Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

His life's true calling was janitor work on the death star. He turned on the trash compactor that Luke & Co. fell into and spilled coffee on the control console for the door on the vent that the rebels used to destroy the Deathstar.

Some force sensitive Ewoks built a statue dedicated to him after learning that his bumbling secretly allowed the rebels to triumph over the Empire.

He went to space high school with Han Solo, but wasn't very ambitious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

His life's true calling was janitor work on the death star. He turned on the trash compactor that Luke & Co. fell into and spilled coffee on the control console for the door on the vent that the rebels used to destroy the Deathstar.

Doesn't seem plausible enough. How about the console itself was force sensitive, and committed suicide to help the alliance (and it's long-time friend, The Janitor)?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Janitor did a brief stint as a bounty hunter cleaning up scum and villainy but even he was too extreme for Vader's request, so he put on a Trandoshan costume he found in the first Death Star compactor and went under the alias Bossk

Lucky for Han, Fett got there first

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

Honestly we need a Star Wars EU Tropes thing, there's so many repeating bullshit gimmicks, like the 'thing develops force sensitive powers' crap. It's been done on droids, people, rocks, dumb animals, probably even household appliances.

Species of animals being force sensitive to a degree never bothered me since I viewed it somewhat like sharks having their sixth sense or whatever, or cats being able to hear sounds we can't. Not like the ability to use lightening or anything, but just being somewhat force enhanced.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Komojo posted:

Words Star Wars fans use all the time that are never spoken in the original trilogy (correct me if I'm wrong):

- Cantina
- Yavin
- Sith
- Palpatine
- Darth Sidious
- Mandalorian
- Arubesh/Basic (language)
- Ewok

- Youngling
- Padawan

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dog buttz posted:

Species of animals being force sensitive to a degree never bothered me since I viewed it somewhat like sharks having their sixth sense or whatever, or cats being able to hear sounds we can't. Not like the ability to use lightening or anything, but just being somewhat force enhanced.

Force Sensitive cat-sharks that exclusively shoot lightning at things

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Force Sensitive cat-sharks that exclusively shoot lightning at things

Take out the word sharks and exclusively and that's already a thing.

Technically cat people but whatever.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

At one point Maan comes to the startling realisation that the entire Death Star is force sensitive and chose to have an obvious weakness so it could be destroyed, as it no longer wishe to be used as a weapon! Gaaarbagge Maan must then face the moral dilemma; report the Death Star itself for a promotion, or get off the Death Star and being his own Jedi training?

This really is too easy.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Keenshot Prottorp was a sentient force-sensitive proton torpedo that lived inside Luke Skywalker's X-Wing fighter missile tube. During the Battle of Yavin, he was accidentally shot at the death star and would have forced himself to miss the small exhaust port to survive, but he sensed in the force that the death star must be destroyed for the rebellion's cause and sacrificed his life by redirecting himself inside the exhaust tube, destroying the death star, winning the battle and saving the rebel base from destruction

i want to kill myself for writing that

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 12, 2015

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hingehead posted:

- AT AT
- AT ST
- TIE bomber
- TIE interceptor
- Advanced TIE fighter
- Slave One
- Wampa
- Snow Trooper
- Royal guard
- Rancor
- Snow Speeder
- Land speeder
- Speeder Bike
- Biker Scout

Thanks god for all these toys and E.U. explanations, right?

Pretty sure threepio says Rancor in RotJ. "Oh no, it's the Rancor" when Luke gets dropped in.

