Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Did every one here fire up a japanese campaign along with grey hunter? I've been using grey hunter's thread to help guide my efforts because running japan is quite a bit more work than the allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In retrospect WITP hardly ever using right-clicks would make it suited for tablet play

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
One of these days I will learn WITP inside and out... one of these days...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

In retrospect WITP hardly ever using right-clicks would make it suited for tablet play

Hmmmm! I was wondering why it was more natural than I expected

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Baloogan posted:

Did every one here fire up a japanese campaign along with grey hunter? I've been using grey hunter's thread to help guide my efforts because running japan is quite a bit more work than the allies.

I started a campaign sometime in the summer and sort of got back to it now, but the game is caught in a silly situation where I'm trying to drive the Americans away from Noumea but for some reason my lovely land units can't do poo poo against the Americal division and the other allied forces stuck there, despite the fact that I got more than six times the amounts of troops there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kemper Boyd posted:

I started a campaign sometime in the summer and sort of got back to it now, but the game is caught in a silly situation where I'm trying to drive the Americans away from Noumea but for some reason my lovely land units can't do poo poo against the Americal division and the other allied forces stuck there, despite the fact that I got more than six times the amounts of troops there.

What's their supply/morale status?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Alikchi posted:

I'm really glad I've gotten back into WiTP - haven't felt this groggy in years. Coordinating a landing operation with air and naval support and having it come off well is extraordinarily satisfying.

It's also the only Grigsby game I can stand, because it has benefited from a decade of patching, upgrades, and one full-on community remake.

This man here is beating me in BB killing in our joint game. I got BB Canada with a sub captain who is about to get an Iron Cross from the Emperor himself, and Alikchi snuck in and got another 3.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What's their supply/morale status?

They got a shitton of supply, since the AI uses Noumea as a major base. That's one problem. Their morale has remained pretty high, too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

dublish posted:

RPS had a bit about Battlefront and Steam today, and linked to this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117381-sell-on-steam/

"DRM protects you, the customer, from us going out of business."

:stare:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I think that Steam is a bad thing.
Maev

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think Steams dominance is a bad thing.
-I too, can faux sign my posts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't think it's "faux" if it's actually the person signing them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Baloogan posted:

HA HA HA mwah ha ha ha

You poor fool.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
For you lunatics that actually play WITP, how long does your usual session of playing the game last? Is it more than your "average" sitting to down to play computer time? How many turns do you get through on average? Obviously there's going to be wild variation in the middle of an offensive vs. just sitting around waiting for one to happen, but I'm interested in how much of a commitment it takes to "play" this "game".

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

For you lunatics that actually play WITP, how long does your usual session of playing the game last? Is it more than your "average" sitting to down to play computer time? How many turns do you get through on average? Obviously there's going to be wild variation in the middle of an offensive vs. just sitting around waiting for one to happen, but I'm interested in how much of a commitment it takes to "play" this "game".

I set up meticulously the attack on Pearl Harbor, shrug, hit next turn, watch my subs get caught in torpedo nets, hit exit, press the power button and go read half the time :v:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Does the demo of Combat Mission: Red Thunder have a Tutorial to learn the game with? I can't seem to find one. Is there a 'Quick Guide' around I can use?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The manual's online and all CM tutorials are "load this scenario read the manual pages telling you step-by-step how to do it." So read the manual slightly and just play around with it. The CM series is actually surprisingly intuitive and easy to learn.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I tend to leave it open all day :gonk: I don't actually play it all day, at least. At the moment I'm getting through two or tree turns a day usually, each one probably takes ~15 minutes of resolution (since I get sick satisfaction from watching every single .303 hit against the invasion flotillas), and 10-30 minutes of giving orders.

First thing I do is load the turn into tracker, then I look at the sigint report, check all the radio traffic, planning attacks and moving entries (most others you can ignore, unless they refer to a base you are planning on attacking soon) and issue any orders as a reaction if necessary. ~30 seconds to a minute or two if there was lots of juicy gossip this turn.

Then I pull up the alerts section, sort by type and just work down the list, reacting to everything as appropriate. This usually takes me all over the map, and I check everything over as I work down the list, since it doesn't tell you everything. Major things you need to look out for yourself are task forces arriving at destinations or returning to home base. Usually around 10 minutes.

Check every major task force I have a sea, adjust their orders as appropriate to the new situation. ~2 to maybe 5 minutes if something big is about to go down.

Check every major conflict zone for anything I've forgotten, tweaking LCU or plane orders as appropriate, at the moment (end of January) this means Rabaul, Rangoon, Wake and Java in my campaign. ~5 minutes.

Check China, review land combat reports and tweak orders as appropriate. Land combat ins't the most engaging in WitP against the AI, so it basically consists of getting together a doomstack slightly larger than theirs, then parking it in a hex and letting them beat themselves bloody against it for a month or two. Occasionally something interesting happens like an opportunity to surround a large stack and cut if off from supplies. This is a huge timesink on turn 1 due to the sheer number of LCUs to issue orders to, but by Christmas things should have settled down to a few large slugfests. ~2 minutes.

