Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They should just say everything after Warcraft 3 (or even vanilla wow) was alternate universe poo poo and just make a warcraft 4 from there, all the while churning out more wow content for the people that need it.

In a PC Gamer special, I think WoW's tenth anniversary, one of the Blizzard people they interviewed said that the Warcraft story is World of Warcraft now. So every deuce they have squeezed onto that game is now "canon."

If there is a Warcraft 4, it will be a World of Warcraft loveletter and completely unrecognizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Eh, they can just time skip 10 years again. Warcraft 2 to Warcraft 3 and TFT to WoW had timeskips that allowed them to do whatever weird things they wanted. Don't forget the drastic change to the Horde between 2 and 3.

WoW certainly has made some bad story decisions, but 90% of the problem with continuing expansions is the need for a PvP excuse, how static the factions are, and how they feel like they need a "big name" as a raid boss to get people to come back.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Maybe they can re-Warlords of Draenor it and retcon everything with a timewarp.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They always have the Bronze Dragonflight/Infinite Dragonflight/Caverns of Time in their back pocket for changing whatever they want.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

After defeating Sargares and saving Azeroth the dwindling WoW players jump through a portal crated by Khadgar to find the lost paladin and elf from War2, Endless planet hoping WoW expansions.

Meanwhile back on Azeroth the new found peace grows tense as the two main factions split up into separate groups, war is on the horizon! Warcraft4 war! Humans, Dwarves, and Gnomes vs Undead and Blood Elves vs Draenei, Night Elves, and Wargen vs Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, and Goblins. Or maybe just balance 12 playable factions!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Billy Jo Robidoux posted:

After defeating Sargares and saving Azeroth the dwindling WoW players jump through a portal crated by Khadgar to find the lost paladin and elf from War2, Endless planet hoping WoW expansions.

Meanwhile back on Azeroth the new found peace grows tense as the two main factions split up into separate groups, war is on the horizon! Warcraft4 war! Humans, Dwarves, and Gnomes vs Undead and Blood Elves vs Draenei, Night Elves, and Wargen vs Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, and Goblins. Or maybe just balance 12 playable factions!
No way you could balance 12 factions. It could use the Red Alert 2 system where you pick your side but then pick a racial perk in addition.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Yeah maybe just have four real races with 12 different aesthetics to the buildings or something.

Complete WoW garrison achievements to get unique townhall models. Custom Hero Models and animations based on your WoW character.

Hire me Blizzard!

Star Frog fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 8, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I expect WC4 to borrow from HotS (not that one) to offer skins and poo poo. Maybe a system where each faction has about a dozen heroes, but you pick three to use in game; that kind of account bound stuff.

Edit: Summoner spells tied to account level that do Red Alert superweapon attacks.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 11, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I could see a new RTS really doing the cosmetic DLC. You could be paying to have your blademaster hero to look all weabo samurai and for your grunts to wear party hats and attack with fish instead of axes.

It it was more War3 than SC2 with the bigger focus on micro and unit longevity it might even be ok.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
It's pretty cool looking through the WC3 Alpha and pre-Alpha stuff that's still floating around. I followed the game's development obsessively as a kid.

The most interesting thing is actually seeing how game designers conserve and re-purpose assets once they've been made. I think pretty much every unit which was announced ended up in the final game, even if as a campaign unit. Sylvanus uses a model which was one of the alliance heroes before they went down from four to three per faction.

There's some nice little things as well, like the point where the Frost Wyrm was wingless and the Lich's ultimate summon.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So what was the 6th faction meant to be? I know the 5th would have been the Burning Legion but I never heard a solid answer on the 6th.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So what was the 6th faction meant to be? I know the 5th would have been the Burning Legion but I never heard a solid answer on the 6th.

I'm guessing High Elves or Naga because they both had so many unique buildings in the (Expansion?) campaigns.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The elves really didn't get any unique buildings and their unique units were just reskins of other units. The Naga had unique units and buildings and workers and a hero, so I'd have to go with the Naga as the most likely 6th.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

if anybody knows the magic witching hour when you can find a game of eurofours, i am willing to sell my soul for it

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does anyone have a link to info on the alpha/development stuff? I'm putting together an LP of WC3 and that may be interesting to post between updates.

E: Hmm, I wonder if the RPS would have resembled a (much better) version of some of those custom maps like the Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft ones. Where you were mostly a hero going around doing quests, but you could buy items to kind of build up an ad-hoc base if you desired. (And, obviously, with a bit of the Rexxar campaign thrown in)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 13, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm still waiting for the WC2 where the orcs invade present-day earth.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Prav posted:

Where's the birth certificate, Obama? Zug zug.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gives a whole new meaning to the green party.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Node posted:

Zug zug.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Prav posted:

Warlords of Draenor 2: it's Time To Get Real

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Isn't that the plot to Duke Nukem 3D?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GigaPeon posted:

I'm guessing High Elves or Naga because they both had so many unique buildings in the (Expansion?) campaigns.

sirtommygunn posted:

The elves really didn't get any unique buildings and their unique units were just reskins of other units. The Naga had unique units and buildings and workers and a hero, so I'd have to go with the Naga as the most likely 6th.
Naga seems like a good bet but I'd also read speculation about Goblins, and a few wilder ideas. I'm guessing it wasn't developed much though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Naga seems like a good bet but I'd also read speculation about Goblins, and a few wilder ideas. I'm guessing it wasn't developed much though.