Also I'm pretty sure some of these things come from the script as like stage directions. Like, they may not say speeder bike but it was called the speeder bike in the "Luke jumps from Leias speeder bike onto the other one" part of the script. Same with TIE fighters. I am curious about the name of Fett's Ship. And honestly Wampa. I can't say I know where those came from.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Komojo posted:

Words Star Wars fans use all the time that are never spoken in the original trilogy (correct me if I'm wrong):

- Cantina
- Yavin
- Sith
- Palpatine
- Darth Sidious
- Mandalorian
- Arubesh/Basic (language)
- Ewok

- Autism

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

At one point Maan comes to the startling realisation that the entire Death Star is force sensitive and chose to have an obvious weakness so it could be destroyed, as it no longer wishe to be used as a weapon! Gaaarbagge Maan must then face the moral dilemma; report the Death Star itself for a promotion, or get off the Death Star and being his own Jedi training?

This really is too easy.

But how did the death star become force sensitive? Easy. The disturbance in the force caused by the death of billions of individuals on Alderaan was essentially a "wave" of force energy. While this wave did expand in all directions, the majority of it followed the path of destruction backwards, leading to the death star. The death star essentially became a "force nexus", turning it's systems into a brain and gaining a soul made of force energy.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

dog buttz posted:

But how did the death star become force sensitive? Easy. The disturbance in the force caused by the death of billions of individuals on Alderaan was essentially a "wave" of force energy. While this wave did expand in all directions, the majority of it followed the path of destruction backwards, leading to the death star. The death star essentially became a "force nexus", turning it's systems into a brain and gaining a soul made of force energy.

Vader was able to communicate with the Death Star in secrecy without the Emperor's knowledge. The Death Star was informed of the prophecy and the balance of the force, understood that it was Vader that has to bring balance. At the battle of Yavin, the Death Star tricked Grand Moff Tarkin and many other crews aboard the station into believing they were in control of the Death Star when in fact it was the Death Star in full control. The Death Star commanded Vader to take off as to ensure his survival and the completion of the prophecy of the balance of the force as the Death Star deliberately opened the thermal vent for the Rebels to attack. The Death Star knew it was important that Luke is to survive the battle as Luke is also the key to the balance of the force, to do that, the Death Star ensured the turbo lasers would never hit Luke AND it self destructed at its own will. The Proton torpedo never blew up the death star's core reactor as the proton's capacity was limited enough to a point where it did absolutely nothing. The sentient battlestation fooled both Rebels and Imperials as it set Vader on the path to the balance of the force. It was not until 30 years after the event of Battle of Endor when scavengers discovered yet another secret recordings made by Lord Vader before the final moments leading up to the fulfillment of the prophecy. In that recording, Vader admitted to having force telepathic conversations with the first Death Star. The scavengers reported the findings to the New Republic to which the New Republic recognized the first Death Star as a legitimate sentient lifeform with a conscious mind, willpower and emotions. In an act of recognition, bravery, honor and sacrifices, the new republic erected a plague in the memorial square on Coruscant.

This poo poo is loving easy. I wish I had worked for the E.U. novels.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Did anyone ever write anything from the perspective of R2D2, or like directly translate his beeps so the reader knew what he was saying at all times.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

david... posted:

Did anyone ever write anything from the perspective of R2D2, or like directly translate his beeps so the reader knew what he was saying at all times.

Yes!

SF Debris' Astromech Spy.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Did anyone make a book where Obi Wan gets addicted to space heroin and drops suppositories into a sarlaac pit and needs to crawl in

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Was hoping for some dumb adventures of R2 that strips him of any mystery, but this works!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just remembered the scene from I, Jedi where some bar dudes are making fun of the main character for being from Corellia and he starts sarcastically saying a bunch of irl "you might be a redneck if..." jokes but about Corellians instead of rednecks, and then he beats them all up. This guy posted a fanfiction on a forum I read in middle school and copypasted this entire segment but with the names and places swapped out, and I called him on it and he got made fun of. This is not the first time I was involved in a fanfiction plagiarism incident on those forums.

Anyway that's the EU thing that makes me cringe the most.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Which Sith Lord was that again?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

Which Sith Lord was that again?

