Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I came to Giant Bomb after Ryan died, so I don't have that to compare to. It's a funny show, marginally about video games. I find Dan funny, though I can see how some would find him annoying. As discussed in this thread at a prior time, mortgages are not common knowledge, nor are they simple. Dan has his experience which is different from the norm, but he's not dumb (I suspect he's probably incredibly savvy, and at least some of it's an act).

Basically I want their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a fine line between being dumb and being inexperienced. A lot of things that Dan is "dumb" about are things he's never been exposed to, like mortgages and most food. He's pretty open about learning things, but sometimes he does the Ironic Guy bit a too much like calling transformers a show for children while under the same breath talking about GI Joe storylines for half an hour.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

I think you guys are missing the point. Nobody cares if some one understands what a mortgage is. It's about what you find entertaining.

This. I'm yet to find another podcast that I actively wake up at 6 in the morning to squeeze in before work, just so happens it's about my favourite hobby - vidja gameuz

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There is not a day I look at my tortilla press and not curse Giant Bomb and Vinny.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Warbird posted:

There is not a day I look at my tortilla press and not curse Giant Bomb and Vinny.

At least you didn't buy a sous vide machine. Or a flight stick.

I did buy a zojirushi flask which is excellent and reminds me of Ryan!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SoulChicken posted:

At least you didn't buy a sous vide machine.
I am going to buy one of these.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Captain Invictus posted:

I am going to buy one of these.

Me too, but I had 200 bucks budgeted for kitchen poo poo this month and I went with a coffee setup instead of a Sansaire.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Pasco posted:

I think some of the VGHD guys read the thread:

What's with the background Jeff Goldblum around 19 minutes into this weeks cast? And will it be a recurring feature?

Riff's text message notification is that clip of Ian Malcolm laughing in Jurassic Park.

The text he got was from Jeff Goldblum. It said "Heh heh hawwww, heh heh heh."

I think the thing I like the most about Dan Ryckert is how readily he admits when he doesn't know something. This is a thing I wish more people did. A lot of people are self-conscious about it and it gets in the way of learning and understanding.

That was the rest of Jeff's text. I guess he was reading this thread.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

zapjackson posted:

I think the thing I like the most about Dan Ryckert is how readily he admits when he doesn't know something. This is a thing I wish more people did. A lot of people are self-conscious about it and it gets in the way of learning and understanding.

That's the thing about Dan Ryckert, the man has absolutely no pretense whatsoever, which is absolutely bizarre when you think that a person as inept and clueless in many ways as he is is the one kind of person who you'd expect to go to great lengths to hide it.

I still don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's definitely commendable. On the other... I dunno.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
It's not particularly ignorant to not know what a mortgage is (especially the specifics), but it is pretty short sighted to automatically assume mortgage = debt = bad; which was pretty much Dan's take on it on the Bombcast.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There's nothing wrong with ignorance, just with stubbornness. There's plenty of poo poo I'm completely ignorant about, undoubtedly including some stuff some of y'all would be baffled by anyone not knowing. Same goes for all of you.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

zapjackson posted:

Riff's text message notification is that clip of Ian Malcolm laughing in Jurassic Park.
I'll take that as "Yes, this will be a recurring feature", so good.

Also, you guys (and by 'you guys', I suppose I actually mean 'Kevin') do the same thing with the Steam figures every time you mention them.

The new record Kevin brought up was for 8.3 million concurrent logins to Steam, and this got compared with active accounts/subscribers of LOL and WoW, and the number of consoles sold. Steam has over 100 million active accounts (that is an account that has played a game or bought something in the last 30 days) as of last September, up from 75 million active accounts last January, which would be the more apt comparison.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

There's nothing wrong with ignorance, just with stubbornness. There's plenty of poo poo I'm completely ignorant about, undoubtedly including some stuff some of y'all would be baffled by anyone not knowing. Same goes for all of you.

Of course everybody does not know some things but otoh I do not make a living presenting my ignorance as an entertainment media product

I don't hate Dan Ryckert as a human being and wish him ill, I just don't like listening to him talk and continually be the center of attention on a podcast I used to like

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
Late night Video Games Newspaper cause I spent all day climbing a mountain!
It was great, pod is fine, here is the link https://soundcloud.com/yesssss-2/vgn3
Oh also it'd be fun to do a mailbag so if you have any burning questions about video games (what's the best one, why is yoshi different colors, etc) e-mail videogamenewspaper@gmail.com and I'll do a separate episode for them when I have a handful.
Thanks! Wow! Woo!

Horrible Butts fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 12, 2015

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SoulChicken posted:

At least you didn't buy a sous vide machine. Or a flight stick.

But I totally did by a fight stick. I regret everything.

