Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

echoMateria posted:

I had this on my shopping list but had to mark it off as "I only want the US version when that's printed" after watching Rahdo's playthrough and seeing the English/German First printing was German, as in had texts in German all around, with a tucked in English manual.

Orleans is completely language-independent, if you don't care exactly what the events, buildings and beneficial deeds are called.

Given the problems known with Orleans worker tokens wearing out, gently caress making the Deluxe components exclusive and only for sale in North America and Australia. There really needs to be an upgrade pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Prairie Bus posted:

I played my first game of Eldrich Horror last week, and only just found out the focus action was added in an expansion. When we played, it seemed necessary to keep the game going through terrible rolls. I'm on the fence about picking up my own copy, but if I do, I'll be adding focus tokens.

In EH our first game or two had what you described: limp through terrible rolls hoping to get lucky before losing because you didn't roll those successes you were sitting there waiting to get. I decided that in EH we needed to mitigate dice rolling luck by buffing skills and getting allies - literally giving yourself more dice instead of using the (too few) clue tokens to give rerolls. Once we did that it went much better. Diving into many of the later challenges rolling only "standard" number of dice for skill checks I realized was really just hoping to get lucky.

Part of our problem was that we tried to play EH the same way we played Arkham Horror and it didn't work. In AH clue tokens (allowing rerolls) can be used to mitigate dice rolling luck and that's how we played. For example if I know I'm going to need one success (5 or 6, or 1/3) to close that gate but I know I will only have only 3 dice then I'm really just hoping I'll be lucky. If I can have up to six chances to roll a 5 or 6 (like by having at least three clues on hand to apply to the three dice I know I'll have) then I can feel pretty confident I'll manage to do it. The thing is that clues are far too precious in EH (and not as numerous as in AH) but buffing your character is much easier to do in EH.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Spergy question: Anyone have a high quality thingy to put a universal head rules sheet in? I'm imagining something like those hard plastic toploaders that you buy magic cards in, but letter sized. Or brochure sized maybe for the half sized references.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Spergy question: Anyone have a high quality thingy to put a universal head rules sheet in? I'm imagining something like those hard plastic toploaders that you buy magic cards in, but letter sized. Or brochure sized maybe for the half sized references.

What about laminating them?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Some Numbers posted:

What about laminating them?

I second this. My friend laminated his BSG reference sheets and they were pretty sturdy.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I was thinking about that, but I'm too lazy to go to the print shop every time I get a new game. Haven't looked into DIY lamination though. The clear hard plastic thing that I'm imagining would be like a clipboard so might not even need more than a couple.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have sent the PDF as a color print job to my local Staples, and elected to have them Laminate the sheet. Works great. Specifically, color printing on the lighter cardstock (heavier can't be laminated) then cutting the laminated sheet down to size at home (or into two for the half sized references) has not let me down.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What's the deal with Cosmic Encounter? I see it gets some bad rep here but the SU&SD guys love it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Reporting back that Broken Token says their Dominion cases will fit the new expansion without sleeves. I didn't ask about including sleeves as I don't plan to do so.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Prairie Bus posted:

I played my first game of Eldrich Horror last week, and only just found out the focus action was added in an expansion. When we played, it seemed necessary to keep the game going through terrible rolls. I'm on the fence about picking up my own copy, but if I do, I'll be adding focus tokens.

I'm sure you don't need the actual expansion to add in the Focus Action. Just use something else to represent Focus tokens (Eldritch tokens are probably good) for your pre-expansion games.

Azran posted:

What's the deal with Cosmic Encounter? I see it gets some bad rep here but the SU&SD guys love it.

To try not to be too "controversial," it is a very, very random game that can last anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours, even with the same and same number of players.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

taser rates posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually everyone that owns Earth Reborn.

I'm in that camp too.

Regarding the Descent talk earlier; If there is someone considering buying Descent 1 or 2 at this point, I'd instead recommend buying Imperial Assault (aka. Descent 2.5). Unless you have a hard-on for swords and sorcery... then again SW has S&S to a degree. Or hate SW for some dumb reason. I tried almost every - dice rolling - DnD imitating - board and card game and none clicked as much with my group.

