Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

UraniumAnchor posted:

Well at about 4:30pm I told Matty to call me if he wanted me to help with teardown, and went to go take a "nap"... but now it's 3am and I'm just now waking up, so he must not have needed my help. :v:

Most of the missing PayPal donations have been reprocessed and the total is currently... :siren: $1,538,935.24 :siren: but there's still a handful more that are pending. Plus a couple that are causing some errors in other, less nasty ways.

Thanks again to everybody who watched, donated, spread the word, etc. These events are always amazing and I look forward to doing it all again in 6 months for SGDQ. Currently slated for "the last week of July" when I asked romscout about it earlier.

Thanks to you guys also. It was an amazing week.

And when you get a chance, it would be interesting to hear what caused the tracker bug. Why did it discriminate between those who donated before and those who didn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Rage McDougal posted:

I think it worked pretty well in the Dark Souls 2 run where there were separate guys playing and narrating. Of course, that does rely on having someone other than the runner knowing what they're doing inside-out.

Also, speaking of AdamAK, was the Vice City run much different to the last SGDQ one? I really enjoyed that one, but it's kind of a long one to watch if not too much has changed.

Vice city has changed a ton in the last few months. The replay bug has brought the time down to lower than gta3

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rage McDougal posted:

I think it worked pretty well in the Dark Souls 2 run where there were separate guys playing and narrating. Of course, that does rely on having someone other than the runner knowing what they're doing inside-out.

Also, speaking of AdamAK, was the Vice City run much different to the last SGDQ one? I really enjoyed that one, but it's kind of a long one to watch if not too much has changed.

Someone made a good point about this with regard to the Super Metroid race that it really benefits the stream to have the commentators be in a different room so that they can speak loudly and without fear of startling/distracting a runner.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So, were the commentators on this year's Ninja Gaiden relay race the same as the commentators on last year's Super Metroid race? Either way, get those folks back, they've got the needed qualities.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Someone made a good point about this with regard to the Super Metroid race that it really benefits the stream to have the commentators be in a different room so that they can speak loudly and without fear of startling/distracting a runner.

This seems like one of those ideas that's well intentioned but detracts from the overall experience, like split couchbox / audience was this year.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

qntm posted:

So, were the commentators on this year's Ninja Gaiden relay race the same as the commentators on last year's Super Metroid race? Either way, get those folks back, they've got the needed qualities.

sinister1 commentated on both, but was joined by go1den last year for the Super Metroid race and Duckfist this year for the Ninja Gaiden relay race.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

JerikTelorian posted:

It really depends on the run. For Ninja Gaiden, Super Metroid, etc it can work, especially during races but having the runner commentate I normally prefer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rage McDougal posted:

His AGDQ 2015 run was just 1:04, his SGDQ 2014 run was a full 1:56.

It's a huge difference.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Tracula posted:

It really depends on the run. For Ninja Gaiden, Super Metroid, etc it can work, especially during races but having the runner commentate I normally prefer.

Should have been more clear, the commentary is more useful for races like that I agree. When watching solo stuff runners commentary is more interesting for sure (as well as couch stuff).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Catching up to the bonus stream, the end to that shmup run was adorable, even if the guy knocked the Xbox out of its socket. He's just so genuinely happy.
...Who was that anyway? Seemed like they were doing their first good run.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Had an idea for something that would be interesting to me, not sure about anyone else.

During the Yoshi's Island race they were talking about how much the run has changed over the years, so I think it would be cool to show the evolution of the run with a race. Screen one is the modern run with screen two being someone doing the tech from at least a year ago. This would be doable with other games as well and I think it's a neat concept, though it would need good commentary by someone like CarlSagan.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Informed commentators on races make the race 100% better. Informed couch/commentators make any run where the runner is busy with difficult stuff better.

Totally realize it's not possible to always have them around, but if they can be set up, they're just as valuable as the runner in terms of making the run interesting.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cuatal posted:

Had an idea for something that would be interesting to me, not sure about anyone else.

During the Yoshi's Island race they were talking about how much the run has changed over the years, so I think it would be cool to show the evolution of the run with a race. Screen one is the modern run with screen two being someone doing the tech from at least a year ago. This would be doable with other games as well and I think it's a neat concept, though it would need good commentary by someone like CarlSagan.
Interesting idea, but I think it would get too out of sync to serve its purpose. I could see something like this better done as a exhibition. "This is the way we used to do it, and this is how we do it now."

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Interesting idea, but I think it would get too out of sync to serve its purpose. I could see something like this better done as a exhibition. "This is the way we used to do it, and this is how we do it now."

That and it would kinda suck to be the runner showing off old strats because the average viewer would possibly not appreciate what they're doing as much or perhaps even think that runner to be less skilled. Agree with the exhibition idea since that could be an interesting piece to show how runs change over time. Link to the Past would be neat for that, runs of that game used to make sense!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Just watched the Ninja Gaiden race and its freaking incredible. Not only was it an incredible race, but the commenters actually added to the experience. If you only watch one thing, go with that.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ulta posted:

If you only watch one thing, go with that.

This is wrong, if you watch one thing make it Tetris, the Tetris block will make you question the concept of mortality.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Don't watch just one thing.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Where can I even watch all these things? I haven't seen anything about the bonus stream.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Where can I even watch all these things? I haven't seen anything about the bonus stream.