They had so many problems balancing War3, while Brood War somehow balanced itself, for years after they'd stopped making significant changes. Adding more factions would have just resulted in a constant hierarchy, and needless balancing complication.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I prefer lots of races and interesting/weird poo poo over perfectly balanced blandness every single time. But then it's not ~e-sports~

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Right. Because it isn't as if Blizzard is famous for making a nearly perfectly balanced game with three very distinct races that play very differently or anything like that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Which is great and I think Starcraft 2 is an amazing game. But I would have liked it a lot more if they had added a race and mixed up the existing races a lot more than they did, even if that happened at the expense of balance. That's just a personal preference, I like new and unique poo poo more than I like perfect balance.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They kind of fixed it in SC2, where for the campaign they let you have all the broken or removed units, and in HOTS they outright just let you get super units as a normal part of the campaign. It's not really an extra race, but it works out pretty nicely that they can do a lot of crazy stuff in the campaign without letting it affect the esports.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

IanTheM posted:

They had so many problems balancing War3, while Brood War somehow balanced itself, for years after they'd stopped making significant changes. Adding more factions would have just resulted in a constant hierarchy, and needless balancing complication.

War3 was fun but I don't think there's any 1v1 matchup in any blizzard game more unbalanced for the life of the game as UD vs Orc on any ladder map but especially non-tavern maps.

Maybe PvZ on desert oasis in early WoL counts.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I really wanted to sit down and play Warcraft 3 again, but when I downloaded it from my Bnet account, I found out it will no longer run on current OS X systems. I remember some chat about there being a HD version in the works (maybe it was just speculation?) and was wondering if theres been any word from Blizzard about updating it to run on current systems.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can run War3 singleplayer on current OS X but not multiplayer.

What's the problem you're getting when you download it? Is the problem that the installer is PPC only?
Unfortunately in that circumstance you will need to install it in Sheepshaver and then copy it to your computer then update it to an Intel compatible build.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
is anyone on....?

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Really wish I'd gotten into this game's multiplayer when there was still a big scene. It's a lot more interesting to watch than SC2, and to my memory a lot more fun to play as well.

I miss those days. Playing on the pirate b.net during beta in the dorms. We had 12 player FFAs and would meet up in the halls after each match to discuss it.

I took a bathroom break in my college computer engineering course and checked my email at a hall computer and saw I got in the TfT beta.

I like watching it more than SC2 since you were creep sniping, harassing, expanding and less units makes it less of a clusterfuck on screen.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That'd just be sweet. I also just want War3 with updated graphics but whatever. War3 was my favorite of any of the blizzard games.

They did put in the War3 models into SC2, I don't think they're all HD remakes, just the old models.

Node posted:

In a PC Gamer special, I think WoW's tenth anniversary, one of the Blizzard people they interviewed said that the Warcraft story is World of Warcraft now. So every deuce they have squeezed onto that game is now "canon."

If there is a Warcraft 4, it will be a World of Warcraft loveletter and completely unrecognizable.

They could do like hearthstone and just relive the story. Work on events leading up to world events?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Billy Elliot posted:

They did put in the War3 models into SC2, I don't think they're all HD remakes, just the old models.

You can also import WoW models into SC2, I think a few "Warcraft rebirth" maps of sorts have done that. If I had more time on my hands, I'd totally remake WoW as an RTS campaign in SC2, but alas...

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think the fact that they re-made the original Starcraft and Brood War campaigns into the SC2 model is pretty goddamn cool. I've only played the first few missions of the Terran campaign of it, but it felt so perfect I didn't want to waste my virginal replay of the whole thing, even though that's a lot of missions and it's been well over a decade since I've played them. Just sounds like it should be a lot of fun if done competently, and that's how it seemed. Though I have to say that I have a really high opinion of the Wings of Liberty/Heart of the Storm campaigns, and for casual players (like me) who consider multiplayer SC2 about a thousand times more anxiety/panic-inducing than anything that could be considered fun, the way they set up those campaigns was a lot of fun and left room for lots of replay value, at least based on my expectations.

So yeah, I mean, if someone found a way to take the WoW lore and actually make a decently fun playable single-player campaign out of it, that would be absolutely godly. Because any Warcraft lore that happened between the end of The Frozen Throne and the beginning of Hearthstone is an absolute friggin' mystery to me. Playing Hearthstone is funny just because I find out about all this incredibly absurd crap that's supposedly happened in Warcraft lore because of WoW, and pretty much all of it is just absolute absurd nonsense that I don't even bother paying attention to. I know the broad strokes and that seems to be all I need to know - if that.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
http://us.battle.net/arcade/en/blog/17796669/warcraft-iii-assets-now-available-on-the-ptr-2-2-2015

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I like how they managed to make the faces less expressive with the HD versions.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Synastren posted:

I like how they managed to make the faces less expressive with the HD versions.

I like how they made PotM's head smaller and then gave her tits bigger than her head.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

~Coxy posted:

You can run War3 singleplayer on current OS X but not multiplayer.

What's the problem you're getting when you download it? Is the problem that the installer is PPC only?
Unfortunately in that circumstance you will need to install it in Sheepshaver and then copy it to your computer then update it to an Intel compatible build.

It looks like they've removed the mac installers :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

I saw the post but I didn't actually click the pictures. Hot drat they updated the models! Too bad the SC2 match making won't work for war3 mods so I'll be stuck playing people who have been playing the game forever. Much like you trying to join a quake server and some Swede kicks your rear end.