And while we're talking about stubbornness, I'm finishing up the last Giant Bomb GOTY podcast. I think I don't really care for Brad now. I don't really care if Destiny's there or not, but the amount of bitching about that stupid game all year long vs the amount of fellating going on in that list argument is pretty impressive. I totally get the whole "It was disappointing because it was supposed to be better, so it can totally be on the list", but I distinctly remember all of them complaining about how all the missions were "fend off waves of attackers while the bored robot scans things" and how all the lore was on that website rather than the game itself. It distinctly sounds like he's trying to justify all the personal and podcast time spent on a game he doesn't really like. It no big deal really, I only listen to the GOTY stuff for background noise, but the apologetic nature of the argument is enough to distract me from what I'm doing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Ryckert has come very far for someone who only escaped the vat he was grown in a year ago.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

But I totally did by a fight stick. I regret everything.

It distinctly sounds like he's trying to justify all the personal and podcast time spent on a game he doesn't really like.

Well he has spent the last few years championing Dota.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Well he has spent the last few years championing Dota.
At least he's also had good things to say about Dota.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

And while we're talking about stubbornness, I'm finishing up the last Giant Bomb GOTY podcast. I think I don't really care for Brad now. I don't really care if Destiny's there or not, but the amount of bitching about that stupid game all year long vs the amount of fellating going on in that list argument is pretty impressive. I totally get the whole "It was disappointing because it was supposed to be better, so it can totally be on the list", but I distinctly remember all of them complaining about how all the missions were "fend off waves of attackers while the bored robot scans things" and how all the lore was on that website rather than the game itself. It distinctly sounds like he's trying to justify all the personal and podcast time spent on a game he doesn't really like. It no big deal really, I only listen to the GOTY stuff for background noise, but the apologetic nature of the argument is enough to distract me from what I'm doing.

The final GOTY 2014 episode was another reason I decided to drop the podcast entirely. Their final GOTY top ten will always be an abomination that doesn't completely satisfy anybody, but Destiny (a game THEY gave a 3/5), Hearthstone, and Mario Kart 8 being on it while BoI: Rebirth got summarily dismissed in part because loving Dan didn't seem to understand what roguelikes even were much less their appeal was kind of like a final straw for me. The current casting crew with Patrick and Vinny out of the room doesn't even play or enjoy videogames I like, much less engage me in any other way. If Jeff got tired of doing it it would be impossible to even listen to.

And since I've spent so much time bitching about the Bombcast in this thread lately, I feel like I should also acknowledge a good goon thing I've been listening to: thanks Thumbs for the Twin Peaks cast. I rewatched the show myself three or four months ago and I'm really enjoying hearing you guys speak seriously at length about something other than videogames.

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 12, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can appreciate the Destiny thing, but those others seem a little "their opinion doesn't gel with mine so gently caress those guys".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

I can appreciate the Destiny thing, but those others seem a little "their opinion doesn't gel with mine so gently caress those guys".

Again, just like the thing earlier where I said "yeah everybody's ignorant about some things but that doesn't mean I find listening to people teach each other what a mortgage is interesting", I don't hate people because their taste is different than mine but when they devote most of their time talking about games to discussing games I don't like and I'm tired of hearing about (Destiny and DOTA 2 being chief offenders in this regard), it doesn't make me want to listen to their podcast.

I like having my positions challenged or my taste expanded, and that's actually one of the things I've found interesting about the Bombcast in the past, but surely you appreciate the point that sometimes a person who doesn't like peaches might become disinterested in listening to a podcast about peaches recorded by peach farmers.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh yeah, I get that part and I'm on board. I'm not super into the current Bombcast lineup, so I more or less stopped listening aside from the GOTYs. I was more responding to the idea that Hearthstone and MK8 being on the list over Rebirth was some kind of cardinal sin when that's 100% just a personal taste thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I like Dota 2, but I think the way Brad handled it was poor. Bringing it up regularly to a bunch that clearly don't give a flying gently caress about it and even making them watch him play it during that one UPF is just dumb. The same goes with Destiny. It really does seem like nothing more than a childish attempt to self affirm that the self described bad game he so loves is worth the time invested. At least Dota had Dan play it that one time to much hilarity.

I'm going to jeep listening/watching though. Top 10s are always kind of bullshit. It's the means I take exception to, not the end. If people decide they don't want to partake anymore that's cool too

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

At least Dota had Dan play it that one time to much hilarity.

Haha, I forgot about that, even as a fan of Dota (at the time at least) that was one of the most hilarious sketches ever on a UPF.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I nearly fell outta my chair when two voices claimed that multiplayer MK8 is "barely playable" with a locked 30 FPS framerate. What the fuuuucccckkk.

