Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

pandaK posted:

Hmm, I think I found my first complaint about my note 4. The right half of the screen is a bit unresponsive when using the stylus. Additionally, the little circle indicator is offset by like a millimeter when I hover the right side. Fingers work perfectly fine along with the left side with the stylus. Though the issue is very minor (I have to actually press down on the right side with the stylus whereas the left activates with a cursory glide), is there a way to calibrate my screen properly to eliminate this issue?

As an addendum, the offset circle is when the stylus is straight upright

I'd consider returning it for a replacement, mine doesn't do any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I went with the Note 4 instead of a Nexus 6 because if I'm spending that much on a loving phone I better be able to replace the battery and expand the storage. What the gently caress even, Google, nobody wants your cloud bullshit
Are we going back to buying physical media and having landlines, too? Manually tagging and managing music? Syncing with a wire like a bitch?

I think I'll stick with :yaycloud: thanks.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I really don't get the removable battery thing. It's like "hey, we know the battery life is poo poo, so have another!" Seems to me that making a built in one that lasts a decent amount of time is better than giving you the option to swap out inferior ones.

And the cloud stuff actually works pretty well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Makes it easier to swap out the battery when it wears out a year or two down the track.

Not useful for day to day though as shutting down and restarting the phone is actually more painful than just plugging into an external power source (especially if you need to swap the now flat battery back into the phone to recharge it)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Are we going back to buying physical media and having landlines, too? Manually tagging and managing music? Syncing with a wire like a bitch?

You don't bother syncing Samsung phones because Kies will never ever ever work. At least that was my experience with about four phones.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Variable_H posted:

I really don't get the removable battery thing. It's like "hey, we know the battery life is poo poo, so have another!" Seems to me that making a built in one that lasts a decent amount of time is better than giving you the option to swap out inferior ones.

Some people just want backup batteries like if they know they're going to be away from a charger for some time or if the battery is broken in some way. Batteries being removable and their quality are unrelated.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

zerocrash posted:

Some people just want backup batteries like if they know they're going to be away from a charger for some time or if the battery is broken in some way. Batteries being removable and their quality are unrelated.

External battery packs are cheap, common, and useful enough that this reason for wanting a removable battery isn't that great anymore either.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Variable_H posted:

Apparently most batteries seriously degrade after 2 years or so, so having the option to replace it seems pretty nice.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kaluza-Klein posted:

- How different is the Sony android from stock?

I'm trying to determine how annoyed I will be that I may have to stick with the stock rom!

Also, has anyone regretted getting the Compact instead of the regular or vice versa? If so, why?

Sony's UI isn't much different than the regular stock Android UI. There are some minor colour changes and UX differences here and there and a few apps that are fairly superfluous, but nothing slows the phone down. I had used a Moto G for several months before this. The Sony default launcher is a bit laggy, but I've been using Nova and it's lighting fast.

I initially got the Z3 and kept it for 2 weeks before swapping it for a Z3 Compact. The Z3 was a beautifully-made phone and performed like a dream, but for one-handed use, it was just too unwieldy for me . I almost dropped it a few times and I rarely drop my phones.

The Z3 Compact is basically the perfect balance, to me, of size and performance. I've noticed no difference in 2GB RAM vs the 3GB in the regular Z3. The screen isn't just as sharp on the Compact obviously, but the comfort in my hand is enough compensation.

I love this little guy. Best phone I've owned.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I'm not sure where to ask this but what's the best way to unlock a G3? Will AT&T do it or should I buy an unlock key?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this but what's the best way to unlock a G3? Will AT&T do it or should I buy an unlock key?

They'll do it if your contract is completed or the phone is paid off, whichever applies to you.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Endless Mike posted:

They'll do it if your contract is completed or the phone is paid off, whichever applies to you.

If it isn't is there a trusted site to do it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doomsday Jesus posted:

ebay and hope for the best. I've used whatever was cheaper on ebay a few times. I figure if they don't work you can always dispute the charge.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Anyone doing it is just a disgruntled AT&T employee that doesn't care if they get fired, so put your expectations at that level.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola has said that their remaining 2013/2014 line is getting lollipop 'really soon.'

