Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Metratron posted:

I would think that zits are different from boils. The substantial impairment here is that there is constant outbreak of zits on the skin that are not treatable. If it is a genetic disorder then she will continuously have these zits for the rest of her life. That in my mind is substantially affecting her normal skin functions (not having zits).

Swap "boils" for "zits," and now you're saying chronic acne is an ADA disability. Chronic acne would affect the normal skin function of not having zits....

Here is a good place for you to point to any case law finding a chronic yet mild illness is a disability. Even if it's only been four years since the amendment, you think no one has tried that theory so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ActusRhesus posted:

to be fair, this is not the kid's parent.

Sorry. I saw an opportunity to be an rear end so I took it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Metratron posted:

I don't understand how you can get that that list isn't want the Act intends to include as major bodily functions. Including but not limited to means that the list is not exhaustive and that there are order bodily functions that the act does not specifically mention. Your skin is an organ and can be affected by disease.
In the case of HIV, someone with HIV is not disabled with HIV not because you can't go out and work, but because HIV impairs your immune system. That's the whole point of the ADAAA. Not to restrict disability to those very stringent and specific cases.

I would think that boils are different from zits. The substantial impairment here is that there is constant outbreak of boils on the skin that are not treatable. If it is a genetic disorder then she will continuously have these boils for the rest of her life. That in my mind is substantially affecting her normal skin functions (not having boils).

Ok your right I misread that part. Now, tell me what MAJOR body function boils disrupt. They don't make your skin stop protecting your body, which is what skin does. Unless they're not boils but open sores/wounds, in which case you are actually a health risk to others as much as being around other people is a health risk to you. Someone with multiple open sores on their skin caused by a disease/genetic disorder may in fact qualify for some disability, but daycares do have to take into account the health of all the kids. At least state regulated ones. At home daycares are a total crapshoot and TBH not a risk I would even take with my kids, but that isn't really the point. Your going to have a real hard time saying a boil is a disability. You might get a disability out of constant open sores causes by exploding boils, but you won't at the same time get a daycare to have to take the health risk to the other kids. Basically your disabled child would be potentially infectious to all other children.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I took five minutes to look. There was a 5th Circuit case in 2010 which is suggestive of the proposition that psoriasis (a skin disease that is ugly but not generally problematic) isn't substantially impairing, which psoriatic arthritis is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

I took five minutes to look. There was a 5th Circuit case in 2010 which is suggestive of the proposition that psoriasis (a skin disease that is ugly but not generally problematic) isn't substantially impairing, which psoriatic arthritis is.

That decision makes sense and is nicely illustrative of the substantial point.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
And even assuming, for the sake of argument, that the kid is covered by the ADA, the parent would be suing a small home daycare center that absolutely wouldn’t be able to pay any judgment against it. The litigation would be too expensive to make this case worthwhile.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Surely the suffering of your enemy is a reward all on it's own*

*the attorney you retain probably won't accept it as payment for their work, though.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
yeah, a big part of "good" legal advice is not just "can you" but "should you".

Metratron
May 7, 2007

Kalman posted:

If you are referring to CARMONA v SOUTHWEST AIRLINES, then its hard to rely on that because they applied the ADA as it stood before the ADAAA since the discrimination occurred in 2006 and the initial lawsuit was in 2008. The ADAAA is not applied retroactively. The 5th Circuit addresses this directly. "Congress amended the ADA in order to correct what it viewed as an overly restrictive interpretation of the statute's terms that had been adopted by the Supreme Court in Sutton and Williams. These amendments would be very favorable to Carmona's case if they are applicable, because they make it easier for a plaintiff with an episodic condition like Carmona's to establish that he is an "individual with a disability.""

The 5th Circuit stated that the psoriasis was not substantially impairing to the plaintiff's major life activity (walking) but the psoriatic arthritis was. Which makes sense since this was before major bodily function was added as a major life activity so the court didn't address the issue..

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I have a client who lost her job at the Cheetah Lounge because she has a genetic condition that makes her ugly. This substantially impairs her ability not to be ugly. Please advise.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

echopapa posted:

And even assuming, for the sake of argument, that the kid is covered by the ADA, the parent would be suing a small home daycare center that absolutely wouldn’t be able to pay any judgment against it. The litigation would be too expensive to make this case worthwhile.

Ashcans posted:

Surely the suffering of your enemy is a reward all on it's own*
*the attorney you retain probably won't accept it as payment for their work, though.

the milk machine posted:

Swap "boils" for "zits," and now you're saying chronic acne is an ADA disability. Chronic acne would affect the normal skin function of not having zits....
Here is a good place for you to point to any case law finding a chronic yet mild illness is a disability. Even if it's only been four years since the amendment, you think no one has tried that theory so far?

l great reasons why.... once again.....

blarzgh posted:

You do not have "a case."

