Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

72 new posts, I wonder what happe......:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I rub my minis under my armpits for that authentic battlefield smell.

You would also need blood and feces to really complete it, not to mention gun powder...

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Holl, putting bones on your models although grim, is a bit too grim.

You never go full grimdark, it just looks weird. Like I get where your coming from and I get all the materials are at least sourced and treated legitly... but its a little too far to go.

Its not wrong per say but verges across the creepy line a little bit.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Any advice on playing 40k at 1,000 points? Seems like Troops are the way to go at lower point games.

Keep your HQs to a minimum at low points values. Anything over 100pts is pretty much an auto-reject, as it's just eating up too much of your army and you won't have enough of a model count to function effectively. There are some rare exceptions, but generally speaking it's a good rule of thumb to follow.

Troop presence will vary a lot. Some armies can get away with spending a lot on troops because theirs are versatile and effective enough for that to work fine; others will suffer pretty badly due to the tax on troops they have to pay taking up a significant portion of the list. Alternate detachment options in 7E make it less of a problem, but it's still something you want to keep an eye on.

Unless you change the size of the table you're playing on (some do, some don't) 1000pt boards will be very empty-feeling; blasts will have very few alternate targets to scatter into, there will be enough cover for essentially every unit to sit behind something if it wants to, and there will be lots of space on the board to maneuver around in. In missions with multiple objectives most armies will find themselves hard-pressed to have any chance at being able to put a unit on all of them, even more so than normal.

Force multipliers (unit buffs, army-wide benefits, etc) have a lot less value per cost in a small game than in a large one; you're typically better off just investing in more models rather than something that buffs your other models.

Small games are very swingy- with so little in each person's army, even just one or two dice rolls can turn a victory into a defeat, and with no redundancy possible in most lists if one of your units gets killed, chances are nothing else in the army will be able to fill in for them.

For several of the above reasons, "unbalanced" lists (i.e. ones that focus heavily on one strategy, often to the exclusion of all others) are particularly problematic- they will more often be able to win big, as few opponents will have enough points available to bring the tools to beat them unless they are specifically expecting to face that particular list. Good examples of this might be Knights, Land Raiders, "deathstar" units, etc.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
1000-1250 games shine on 4x4 tables, but you can unbalance them pretty badly. I played a 1000 point game where I had 100+ wounds on the table with my IG and my opponent just saw there was literally nothing he could do to stop that tide and got steamrolled.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IG can throw down 3 platoons of a command squad, 3 infantry squads, and a heavy weapon squad each and they're all troops. Add in a company commander for some orders shenanigans on the heavy weapons squads and you've got ~120 wounds across 16 units. There was one 1000 pt game that I played where I had more models on the field than the tyranid player did, that was fun times :getin:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Icon Of Sin posted:

IG can throw down 3 platoons of a command squad, 3 infantry squads, and a heavy weapon squad each and they're all troops. Add in a company commander for some orders shenanigans on the heavy weapons squads and you've got ~120 wounds across 16 units. There was one 1000 pt game that I played where I had more models on the field than the tyranid player did, that was fun times :getin:

This is why I take biovores.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
1,000 point game? Sounds like a good time for three flying hive tyrants, a crone, some mucolid spores and a venomthrope to me.

What's that now about not loading up in HQs?

(Don't run this list. Your opponent will hate you)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Escalation campaign is probably some of the most fun you can have 500 to 1000 point battles leading up to a big free for all. 20/40/40 is the best percentage I think for 1000 point games, 20 percent on HQ, 40% on Troops, 40% on anything else.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

LordAba posted:

This is why I take biovores.

I just finished my biovores over the weekend. :3: Looking forward to giving them a run, though I need to paint spore mines now.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Devlan Mud

:iiapa:

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
My sepia washed Necrons are actually liquid poo poo washed

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I remember someone mentioned (maybe even posted pics) of some 'ham's Nurgle army which was based with Chlorine or something.
Why would people add stuff to their minis that could make them smell horrible? The average 'ham is bad enough without making their army try and rival the stench of the owner.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

I remember someone mentioned (maybe even posted pics) of some 'ham's Nurgle army which was based with Chlorine or something.
Why would people add stuff to their minis that could make them smell horrible? The average 'ham is bad enough without making their army try and rival the stench of the owner.

Was it the dude I played at a tournament who based them with rice?

The rice absorbed the PVA glue and stank to high heaven.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If you can paint your cat litter you need to change your litter. The gravelly crystalline stuff is terrible for the environment, and it's not great litter either.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Cataphract posted:

...what? What sort of thought process convinces someone to base their entire army in stinky poo poo?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

Yeah, that's the one! You have my sympathy for having to share a 6x4 table with that stinky mess of an army

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, that's the one! You have my sympathy for having to share a 6x4 table with that stinky mess of an army

Also most of the army were children's toys. He had an Incredible Hulk doll as a daemon prince and a bunch of hippopotamus toys as chaos spawn.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Oh my loving god.

Just use sand people. Please. Just use sand, or some static grass, or some sprue or odd bitz.

Don't use animal carcasses. Don't use faeces, or blood.

Good lord. Why do we even have to make this clear.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Warhammer 40k: In the grim darkness of the future, there is only animal bones on bases

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Most of the sand people use or sell is mixed with crushed bone anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Twisted posted:

Oh my loving god.

Just use sand people. Please. Just use sand, or some static grass, or some sprue or odd bitz.

