Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarthor posted:

Nobody says being a cop isn't hard, especially in those use of force scenarios they showed on the Fox report. But of course the scenarios that people are upset about (the kid in the park, the dude selling loose cigarettes, the guy in the Wal-Mart, the dude in Ferguson, etc) are nothing like those scenarios.

In the scenarios people are upset about, with the exception of Ferguson, there was ample time and availability for the cops to show restraint and not shoot/kill. They had the benefit of time and in most cases the benefit of other uniformed backup to make sure the situation could end non-lethally. Those situations are wayyyyy different than the use of force scenarios presented on the Fox report where you're one lone cop approaching 1 or 2 suspects.

EDIT -- I'm not saying the Ferguson shooting was justified. I'm just saying it was closer to the Fox video where it was a 1 on 1 scenario versus the cop having 5+ other cops around like when they choked that loose cigarette guy.

NO! If you protest ANYTHING ANY cop does you hate EVERY cop doing ANYTHING! Don't like it when a cop shoots an unarmed teen in the back while he's running away? Well, looks like you want cops to wait four seconds after being shot in the face before they're allowed to verbally warn a suspect that they might get a ticket!
WHY DO YOU WANT DEAD COPS???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Two interesting things about this and they are related slightly

quote:

The rally, led by French President François Hollande, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, British Prime Minister David Cameron, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas,

The other being that, obviously, it's mostly a bunch of European leaders. Its totally reasonable for the president and vp to not fly halfway around the world and back over the death of maybe 20 civillians, even if it was a highly charged event. I'm sure our ambassador to France was there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nevvy Z posted:

The other being that, obviously, it's mostly a bunch of European leaders. Its totally reasonable for the president and vp to not fly halfway around the world and back over the death of maybe 20 civillians, even if it was a highly charged event. I'm sure our ambassador to France was there.

Israeli media has confirmed that Netanyahu wasn't even invited; he insisted on coming, so Hollande invited Abbas, too.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israeli media has confirmed that Netanyahu wasn't even invited; he insisted on coming, so Hollande invited Abbas, too.

Not the first time he's gone somewhere uninvited.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Nevvy Z posted:

15 people were mercilessly cut down by extremists in China just last year and no one outside of China gave a poo poo. It's all just hot air.

Duke Igthorn posted:

NO! If you protest ANYTHING ANY cop does you hate EVERY cop doing ANYTHING! Don't like it when a cop shoots an unarmed teen in the back while he's running away? Well, looks like you want cops to wait four seconds after being shot in the face before they're allowed to verbally warn a suspect that they might get a ticket!

In another discussion I literally said I think cops should be better paid and better trained and was told I hate America.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

15 people were mercilessly cut down by extremists in China just last year and no one outside of China gave a poo poo. It's all just hot air.

In another discussion I literally said I think cops should be better paid and better trained and was told I hate America.

Let me see if I can parse this into RWNJ speak:

You want the GOVERMENT to GIVE cops better pay? This is AMERICA, land of the FREE! They should WORK for FREE and better themselves!

Edit: I feel like I'm writing like Mr. Torgue. :torgue:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Faustian Bargain posted:

A few pages back, but what am I missing here?

The title.

quote:

And the “Moron of the Week” Award Goes To…

cebrail posted:

Everytime you encounter a policeman, you should thank them. They have just given you the gift of life by benevolently deciding to not kill you.

Is that a Dredd quote?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Is that a Dredd quote?

If it isn't, if loving should be.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rick_Hunter posted:

If it isn't, if loving should be.

As a reminder the world of Dredd has less crime than the USA and more stringent controls on police murder.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

As a reminder the world of Dredd has less crime than the USA and more stringent controls on police murder.

What do you mean by police murder?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Duke Igthorn posted:

I've had cop acquaintances of mine tell me almost exactly this, unironically.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick_Hunter posted:

What do you mean by police murder?

There are very few crimes in Mega City 1 that carry the death penalty and Judges are trained to negotiate if it means saving lives.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

There are very few crimes in Mega City 1 that carry the death penalty and Judges are trained to negotiate if it means saving lives.

Yep. Most of the people that Dredd kills are already actively shooting at him.

