Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

My first loving goal was called off by some bullshit loving call by the ref. We don't even know what the bullshit loving call was, because he mumbled the gently caress out of whatever it was. Best we can figure, he thought the net came off its lodging (IT loving DIDN'T) or the goalie was interfered with/someone was in the crease (more likely).

i wonder why the ref didn't explain it to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On my Saturday game, we were on a PK and cleared the puck.. ref blew it dead and called icing. :downs:

He handled it well though, entire bench booed him and he took a bow. His partner gave him a bunch of poo poo too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

On my Saturday game, we were on a PK and cleared the puck.. ref blew it dead and called icing. :downs:

He handled it well though, entire bench booed him and he took a bow. His partner gave him a bunch of poo poo too.

I've seen this happen a handful of times and is always comical.

In ironic cagenews, a teammate and I ran smack into each other last night. His helmet went right into my chin and he completely laid me out, helmet bounced off the ice. I've had a dull headache ever since and my jaw is killing me. gently caress.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Our 7-6 lead went to an 8-7 loss in the final 1:30 of our game on Wednesday. I didn't see the first call but we took a soft penalty late, then on the ensuing PP the net was knocked off about 6". Our entire bench was shouting at the ref to notice it and whistle play, he didn't, one of their players went over and tried to put the net back on during play (and failed) and after the puck went into the corner our goalie gave the post a push to show that the net was off. He got called for delay of game. 2 goals on the ensuing 5-on-3/5-on-4 and we lost.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Where'd they put the faceoff?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

Where'd they put the faceoff?

At their end of the ice, faceoff dot near where the puck crossed the goal line.

Which seemed odd to me at the time but a google when I got home confirmed that's the correct spot so as to not penalize the PK team for a successful clear.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

In ironic cagenews, a teammate and I ran smack into each other last night. His helmet went right into my chin and he completely laid me out, helmet bounced off the ice. I've had a dull headache ever since and my jaw is killing me. gently caress.

I thought you wore a visor?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

that poo poo is the worst man, don't rush back.

I don't have any j clips on my helmet, haven't for years, but I should get them added after reading stuff like this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

I thought you wore a visor?

Well this was Bronze league, where cage is required. Even in Silver, which is the lowest level we can wear visors, I still wear a cage though. My face is too beautiful to mess up. Only time I wore a visor (tinted of course!) was the pond hockey tournament I went to.

sellouts posted:

that poo poo is the worst man, don't rush back.

I don't have any j clips on my helmet, haven't for years, but I should get them added after reading stuff like this.

Is there an advantage to not wearing J clips? I have them on and can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want them, unless the chin cup doesn't actually make it to your chin or something.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

xzzy posted:

At their end of the ice, faceoff dot near where the puck crossed the goal line.

Which seemed odd to me at the time but a google when I got home confirmed that's the correct spot so as to not penalize the PK team for a successful clear.

Yeah, this is a recent rule change. It used to be a center ice drop for an error on icings but this seems fairer to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is there an advantage to not wearing J clips? I have them on and can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want them, unless the chin cup doesn't actually make it to your chin or something.

I bought a helmet for 20 dollars that was configured for a visor and pulled my cage from growing up on an old helmet and put it on there. For some reason I didn't take the j clips. I think the screws fell out from old helmet

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The screws on one my J clips fell out back in Midgets and I didn't repair it. Took an elbow to the chin and the facemask offered no protection, since there was nothing keeping it from slamming my jaw into my skull. Got a concussion for my troubles.

Keep your J clips on and in working order, 'K?

(My helmet fit fine, chin cup against the chin, and I was wearing a mouthguard that was properly fitted and in good shape.)

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 13, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I look like beaker from the muppets and always worry about the fit of my helmet. I think I'm doomed for hot brains as soon as anybody even so much as looks at my non-chin.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I usually use white tap and the first "loop" I keep centered very carefully. I then can use the tape as a guideline the rest of the way.

Always heal to toe.

