Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That saucepan has been out of stock for a while, so I've annoyingly been using my 8 qt stock pot for mudane tasks like boiling pasta.

Woot has a Cuisinart France tri-ply 3 qt saucepan with 10" nonstick skillet for $80 after shipping and tax. I believe they're slightly older versions of these:

Skillet: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/french_classic_tri_ply_stainless/skillet_fcts/fct22-24ns.html

Saucepan: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/french_classic_tri_ply_stainless/sauce_pans_fcts/fct194-20.html

Compared to buying a 3 qt tri-ply saucepan alone, the skillet works out to just $30, but I already have a 12" Calphalon Unison, though I don't use it much compared to my 12" tri-ply because it's so heavy and unwieldy. Also, the saucepan doesn't have flared edges, but I'm not sure how big of a deal this is -- my previous 3 qt did.

If it's a good deal, I'm willing to pull the trigger, but the lack of flared edges may drive me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

That must be that "reverse psychology" I heard about

gently caress IVE BEEN FOUND OUT; IM A VITAMIX SALESMAN

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Sanyo rice cooker that's been on my Amazon wishlist indefinitely is no longer available. What's the current ~$100-150 rice cooker recommendation?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nephzinho posted:

The Sanyo rice cooker that's been on my Amazon wishlist indefinitely is no longer available. What's the current ~$100-150 rice cooker recommendation?

I have this one and it works quite well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So it's been about a week and I have to say squeeze bottle oils are the best invention ever. I should have done it years ago. Sad they don't look so good on the counter, but wow are they convenient as all hell.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have this one and it works quite well.

Zooooojiiirushiiii

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Zooooojiiirushiiii

Had one, it broke after about two years, got the one I posted and it's been working well enough for about three years. :shrug:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

Zooooojiiirushiiii

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

Zooooojiiirushiiii

Got this guy for christmas and drat this brown rice is good as hell.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Had one, it broke after about two years, got the one I posted and it's been working well enough for about three years. :shrug:
I've got one of the Zojirushi induction models that amazon says I bought a little over six years ago and it's still fine. The only Zojirushi appliance I've ever had problems with is a water boiler, which failed after about 4 years (electronics went out after condensation started forming in the display, probably do to an internal seal going bad).

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

I've got one of the Zojirushi induction models that amazon says I bought a little over six years ago and it's still fine. The only Zojirushi appliance I've ever had problems with is a water boiler, which failed after about 4 years (electronics went out after condensation started forming in the display, probably do to an internal seal going bad).

Wonder when that'll happen to mine, I inherited my water boiler from my parents and I think it's like ~10 years old at this point.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just bought a Zojirushi last week (3 cup model). In the bowl, it says "White Rice/Mixed Rice (2 cups max)" and then has a line indicating how much water to fill for 3 cups. I didn't receive any documentation with it and couldn't find a good answer online.

Does that 2 cup limit only apply to mixed rice? I almost exclusively cook regular white rice so maxing it out with 3 cups is fine, right?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Teeter posted:

I just bought a Zojirushi last week (3 cup model). In the bowl, it says "White Rice/Mixed Rice (2 cups max)" and then has a line indicating how much water to fill for 3 cups. I didn't receive any documentation with it and couldn't find a good answer online.

Does that 2 cup limit only apply to mixed rice? I almost exclusively cook regular white rice so maxing it out with 3 cups is fine, right?

yeah, mine says something similar for a different quantity, afaik the 2 cup limit is for mixed rice.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Also keep in mind a "cup" refers to their rice cup (included) which is usually more around 3/4 cups. So use the rice cup to measure if you're going by that inside label for water and not a real cup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mich posted:

Also keep in mind a "cup" refers to their rice cup (included) which is usually more around 3/4 cups. So use the rice cup to measure if you're going by that inside label for water and not a real cup.

Or you can make Mr Allen, your elementary school math teacher, proud and do the math in your head

(this is if you don't want to get the rice cup wet because you leave it in the jar with the rice)

edit: Sorry, misread mich's post and thought he was saying to use the small cup for both

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 13, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Or you can make Mr Allen, your elementary school math teacher, proud and do the math in your head

(this is if you don't want to get the rice cup wet because you leave it in the jar with the rice)

those graduations on the side of the cooker pot are so that you dont have to get the scoop wet. Put 3 scoops of rice in, rinse, fill to the 3 line, cook.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

mindphlux posted:

really, seriously, just keep your hamilton beach blender. it's probably fine and does everything you need it to do. vitamixes are stupid expensive, and it's not worth trolling refurb or sale sites for. you'll know when you want/need one, and when you're at a Life Point where you're ready to shell out $400 for a blender. until then, just chop your ice per normal with your hamilton whatever, and look for a better job.

