Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
anybody know gently caress all about the patent bar requirements and category b in particular? i wanna know if taking 32 hours of comp sci classes pursuant to a masters degree in comp sci plus eight hours of chem would qualify me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Fun times: explaining to a colleague why describing something as "a Sophie's choice" in a brief may be ill-advised.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

anybody know gently caress all about the patent bar requirements and category b in particular? i wanna know if taking 32 hours of comp sci classes pursuant to a masters degree in comp sci plus eight hours of chem would qualify me

Folly isn't this right up your alley?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The Warszawa posted:

Fun times: explaining to a colleague why describing something as "a Sophie's choice" in a brief may be ill-advised.

please tell me it's a child custody case...please!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
No, thank God.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

No, thank God.

I think your last could custody case probably had to do with tribal adoptions right?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
judgment of the trial court affirmed. BOOM.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

judgment of the trial court affirmed. BOOM.

Congratulations. Love the smell of the other side's smoldering hopes and dreams in the morning.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

"under Option 4, computer science courses that stress theoretical foundations, analysis, and design, and include substantial laboratory work, including software development will be accepted."

You're going to need course descriptions from course catalogs for those years as well as transcripts. Does your undergrad degree not work?

Folly
May 26, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Folly isn't this right up your alley?

Yup, that's very similar to what I did. Just remember, the 8 hours of chemistry has to be consecutive semesters and for chemistry majors. And you'll need to provide pages of the course catalog for every course you're using. Apparently, if you're not qualified they'll tell you why then they write you back and partially refund your fee. You can call them on the phone about the grad school classes. When I called, they were as helpful as the could be without making any commitments.

I assume this would work for you. I did my CS classes in undergrad and used 8 hours of physics. Remember once you apply, if they approve it you have 90 days to schedule your exam. So get ready to hit the ground running once you get your letter. Learn from my mistakes.

edit: I think I recall that they also give you one chance to correct your application if you left out something or they need more information.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

I qualified under category b under similar circumstances (I had tons of science and engineering coursework but my degrees had the wrong names). Just make sure that you give them the materials they need to decide in your favor when you file your application.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Where is this magical school that lets you start an MSCS with zero related undergrad credits because all the grad schools in Texas seem to want at least some coursework.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Elotana posted:

Where is this magical school that lets you start an MSCS with zero related undergrad credits because all the grad schools in Texas seem to want at least some coursework.

U Phoenix.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elotana posted:

I think Georgia Techs online mscs does but you have to prove you can code. Probably the best possible choice since it's only 7k for the degree.

quote:

Applicants who do not meet these criteria will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, however work experience will not take the place of an undergraduate degree. The following are required for admission:
 Evidence of award of a 4-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent (prior to matriculation) from a recognized institution, demonstrated academic excellence and evidence of preparation in their chosen field sufficient to ensure successful graduate study

Folly
May 26, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I think Georgia Techs online mscs does but you have to prove you can code. Probably the best possible choice since it's only 7k for the degree.

ah dammit, I paid $4k for just my physics classes as a non-degree seeking student at the local university. But I do think that the USPTO had a specific line about most "correspondence courses" not being acceptable. I wasn't sure if that applied to online courses or not. So I took my physics classes live specifically to avoid that issue completely.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Okay, so I'm now a month into my new job. My old one left me lots of time for loving around, short commute, etc. My new one is a lot more intense, and involves more sitting and reading alone (I had way more court at the old gig).

I read for fun a lot when I had the old job; now when I get home all I want to do is not loving read.

I'm not going to play elf sex game. What are my other video game options.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Okay, so I'm now a month into my new job. My old one left me lots of time for loving around, short commute, etc. My new one is a lot more intense, and involves more sitting and reading alone (I had way more court at the old gig).

I read for fun a lot when I had the old job; now when I get home all I want to do is not loving read.

You know how you feel when someone wanders in the thread and asks, "hey, what law should I do?" The question is so open-ended as to be impossible to answer. Do you want to personally shoot people in the back of the head? Dispassionately order armies to slaughter thousands? Watch passively as the order to nuke Gandhi goes out? Do you want to play sportsball, or manage a sportsball team? Be an Ace Attorney? All the options are open to you.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Go the gym and, if you must, pretend that you're grinding experience in an RPG.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I passed on elf-sex and went with mindless orc-slaughter---Shadow of Mordor. Straight ultra-violence and basically nothing to read.

Also my case settled before I even picked a jury. I had to do all the prep work to be ready, four years of litigation, and the plaintiffs settle with me a day before we even start. I've said it before: trial is the best part of this job and you never get to do it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Look at this guy being all high and mighty and poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I passed on elf-sex and went with mindless orc-slaughter---Shadow of Mordor. Straight ultra-violence and basically nothing to read.

