structure of narrative couldn't be used to justify the torture narrative out of zero dark thirty

"oh of COURSE it didn't happen but we all KNOW torture works so its totally ok to put it in a movie and jack off to the movie"

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

I'm the broken sound card

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh were you also a kid whose parents both smoked in the car with the windows up (or maybe ineffectually cracked open)?

neither of my parents smoked

and no relatives or assorted authority figures smoked around me v0v

when i picked up the habit i made it a rule not to smoke in the presence of kids because i'd heard of the asthma risks and whatnot

there was a woman with the user name of wren here who never smoked herself, her mom did though

she doesn't post anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my parents each smoked one cigarette a day for 20 years. what the gently caress

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

prescription cigarettes

for the digestion

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
salem lights, too.

you know the older i get and the more reflective i am on it, the more convinced that i'm good fruit from a rotten tree

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i smoked same amount in two years
:negative:

e:

syscall girl posted:

prescription cigarettes

for the digestion
that's a thing?
imo, i've found cigarettes to be beneficial for pooping and for eating less, but digestion sounds interesting

e2:

syscall girl posted:

when i picked up the habit i made it a rule not to smoke in the presence of kids because i'd heard of the asthma risks and whatnot
you are a good person

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 12, 2015

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

salem lights, too.

you know the older i get and the more reflective i am on it, the more convinced that i'm good fruit from a rotten tree

Human beings are complex creatures and it's quite possible to be a reprehensible person and a good person at the same time.

My father was an interesting individual in a lot of ways, but good god was he a creepy misogynist.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
lol if you smoke

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
smoke if you lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I smoked for sixteen years.