I bought a Vitamix in the recent refurb sale and, yeah, there's nothing magic about it. I haven't tried a huge variety of things with mine yet, but so far, given the price, I've been disappointed - making protein shakes, it doesn't work any better than a $15 single-serve blender (the protein powder has clumps that stay dry and stick to the inside of the container, just like with the single-serve). And just now I tried chopping up cheese with it, for cheese bread, since it's one of the things the manual says it can do, and it didn't work well at all - the cheese got lumped up and stuck in the corners of the container, and it could only handle a small amount of cheese at a time, with frequent need to scrape out the container. It was quicker and produced better results to grate the cheese by hand, which is what I switched to after several minutes of monkeying with the blender.

I'm going to experiment more with it, of course. Hopefully I'll get my money's worth out of it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kylaer posted:

I bought a Vitamix in the recent refurb sale and, yeah, there's nothing magic about it. I haven't tried a huge variety of things with mine yet, but so far, given the price, I've been disappointed - making protein shakes, it doesn't work any better than a $15 single-serve blender (the protein powder has clumps that stay dry and stick to the inside of the container, just like with the single-serve). And just now I tried chopping up cheese with it, for cheese bread, since it's one of the things the manual says it can do, and it didn't work well at all - the cheese got lumped up and stuck in the corners of the container, and it could only handle a small amount of cheese at a time, with frequent need to scrape out the container. It was quicker and produced better results to grate the cheese by hand, which is what I switched to after several minutes of monkeying with the blender.

I'm going to experiment more with it, of course. Hopefully I'll get my money's worth out of it.

I don't think that was what mindphlux was implying

the clumping thing isnt a vitamix thing, it's a chemistry thing. putting powder in first then liquid causes it to form a gelatinous skin that makes it stick to the walls and protects it from the torrent. Put the liquid in first, start the blender and add the powder in the top.

It's also not a grater. so yeah, it's a pretty terrible grater.

Try using it as a blender maybe

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 14, 2015

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I tried making a chopped salad with my vitamix and all I got was gazpacho. A $5 shaker bottle is all you need for protein powder shakes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

the clumping thing isnt a vitamix thing, it's a chemistry thing. putting powder in first then liquid causes it to form a gelatinous skin that makes it stick to the walls and protects it from the torrent. Put the liquid in first, start the blender and add the powder in the top.

:aaaaa: have I been making protein shakes wrong for 15 years?! Holy poo poo. Is this something that works with a shake-bottle or just a blender? No, nevermind I'll just try tomorrow morning.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tbh, ive found my vitamix is pretty decent for 'grating' parmesan cheese

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Tbh, ive found my vitamix is pretty decent for 'grating' parmesan cheese

Yeah i think hard dry cheeses will work better because you're more grinding than grating in a way.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I tried to make tomato soup with my Vitamix, doing the whole 'heat it with friction' thing but it ended up having a pretty weird taste and aroma, probably from the crazy about of aeration that went on. They're useful devices and I definitely enjoy smoothies and such, but trying to do weird applications to justify the purchase cost seems iffy.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think that was what mindphlux was implying

It's also not a grater. so yeah, it's a pretty terrible grater.

Try using it as a blender maybe

Jeez Grav, maybe you should check your Vitamix privilege at the door next time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Velius posted:

I tried to make tomato soup with my Vitamix, doing the whole 'heat it with friction' thing but it ended up having a pretty weird taste and aroma, probably from the crazy about of aeration that went on. They're useful devices and I definitely enjoy smoothies and such, but trying to do weird applications to justify the purchase cost seems iffy.

It definitely has a signature texture, vitamix purees are unparalleled, IMO. You pass them through a chinoise and it leaves absolutely nothing behind.

I've never had a weird taste/aroma though, though it never tastes like pressure cooked or stove top, mostly I think because some of the ingredients are closer to raw than sweated or caramelized. I still prefer to puree then finish on the stovetop though. The whirring blades for 7 minutes isn't exactly quiet. I hear you can do cool things like creme anglaise in the VM though, though I haven't tried yet.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
I bought a Chemex recently. I've been using a Krups blade grinder. Should I just suck up and get a ~100 dollar burr grinder(looking at the Bodum) or is that overkill/can I get by on something cheaper?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

wangvicous posted:

I bought a Chemex recently. I've been using a Krups blade grinder. Should I just suck up and get a ~100 dollar burr grinder(looking at the Bodum) or is that overkill/can I get by on something cheaper?