I'm just glad the new year stuff is over, enough lists already.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm rounding up a list of my favorite lists. I hope my list of lists gets featured in the best lists of lists of lists.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

On the most recent BFC appendix, you guys were talking about 999 and Gary said he wanted the story without the puzzles. I remember another podcast talking about an iOS port of the game and saying the puzzles were stripped out in favor of a straight-up visual novel where you just choose your path and then read the story. I don't have any experience with it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

TetsuoTW posted:

This is what drove me so insane about the mortgage conversation. Dan doesn't know the details, OK, that's fine, he's rented his entire life, it's completely understandable. The problem was that after having it explained in the most basic of terms (aka, "a loan of some kind"), it seemed like he was willfully rejecting the knowledge. If you know how a car loan works, you are 90% of the way there on how a mortgage works.

After it taking way to long to understand "mortgage = loan", then he went to the "I don't want X, so I don't understand why anyone would ever want X" mindset of a three-year-old, and the conversation reached a new level of frustrating-to-listen-to.

On a negative/positive scale, my opinion of Dan is absolutely indifferent, but that opinion is an average taken from the two extremes of 50% completely annoyed-by, and 50% completely entertained-by. Nothing that comes out of Dan's mouth is in any sort of middle ground.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 12, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That's why I just shrug off half of that stuff as an act. He's like a four-star chef going cross-country to sample greasy diner food and making googly-eyes at the camera over a burger with an egg and a slice of ham on it - hamming it up to excite the audience.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

On the most recent BFC appendix, you guys were talking about 999 and Gary said he wanted the story without the puzzles. I remember another podcast talking about an iOS port of the game and saying the puzzles were stripped out in favor of a straight-up visual novel where you just choose your path and then read the story. I don't have any experience with it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

That's awesome. I'm on my way!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
And to be fair, as someone who likes the stuff they generally put out, the GOTY podcasts on Giant Bomb were bad. Not from a pick perspective, but 5+ hours is too long to hear anyone argue about anything. I'd have appreciated an hour long episode where the picks are announced and explained but it was too much as it is. (I did listen but I was stuck in a car for 11 hours twice this holiday so I was looking for stuff to listen to)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ulta posted:

And to be fair, as someone who likes the stuff they generally put out, the GOTY podcasts on Giant Bomb were bad. Not from a pick perspective, but 5+ hours is too long to hear anyone argue about anything. I'd have appreciated an hour long episode where the picks are announced and explained but it was too much as it is. (I did listen but I was stuck in a car for 11 hours twice this holiday so I was looking for stuff to listen to)

It was worth it for the awkward collective listening to the Donkey Kong soundtrack

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I enjoyed all but 1 hour of the GOTY podcast, it was only really the Destiny stuff at the end when it stopped being a 9 man conversation and just Brad vs. the world. The Vinny/Alex dynamic throughout was fantastic, especially when talking about Shitbot and bringing up Police. Enforcer. Crime. Action.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
This would never happen ever but everybody should wait until, like, June to do their lists. Think of all the games they would have played by then!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I enjoyed the whole collection of the GOTY stuff they did, seemed fun. I like the bullshitting style of the podcast though.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Kole, I got my Philips Lightbox around the time you did and I've found it helpful. Its beyond a placebo affect for sure, feels a bit like having a coffee without the "wired" feeling. I use it every morning without thinking about it now. Have found I can wreck my sleep if I use it in the evening. Have you found it helpful?

Furthermore, if I have mixed up Kole and Gary again, I never remember who is who here.

Kweh...

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Mine's been great when I've remembered to use it. The past month and a half has been filled with travel (a lot of family stuff, spending time in my home town), so I haven't been able to stick to my usual routines and habits. There's a marked difference between days where I use it and days when I don't.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Timett posted:

This would never happen ever but everybody should wait until, like, June to do their lists. Think of all the games they would have played by then!

The 2BF guys only did their 2013 GOTY stuff the other week. I think they might be onto something.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
A Bonfireside Chat question:

I've been listening along with my first (very late) Dark Souls playthrough, and just reached the Anor Londo spoiler gate. Are the spoilers entirely story-based, or are there somehow gameplay spoilers?

My ability to piece together the story so far is entirely based on discussions in the previous episodes, and unless they really shake up the way it unfolds in the rest of the game, I expect I'd appreciate it more alongside a spoiler-y unpacking on BSC? I just wouldn't want any gameplay-centric reveals spoiled, if any exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

A little column A, a little column B. I think we manage to avoid explicit callouts and reveals of things that happen in other end-game areas, but each of the non-linear parts of the game exist in comparison to the others.

If you play the areas in the order we cover them, you should be safe. If you don't want to be held to that, you should also be relatively safe. Any lengthy or explicit discussion of an area's gimmick is saved for that area's episode.

• Locked thread