Jedit posted:

Orleans is completely language-independent, if you don't care exactly what the events, buildings and beneficial deeds are called.

Given the problems known with Orleans worker tokens wearing out, gently caress making the Deluxe components exclusive and only for sale in North America and Australia. There really needs to be an upgrade pack.

The thing is, I'd rather buy the English language version of a game if it has ANY texts on it, even if they are not critical, unless the alternative comes in a sweet, sweet deal.

Half of the Kickstarters I pledge to these days are either exclusive to USA or charge more then my pledge level to ship where I live. So I just have them shipped to the shop I buy my boardgames from. The guy just packs and sends them along with all the junk I'm buying from him.

Azran posted:

Pure nostalgia speaking there on SU&SD front, nothing else. It's along the same lines of me recommending people Bubble Bobble. A game I played a with my brother on C64 in 1990 and had so many fond memories of. We played it so much that whenever I think of it, its music track starts playing at my head, making me feel giddy about it. But this doesn't mean that it is a good game by today's standards, even if someone licenses and releases it next month with some polished modern graphics and new enemies.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 13, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Azran posted:

You'll find a lot of people outside this thread who will cop to liking it. It's a very shoot-the-poo poo wacky hijinx kind of game. It's a long game where victory comes from a mix of rudimentary politics and pure randomness. The races aren't balanced at all and it's not a deep or strategic game at all. At the time investment it's asking for, this thread prefers to have more agency. The premise is kind of nerdy but at its core it's a Monopoly-level game.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Azran posted:

It is an older design that is influential and polarizing. Shared wins are common and game length can vary wildly. It is not particularly strategic, as there are multiple aspects of the game outside of your control. The asymmetrical powers make no attempt to be balanced. Your strength in the game is primarily determined by your power and starting hand. There are a lot of expansions. That's the deal.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I never played OGRE, and I have my kickstarter edition collecting dust, what's the best way for me and a friend to open this monster box and have fun with this beast?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I never played OGRE, and I have my kickstarter edition collecting dust, what's the best way for me and a friend to open this monster box and have fun with this beast?

Start with basic OGRE; the one with just the brown crater wasteland and the base ruleset. Only punch out the tokens you need for that game (one ogre model and a small handful of other units) and play that a couple times to get the general feel of gameplay. Only then should you move on to the bigger fancier maps and units.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Cosmic has been around a long time and is quite influential in Ameritrash circles, e.g.:

Richard Garfield posted:

Though there are about a dozen games that have directly influenced Magic in one way or another, the game's most influential ancestor is a game for which I have no end of respect: Cosmic Encounter, originally published by Eon Products and re-released by Mayfair Games. In this game, participants play alien races striving to conquer a piece of the universe. Players can attempt their conquest alone, or forge alliances with other aliens. There are nearly fifty alien races which can be played, each of which has a unique ability: the Amoeba, for example, has the power to Ooze, giving it unlimited token movement; the Sniveler has the power to Whine, allowing it to automatically catch up when behind. The best thing about Cosmic Encounter is precisely this limitless variety. I have played hundreds of times and still can be surprised at the interactions different combinations of aliens produce. Cosmic Encounter remains enjoyable because it is constantly new.

Cosmic Encounter proved to be an interesting complement to my own design ideas. I had been mulling over a longtime idea of mine: a game which used a deck of cards whose composition changed between rounds. During the course of the game, the players would add cards to and remove cards from the deck, so that when you played a new game it would have an entirely different card mix. I remembered playing marbles in elementary school, where each player had his own collection from which he would trade and compete. I was also curious about Strat-o-matic Baseball, in which participants draft, field, and compete their own teams of baseball players, whose abilities are based on real players' previous year statistics. intrigued by the structure of the game, I was irritated that the subject was one for which I had no patience.

