Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

morning wood posted:

Amen. Saw a funny interview with Patrick Chapin saying he would never do it because it's classless.

2015 IPG update:

Game Play Error - Lands in Front
Game Loss (upgrade path for repeated violation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
ban all cards in modern ~

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gyshall posted:

Bring back Extended, obviously.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

It's a work in progress

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ban all expensive cards I don't already own.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Ban all expensive cards I don't already own.

Reprint all the expensive cards I don't own.

Also ban Tarmogoyf.

Also also make Duck Faygo Modern Legal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Reprint all the expensive cards I don't own.

Also ban Tarmogoyf.

Also also make Duck Faygo Modern Legal.

The last of those they unironically should've done.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Angry Grimace posted:

Bring back Extended, obviously.

Bring back Extended circa '98.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

Bring back Extended circa '98.

This but 2004 and make LSV play his GP Anaheim deck from back then on stream/vods in extended '04 dailies.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyshall posted:

Ban spells.

Creeping Tarpit 4eva~

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
All formats of magic should be a deck made up of Elves, or a deck made up of Goblins

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

did you know that for the first couple of years after legacy was changed from being vintage lite, the best deck was indisputably Goblins and there was talk about banning Lackey?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elyv posted:

did you know that for the first couple of years after legacy was changed from being vintage lite, the best deck was indisputably Goblins and there was talk about banning Lackey?

No, Lackey was actually banned. That's why it was on FtV : Exiled.

EDIT: No, it was banned in Extended. Nevermind.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

Doesn't surprise me. Goblins is still good despite running at least 50 cards that are over ten years old.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Doesn't surprise me. Goblins is still good despite running at least 50 cards that are over ten years old.

It would be the best deck in the format if it was able to run a 20 year old card, too

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Ban nonlands with CMC<4. Every day I'm durdlin'.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

2015 IPG update:

Game Play Error - Lands in Front

That sounds way too good to be true.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

2015 IPG update:

Game Play Error - Lands in Back

Took the liberty of fixing that for you. :smug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

2015 IPG update:

Game Play Error - Lands in Deck

The change I want for legacy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

forbidden lesbian posted:

Is there even a way for dredge to work without dread return, like what would the dredge deck look like in modern if Grave troll is unbanned but not dread return?

It would still be really clunky and would just fill up the yard faster for not that much reward.

Considering Siege Rhino is a better Bloodbraid that always cascades into an uncounterable Lightning Helix every time Bloodbraid should get unbanned.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Ban nonlands with CMC<4. Every day I'm durdlin'.

I was trolling some people discussing possible bans by agreeing unbanning BBE, but banning all cards with CMC 3 or less and also banning one of the tron lands. Some of them thought it was serious when 2 others caught on and said they'd heard rumours of a single tron land ban.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
In a format with only lands allowed what wins? Like either the Mishra's Factory/Mutavault plan outrace or the Blinkmoth/Inkmoth Nexus plan.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Replace Modern with Momir Basic

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Considering Siege Rhino is a better Bloodbraid that always cascades into an uncounterable Lightning Helix every time Bloodbraid should get unbanned.

Hahaha no really what? This can't be a real comparison that someone is actually making.

Drain opponent for 3 is not an ability that is on par with the spell Lightning Helix.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 12, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I would look for something built around Stage-Depths with Tolaria West to be very powerful, with a possible foil in the form of Mystifying Maze. So basically, once again it comes down to "blue decks" vs. "broken colorless mana". :negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

Replace Modern with Momir Basic

would watch that pro tour.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Zoness posted:

Hahaha no really what? This can't be a real comparison that someone is actually making.

I've seen that comparison made all the time. It's perhaps a little exaggerated, but I definitely understand the reasons people are saying it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zoness posted:

Drain opponent for 3 is not an ability that is on par with the spell Lightning Helix.

Similarly, a 3/2 for 4 body, even with haste, is not on par with a 4/5 trampler. The combined value of the spells isn't all that far off, they're just apportioned differently.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

I've seen that comparison made all the time. It's perhaps a little exaggerated, but I definitely understand the reasons people are saying it.