Also my case settled before I even picked a jury. I had to do all the prep work to be ready, four years of litigation, and the plaintiffs settle with me a day before we even start. I've said it before: trial is the best part of this job and you never get to do it.

Shadow of Mordor is fantastic. If you played the Batman Arkham games, it's like them but better in some ways (caveat: you aren't Batman, so you aren't as cool.)

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Another Monday of pro per divorce reviews, another plaintiff screwed over for using LegalZoom.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Shadow of Mordor is fantastic. If you played the Batman Arkham games, it's like them but better in some ways (caveat: you aren't Batman, so you aren't as cool.)

Yeah, I finally picked this up and it's a great way to clear my head after staring at briefs all day.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

sullat posted:

You know how you feel when someone wanders in the thread and asks, "hey, what law should I do?" The question is so open-ended as to be impossible to answer. Do you want to personally shoot people in the back of the head? Dispassionately order armies to slaughter thousands? Watch passively as the order to nuke Gandhi goes out? Do you want to play sportsball, or manage a sportsball team? Be an Ace Attorney? All the options are open to you.

Okay, I guess it's more like, hey litigators, what games are fun for you?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Maybe there is a plot to that game but so far I've spent all my time running around aimlessly and straight murdering uruk-hai in the most brutal possible manner.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Maybe there is a plot to that game but so far I've spent all my time running around aimlessly and straight murdering uruk-hai in the most brutal possible manner.

Isn't that the point?

I mean I've heard there's some nemesis poo poo later on but uh, have sword, find uruks, stab, seems like a great plan.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Elf sex. Duh.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Elf sex. Duh.

I'd either need a ps4 or a new computer.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'd either need a ps4 or a new computer.

Turn the graphics down and close all other apps. I did not want to wait for new computer. Elves need love now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The obvious alternative to dwarf-on-elf fisting is, clearly, porking blue alien women.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Javid posted:

The obvious alternative to dwarf-on-elf fisting is, clearly, porking blue alien women.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Dota 2. When I get home after a poo poo day I really love getting poo poo on and screamed at by anonymous 13 year olds online who tell me to go gently caress my grandmother how could I lose bottom lane to a loving Naga Siren.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mikeraskol posted:

Dota 2. When I get home after a poo poo day I really love getting poo poo on and screamed at by anonymous 13 year olds online who tell me to go gently caress my grandmother how could I lose bottom lane to a loving Naga Siren.

I think you have a problem man.

I like Football Manager 2014. Them spreadsheets.

(Also still haven't gotten to Lothering.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Warszawa posted:

You sound like you'd like EVE, though you'd need to work on your sociopathy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

The statistical analysis . . . it's so beautiful.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eve is great because when you had a bad day you can make yourself feel better by making someone else's worse.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

evilweasel posted:

You sound like you'd like EVE, though you'd need to work on your sociopathy.

Does EVE let me RP as a cut-rate Diego Simeone, screaming GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL and also saying absurd things about winning?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

Does EVE let me RP as a cut-rate Diego Simeone, screaming GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL and also saying absurd things about winning?
sure

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I can never understand people who get mad at me for having to come back to court when the reason they're coming back to court is the state agreed to seek a deferred prosecution instead of just slamming them with a full misdemeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Folly posted:

Yup, that's very similar to what I did. Just remember, the 8 hours of chemistry has to be consecutive semesters and for chemistry majors. And you'll need to provide pages of the course catalog for every course you're using. Apparently, if you're not qualified they'll tell you why then they write you back and partially refund your fee. You can call them on the phone about the grad school classes. When I called, they were as helpful as the could be without making any commitments.

I assume this would work for you. I did my CS classes in undergrad and used 8 hours of physics. Remember once you apply, if they approve it you have 90 days to schedule your exam. So get ready to hit the ground running once you get your letter. Learn from my mistakes.
can I call up the PTO and ask about individual classes I'm considering taking in the future to see if they are qualified? I'd hate to roll the dice on ~2 years of college courses.

Elotana posted:

They aren't, and it's CU-Boulder. I'm trying to determine if the undergrad prereqs for a MSCS will count for category B to be maximize my time.

Kalman posted:

"under Option 4, computer science courses that stress theoretical foundations, analysis, and design, and include substantial laboratory work, including software development will be accepted."

You're going to need course descriptions from course catalogs for those years as well as transcripts. Does your undergrad degree not work?
Yeah, I saw that under the Other Acceptable Course Work. Does anyone know if this would include stuff like intro programming 101 and 201 type classes, or just the upper level stuff?

and lol nope. none of my current degrees work in any sense of the word.