These thoughts were the essence of what eventually became Magic. My experiences with Cosmic Encounter and other games inspired me to create a card game in 1982 called Five Magics. Five Magics was an attempt to distill the modularity of Cosmic Encounter down to just a card game. The nature of Cosmic Encounter seemed entirely appropriate for a magical card game—wild and not entirely predictable, but not completely unknown, like a set of forces you almost, but don't quite, understand. Over the next few years, Five Magics went on to inspire entirely new magical card games among my friends.

Doesn't make it a good game, but the context might help understand why so many people list it as one of the greatest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cosmic Encounter is a game for nerdy normies, and for that it must be crushed under the heel of True Gaming.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think if Quinns from SUSD had a typical M:TG phase like most, then I think things might be slightly different. Quinns is deep in a Netrunner binge but apparently had a bad experience with Magic as a teenager and never got into it. M:TG feels like it should be at the top of a list that features Netrunner at 3 and Cosmic Encounter at 1.

And if Chaos in the Old World didn't have a board featuring a map made out of flesh it might be featured ahead of Cosmic Encounter on these types of lists. Might be a controversial opinion, but Chaos in the Old World feels like it obsoleted Cosmic Encounter, for myself. It's not an identical game, but it takes all of the good concepts (as well as some of the ideas that M:TG originally took from Cosmic Encounter) and refines them.

Edit: Something interesting to think about is that while many suggest Ameritrash and Euros are divided by theme or no theme, I'd argue that the good Ameritrash can pretty much be defined by their "changing deck of cards" DNA derived from Cosmic Encounter and Magic. Cosmic, M:TG, Netrunner, Chaos in the Old World, Battlestar Galactica, Twilight Struggle, etc. It doesn't seem to be a popular mechanic with Euro games. Is Dominion a euro or ameritrash? It feels much more like Magic than a Reiner Knizia game to me.. maybe it should be called Eurotrash or something. Or maybe this terminology is loving stupid.

edit:

quote:

From back when I played other people’s games, the big one was Magic: The Gathering. Dominion‘s deckbuilding was not actually inspired by Magic, but Magic inspired me to pursue game design at all, and introduced me to interacting rules on cards, and drafting.
http://meepletown.com/2012/02/game-designer-interview-donald-x-vaccarino-again/

edit: While I'm ranting about the stupid ameritrash vs euro definitions and we're talking about Richard Garfield, I also think the other definition that says that the euro has no luck and the ameritrash game is all luck and therefore no skill is dumb as hell. Wander around on BGG enough and it's all over the place. I take it poker is not quite as popular in these circles?

Anyways, I liked this video from Garfield on Luck vs Skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 13, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

With euro vs ameritrash definitions you need to remember the context and history of those terms for them to make sense, because there's no way to create a solid line. Compared to ameritrash games euros minimised combat and player elimination and emphasised player agency through simpler (or perhaps "less bloated") and more deterministic mechanics. Dominion fits all of these categories. It's not like Settlers of Catan is a zero luck game.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I played Dixit for the first time tonight. I know it has very high praise here, but I always dismissed it due to my distaste for party games, and my bad experiences with A2A.

Holy poo poo, I couldn't have been more wrong. Dixit loving owns, if the store had been in stock I would have grabbed a copy on the spot.

Also played a bunch of games of The Great Dalmuti, which is a Garfield game from the 90's. I had played this one before probably 7-8 years ago, and I remembered enjoying it, but for some reason my group back then never picked it up again. Turns out it's still a lot of fun; it seemed to contain just the right mixture of player agency and dealing with the whim of the cards.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Azran posted:

Are you trying to start a fight or something? :can:

Cosmic Encounter is a great game with an innovative and influential design 20 years ahead of its time. Unfortunately, it's 40 years old.

It's a game with a lot of randomness, and the fun of the game is mitigating that randomness with bluffing, politics and some skill. The variable player powers give it a "solve this game's puzzle" aspect, a bit like Dominion, and allow each player to feel unique as they figure out how to leverage their gimmick within the game. It allows for diplomacy and politics, but uses randomly-determined match-ups to somewhat avoid making things too personal. The playtime can vary a bit, generally 45-90 minutes in my experience (roughly the same as Dominion with a non-expert group), although I think we had a two hour game once. It's primary sins are that the play time is a bit variable, and that the end of the game can stall if the leaders don't have enough juice saved to push past the other players for the win. (Shared wins can mitigate this, and some races do a better job than others of pushing toward a conclusion.)