Bonus stream is already up here. Not much was very interesting. Maybe Dodonpachi by Patashu and Evil Zone multiplayer?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmewT1Wq-BxHK0OoOhmoHGQ

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Search "AGDQ 2015 [game name]" on Youtube.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Has anyone else noticed all the AGDQ videos on youtube have out-of-sync sound? I noticed it while watching a KH2 run video but thought it have been just that one, but today I looked for the Morrowind run and every video I could find was out of sync as well.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Has anyone else noticed all the AGDQ videos on youtube have out-of-sync sound? I noticed it while watching a KH2 run video but thought it have been just that one, but today I looked for the Morrowind run and every video I could find was out of sync as well.

Yeah, I was watching the Blindfolded OOT sections and I had to switch to the stream source because the audio was a few seconds off and it really made the heavy sound-based experience awkward.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I just opened two videos, put one ahead after measuring the sound delay, then played both of them while one was muted.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

pichupal posted:

Bonus stream is already up here. Not much was very interesting. Maybe Dodonpachi by Patashu and Evil Zone multiplayer?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmewT1Wq-BxHK0OoOhmoHGQ

Alright, thanks. I figured the bonus stream woulda been a few days long like last year.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So I've been looking up some of the runners' streams on twitch, and all I can say is that twitch chat is a cancer that needs to die.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

So I've been looking up some of the runners' streams on twitch, and all I can say is that twitch chat is a cancer that needs to die.

People were complaining in some of the chats (don't know why I read them) that AGDQ was bad because the chat wasn't good enough and the stream was boring. These are the kind of people that use the chat.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

Don't watch just one thing.
This guy is right, you should really watch all 3 tetris games, one is not enough.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
It looks like someone got mad and started sending out copyright notices for youtube stream rippers. On one hand, I totally get that people are making money out of content that's not theirs, but I also don't see any rush to get an official copy up to capitalize on that same money. I'd rather watch an official, high quality copy on youtube instead of a crappy 15 fps version, but any port in a storm. Twitch VOD doesn't run on my phone.

EDIT: Just saw the playlist link above, good quality youtubes there, for as long as it last.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 13, 2015

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

TheMadMilkman posted:

H Y P E B O Y S

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pointlessone posted:

It looks like someone got mad and started sending out copyright notices for youtube stream rippers. On one hand, I totally get that people are making money out of content that's not theirs, but I also don't see any rush to get an official copy up to capitalize on that same money. I'd rather watch an official, high quality copy on youtube instead of a crappy 15 fps version, but any port in a storm. Twitch VOD doesn't run on my phone.

EDIT: Just saw the playlist link above, good quality youtubes there, for as long as it last.

UA has better than stream quality recordings, he just needs time to split and upload them.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Rorus Raz posted:

Was UA the only big tech person there? I figured they'd have a handful of tech gurus on rotation throughout the week instead of having to wake up poor UA every time a TV goes on the fritz. I guess that's just part of working with a volunteer crew.

We had several senior techs available, and we tried to have at least one on station at all times. UA was really only "wake up call" status for tracker issues, like myself. Although unfortunately I only manage the server hosting, not the tracker code, so once we knew it was the tracker itself, welp. We're always looking to reduce the reliance on UA for that though.

Wyrm, Gyre, Testrunner, Vulajin, and myself were all available at different times. I generally tend to float behind the tech station though, as my leg doesn't put up with too much walking after several day's worth of scrambling for setup.

I was the one playing Spinball for reference, though. Glad there was exactly 1 person here excited to see it. Market saturated.

I'm still on site until tomorrow night but if you all would like to post just your feelings on how tech/audio/video was this year, I'd be happy to hear it. Setup was clearly problematic again, but this is the last event we will have that arrives without a full plan off-site.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Sonic Spinball is cool.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

pointlessone posted:

We prefer to wait for high quality. Also, we only send out notices for those who are attempting to monetize videos. That's always been our stance. If you want to rehost the whole marathon that's fine, just don't try and make a quick buck off of it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cool Matty posted:

We had several senior techs available, and we tried to have at least one on station at all times. UA was really only "wake up call" status for tracker issues, like myself. Although unfortunately I only manage the server hosting, not the tracker code, so once we knew it was the tracker itself, welp. We're always looking to reduce the reliance on UA for that though.

Wyrm, Gyre, Testrunner, Vulajin, and myself were all available at different times. I generally tend to float behind the tech station though, as my leg doesn't put up with too much walking after several day's worth of scrambling for setup.

I was the one playing Spinball for reference, though. Glad there was exactly 1 person here excited to see it. Market saturated.

I'm still on site until tomorrow night but if you all would like to post just your feelings on how tech/audio/video was this year, I'd be happy to hear it. Setup was clearly problematic again, but this is the last event we will have that arrives without a full plan off-site.

Besides the internet drops which I don't think were your fault from what I understand ,the only real issue I had was some too quiet game audio, and the mentioned setup issues. Otherwise, it went fantastic and was a great step up from the previous events.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Cool Matty posted:

We prefer to wait for high quality. Also, we only send out notices for those who are attempting to monetize videos. That's always been our stance. If you want to rehost the whole marathon that's fine, just don't try and make a quick buck off of it.

Ah, completely fair then. I half figured it was some reddit trolling/drama thing with someone sending fake requests in tank someone's fake internet points.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Note that also some runners might be taking stuff down that the marathon isn't, too -- I know Werster wanted his run only on the official channel and his own channel for now.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Cool Matty posted:

I was also the one person trying to badger you about in the past two GDQ threads before this one, so I will call it mission accomplished and pretend I had involvement in the decision to play it. :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Spinball is terrible but my 8 year old self enjoyed seeing it played. I smelled Robuttnik's socks quite a lot as a kid :v:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So is Super Mario 64 gouache now or something? I've always enjoyed that run. I guess it's been seen a lot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's basically been run about as hard is it can in marathons and I don't think new tech has happened for it in a long while

• Locked thread