Bring up the ships list, filter for submarines and sort by damage. Check all over ~30 or so total damage, and redirect to different bases if necessary. ~1 minute.

Check every major harbor for TFs arriving and departing, Karachi, Bomaby, Madras, Soerbaja, Darwin, Sydney, Suva, Pearl, LA are my main logistics hubs. All you need to do is check that there aren't any TFs sitting with finished missions. ~2 minutes, 10 at the most if you are sending some large troop convoys from LA or SF.

Post about WitP on the forums ~10 minutes :suicide:

Now that I've typed all that out it looks bloody ridiculous that I go through all that, but there's just nothing quite like it. :allears:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

I tend to leave it open all day :gonk: I don't actually play it all day, at least. At the moment I'm getting through two or tree turns a day usually, each one probably takes ~15 minutes of resolution (since I get sick satisfaction from watching every single .303 hit against the invasion flotillas), and 10-30 minutes of giving orders.

First thing I do is load the turn into tracker, then I look at the sigint report, check all the radio traffic, planning attacks and moving entries (most others you can ignore, unless they refer to a base you are planning on attacking soon) and issue any orders as a reaction if necessary. ~30 seconds to a minute or two if there was lots of juicy gossip this turn.

Then I pull up the alerts section, sort by type and just work down the list, reacting to everything as appropriate. This usually takes me all over the map, and I check everything over as I work down the list, since it doesn't tell you everything. Major things you need to look out for yourself are task forces arriving at destinations or returning to home base. Usually around 10 minutes.

Check every major task force I have a sea, adjust their orders as appropriate to the new situation. ~2 to maybe 5 minutes if something big is about to go down.

Check every major conflict zone for anything I've forgotten, tweaking LCU or plane orders as appropriate, at the moment (end of January) this means Rabaul, Rangoon, Wake and Java in my campaign. ~5 minutes.

Check China, review land combat reports and tweak orders as appropriate. Land combat ins't the most engaging in WitP against the AI, so it basically consists of getting together a doomstack slightly larger than theirs, then parking it in a hex and letting them beat themselves bloody against it for a month or two. Occasionally something interesting happens like an opportunity to surround a large stack and cut if off from supplies. This is a huge timesink on turn 1 due to the sheer number of LCUs to issue orders to, but by Christmas things should have settled down to a few large slugfests. ~2 minutes.

Bring up the ships list, filter for submarines and sort by damage. Check all over ~30 or so total damage, and redirect to different bases if necessary. ~1 minute.

Check every major harbor for TFs arriving and departing, Karachi, Bomaby, Madras, Soerbaja, Darwin, Sydney, Suva, Pearl, LA are my main logistics hubs. All you need to do is check that there aren't any TFs sitting with finished missions. ~2 minutes, 10 at the most if you are sending some large troop convoys from LA or SF.

Post about WitP on the forums ~10 minutes :suicide:

Now that I've typed all that out it looks bloody ridiculous that I go through all that, but there's just nothing quite like it. :allears:

Idly pan around, speculate as to where the Japanese might be weak, check planning levels for the next invasion (again, still 1,5 months to go for full planning), check reinforcement queues (again), half-way plan where the units planes and ships will go when they arrive, realize you get a new African division soon, and it would be perfect to use it for Port Blair, but you've already set a British div to train for Port Blair, and the Africans are too weak to fight in the jungles on the mainland, etc. etc. etc. ~30 minutes. :v:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And then after all that you periodically find TFs and air units and entire fronts of the war that you had completely forgotten about; resolve yourself to check _everything_ this turn....

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Over my Christmas holiday, I spent about two hours one afternoon setting up my "perfect" Day One orders/organization for WitP, making a few notes in a txt file along the way so I would remember all of it. Then I stuck the save and the notes in a zip file and have been using that as my default start.

The first turn always takes a good while otherwise, but after a week or two of longer turns in-game, you settle into a rhythm and things go quick. See Grey's first WitP LP where he'd have a ton of days where very little happened while he just waited for troops to assemble/convoys to arrive. Turns like that are like ten minutes a piece.

Edit: oh yeah, and I'm almost always doing something else while I play WitP. Watching Netflix, chatting in IRC, listening to music, browsing. It never has my full undivided attention for more than short intervals. Its a really good game once you "get" it, though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 12, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I go through a yearly ritual of starting a new game of WITP, playing ... oh to the end of December or so, and then having it fall off the radar.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In the Combat Mission Black Sea beta PBEM game the US+Ukraine side has gone from defense to counter-attack with something ludicrous like 14 Abrams tanks against a small number of T-90s and BMP-3s. It's crazy how invulnerable the Abrams (or any MBT) fitted with APS and ERA is even when they are ambushed close up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRB9V22ias
brought to you by www.bandicam.com!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

For the record, turns out CM:BB works absolutely fine on a modern windows 7 system without it extra pay patch.

Other than the resolution selection being "Is this resolution good? No? What about this one? No? Etc..."