It's not the best game on the market, and it shows its age, but it's also not nearly as bad as the TG crew would have you believe. I have no idea why people here poo poo all over it so much; maybe it isn't serious/hardcore enough for them. I think it still has a place in non-hobbyist groups where simple rules and randomness are more valuable than strategic depth.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Paper Kaiju posted:

I played Dixit for the first time tonight. I know it has very high praise here, but I always dismissed it due to my distaste for party games, and my bad experiences with A2A.

Holy poo poo, I couldn't have been more wrong. Dixit loving owns, if the store had been in stock I would have grabbed a copy on the spot.

Also played a bunch of games of The Great Dalmuti, which is a Garfield game from the 90's. I had played this one before probably 7-8 years ago, and I remembered enjoying it, but for some reason my group back then never picked it up again. Turns out it's still a lot of fun; it seemed to contain just the right mixture of player agency and dealing with the whim of the cards.

Great Dalmuti is mechanically similar to the party game Presidents and Assholes, and looks like a lot of fun

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad news for anyone wanting to get Kemet or Space Alert: I just ordered the last remaining copies of each from CSI.

That is all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are you trying to start a fight or something? :can:

Not really, just wondering because I only decided to get an actual boardgame that's better than Clue like a week or so ago, so I'm full of incredibly dumb questions - I don't even know if games like Catan are supposed to be good. I only know Carcassone is good because the OP says so - etc etc.

Thanks for the answers by the way. :)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Azran posted:

Not really, just wondering because I only decided to get an actual boardgame that's better than Clue like a week or so ago, so I'm full of incredibly dumb questions - I don't even know if games like Catan are supposed to be good. I only know Carcassone is good because the OP says so - etc etc.

Catan was good 20 years ago. There's been 20 years of board game development since then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Catan is in the same place as Cosmic Encounters I'd say. It's outdated and unpalatable to serious gamers, but it can still function fine as a gateway game and often goes over well with new players. Like, now that I'm into the hobby I realize that 7 Wonders is a much better game than Catan and functions better as a light game to play with less serious gamers. But Catan was my gateway game, the one that a friend brought out to play back when I still didn't know that board games meant anything other than Risk and Monopoly, and it did the job well. It's a flawed game for sure, but it's still fun and digestible to new players and I'm sure to this day it still does a lot of legwork bringing people into the hobby.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Catan was one of the first board games I played that didn't have direct conflict between players as its whole point. Like, you put down a building and someone else can't take it from you or blow it up or whatever. Some people I know liked it for precisely that reason, it was... I don't know, friendly competition? Not like games which were basically the cardboard version of slugging your brother in the arm and laughing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Azran posted:

The best advice I can give you is to ignore recommendations from SUSD (who have sadly lost the plot - recommendations from their first 'era' before they changed sites are generally good, however.), don't buy anything just because it 'looked fun on Tabletop with Wil Wheaton' because they frequently get poo poo wrong and are an entertainment medium first, consumer advice... never, and ignore everything Tom Vasel (and by extension, most of the regular Dice Tower crew) says about anything ever.

They may be popular, but this hobby is still in it's rising stage, and we're yet to find real critical voices that are consistent or at least not totally idiosyncratic.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't suppose anyone has played a majority of the following and could compare them to games like Mage Knight (good but long and fiddly) and Arkham Horror (less good and even more long and fiddly:

Assault on Doomrock
Shadows of Brimstone
Robinson Crusoe
Eldritch Horror

Robinson Crusoe may be one of the best solo games I've played. It's one of those games where you're constantly trying to "make the best of what of what you have." Each "scenario" plays out a bit like a puzzle with certain strategies working out a bit better than others. Still, the island hates you, and you will die some times in spite of this. I've had some really fun moments where I was just stalling the game an extra turn to get more points, and had horrible things happen crushing said plans. Adapting to that recovery is what's fun.