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Go ahead and start drafting a complaint, I don't know if you've heard but Congress said the new standard is very liberal. Don't worry about the text of the statute, case law, or anything, you're good to go.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

I have a client who lost her job at the Cheetah Lounge because she has a genetic condition that makes her ugly. This substantially impairs her ability not to be ugly. Please advise.

See my post on Assfacia.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think people who don't practice law tend to think that if they really believe hard in their righteousness on one narrow issue, all the other holes in the tapestry of their legal relief will just fill themselves in.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Make the cheetah lounge pay for a boob job. Duh

I was going to write a big long post about how the cowboys pass was like this (it sucks, but rules.), but I got lazy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Make the cheetah lounge pay for a boob job. Duh

I was going to write a big long post about how the cowboys pass was like this (it sucks, but rules.), but I got lazy.

Seriously stop it. everytime I forget about it for a minute you remind me again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I think people who don't practice law tend to think that if they really believe hard in their righteousness on one narrow issue, all the other holes in the tapestry of their legal relief will just fill themselves in.

Yes I spend a lot of time telling clients why their case is not very good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Yes I spend a lot of time telling clients why their case is not very good.

So do I, but as a public defender, it just means they think I'm trying to dumptruck them.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

and again...even if the ADA did apply, which we've settled it does not,

1. You will spend lots of money litigating.
2. Your kid will be published in legal records as "Boil Kid" sure sure, we don't identify minors, but it's not hard to find out who people are.
3. Every daycare you try to enroll your child in will know you as "that family who sued their last daycare" whoops...no room at the inn...
4. What are your damages again?
5. A jury will probably think the daycare was justified after being shown huge demonstrative exhibits of blown up boil posters.
6. No, really, what are your damages?

Prudent legal advice, if you truly feel the daycare was insensitive to your kid's medical condition, give them some bad social media reviews...possibly report it to the AG if your state has more liberal laws regarding medical discrimination, and find a better daycare.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wow I can't believe this is still going on.

Cowboys suck, boils suck, law sucks.

Now, who has a question about their lease?! Invalidating grandad's will? Pleading guilty to a sex crime?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I need advice on invalidating my lease to rent my grandpa's place because he died and I'm going to prison for a sex crime.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Now, who has a question about their lease?!

Just for you: what is the duty of care that a landlord owes to a tenant (call them "A") in a multi-unit dwelling with shared common area regarding verifying that another tenant (call them "B") is not criminally insane before letting them rent a unit?

I'll take a 50-state survey response, thx.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DNova posted:

I need advice on invalidating my lease to rent my grandpa's place because he died and I'm going to prison for a sex crime.
Using my grandpa's lease, I committed a sex crime against an invalid. If I put enough punctuation in my name, can I do this pro se?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bad Munki posted:

Using my grandpa's lease, I committed a sex crime against an invalid. If I put enough punctuation in my name, can I do this pro se?

Is the lease gold-fringed?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not anymore.

Metratron
May 7, 2007
Alright you guys win. However, I'm not the guy with the kid in daycare. I was just trying to argue my point that he could have a case under the new more liberal standards of the ADAAA.

the milk machine posted:

Go ahead and start drafting a complaint, I don't know if you've heard but Congress said the new standard is very liberal. Don't worry about the text of the statute, case law, or anything, you're good to go.

The whole point is that Congress specifically upended the entire line of case law that interpreted what substantially limits means. It isn't some legislative history but rather something that is in the text of the statute that the courts should stop trying to scrutinize so closely whether or not someone has a disability and focus on whether discrimination occurred.

Metratron fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 12, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Congress still left the word in the statute. You can't ignore it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What percent of being a lawyer is ridiculous arguments about the meaning of a specific word? If the answer is a high number, I may have a follow-up question about how to apply to law school.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 13, 2015

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

docbeard posted:

What percent of being a lawyer is ridiculous arguments about the meaning of a specific word? If the answer is a high number, I may have a follow-up question about how to apply to law school.

Quite a bit, actually. Dec actions are serious business.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

docbeard posted:

Given that the latest ACA SCOTUS case seems to revolve around what a "state" is, probably a lot.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

docbeard posted:

Approximately 90% of my life.

(But I am a patent lawyer.)

Metratron
May 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

Congress still left the word in the statute. You can't ignore it.