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/12/motorola-lollipop-updates-coming-really-soon/

quote:

Updates of this nature take time. It’s no secret that when 5.0 launched it still had bugs. And, when we update our products, we end up finding more bugs that need to be fixed. There are a lot of reasons for what that happen, but, basically, each phone has a unique set of components and a way they interact. When Google creates a new release, they don’t validate it for all the possible combinations there are, and they won’t fix anything that’s not reproducible on a Nexus device, that’s our job.

All I can say is that "really" should really be read as all caps bolded with a 3d drop shadow for certain devices.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

Are you near a 4G connection or wi-fi 100% of the time, forever, always?

If the answer is no then keeping poo poo on the cloud is stupid.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Are you near a 4G connection or wi-fi 100% of the time, forever, always?

If the answer is no then keeping poo poo on the cloud is stupid.

Nah, but the cloud is still awesome. Photos backed up as soon as I take them to Google and Dropbox, music is stored in Google Play and can be pinned when needed or streamed (and not count against my data, thanks T-Mobile), contacts automatically transfer to any device I log into, files/pictures I've saved to Dropbox or Google Drive on a computer can be opened on any device, I don't ever have to worry about a phone dying or getting lost because I won't lose anything. The cloud owns

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't know about Google Music, but Spotify works just fine even on a cruddy 3G connection. Also you can always cache the albums you're currently interested in locally

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Contacts and stuff, sure, whatever, but I'm talking about storage. When you're in an area where you have no service (happens to me often because I have a lot of family that lives in bumfuck nowhere) suddenly you can't access any of your... anything. Sounds very convenient. Call me a luddite, but I'd rather actually have everything that I want to have.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Contacts and stuff, sure, whatever, but I'm talking about storage. When you're in an area where you have no service (happens to me often because I have a lot of family that lives in bumfuck nowhere) suddenly you can't access any of your... anything. Sounds very convenient. Call me a luddite, but I'd rather actually have everything that I want to have.

You can keep local copies of everything on your phone, you're not dependent on data. Dropbox will sync, Google Play Music you can pin songs or albums or playlists, you can set gmail to sync last 30 days locally, etc etc.

You have a very old man view on THE CLOUD.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can keep local copies of everything on your phone, you're not dependent on data. Dropbox will sync, Google Play Music you can pin songs or albums or playlists, you can set gmail to sync last 30 days locally, etc etc.

You have a very old man view on THE CLOUD.

So then we're back to the start, because you're still dependent on the amount of physical data that your phone can hold. 64 GB? That's cute. I'll be over here with my phone that can hold three times as much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

So then we're back to the start, because you're still dependent on the amount of physical data that your phone can hold. 64 GB? That's cute. I'll be over here with my phone that can hold three times as much.

My Nexus 6 is 32GB, and that's more than enough space to hold everything I want when I'm in areas with lovely data and no wifi. Even in a lot of areas I only have 3G, things like Play Music can still stream just fine. I don't need to carry every song ever made with me, just pin a couple playlists then update or change those when I'm back in a "data area". You're being extremely hyperbolic and unrealistic!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Daily Forecast posted:

You are a luddite. Modern :yaycloud: services make use of local caching. Christ, even a Chromebook is useful offline these days.

I mean by all means have an offline backup stashed somewhere, but this viewpoint that you have to carry all your stuff with you at all times... come on; you're a human, not a hermit crab.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Nexus 6 is 32GB, and that's more than enough space to hold everything I want when I'm in areas with lovely data and no wifi. Even in a lot of areas I only have 3G, things like Play Music can still stream just fine. I don't need to carry every song ever made with me, just pin a couple playlists then update or change those when I'm back in a "data area". You're being extremely hyperbolic and unrealistic!