Don't use animal carcasses. Don't use faeces, or blood.

Good lord. Why do we even have to make this clear.

I'm about to use air hardening modelling clay :eng101:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha, some of you guys are trolled a bit too easily. I agree the rape/slave/skull/flayed skin thing is part of the grimdark setting - the consensus is that realistic gore, scalp heads, loads of HUMAN skulls, skincapes and fleshless corpses on the Night Lords are awesome, but real bone on anything is just too far? I'm sure the rat wasn't hunted down specifically for the model. Once a rat skull is modeled into place and painted, you wouldn't be able to tell if it's plastic or real anyway, until someone tells you. The modelling part of the hobby has a big 'use what you've got' contingent, whether it's cereal boxes and sprue, and some people have a lot of rodents apparently. There's a fine line between 'cool' and 'gross', I guess. I grew up in Texas, though, and knew people with rattlesnake heads on their hats and belts, and actual rabbit feet on their keychains.

Anyway, Skulltitan is neat, but to me it's a bit too much bone/skull to fit the Chaos aesthetic. Maybe less people would be grossed out by it if it were a cartoony-looking He-Man style skull. The Space Wolf guy looks much better, it's the right size and the perfect fit for SW fluff.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hra Mormo posted:

Most of the sand people use or sell is mixed with crushed bone anyway.

These bases, too accurate for sand people.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Didn't think we'd top the crushed glass as flock but...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Didn't think we'd top the crushed glass as flock but...

Asbestos :getin:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've been using Radium based Radioluminescent paint to achieve my glow in the dark effect

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

krushgroove posted:

Ha, some of you guys are trolled a bit too easily.

lol if you think he was trolling

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Pierzak posted:

Asbestos :getin:

Not a bad idea, Crocidolite is a rather fetching shade of blue...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Let me post more wrong opinions about things, such as using loving roadkill to base my warhams. I also have a history of posting really wrong opinions, but woops i was actually le epic trolling you guys with the roadkill basing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If you think any of his posts are serious you have a screw loose.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I emailed FW the other day about making the Darkfire Castellax available in the Cybernetica Battlegroup, and just received this response:

"Thanks for your email. Our bundles are fixed with the products shown in them and so unfortunately we are unable to switch out any of the Castellax for the new Darkfire Cannon varients. We currently don't have any specific information about whether we will produce a bundle for the Darkfire Cannon Castellax, but if we do we'll announce it in our Newsflash Newsletter."

Boo.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I personally skip using Blood For The Blood God, I save $6 AUD and just kidnap neighborhood cats.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Ha, some of you guys are trolled a bit too easily. I agree the rape/slave/skull/flayed skin thing is part of the grimdark setting - the consensus is that realistic gore, scalp heads, loads of HUMAN skulls, skincapes and fleshless corpses on the Night Lords are awesome, but real bone on anything is just too far? I'm sure the rat wasn't hunted down specifically for the model. Once a rat skull is modeled into place and painted, you wouldn't be able to tell if it's plastic or real anyway, until someone tells you. The modelling part of the hobby has a big 'use what you've got' contingent, whether it's cereal boxes and sprue, and some people have a lot of rodents apparently. There's a fine line between 'cool' and 'gross', I guess. I grew up in Texas, though, and knew people with rattlesnake heads on their hats and belts, and actual rabbit feet on their keychains.

Anyway, Skulltitan is neat, but to me it's a bit too much bone/skull to fit the Chaos aesthetic. Maybe less people would be grossed out by it if it were a cartoony-looking He-Man style skull. The Space Wolf guy looks much better, it's the right size and the perfect fit for SW fluff.

uh yeah plastic versions of bones are skin capes are totally normal to use, it's not until you're actually using weird dead poo poo that it gets bizarre. Halloween decorations are all totally loving normal, but if you strew stolen headstones and actual human bones across your front yard instead of plastic ones, that would be really loving weird. 'You can't tell if it's a real rat skull or not!' doesn't make it any less weird to use the carcass of a dead loving animal in a space soldiers toy game. Jesus.

Also yes he specifically mentioned putting out mouse traps to get these rats.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Also yes he specifically mentioned putting out mouse traps to get these rats.

serious gaylord posted:

If you think any of his posts are serious you have a screw loose.

lol

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Giger used animal bones when he made the first alien costume :shrug:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I find it much easier to believe the weird guy who tried really hard to get in goonfleet is in fact probably a strange man comfortable with using dead animals in a toy game and not pulling some masterful long con of 'pretending to be really weird'.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
the rice bases on the nurgle incredible hulk demon army were meant to be maggots, but yeah it stunk and it was gross.

The chlorine was from a proper grognard dude who played Space Wolves at my club when I was 13. The bases looked good but it was shedding powdered chlorine everywhere. Just use baking soda dude.

Also, you guys are pretty precious about some animal bones. One of my favourite requests from a friend who promotes metal /punk show was 'hey man we have some crusty black metal show on can you please bring a few cow skulls? thanks'. But I had him convinced that me and my housemates had a human skull to chop our weed in (we didint, but I did provide the cow skulls)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
congrats on being 'the guy people go to when you need cow skulls' i bet the show was pretty fuckin brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

congrats on being 'the guy people go to when you need cow skulls' i bet the show was pretty fuckin brutal.

it was more goofy than brutal. i just had access to lots of paddocks with cow skulls is all.

• Locked thread