But I'm not ignoring it. The ADAAA states that “the term ‘substantially limits’ shall be interpreted consistently with the findings and purposes of the ADA Amendments Act of 2008."

Everyone here is interpreting "substantially limits" similarly to how the Supreme Court interpreted it back in 2002 in Toyota Motor v. Williams. They held that the terms “substantially” and “major” in the definition of disability under the ADA “need to be interpreted strictly to create a demanding standard for qualifying as disabled,” and that to be substantially limited in performing a major life activity under the ADA “an individual must have an impairment that prevents or severely restricts the individual from doing activities that are of central importance to most people’s daily lives.”
The ADAAA says, that's too restrictive. Now, under the ADAAA, when trying to figure out whether something "substantially limits" a "major life activity" we should look at "whether entities covered under the ADA have complied with their obligations, and to convey that the question of whether an individual’s impairment is a disability under the ADA should not demand extensive analysis."

Now the question is, does having some genetic disorder that produces boils on your skin substantially limit a major life activity. If we accept that the genetic disorder is a physical impairment and that it affects a major bodily function (again we never got more information on the exact disease so the boils could be caused by the immune system or just something in the skin, I don't know), then to me it is clear that there is substantial impairment solely based on the fact that the boils are persistent. A normal body does not constantly produce boils or cyst without some infection. Whether or not it is some sort of debilitating disease is irrelevant.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have yet to show how a boil substantially limits anything. Complaint dismissed.

Congress didn't say persistent. They said substantial.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

Quite a bit, actually. Dec actions are serious business.

sullat posted:

Given that the latest ACA SCOTUS case seems to revolve around what a "state" is, probably a lot.

Kalman posted:

Approximately 90% of my life.

(But I am a patent lawyer.)

Seriously, had I realized when I was much younger that law played to exactly the sort of nerdery that appeals to me (basically anything with a lot of complicated and contradictory rules), my life could well have taken a very different turn.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Probably epidermolysis bullosa or bullous impetigo. Calling them sores seems a little excessive, but laypeople might disagree.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm sorry Metra but I think that interpretation will die a quick death. Anything out there supporting it? Law review or a case?

Metratron
May 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

You have yet to show how a boil substantially limits anything. Complaint dismissed.

Congress didn't say persistent. They said substantial.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm sorry Metra but I think that interpretation will die a quick death. Anything out there supporting it? Law review or a case?

I was just about to post a law review article. http://scholarship.law.missouri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3911&context=mlr
Starting on page 14 it covers the new major life activities and what significantly impaired means under the ADAAA and new regulations.
Which led me to the regulations defining major life activity
29 CFR 1630.2
(i) Major life activities—
(1) In general. Major life activities include, but are not limited to:
(ii) The operation of a major bodily function, including functions of the immune system, special sense organs and skin; normal cell growth; and digestive, genitourinary, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, cardiovascular, endocrine, hemic, lymphatic, musculoskeletal, and reproductive functions. The operation of a major bodily function includes the operation of an individual organ within a body system.

Now I think I might not have been clear before, but I do not think that boils in and of themselves are what qualifies as a disability. Now we don't really know what the medical condition is or how it works, but if the boils are caused by the genetic disorder affecting the immune system or affecting how the skin works then yes, the genetic disorder is substantially limiting the normal functions of the immune system or skin.

We've gone over this before, but the only guide on what we have for what substantially limited means is in the regulations. "An impairment need not prevent, or significantly or severely restrict, the individual from performing a major life activity in order to be considered substantially limiting. Nonetheless, not every impairment will constitute a disability within the meaning of this section." "The determination of whether an impairment substantially limits a major life activity requires an individualized assessment. However, in making this assessment, the term “substantially limits” shall be interpreted and applied to require a degree of functional limitation that is lower than the standard for “substantially limits” applied prior to the ADAAA."

We've been mainly talking about boils here, but we don't really know that much of what the actual condition is. However, we know it is lifelong since the father mentioned he has episodes as well. Now we don't have anything definite saying that yes genetic disorder that causes boils is automatically a disability, but we have some guidance into what is covered right now:
diabetes substantially limits endocrine function; (just as an aside, diabetes would not have counted before as a disability unless it significantly impaired some other major life activity besides endocrine function)
epilepsy substantially limits neurological function;
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection substantially limits immune function;
multiple sclerosis substantially limits neurological function;
muscular dystrophy substantially limits neurological function;
and major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and schizophrenia substantially limit brain function.

These are suppose to be "easy" cases were it is clear that there is a disability. Now, maybe the boils aren't as clear as these, but it's not so clear cut that its definitely precluded.

