Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

kongurous posted:

Normally I'd agree but this place is frequently hostile about the people on the writing and tries to bust their asses on some things maybe they don't really need to be busted on, and a refusal to acknowledge that is pretty blind.

e: also it's not like holden got to be a mod on RPG.net by sucking dick. The discussions there aren't dominated by people fawning over how awesome he is, either.

Plus the whole thing about WTF, D&D? saying everyone involved in the production of Exalted and White Wolf in general should have lit dynamite shoved up their asses (among other things). Kinda crossed a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

kongurous posted:

e: also it's not like holden got to be a mod on RPG.net by sucking dick. The discussions there aren't dominated by people fawning over how awesome he is, either.

It is still completely loving ridiculous that apparently no one at RPG.net sees even the appearance of a conflict of interest with Ex3's editor and one of its primary writers being moderators. If Mike Mearls wanted to mod the D20 forums, would they let him? Should GMS have authority over the Far West Kickstarter thread?

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 6, 2015

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
When you write for a line that had a splatbook where it is heavily implied your character is the victim of sexual abuse, and then suggests you and all your buddies might like to get together and continue that abuse on an underage girl? And follow that up in the new edition with charms that grant you ghostly servants who's only real purpose is to sexually abuse people? No, you deserve every bit of ball busting you get. The internet echochamber has messed up people's brains and made them think that poo poo is okay. In the real world, where people go to the store and flip through the new E3 book and see that sort of thing, it turns out it's actually really hosed up and they wonder why they bother with this loving hobby.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It is kind of insane that one person wrote that, another person edited that, a third person illustrated that, and a fourth laid that out, and either none of them realized it was going to be a problem, or none of them were able to convince the developer that it was going to be a problem.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Shardix posted:

When you write for a line that had a splatbook where it is heavily implied your character is the victim of sexual abuse, and then suggests you and all your buddies might like to get together and continue that abuse on an underage girl?
Holden and hatewheel didn't write these portions and had no say over the people who did, so holding them responsible for it is retarded. Keep in mind that everyone everywhere universally considered those parts of the Infernals book to be something you should toss in the trash, including by the game's current developers, and the people who wrote them will never write another part of Exalted again.

Shardix posted:

And follow that up in the new edition with charms that grant you ghostly servants who's only real purpose is to sexually abuse people?
Cite for me the words where any charm says this.

Parkreiner posted:

It is still completely loving ridiculous that apparently no one at RPG.net sees even the appearance of a conflict of interest with Ex3's editor and one of its primary writers being moderators. If Mike Mearls wanted to mod the D20 forums, would they let him? Should GMS have authority over the Far West Kickstarter thread?
Evidently they've judged it to not be a problem. What puts you or anyone else in a position of knowledge to judge how their website is run? How do you know that Holden doesn't have a restriction against moderating poo poo about his own game or whatever?

kongurous fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

kongurous posted:

Evidently they've judged it to not be a problem. What puts you or anyone else in a position of knowledge to judge how their website is run? How do you know that Holden doesn't have a restriction against moderating poo poo about his own game or whatever?

Because no one on staff has said he does whenever people ask, just repeating that they don't think it's a problem (again, not even seeing the possibility of the appearance of conflict of interest). Do you have evidence to the contrary that I've missed?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why would Holden being an RPGnet moderator be a conflict of interest? He doesn't mod any of the Exalted or Onyx Path threads.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Parkreiner posted:

Because no one on staff has said he does whenever people ask, just repeating that they don't think it's a problem (again, not even seeing the possibility of the appearance of conflict of interest). Do you have evidence to the contrary that I've missed?

The burden of proof is on the one who lays the charges, yo. Also, circumstantial evidence; uninvolved moderators have modvoiced on the rpgnet threads but the writers who are also mods have not done so even once. Probably indicative of such a policy's existence or the existence of self-restriction.

kongurous fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 6, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking as a former RPGnet moderator, there is totally a policy against moderating threads about your own game, and it's not even a secret or anything.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking as a former RPGnet moderator, there is totally a policy against moderating threads about your own game, and it's not even a secret or anything.

This is the first time I have EVER seen this mentioned, including threads specifically criticizing Holden's mod status, and I don't see anything about it in the site FAQ or Trouble Tickets stickies, so I still think this needs to be way more transparent, but thanks for mentioning it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It is kind of insane that one person wrote that, another person edited that, a third person illustrated that, and a fourth laid that out, and either none of them realized it was going to be a problem, or none of them were able to convince the developer that it was going to be a problem.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, Catalyst Game Labs published a Shadowrun book that contained an adventure suggestion that entailed slaughtering your way through the angry ghosts of the victims at Auschwitz II Birkenau to get ahold of the scalpel used by a Mengele stand-in because it was a magic item thanks to the horrors it was used to inflict.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, Catalyst Game Labs published a Shadowrun book that contained an adventure suggestion that entailed slaughtering your way through the angry ghosts of the victims at Auschwitz II Birkenau to get ahold of the scalpel used by a Mengele stand-in because it was a magic item thanks to the horrors it was used to inflict.

Catalyst Game Labs are not a proud name to be compared to these days, after the whole 'embezzling money and not paying their freelancers' dealy. So, not so much.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Even so there's definitely a different tone to exalted discussions on RPGnet versus... basically anywhere where its writers AREN'T moderators. Even if there's a policy against actually moderating your own game, it does seem to change how people discuss it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

Even so there's definitely a different tone to exalted discussions on RPGnet versus... basically anywhere where its writers AREN'T moderators. Even if there's a policy against actually moderating your own game, it does seem to change how people discuss it.