Also on my beginner team I play goalie for had someone come on with skate guards on. poo poo was hilarious.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

i wonder why the ref didn't explain it to you

Sellouts I love your posts, also I know you sent me an email a long time ago when I got into the hobby, but send me another so I have it. I guess Ace and I have our first game at sometime Sunday, would be cool to say hi again if you're there.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

The only dude on my team that I actively disliked would take super-long shifts while barely skating (and puck chasing defensively as a winger) and then take dumb crosschecking / slashing penalties. He quit after the fall session because he was tired of people on the bench yelling at him to change :toot:

Turns out he didn't actually quit and his first game back he boarded some dude that then thought I did it and took a run at me and tried to fight me :jerkbag:

He actually played ok other than that though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Sellouts I love your posts, also I know you sent me an email a long time ago when I got into the hobby, but send me another so I have it. I guess Ace and I have our first game at sometime Sunday, would be cool to say hi again if you're there.

Will do.

I have a bye this week but remind me of your team name and I will look to see when the games are close to mine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, who's done this before?
https://vine.co/v/ODdUuWYMDn1

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Last night I made a much longer trek than normal to try out a new rink (The Rinks/Lakewood Ice) for an adult clinic on the suggestion of a friend because the group is closer to our skill level. Previously, I've only been able to do stick time by myself or pickup games against people who have played college or junior and skate circles around me to the point where I'll be lucky if I touch the puck at all. This was so much better because I was actually able to make some plays and work on things, it's just a shame that it can take up to an hour to get there depending on traffic. I feel a lot more motivated after last night because I now know that there's enough people out there for me to join a league soon, I think I'll just need to work a lot on conditioning so that I can actually play full games up to speed.

Hockey :swoon:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Haha, I love how he just runs away.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Teeter posted:

Last night I made a much longer trek than normal to try out a new rink (The Rinks/Lakewood Ice) for an adult clinic on the suggestion of a friend because the group is closer to our skill level. Previously, I've only been able to do stick time by myself or pickup games against people who have played college or junior and skate circles around me to the point where I'll be lucky if I touch the puck at all. This was so much better because I was actually able to make some plays and work on things, it's just a shame that it can take up to an hour to get there depending on traffic. I feel a lot more motivated after last night because I now know that there's enough people out there for me to join a league soon, I think I'll just need to work a lot on conditioning so that I can actually play full games up to speed.

Yeah, this was tough for me at first, too. I would go to stick time and if a pick-up game broke out, I didn't touch the puck for the rest of the day. Not that I'm great now, but at least I'm in position more often and people aren't afraid to pass to me once in a while. :unsmith:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

I did something like it in a clinic but it was two guys in line, not the doorway. Took the three of us down and almost got the split but the fourth guy stayed on his skates.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Teeter posted:

AceThomas and I played a "rookie" league there last season. Rookie was a loose term as there was probably only a handful of rookies spread among the four teams. I had fun, it was my first team experience with hockey, previous to that I had only played a 4 on 4 at a stick time. What city are you in? There are a lot of rinks in the Southbay, I would think you could find something closer.

I had to drive about 30 minutes to Lakewood to find that rookie league, but I would say it was really between aluminum and copper anywhere else, so if you have a closer rink and you're just not too sure about it I say just go for it.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I was watching some of Pure Hockey's videos and the equipment manager of the Bruins said Chara uses a 145 flex. That's insane. I've held a 110 flex stick and I thought that was as stiff as metal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

Uh hi new so cal hockey friend. Let's go to a stick time!

Where do you live? The Torrance rink (IceAngeles is the league) is 100% committed to being the first league new players join. They have an aluminum league that they have specifically for never-evers and move good players/teams up regularly to keep the league balanced. They have 4 (technically 5) divisions of bronze and lower whereas most rinks have 2. You won't feel like the only rookie in the league and I can't say enough about it for new players.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Finally scored on a breakaway for the first time tonight (while playing as a d-man). I had rotated up the wall with the opposing forward, who panicked and sent it back to his d-man. I blocked his dump-in, chipped it around him, and took off, getting a step on the forward who was scrambling back to cover for the d-man caught flat-footed at the blue line. I was alone from the opposing blue line on in. Usually, I brainfart and just shoot directly into the crest. This time I picked my spot and put it in over the goalie's blocker-side shoulder, thought he got a piece of it. Feels good man.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I also had a really clean breakaway last night. The last few games I've been hanging out just behind the D at about center ice. As soon as my d man turns the corner coming from behind the net, I cut middle and try to get the long bomb pass. Yesterday it worked flawlessly. I attempted to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qovCnsw1kCQ. A move that I've only tried in scrimmages for fun and never in a game. Ended up having a foot wide open net and hitting the post. Sad days. I probably would have had a super d-bag celebration as well.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vital Signs posted:

The last few games I've been hanging out just behind the D at about center ice.
How often does this result in you being half a rink away from where you're needed defensively, versus the one time so far you've cherrypicked for the stretch pass?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went to public skate the other day and actually did crossovers to the point where I felt like I was gaining speed from them rather than just doing the motion awkwardly. Still having trouble with stopping and it's hard to commit to a stop when I don't have gear on at public skate but it's nice to be making progress!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

In the last two games I've been credited with a goal that I didn't touch the puck for but didn't get credit for the goal where I actually beat a defender and slid a shot in from a pretty bad angle - I didn't even see it go in, just heard the 'thunk' as it hit the metal, my best goal ever I think. Stats wise it's a wash but I still feel slighted. Stupid refs.

And this week is a bye week so I can't even try to redeem myself by scoring a goal and getting credit for it at the same time. Grrr.

That being said, thank you thread once again for convincing me to buy a composite stick. Holy crap what a difference over that lumber I was carrying before. I can pick the puck off the boards make plays! and shoot! Sort of. But better than before!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vital Signs posted:

I also had a really clean breakaway last night. The last few games I've been hanging out just behind the D at about center ice.

I probably would have had a super d-bag celebration as well.

Don't worry you nailed it without the celly

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ate too much too soon before my game last night and have been battling a stomach bug all week. Guess how I played?

Terribly and I ran out of gas in the 2nd period.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Pleads posted:

How often does this result in you being half a rink away from where you're needed defensively, versus the one time so far you've cherrypicked for the stretch pass?
Defense? I play wing. By sitting at around center Ice I draw the D back to create more space for the center to catch a break out pass, or to get the stretch pass. This is a pretty common tactic for breakouts.

sellouts posted:

Don't worry you nailed it without the celly
Good post.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

Defense? I play wing. By sitting at around center Ice I draw the D back to create more space for the center to catch a break out pass, or to get the stretch pass. This is a pretty common tactic for breakouts.

Is this a serious post?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Vital Signs posted:

At drop-ins.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vital Signs posted:

Defense? I play wing.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Haha, I love how no one can tell the difference between what's a joke and what's not. Good stuff.

E: Don't worry, I cover the point when the other team has the puck like a good wing should.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean to be fair I spent pretty much our entire last game farting around near our own blue line when the puck was in our zone, but that was because we only had 7 skaters and only 3 of those were natural forwards and I only got to sit down once during the game and our team strategy was literally to chip it into the neutral zone and let me "do something".

Beer league hockey is the best hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

Haha, I love how no one can tell the difference between what's a joke and what's not. Good stuff.

Hockey is a serious game, you have to treat it with respect. You don't want to make Don Cherry cry, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

bewbies posted:

I mean to be fair I spent pretty much our entire last game farting around near our own blue line when the puck was in our zone, but that was because we only had 7 skaters and only 3 of those were natural forwards and I only got to sit down once during the game and our team strategy was literally to chip it into the neutral zone and let me "do something".

Beer league hockey is the best hockey.
For my first serious post of the day, I will say that I don't jump past the blue line and try to get behind the D until our team obtains control of the puck. If the puck is up for grabs or the other team has it, I'm blocking off the D from a pass or chance.

Playing center when you only have 7 or 8 guys is brutal. Can't really do anything other than chip it in when you're dead tired.

xzzy posted:

Hockey is a serious game, you have to treat it with respect. You don't want to make Don Cherry cry, do you?
My goal is to be as much like Ovechkin as possible, which I know will set him off.