The game is also incredibly adaptable for difficulty and group size. Because all plannning/actions happen at once you're going to want to play with people comfortable with making moves without a quarterback, or they may literally become pawns for others to use. By the same token, planning out a well executed plan as a group can be satisfying, and seeing gambles pay off or fail is usually pretty entertaining.

One disclaimer: the rulebook sucks. The game has deceptively simple rules as it's a worker placement game at its core. I'd recommend watching Ricky Royalle play through the game. He makes no major rule errors, and has a pretty slow pace so things sink in: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UyaJ4tfEqzNLyeqG0CBR9fZdhTCx1GN

Edit: This game generates wonderful stories. I got jumped by a surprisingly powerful Iguana, and had to smoke a pipe and rush it with two broken bottles to survive. It's a game that generates stories a bit better than most. Even if people aren't contributing 100%, they still have the things that they do contribute to a fun (or depressing) story.

Social Dissonance fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 13, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So seeing as "A World at War" is at a pretty good reduced price, is it worth the buy especially considering I might only be able to ever get solo games going? Also, do they have any Scenario Packs that bundle several together?

E: Should probably ask this in the other thread :blush:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 13, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Castles of Burgundy is the newer game for people who loving love hex tiles and rolling 2D6. Like Catan it's fairly simple to learn and play and pretty beige, but it isn't nearly as luck based and plays 2 or 4 players better. It does lack Catan's trading aspects though which is what some people like about Catan.

Keyflower is probably the best actual neo-Catan though. Hex tiles, building your settlement, and loving people over all combined by some really tight mechanisms and guaranteed game length.

Social Dissonance posted:

The game has deceptively simple rules as it's a worker placement game at its core.
I get irrationally annoyed by people using this term for things that aren't actually worker placement.

Edit: This game generates wonderful stories. I got jumped by a surprisingly powerful Iguana, and had to smoke a pipe and rush it with two broken bottles to survive. It's a game that generates stories a bit better than most. Even if people aren't contributing 100%, they still have the things that they do contribute to a fun (or depressing) story.
This is the reason to play Robinson Crusoe for anyone still wondering. The mechanisms make people think it's euro but it's not, you're constantly rolling dice just to see if the game decides to gently caress you over and the difficulty of the cards is wildly swingy. If that doesn't bother you and you like theme-first games then go for it.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 13, 2015

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Bubble-T posted:

I get irrationally annoyed by people using this term for things that aren't actually worker placement.

You take colored pawns and place them on things to generate resources or inventions? Of course the game has a lot more than that going on, but the game comes down to taking risks or guaranteeing results based on how you allocate limited pawns to limited areas. I'm comparing it to Lords of Waterdeep though, so if that doesn't fit your definition I guess we have two different standards.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
The problem a good number of people has with Cosmic Encounter is caused by its die hard fans like SU&D and Dice Tower naming it as the best board & card game ever and putting it on #1 on their lists year after year. Nobody cares what the other guy has fun playing. But when some of the most influential people in the hobby keep doing this, you wonder if they ever heard of a quote that starts with "With great power...".

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The End posted:

The best advice I can give you is to ignore recommendations from SUSD (who have sadly lost the plot - recommendations from their first 'era' before they changed sites are generally good, however.), don't buy anything just because it 'looked fun on Tabletop with Wil Wheaton' because they frequently get poo poo wrong and are an entertainment medium first, consumer advice... never, and ignore everything Tom Vasel (and by extension, most of the regular Dice Tower crew) says about anything ever.

They may be popular, but this hobby is still in it's rising stage, and we're yet to find real critical voices that are consistent or at least not totally idiosyncratic.