Sorry, but my phone needs to be able to hold AT MINIMUM 4 anime series at 10-bit 1080 quality. Anything less and I'd rather just be without a phone all together!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
If you seriously can't think of more than 32GB (actually even less because of the OS) of stuff to keep on your phone then what are you even doing with a phone

Also, as far as batteries go, "shut down phone, swap battery, power back up, full charge in less than 30 seconds" will never be less convenient than "plug phone into external battery, wait three hours".

edit: Also, considering that the Note 4 is every bit as capable of cloud stuff, I will just not understand the stance of "well I'd RATHER my phone be a crippled piece of poo poo HARRUMPH". Having a removable battery and SD slot adds so much capability and them being present takes away none. So just what is your point? "Yeah well I didn't need it anyway"? That's stupid.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 13, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don't know what I'm doing with a phone then, because this is everything I need right here. As you can see, I've got plenty of space for whatever else I might decide I need.

And I don't need to swap out my battery because I actually charge my phone.

E: also lol at the idea of a phone being a "crippled piece of poo poo" because it doesn't have a replaceable battery or an SD card slot.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 13, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, as far as batteries go, "shut down phone, swap battery, power back up, full charge in less than 30 seconds" will never be less convenient than "plug phone into external battery, wait three hours"

Or just get a Blackberry blade charger and call it good within an hour or so. I'd really like to swap my battery but my Droid Maxx can make it pretty drat long.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

If you seriously can't think of more than 32GB (actually even less because of the OS) of stuff to keep on your phone then what are you even doing with a phone

Streaming stuff from my 2 TB network drive and laughing at this debate.

Seriously, the cloud is there and it's pretty useful. Especially if you aren't a tech wizard.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, as far as batteries go, "shut down phone, swap battery, power back up, full charge in less than 30 seconds" will never be less convenient than "plug phone into external battery, wait three hours".

So then once you get back to civilisation (or at least your car) you have to swap the dead battery back in and wait for it to charge, then swap the other battery in and wait for that to charge too. Whereas with an external you can just plug that in and merrily keep using your phone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This thread is wonderful sometimes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Please don't troll.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Rastor posted:

Android Thread - you're a human, not a hermit crab.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

My Nexus 5 has 32GB of storage, so 24GB after the OS. Right now I have 2GB of storage in use that isn't caches or app data.

What am I even doing? Living in America in 2015 where wifi and LTE coverage is ubiquitous and cheap.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

My Nexus 5 has 32GB of storage, so 24GB after the OS. Right now I have 2GB of storage in use that isn't caches or app data.

What am I even doing? Living in America in 2015 where wifi and LTE coverage is ubiquitous and cheap.

Android takes up 8gb on the nexus 5? :confused:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daily Forecast posted:

If I need so much space, that I can't put all the stuff I need in 32-64 GB I just take a 1 TB 2.5" drive and put it to my phone via OTG, but aside from really long travels (where I usually have a tablet or laptop anyway) I can't think of a scenario where I would need it regularly.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

600 MB for the OS actually. But you need recovery, you need space for updates, you need space for cache, you need all kind of space not being occupied by actual OS files. Also, 32 GB aren't 32 GB.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's about 3GB. Then you lose a couple of gig due to GB!=GiB and the usable space is actually more like 26GB rather than 24. I imagine he was just rounding down a bit since the precision of this number wasn't actually relevant to the point being made.

Edit: beaten, kinda.

Decius posted:

600 MB for the OS actually. But you need recovery, you need space for updates, you need space for cache, you need all kind of space not being occupied by actual OS files. Also, 32 GB aren't 32 GB.
System partition is ~1GB as far as I remember. But yeah, there are other bits, cache etc.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 13, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RE: battery life

Just put my G3 on the charger, at 18% after being on battery for 15 hours and 20 minutes. 4.25 hours of screen on time. Really hurting for that spare battery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

edit: Also, considering that the Note 4 is every bit as capable of cloud stuff, I will just not understand the stance of "well I'd RATHER my phone be a crippled piece of poo poo HARRUMPH". Having a removable battery and SD slot adds so much capability and them being present takes away none. So just what is your point? "Yeah well I didn't need it anyway"? That's stupid.
Nothing is more crippling than Touchwiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing is more crippling than Touchwiz.

Eh, I can't live without muilti-window now.