It's an incredibly bad comparison.

Siege Rhino is not that great of a card, especially when put next to something like Bloodbraid Elf which is a 3/2 and a removal spell, discard spell, or extra body.

The drain life effect is nowhere near equal to the value of the card advantage BBE brings with it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's an incredibly bad comparison.

Siege Rhino is not that great of a card, especially in comparison to something like Bloodbraid Elf which is a 3/2 and a removal spell, discard spell, or extra body.

The drain life effect is nowhere near equal to the value of the card advantage BBE brings with it.

A lot of pros themselves have been making the comparison, Rhino is basically a more consistent version of BBE. Sure, the ceiling is higher for the cascaded spell on BBE, but you aren't always going to get a spell that's relevant and/or useful. On the other hand, you always know what you're getting with Rhino.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Siege Rhino also yields nothing if countered while BBE and its cascaded spells are each resolved in the stack individually.

The counterpoint to this is that BBE does nothing if put into play directly which only matters for pod which is a deck that wouldn't play BBE anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think that maybe comparing two cards as wildly different as Seige Rhino and Bloodbraid is bad.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also, you can pod into a Rhino but not a BBE.

I do think with Deathrite gone, BBE might be okay again. It seems like with no turn-two Liliana, and Cruise-enabled Delver everywhere, Jund loses a lot of its former steam.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I would look for something built around Stage-Depths with Tolaria West to be very powerful, with a possible foil in the form of Mystifying Maze. So basically, once again it comes down to "blue decks" vs. "broken colorless mana". :negative:
It feels like there could be a control deck built around Quicksand, Maze of Ith, Kor Haven, etc (Kjeldoran Outpost finisher maybe)? Tolaria West is absurd in the format all-round though, yeah.
E: You'd probably need to make the minimum deck size smaller though, otherwise it's a) pretty boring and b) aggro is probably unworkable.

is that good fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 12, 2015

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Bugsy posted:

Siege Rhino is a better Bloodbraid

Anyone who says this never played in a format where Bloodbraid was legal

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

LordSaturn posted:

Also, you can pod into a Rhino but not a BBE.

I do think with Deathrite gone, BBE might be okay again. It seems like with no turn-two Liliana, and Cruise-enabled Delver everywhere, Jund loses a lot of its former steam.

Gonna jam simian spirit guides for T2 lilies.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
When should I sell or trade my Elspeths (paper and online) before the duel deck? Becayse that's going to torpedo her price right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Allstone posted:

It feels like there could be a control deck built around Quicksand, Maze of Ith, Kor Haven, etc (Kjeldoran Outpost finisher maybe)? Tolaria West is absurd in the format all-round though, yeah.
E: You'd probably need to make the minimum deck size smaller though, otherwise it's a) pretty boring and b) aggro is probably unworkable.

You guys are forgetting the aggro deck. Mutavault, Mishra's factory, Blinkmoth Nexus, Dryad Arbor, Zoetic Cavern, Treetop Village, Faerie Conclave, Ancient Tomb, Pendelhaven, and 7 UG lands assuming a 40 card deck. Maybe throw in a Stalking Stones or 2 for the lategame. It's basically unbeatable.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I always appreciate it when amulet increases in popularity, it's one of the few decks that is played in my area that straight up folds to main deck blood moons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

You guys are forgetting the aggro deck. Mutavault, Mishra's factory, Blinkmoth Nexus, Dryad Arbor, Zoetic Cavern, Treetop Village, Faerie Conclave, Ancient Tomb, Pendelhaven, and 7 UG lands assuming a 40 card deck. Maybe throw in a Stalking Stones or 2 for the lategame. It's basically unbeatable.

I don't know why you people trying to theorycraft for this format aren't starting with 4x Strip Mine 4x Wasteland and possibly Tectonic Edge and maybe even Dust Bowl.

• Locked thread