This ceramic burr one is awesome: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JZCF2

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wangvicous posted:

I'd get either the capresso infinity or the baratza maestro which is often sold refurb for a good price.

You can go manual, but most have single bearing shafts and wobble which gives inconsistent grind. A $100 grinder isn't overkill at all. I would argue that is actually starting price for acceptable grinders.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd get either the capresso infinity or the baratza maestro which is often sold refurb for a good price.

You can go manual, but most have single bearing shafts and wobble which gives inconsistent grind. A $100 grinder isn't overkill at all. I would argue that is actually starting price for acceptable grinders.

You can buy third party upgrades for the wobble on some manual grinders. I have one for the Skerton that I 3D printed, but I got the idea from an upgrade kit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Talking about coffee grinders, I've kind of had it up to here with electric ones. I've had some great burr grinders that broke and I have my backup blade grinder that hasn't let me down in over a decade but doesn't make great coffee, and I have my little hand crank grinder which takes a thousand years to grind enough for a single aeropress run. Once upon a time some family of mine had a great big two wheel cast iron monster from the 1890s that worked great, but I don't have room in my house for one of those at the moment. So I was thinking of something like this:

How do they do, generally? Reliable? How fast does it take to fill up the little drawer?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Talking about coffee grinders, I've kind of had it up to here with electric ones. I've had some great burr grinders that broke and I have my backup blade grinder that hasn't let me down in over a decade but doesn't make great coffee, and I have my little hand crank grinder which takes a thousand years to grind enough for a single aeropress run. Once upon a time some family of mine had a great big two wheel cast iron monster from the 1890s that worked great, but I don't have room in my house for one of those at the moment. So I was thinking of something like this:

How do they do, generally? Reliable? How fast does it take to fill up the little drawer?

I'd be worried about slop in the shaft, though I don't know the design of that one so I'm just speculating.

the sperg community really likes this guy:
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-2-Manual-Coffee-Grinder_p_14.html

dual bearings that are all replaceable for consistent grind.

Honestly though if you're looking for a consistent workhorse just get a Rancilio Rocky. Mine's been marchin along like a boss.
http://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-HSD-ROC-SD-Rocky-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00H1OUW24

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This one is good too:

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Skerton-Storage-Capacity/dp/B001802PIQ/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just buy a $100+ electric burr grinder that people recommend. I have a Hario manual grinder and it is a royal pain in the rear end to use everyday.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

mod sassinator posted:

Just buy a $100+ electric burr grinder that people recommend. I have a Hario manual grinder and it is a royal pain in the rear end to use everyday.

Well its not any more of a pain in the rear end than any other manual grinder.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd be worried about slop in the shaft, though I don't know the design of that one so I'm just speculating.

the sperg community really likes this guy:
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-2-Manual-Coffee-Grinder_p_14.html

dual bearings that are all replaceable for consistent grind.

Honestly though if you're looking for a consistent workhorse just get a Rancilio Rocky. Mine's been marchin along like a boss.
http://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-HSD-ROC-SD-Rocky-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00H1OUW24

My friend has a pepper mill like that and it takes a long time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have that Hario, which is what I'm trying to not use. Right now in fact I only use it when the power is out - that's how much I hate it. I was hoping that with one of the old fashioned ones it would at least be stable on the counter and I could grind a batch of coffee with, say, 30 rotations instead of 3000 or some other ridiculous number.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
They're all going to be a pain in the butt. It sucks royally but $100 is pretty much the minimum for a good grinder. :(

edit: There are refurb Baratza Encore models available: https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB They go in and out of stock every week or so.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So basically I'm stuck with electric until I can get the room for one of these:

(pretty much the one I fantasize about, and which grinds coffee like a boss with zero effort)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
in a distant world where steam powers the planet and coffee pays for it... :hehe:

Here's my extremely lovely first attempt at nighiri--I started to get better at it towards the end. Still delicious. Thanks for the help itt everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Or get one of these:

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/PHAROS_c_22.html

or

http://hg-one.com/the-hg-one-grinder/

You should also check out the coffee thread, lots of good advice in there:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

• Locked thread