Metratron fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've straight up litigated the meaning of individualized assessment. Even have a reported case on it. It's pretty dang broad.

I'm not as eager to push back on your interpretation, but it really seems like the incredibly liberal standard you think congress intended would open the flood gates on litigation.

Assume that boil child has a genetic condition that causes one painful boil to appear on her stomach daily, and the only relief is to give the child a 1 minute bath in boilease brand soaking powder. The daycare provider refuses to accommodate the child and boil dad sues. Do you think that wound be discrimination?

Edit: I don't think anyone is saying boils that impair your sight, hearing, speech, arm movement, walking, etc would not be disabling under the ada, cause those are all life activities.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Metratron posted:

I was just about to post a law review article. http://scholarship.law.missouri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3911&context=mlr
Starting on page 14 it covers the new major life activities and what significantly impaired means under the ADAAA and new regulations.
Which led me to the regulations defining major life activity
29 CFR 1630.2
(i) Major life activities—
(1) In general. Major life activities include, but are not limited to:
(ii) The operation of a major bodily function, including functions of the immune system, special sense organs and skin; normal cell growth; and digestive, genitourinary, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, cardiovascular, endocrine, hemic, lymphatic, musculoskeletal, and reproductive functions. The operation of a major bodily function includes the operation of an individual organ within a body system.

Now I think I might not have been clear before, but I do not think that boils in and of themselves are what qualifies as a disability. Now we don't really know what the medical condition is or how it works, but if the boils are caused by the genetic disorder affecting the immune system or affecting how the skin works then yes, the genetic disorder is substantially limiting the normal functions of the immune system or skin.

We've gone over this before, but the only guide on what we have for what substantially limited means is in the regulations. "An impairment need not prevent, or significantly or severely restrict, the individual from performing a major life activity in order to be considered substantially limiting. Nonetheless, not every impairment will constitute a disability within the meaning of this section." "The determination of whether an impairment substantially limits a major life activity requires an individualized assessment. However, in making this assessment, the term “substantially limits” shall be interpreted and applied to require a degree of functional limitation that is lower than the standard for “substantially limits” applied prior to the ADAAA."

We've been mainly talking about boils here, but we don't really know that much of what the actual condition is. However, we know it is lifelong since the father mentioned he has episodes as well. Now we don't have anything definite saying that yes genetic disorder that causes boils is automatically a disability, but we have some guidance into what is covered right now:
diabetes substantially limits endocrine function; (just as an aside, diabetes would not have counted before as a disability unless it significantly impaired some other major life activity besides endocrine function)
epilepsy substantially limits neurological function;
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection substantially limits immune function;
multiple sclerosis substantially limits neurological function;
muscular dystrophy substantially limits neurological function;
and major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and schizophrenia substantially limit brain function.

These are suppose to be "easy" cases were it is clear that there is a disability. Now, maybe the boils aren't as clear as these, but it's not so clear cut that its definitely precluded.

That is a fuckload of words to say "we don't know what the condition is so nobody can say for sure."

As stated 100x before, even if your magic boils disease would qualify as a disability, though it isn't because boils have never been a disabling condition, then your suit against an unregulated in home daycare with no actual damages to claim, and no reasonable hope of recovering money against the person who isn't discriminating against the non qualifying disease with no damages, is going nowhere. Your arguing a case full of nothing for no good reason. Go get drunk and play xbox or something productive with your life.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've straight up litigated the meaning of individualized assessment. Even have a reported case on it. It's pretty dang broad.

I'm not as eager to push back on your interpretation, but it really seems like the incredibly liberal standard you think congress intended would open the flood gates on litigation.

Assume that boil child has a genetic condition that causes one painful boil to appear on her stomach daily, and the only relief is to give the child a 1 minute bath in boilease brand soaking powder. The daycare provider refuses to accommodate the child and boil dad sues. Do you think that wound be discrimination?

Edit: I don't think anyone is saying boils that impair your sight, hearing, speech, arm movement, walking, etc would not be disabling under the ada, cause those are all life activities.

He has no point at all. He just wants to post on the internet until someone agrees that his original point of view could have any merit at all. Even though he has previously in this thread proclaimed he gives up.

Metratron posted:

Alright you guys win. However, I'm not the guy with the kid in daycare. I was just trying to argue my point that he could have a case under the new more liberal standards of the ADAAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metratron
May 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

He has no point at all. He just wants to post on the internet until someone agrees that his original point of view could have any merit at all. Even though he has previously in this thread proclaimed he gives up.

So I got a bit carried away.