I don't know what it means when a comic book authoritarian dystopia has a more restrained police department than real world analogues.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Uh I've seen the movies, and I think you mean "BANGBANGBANGBANG BOOM EEEEEEEEEEKKKKSSSHHHHHH BANGBANGBANG BANGBANG BANG KER-BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!" Not all this "nuanced look at the issues as pertaining to today's world" talk stuff

Kit Walker posted:

I've had cop acquaintances of mine tell me almost exactly this, unironically.
Yeah, this is every rear end in a top hat's opinion. You'll find it filed under "if you want gun restrictions you want to TAKE ALL ARE GUNS" and "if you want abortions YOU WANT ALL BABIES MURDERED!!" "if you don't want to start wars of agression YOU HATE ARE TROOPS AND WANT THEM TO DIE!!" etc etc etc

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

OAquinas posted:

Yep. Most of the people that Dredd kills are already actively shooting at him.

I don't know what it means when a comic book authoritarian dystopia has a more restrained police department than real world analogues.

Yup; the vast majority of crime in Mega City 1 is punished by time spent in isocubes, not death. You pretty much have to be directly threatening (or kill) a civilian or Judge in order to pick up a death penalty. Judges who kill people without a drat good reason are also heavily disciplined.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Uh I've seen the movies, and I think you mean "BANGBANGBANGBANG BOOM EEEEEEEEEEKKKKSSSHHHHHH BANGBANGBANG BANGBANG BANG KER-BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!" Not all this "nuanced look at the issues as pertaining to today's world" talk stuff

Well to be fair in the movie Dredd almost immediately gets involved in a gigantic gang war, not exactly the ideal platform for in-depth studies of the nuances of crime. And you'll actually note that in the movie Dredd doesn't kill anyone until bodies start dropping.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In Judge Dredd land, sometimes people get overwhelmed by the world and go on violent crime sprees. They treat this as a mental illness and you'd be sentenced to psychotherapy in kook-cubes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

According to a customer today, Obama was born Muslim. He might have converted to Christianity, but he's a Muslim at heart. And he's supporting the terrorists in France.

After the lulu who showed up last week, I thought we had hit our monthly quota in the political category. Alas, I was wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

According to a customer today, Obama was born Muslim. He might have converted to Christianity, but he's a Muslim at heart. And he's supporting the terrorists in France.

After the lulu who showed up last week, I thought we had hit our monthly quota in the political category. Alas, I was wrong.

Where do you work where you get subjected to people's inane conspiracy theories in passing chatter?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There are plenty of people who will mention things in passing to a cashier at a store or something, assuming that the cashier shares their beliefs. Whenever I go to the grocery store I always get asked "How are you doing?" by the cashier. Most people will say "Fine, thanks" or "Not too bad" or something along those lines, but there's definitely those who'll go "I'd be doing better if OBAMA wasn't destroying our country!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Immerse yourself in conservative media to the point that right wing conservatism seems like it must be the default position for any decent person and only vile, deviant Others would hold any other position.

You don't think of yourself as a hateful misanthrope, though, so you assume the people around you must be good upstanding citizens deserving of respect. This means they must hold positions akin to yours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

There are plenty of people who will mention things in passing to a cashier at a store or something, assuming that the cashier shares their beliefs. Whenever I go to the grocery store I always get asked "How are you doing?" by the cashier. Most people will say "Fine, thanks" or "Not too bad" or something along those lines, but there's definitely those who'll go "I'd be doing better if OBAMA wasn't destroying our country!"

Maybe it's a cultural thing, over here it's only really polite to mention the weather.

Or get vaguely molested by the elderly which tends to be what happens to me in retail.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I had someone I know get bad food poisoning and have a lovely experience in an ER, and was all THANKS OBAMA! :argh:

I'm not sure what they thought was different before the ACA.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there an easy way to copy/paste a facebook conversation?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

Is there an easy way to copy/paste a facebook conversation?

Social Fixer to anonymize
Snipping tool for screenshots
Imgur for hosting

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
From last page but I'm amazed that skeletons can be racists when they don't have any skins to be proud of. Thanks for opening my eyes to a world of possibilities I never considered, conservatives!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anti-Bush people were a little like this, but only a little. It was still a little.

edit: dude was actually destroying the country

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

OwlFancier posted:

Where do you work where you get subjected to people's inane conspiracy theories in passing chatter?