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Asehujiko posted:

How are those guys still in business? Not just the anti steam stance but the "Steve" actively getting into forum slapfights thing.

One of the WITP:AE developers actually got banned from the Matrix Games forums for getting in fights with people, so it could get a lot worse.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gohuskies posted:

One of the WITP:AE developers actually got banned from the Matrix Games forums for getting in fights with people, so it could get a lot worse.

Lol got any links, I need a good laugh

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
In WITP:AE, do the Naval Search airplanes attack boats they find? I got a message processing a turn that a H6K4 hit and sunk a cargo ship. I know ASW seems to do this, but I thought they would bring up a screen for it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm giving WitP:AE Scenario 1 a try as the allies and I'm trying to set up my logistics network.
The eastern half of the Pacific seems pretty straightforward. Fuel from LA, supplies from SF, ship to Pearl Harbor and Sydney, then use those two as hubs for supplying regional bases (with smaller hubs as needed - I haven't gotten that far yet).

But what about the western half: India, DEI before it falls. Should I ship things from the UK, Canada, Eastern US off-map bases, and if so, should I use one to ship fuel and another to ship supplies?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cape Town -> Perth is one of the main convoys you should establish asap. It's safe from patrols, and its quicker to get supplies to Sydney then waiting for ships to cross the Pacific. Otherwise just send all your tankers up to Abadan and ship fuel to wherever you need it.

On Battlefront, I'm fairly sympathetic with the devs - they're just a few old grogs who want to make tactical warfare sandboxes. It's a niche of a niche and they're happy to play it conservatively. But even with more income and a larger player base, I don't think the quality or development time of their games would change that much.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Windy posted:

In WITP:AE, do the Naval Search airplanes attack boats they find? I got a message processing a turn that a H6K4 hit and sunk a cargo ship. I know ASW seems to do this, but I thought they would bring up a screen for it.

Yes, a good reason to have your naval search pilots be trained in naval bombing as well. There's no animation, just a brief message.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lord Windy posted:

You literally blew up one of my xAKL's doing this last turn!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

In my experience the search pilots claim way more than they can actually possibly have hit, but they do hit things occasionally all the same. I'm not sure what happens if you have them search while carrying torpedoes, they might actually be quite deadly like that. On the other hand they might get shot down a whole lot more I'd guess.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
In anticipation of the new CM game would anyone know of a guide or tutorial for how to play the game and be good at it? I don't mean to win every time because that's not the point, but one on how to think tactically or something. I just need some help with breaking through the wall of the game. Thanks everyone.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Look at a map in front of you, and divide it mentally into, say, 10x10 meter squares. Go through each of the squares according to the following flowchart:

1. Could the enemy possibly be there?
---> YES: Shoot at it while you approach
---> NO: If you've got spare ammo or artillery, shoot at it anyway.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pharnakes posted:

In my experience the search pilots claim way more than they can actually possibly have hit, but they do hit things occasionally all the same. I'm not sure what happens if you have them search while carrying torpedoes, they might actually be quite deadly like that. On the other hand they might get shot down a whole lot more I'd guess.

Planes carry their reduced secondary bombload on NAVS and Asw missions so as far as I know no planes carry torpedoes.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Catalinas and H6/8Ks can carry two torpedoes though can't they?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pharnakes posted:

Catalinas and H6/8Ks can carry two torpedoes though can't they?

Not as part of their extended range load.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

leekster posted:

In anticipation of the new CM game would anyone know of a guide or tutorial for how to play the game and be good at it? I don't mean to win every time because that's not the point, but one on how to think tactically or something. I just need some help with breaking through the wall of the game. Thanks everyone.

Shoot first.

Easy to say, hard to do. Here is another one. Never put a platoon where you have not first put a team, never a company where you have not put a platoon, never a battalion or tank where you have not put a company. Also always have your C3 chain up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

dtkozl posted:

Shoot first.

Easy to say, hard to do. Here is another one. Never put a platoon where you have not first put a team, never a company where you have not put a platoon, never a battalion or tank where you have not put a company. Also always have your C3 chain up.

Master the 'machine gun creeping barrage' to protect advancing troops. It's what it says on the tin.

Also I need to start playing Red Thunder again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So its the beginning of February now, Singapore and Cagayan have fallen and although Clark Field stands strong for now it probably won't last much beyond the end of the month. What do I do with all the planes and pilots? For Singapore it was easy, I just pulled them out to Batavia when I felt that the situation was irretrievable, but it would be a shame to loose the experience gained in 2 months of air war. Can I just withdraw the groups, and they will get to the pools even if there isn't any friendly bases within transfer range? Do I have to arrange submarine evacuation for them? Is it even possible to only transport pilots of a squadron without their planes?

How does the whole request veteran mechanic work? I mean I get that I press that button and get an experienced pilot assigned to that squadron, but when should I use it? Can I send veterans to do "off map" instruction so that my new pilots arrive with better stats? Or do I have to micromanage it via my on map restricted area squadrons?