Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I haven't really been playing much recently, so I've only used the Dominion Rod once, in one of those "just keep killing dudes until time is up" stages.

I still have no idea what the hell I was actually doing, but god drat I was having fun doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

W.T. Fits posted:

I haven't really been playing much recently, so I've only used the Dominion Rod once, in one of those "just keep killing dudes until time is up" stages.

I still have no idea what the hell I was actually doing, but god drat I was having fun doing it.

The Dominion Rod to me feels like what Darunia should have been. You just go crazy and smash stuff all around you all the time in a barely controlled frenzy.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So, as a new Wii U owner, and a player of the Dynasty Warriors games - on a scale of awesome to kickass, how amazing is this game?
But in all seriousness, goddamn does reading these posts make me want to pick it up.
Does anyone have preferences for controller? I know for local 2p, someone uses the Wii U game controller, and the other person something else - is the new Wii U Pro Controller worth picking up? Or does nunchuk + wiimote work alright?
The wife is a Dynasty Warriors fanatic, so this'll be an easy sell for her :)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Wiimote and Nunchuk is awful for this game because it's waggle-to-attack and just imagine how many times per stage you're doing that. The Wii U Pro Controller is pretty much perfect for the other player though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wii U Pro Controller should be readily available in like any Best Buy, right? I have a friend coming over to play this in a couple of weeks and I don't want him to get stuck with the chuck.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Siochain posted:

So, as a new Wii U owner, and a player of the Dynasty Warriors games - on a scale of awesome to kickass, how amazing is this game?
But in all seriousness, goddamn does reading these posts make me want to pick it up.
Does anyone have preferences for controller? I know for local 2p, someone uses the Wii U game controller, and the other person something else - is the new Wii U Pro Controller worth picking up? Or does nunchuk + wiimote work alright?

i bought it when i came out but the very short music list and always-rising difficulty curve sorta put me off of it after i'd finished most of the first two adventure maps. the DLC was cool i guess but i found it got repetitive quickly.

the DLC seems expensive but it does add a lot of content, with more to come this month i believe.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I finished the main legendary story on normal and I'm now going through the Cia missions.

Once I'm done with these what's next? Easy mode to get the skultullas and heat pieces as well as basic materials, then hard mode for more advanced materials?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The "Go kill the map boss" track is the worst. It cuts off the normal music for the map, much of which is actually pretty solid, and is a loop of literally 3 seconds of awful music.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Kin posted:

So I finished the main legendary story on normal and I'm now going through the Cia missions.

Once I'm done with these what's next? Easy mode to get the skultullas and heat pieces as well as basic materials, then hard mode for more advanced materials?

the whole game is Adventure Mode. heart pieces are useless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kin posted:

Easy mode if you really need it, but the EXP and material rewards are better in normal, so you may as well get the skulltulas and heart pieces in normal if you can. Just ignore Easy Mode. After that, I'd say play a little bit of Adventure Mode, then when you get frustrated, play some of Legend on Hard to get some of the skulltulas. Because of how often you're going to be playing the Adventure Mode levels, you sort of naturally collect the materials you need as you play, in my opinion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't ever play easy mode. The drops and experience would be terrible and it's just not worth it. Really you can probably jump right into Hard mode after clearing Legend on Normal, but it might be a bit difficult if you haven't done any Adventure mode. I alternated Legend and Adventure mode right from the beginning so after clearing Normal once, I never went lower than Hard.

E: Come to think of it though, what you really should do is start unlocking the closest weapons in adventure mode. The Hard difficulty Legend skulltulas require specific characters and weapons, and you don't want to still be using Lana's level 1 Deku spear for instance.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 12, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Heart Pieces are useless, but get them anyway because in the process you'll get exp, rupees, and materials which are way more valuable in the long run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alacron posted:

Heart Pieces are useless, but get them anyway because in the process you'll get exp, rupees, and materials which are way more valuable in the long run.

It also forces you to learn characters, because otherwise it's pretty easy to ignore a bunch of them all of the time and just bowl through a lot of the squares with your highest level character.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wild Knight posted:

Wiimote and Nunchuk is awful for this game because it's waggle-to-attack and just imagine how many times per stage you're doing that.

Holy poo poo, is it really? That sounds like a hilariously quick way to get jack off arm.