I mean yes, with the cost involved in buying ANY of these games I like to get as many opinions as possible - I think the only game I've seen that gets constant praise is Dominion so far, and while I've decided to get it first, I still feel a voice in the back of my head saying "You should get TtR/7 Wonders, show them why Monopoly is not a good gameeee ~".
Honestly, SU&SD is great for me because I know poo poo about the many genres out there, so I get a condensed review of widly different mechanics - Tammany Hall for example, was a game I had no idea existed, and it was pretty cool to find information about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

You take colored pawns and place them on things to generate resources or inventions? Of course the game has a lot more than that going on, but the game comes down to taking risks or guaranteeing results based on how you allocate limited pawns to limited areas. I'm comparing it to Lords of Waterdeep though, so if that doesn't fit your definition I guess we have two different standards.

You're describing a generic action selection mechanic. When describing mechanics, it's best to ignore how those mechanics are themed, and instead look at how they actually function. Anything can have a theme involving putting meeples on spaces, that doesn't mean they're mechanically similar.

"Worker placement" is basically where people take turns selecting actions from a common pool, where after an action is chosen it is no longer available for anyone else to choose.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

echoMateria posted:

The problem a good number of people has with Cosmic Encounter is caused by its die hard fans like SU&D and Dice Tower naming it as the best board & card game ever and putting it on #1 on their lists year after year. Nobody cares what the other guy has fun playing. But when some of the most influential people in the hobby keep doing this, you wonder if they ever heard of a quote that starts with "With great power...".

Yeah, this is probably a huge part of it actually. I mean thinking about Robinson Crusoe, that's a game that some people here like, and some people do not like. Either way it seems to be accepted that it's not very solid mechanically and can have huge quarterbacking and luck issues, but that it can be still a fun game to play with the right group and comes with a good theme. That's all well and good, we recognize it's strengths and flaws and while it's not considered a great example of game design, nobody really gets upset if someone else enjoys it. But if SUSD or Wil Wheaton declared Robinson Crusoe THE BEST COOP GAME EVER MADE 10/10 MUST BUY we would lose our loving poo poo.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Notice how in Lords of Waterdeep if you take an action you simultaneously reduce the options available to your opponents? That's "worker placement". The extent to which actions are limited varies from game to game but if action taking isn't at least somewhat exclusionary it's not worker placement.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Jabor posted:

"Worker placement" is basically where people take turns selecting actions from a common pool, where after an action is chosen it is no longer available for anyone else to choose.

That makes sense. The game does limit you from doing doing the same exact action twice though! The rulebook didn't make this incredibly obvious, and the first couple games I played I gathered from the camp or another source twice. It makes good camp placement really important.

I'm curious now about Mage Knight. What sort of time frame does a play though of that take solo? Robinson Cruesoe only take about 1 hour now plus setup (better now with a Plano case to organize.) If it can be done in less than 2 hours I might pick it up. Do you lose often in it, or is it more a guaranteed victory with just VP scoring?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

If you're experienced you can do a full solo conquest in 2 hours, but it'll take longer your first few games and including setup/teardown you'll always be pushing 2 hours. There's a shorter introductory scenario and a "blitz" option that's 2/3rds as long.

Experienced players will pretty much always knock down both cities and often increase the difficulty of the scenario as they get better. That doesn't mean the game isn't challenging, it's just very fair despite having a highly random setup.

That makes sense. The game does limit you from doing doing the same exact action twice though! The rulebook didn't make this incredibly obvious, and the first couple games I played I gathered from the camp or another source twice. It makes good camp placement really important.

I see that more as a limited resources thing, and it's still a co-op game. Your tokens are just tracking what you did. Still I see where you're coming from now more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

I'm curious now about Mage Knight. What sort of time frame does a play though of that take solo? Robinson Cruesoe only take about 1 hour now plus setup (better now with a Plano case to organize.) If it can be done in less than 2 hours I might pick it up. Do you lose often in it, or is it more a guaranteed victory with just VP scoring?

For both solo and coop Mage Knight I highly recommend picking up the Lost Legion expansion. Without it, it's mostly a score race against a dummy player in those modes. With the Lost Legion there's a proper antagonist in the form of returning Atlantean General Volkare, who's a nice stiff challenge and a timer all in one.