Darth Spectrum

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

One thing that writers can't help but do it put their own boring lives into their books, and one thing they desperately want to avoid is reading each other's books for continuity sake, so everyone is always drinking fancy space coffee, and here's what coffee is called in far distant space land:

- Coffee
- Coffeine
- Caf
- Stimcaf
- Javarican Espresso
- Spiran Caf
- Vine-Caf
- Vine-Coffeine
- Vine-Coffee
- Espcaf

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

theironjef posted:

One thing that writers can't help but do it put their own boring lives into their books, and one thing they desperately want to avoid is reading each other's books for continuity sake, so everyone is always drinking fancy space coffee, and here's what coffee is called in far distant space land:

- Coffee
- Coffeine
- Caf
- Stimcaf
- Javarican Espresso
- Spiran Caf
- Vine-Caf
- Vine-Coffeine
- Vine-Coffee
- Espcaf

-tapcaf

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The tea list is also hilarious. Tanque tea, which according to the references "Tanque tea made its first appearance in MedStar I: Battle Surgeons, a 2004 Clone Wars novel written by Steve Perry and Michael Reaves as the first part of the MedStar Duology"

Jesus there were a fuckload of these books, weren't there. Two books about clone doctors during the clone war?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

theironjef posted:

The tea list is also hilarious. Tanque tea, which according to the references "Tanque tea made its first appearance in MedStar I: Battle Surgeons, a 2004 Clone Wars novel written by Steve Perry and Michael Reaves as the first part of the MedStar Duology"

Jesus there were a fuckload of these books, weren't there. Two books about clone doctors during the clone war?

Holy poo poo I read the MedStar books. There was a mercenary working for the republic who was so lethal in martial arts that the Jedi in the book argued he was a murderer for engaging in hand-to-hand combat against enemy troops because they had no hope of beating him.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

dog buttz posted:

Holy poo poo I read the MedStar books. There was a mercenary working for the republic who was so talented at martial arts that the Jedi in the book argued he was a murderer for engaging in hand-to-hand combat against enemy troops because they had no hope of beating him.

Wait... if he was working for the republic, wouldn't the enemy troops be just drioids? Maybe Geonosians?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There was one where Luke is sipping an exotic beverage that Lando introduced him to, called Hot Chocolate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hingehead posted:

- Rancor
- Snow Speeder

"Oh no, the Rancor!" C-3P0

"Are the Speeders ready? Not yet, we're having trouble adapting them to the cold."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

There was one where Luke is sipping an exotic beverage that Lando introduced him to, called Hot Chocolate.

Whoa, this sounds like it got sexy

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jace Madan posted:

Wait... if he was working for the republic, wouldn't the enemy troops be just drioids? Maybe Geonosians?

Nope, they were duros because otherwise it couldn't be murder.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Oh no, the Rancor!" C-3P0

"Are the Speeders ready? Not yet, we're having trouble adapting them to the cold."

To be fair, the rancor part happens a split second in a moment of chao. As for the speeder, they don't outright call it snowspeeder.

Oh yeah I found a few more

- Wicket
- Gammorean Guard
- Bib Fortuna
- Mon Calimari Cruiser
- Prune face
- B Wing ( That we only saw for a split second in a far distance shot)
- A wing
- Blockade Runner
- Tantive IV
- Ugnaught
- Lobot
- Dengar / IG-88 / Bossk / 4 Lom / Zuckess

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

dog buttz posted:

Holy poo poo I read the MedStar books. There was a mercenary working for the republic who was so lethal in martial arts that the Jedi in the book argued he was a murderer for engaging in hand-to-hand combat against enemy troops because they had no hope of beating him.

Yeah because nothing says fair like a laser sword that block bullets, can only be stopped by other laser swords and magical powers.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

theironjef posted:

One thing that writers can't help but do it put their own boring lives into their books, and one thing they desperately want to avoid is reading each other's books for continuity sake, so everyone is always drinking fancy space coffee, and here's what coffee is called in far distant space land

"Wanna buy some death sticks?"