Pro controller with the Gamepad in its cradle directly in front of you is probably the optimal setup for this game, unless you have no quarrels with reaching the L/R bumpers on the Gamepad, in which case it alone is fine.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

enojy posted:

Pro controller with the Gamepad in its cradle directly in front of you is probably the optimal setup for this game, unless you have no quarrels with reaching the L/R bumpers on the Gamepad, in which case it alone is fine.

Actually this reminds me, is there a way to put the map on the Game Pad that I haven't noticed? That would be useful as hell.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Octopode posted:

The Dominion Rod to me feels like what Darunia should have been. You just go crazy and smash stuff all around you all the time in a barely controlled frenzy.

Look at this guy who doesn't know how to play as Darunia. :smug:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i'm glad he does the full dance with accompanying music. he is just one jolly dude

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I always watch his whole victory video because it owns

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of victory animations, anyone else find it weird that they designed them in such a way that the characters seem to acknowledge the presence of a camera recording them? Its like there's some poe following you around with a video camera.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of victory animations, anyone else find it weird that they designed them in such a way that the characters seem to acknowledge the presence of a camera recording them? Its like there's some poe following you around with a video camera.

I think the weird part is how they usually end in the character staring at you with their big anime eyes. I just killed a thousand bad guys, now my waifu loves me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RyokoTK posted:

I think the weird part is how they usually end in the character staring at you with their big anime eyes. I just killed a thousand bad guys, now my waifu loves me.

"Da-Darunia-kun" :blush:

Wizzro's is the best though because he just steals your loving soul.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I had to put Cia's mask back on because her eyes in her victory animation were so hollow.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I always play Cia hatless because then I can make that Simpsons joke constantly to myself.

Man it's almost mid-January and we still have no details on the Majora's Mask DLC pack despite it supposedly coming out this month.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

I always play Cia hatless because then I can make that Simpsons joke constantly to myself.

Man it's almost mid-January and we still have no details on the Majora's Mask DLC pack despite it supposedly coming out this month.

We didn't get details on the other DLC packs until very shortly before they dropped. Which was always toward the end of the release month.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Nintendo Direct on wednesday so hopefully there will be some HW stuff in it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just started playing this again after a break induced by frustration with A ranks shortly after the twilight dlc, and I wonder how far along the extra characters/weapons like horse, spinner, dominion rod, and Twili Midna were in development when the game released, because the MM dlc characters are going to be nuts if the new ones were designed after the game had been out a while. Volga, Cia, and Wizzro were probably mostly done, so I'm not counting them. Twili Midna is ridiculously strong and they're all a blast to play and have a solid set of attacks, unlike some of the release characters who have a lot of crappy or redundant stuff, so maybe they took feedback from that for the new ones. Shooting a giant cannon, dropping meteors, and blowing up everything in a quarter mile radius feels great. I can hardly wait for probably Tingle and Skull Kid.

And god I hope they add a new clock town/Termina field stage even though I know it's a long shot. That would be fantastic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Today I discovered that if you rescue an ally a second time, they only get half their health refilled. If you rescue them again it only fills a quarter. And after that, you can't help them period. I know this because I tried to Cia's first mission on Hero mode at level 60. Wizzro did not enjoy being assaulted by 10 super powered lizard men.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Siochain posted:

Can't it be awesomely kickass?

Because it is. This was my most-played Wii U game last year, despite competing with the likes of Lego City, Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends and loving Mario Kart for playtime.

Definitely get the DLC too. It adds a ton of content and all of it is great.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tingle.

It's loving Tingle.

(and Young Link with Fierce Diety mask)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I figured it out

Fierce Diety is Young Link's focus spirit mode

close...

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Of course it had to be Kid Link. Gotta have more Links.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

WHO CARES IT'S TINGLE

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

where the skull kid at

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

where the skull kid at
Tingle killed him it's hosed up

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

where the skull kid at

Costume for someone - maybe Lana or Cia

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If it's CIa I'm semi-ok with that because she's fun to use.

I still wanted to use sick Majora powers tho

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No skull kid, no happy mask salesman, another link....
*peels homemade GOTYEY sticker off Hyrule Warriors case and sheds a single tear*

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Speculation time

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speculation time

Skull kid costume for Lana. Because that'd probably be the person to dress up as skullkid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Speculation time

Right and left look like Shiek and Impa, and I'll bet they're just the OoT designs.

The Skull Kid costume is weird though, it doesn't really seem to map to any of the characters. Maybe Young Link since its doing that whole mask on the side of the head thing he has going on?

• Locked thread