I work at an airport and had a guy come in telling us about the structures on the moon. And also about the engine that runs on water but the oil companies squashed it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Deuce posted:

I work at an airport and had a guy come in telling us about the structures on the moon. And also about the engine that runs on water but the oil companies squashed it.

Sometimes it works in reverse too! During GWB, I went to a small shop to get my oil changed, and the dude spent 20 minutes telling me about how global warming is a hoax, God killed the dinosaurs so that we could have oil today, it's our duty to use it, and it'll never run out because of abiotic oil.

I don't think I've ever met a person whose quack conspiracy theories fit their career more than that guy.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Deuce posted:

well, there are engines that run on hydrogen whose only byproduct is water. whose production has never been widespread although i dont know enough about them to directly attribute it to big oil

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Your Weird Uncle posted:

well, there are engines that run on hydrogen whose only byproduct is water. whose production has never been widespread although i dont know enough about them to directly attribute it to big oil

Hydrogen is too expensive and volatile to be a fuel source! You want every car on the road to be a Hindenburg just ready to blow?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Your Weird Uncle posted:

Hydrogen has a lot of advantages, but it's difficult to contain and we don't have an infrastructure set up for it, so as long as gasoline is sufficiently cheap, there's no real incentive to create hydrogen-fueled cars. It also doesn't help that it takes energy to compress hydrogen to the point where you have enough fuel to drive for long distances.

We'll likely eventually have and use hydrogen fueled vehicles, but there are some technical issues that need to be worked out first.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ErIog posted:

Sometimes it works in reverse too! During GWB, I went to a small shop to get my oil changed, and the dude spent 20 minutes telling me about how global warming is a hoax, God killed the dinosaurs so that we could have oil today, it's our duty to use it, and it'll never run out because of abiotic oil.

I don't think I've ever met a person whose quack conspiracy theories fit their career more than that guy.
A cashier at Hy-Vee once complained about how Obama raised the sales taxes as she was ringing my groceries up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

cheerfullydrab posted:

From last page but I'm amazed that skeletons can be racists when they don't have any skins to be proud of. Thanks for opening my eyes to a world of possibilities I never considered, conservatives!

David Cross actually did a funny bit on it.

http://youtu.be/_nH0qIPyn2Q?t=7m22s

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
my old boss would go on rants about how obama couldn't be president because, as a muslim apostate, everyone in "muslim countries" would be honor bound to kill him. which was at least refreshing in a new take on right wing bullshit

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Your Weird Uncle posted:

The problem is that hydrogen is not an energy source it's energy storage. We use electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. Then we take the hydrogen to power the car. But the energy we get from the hydrogen can never be more than the energy it takes to capture the hydrogen in the first place. Gas works because the energy it takes for us to extract a gallon of oil is far less than the chemical energy stored in that gallon of oil (because of all the energy that went into creating it millions of years ago).

It's better to just cut out the hydrogen middle man and use that electricity to power the car directly through batteries.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Guaranteed, if an oil company comes across an engineer e that runs on water and works well, they liquidate their assets and immediately start making engines.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How this for mind games?

I'm Zack Lee for reference.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cpt.Americant posted:

It's better to just cut out the hydrogen middle man and use that electricity to power the car directly through batteries.

I believe hydrogen fuel cells currently have higher energy density than batteries, but technological issues may indeed prevent them from entering wide scale usage.

Ideally we probably want to get sustainable fusion working as an energy source; anything smaller than that just isn't going to produce enough energy or last long enough. Space based solar power may also work but I'm not at all sure that there's a solution to the problem that any such system is also a giant death ray.

That said iterative refinements in fossil fuel extraction and energy production and clever add-ons like the Atmospheric Vortex Engine (assuming that the tornadoes it makes are not prone to escaping confinement and running wild, which is not yet something they're totally certain about) will extend how long we can go before fusion or better is a necessity.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 13, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Neruz posted:

Space based solar power may also work but I'm not at all sure that there's a solution to the problem that any such system is also a giant death ray.

The fact that space solar power can be used as a giant death ray is the only reason I can imagine it having any chance of being built by the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cpt.Americant posted:

Well, assuming you have the money and resources to make and dispose of that many batteries, possibly. The hydrogen method has the advantage of being rather easier to do en-mass, as it requires fairly unspecified storage methods, or at least, not especially more specialized than petroleum.