Also I looked them up on wookieepedia to see how they were spelt (like dethstix or some poo poo) and found this gem:

quote:

When ingested, the drug was capable of greatly weakening a person's connection to the Force.

:cripes:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

that implies your force powers can be improved by taking a different substance like midichlorian supplements or forceroids

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

david... posted:

that implies your force powers can be improved by taking a different substance like midichlorian supplements or forceroids

quote:

Author Kevin J. Anderson noted that some "politically correct" individuals at Lucasfilm almost forced Anderson to characterize spice as a "food additive" in the Jedi Search out of concern for characterizing Han as a "drug dealer" during his smuggling days. The matter was brought up to George Lucas, who confirmed that spice is a drug. Anderson compromised by adding positive qualities to the substance instead of categorizing it as a damaging substance like crystal meth. [3]

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Han Solo CAN'T be morally ambiguous! He's got to be a HERO! :qq:

Besides only EU toiletlords said Han smuggled spice, so it's their own dumb fault. The movies certainly didn't specify him as a drug dealer, or a "spice smuggler".

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

So George himself actually said something which makes sense and is good and they wanted to stop it? And had enough clout they partially did by at least saying that the illegal drugs have an effect of making you awesome and sexy?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I wonder what the bio is of the "Stay on target" guy. Probably some 5000 character bio about he's not a scrub that got waxed by a Vader Tie fighter lackey and instead some decorated war hero that turned the tide of multiple random battles against the Empire.

Also, he grew up with Han Solo / Luke Skywalker / Leia / Obi Wan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lote posted:

I wonder what the bio is of the "Stay on target" guy. Probably some 5000 character bio about he's not a scrub that got waxed by a Vader Tie fighter lackey and instead some decorated war hero that turned the tide of multiple random battles against the Empire.

Also, he grew up with Han Solo / Luke Skywalker / Leia / Obi Wan.

He actually didn't really do poo poo and is one of the only characters who is just kinda there in the EU

quote:

Since at least 20 BBY,[3] the Human male[1] Davish Krail flew starfighters,[3] and over the course of his career, he fought in many engagements. He had kept the same helmet over the years, and eventually it was battered to a state that it was no longer useful. One of Krail's friends during his earlier flying years was Garven Dreis,[4] who flew with the Rarefied Air Cavalry.[5] By the time of his joining the Alliance to Restore the Republic, he was a veteran pilot,[3] and was given command of a BTL Y-wing starfighter squadron at the Alliance's base on Dantooine.[6] Also serving at the base was Krail's old friend, Dreis.[7]

With younger pilots such as Ryle Torsyn under his command,[6] Krail eventually came to be known as "Pops," since he was in his elder years while serving the Alliance.[4] He was later assigned to Jon Vander's Y-wing Gold Squadron, and flew as Vander's wingman under the call sign of "Gold 5."[3] Krail personally supervised all maintenance and repairs on his Y-wing.[8] He and his comrades were transferred[6] when the Alliance was later forced to abandon the Dantooine base and relocate to the Great Temple of Yavin 4.[1]

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So George himself actually said something which makes sense and is good and they wanted to stop it? And had enough clout they partially did by at least saying that the illegal drugs have an effect of making you awesome and sexy?

Han Solo was a drug runner and by all accounts not a very good one.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

I... What.... NO! God drat it, for a group of people that consistently sperg out over every little detail, how the hell can people miss what's right in their faces? Even if you ignore the fact that the shot was there just as eye candy, she was a SLAVE. She was forced to wear that stupid outfit. Lil' Leia in a gold bikini would be like the direct son of a freed slave putting on a loin cloth, an ox shoulder thing, and run around spouting "Yessa massa I'm'a pickin da cottin!" in front of everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think the pedo angle is worse than any story or lore conflict.

quote:

"I want to see a preteen in a sexy slave girl outfit. Even if it's a joke I don't care I JUST WANT TO loving SEE IT OHGOD"

:pedo:

• Locked thread