That might have something to do with RPGnet and the Onyx Path forums (who based their rules off RPGnet) having very strict policies against personal attacks, and a very strong preference for civility, which aren't part of the policy of, say, Something Awful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

That might have something to do with RPGnet and the Onyx Path forums (who based their rules off RPGnet) having very strict policies against personal attacks, and a very strong preference for civility, which aren't part of the policy of, say, Something Awful.
Don't worry, we have many experts in passive aggression as well

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Don't worry, we have many experts in passive aggression as well

Arguably those forums have a policy against that as well, it's just a lot harder to spot. (It's also difficult to ban someone for something that's not obvious to the average user who hasn't been scrutinizing their posts for problem posting without taking a bunch of heat from their friends who don't see what the big deal is, unless you've collected a serious paper trail.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Arguably those forums have a policy against that as well, it's just a lot harder to spot. (It's also difficult to ban someone for something that's not obvious to the average user who hasn't been scrutinizing their posts for problem posting without taking a bunch of heat from their friends who don't see what the big deal is, unless you've collected a serious paper trail.)
This is part of why we have probations here, really, so some guy being a douche bag can go to cat jail for three days and think about what he did.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

Unless there's a policy against moderators speaking to each other and, hell, against revealing to the public that they are moderators it is obviously going to affect discussion.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Its really weird because I only owned the E2 core and Lunars book and found that poo poo really bad so got rid of both and had no idea about the serial child rape demons until this whole thing happened. I don't think everyone at "white wolf" should be blown up or whatever but I really wonder how that whole thing happened.

E: My hatred for rpg.net and anime makes me think that they just kept ratcheting it up in "weirdness" between freelancers and then were like "welp lets go with this, anime."

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 8, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

Its really weird because I only owned the E2 core and Lunars book and found that poo poo really bad so got rid of both and had no idea about the serial child rape demons until this whole thing happened. I don't think everyone at "white wolf" should be blown up or whatever but I really wonder how that whole thing happened.

E: My hatred for rpg.net and anime makes me think that they just kept ratcheting it up in "weirdness" between freelancers and then were like "welp lets go with this, anime."

It's not even as complicated as that. John Chambers took a hands-off approach to developing Exalted 2e and let his writers put in pretty much whatever they wanted without giving them any direction (even if they contradicted each other). One writer decided that Lillun was a good body-horror direction for Infernals, and wrote it. It went into the book without anybody saying "no" or trying to make it mesh with the back half of the book because that's how the entire edition went under Chambers.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's not even as complicated as that. John Chambers took a hands-off approach to developing Exalted 2e and let his writers put in pretty much whatever they wanted without giving them any direction (even if they contradicted each other). One writer decided that Lillun was a good body-horror direction for Infernals, and wrote it. It went into the book without anybody saying "no" or trying to make it mesh with the back half of the book because that's how the entire edition went under Chambers.

To be fair the back half of the book, at least the Charms chapter, also has references to Infernals making captured prisoners only able to eat their own poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stallion Cabana posted:

To be fair the back half of the book, at least the Charms chapter, also has references to Infernals making captured prisoners only able to eat their own poo poo
Alright I think I read that part of the book a few times, you're gonna have to give me a quote on this one. I think that one would've stuck out (though there might have been some allusional reference, or possibly had it used as an example). Or was it that locust food charm?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

No, that's in Broken-Winged Crane.

By Hunger Nourished posted:

Repeated use of this Charm to make a victim unable to eat anything at hand will eventually lead to fatal starvation. It is possible to select matter that is utterly inaccessible, like the tears of Saturn, though most Infernals stick with the old comic standby of making prisoners eat their own excrement. Though they might wish otherwise, targets with modified diets intuitively understand what they need to eat to survive.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Nessus posted:

Alright I think I read that part of the book a few times, you're gonna have to give me a quote on this one. I think that one would've stuck out (though there might have been some allusional reference, or possibly had it used as an example). Or was it that locust food charm?

Rand Brittain posted:

No, that's in Broken-Winged Crane.

He is correct. By Hunger Nourished in Broken Winged Crane, so sorry, it was actually only in material they cut for space from the book.

I think I've made that mistake 2 or 3 times by now and never remember it.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 8, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The more I know about Exalted the less I want to play it.

:v: "I make him unable to eat anything but his own poo poo then throw him in the pit of Apes that ejaculate petroleum. It's all in the books!"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Don't forget the blood ape towel boy in the 1st ed abyssals opening fic. "His cock did riseth" indeed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ronwayne posted:

Don't forget the blood ape towel boy in the 1st ed abyssals opening fic. "His cock did riseth" indeed.
Well you see, that was in 1E so it doesn't count.

Frankly I've never been a fan of all this chapter-fiction poo poo, and i was annoyed that half the stretch goals for Wraith were "we'll have even more fiction!" The fiction blurbs (sans the deathlord handies) do have some value in these environments of course, because it can present the highly specific transhuman/parahuman/whatever states the game is trying to evoke in ways that even FATE (pbuh) may not. However, I sure never flipped through a White Wolf book and thought "you know what this needed? more fiction."

But maybe the novels sold and it is I who am the weird.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I've been reading the 2E Alchemicals book and seeing a charm that prevents your mortal support unit from getting killed. They get maimed or routed or knocked out, but not killed. An alchemical with that and a few medical charms could have a regenerating, ablative wall of HP to tool around with 25/7.

Can you make a Tiger-Warrior based build in 3E? Can I build a dude that is better than a lone duelist as long as he has an open field and his men behind them?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mile'ionaha posted:

I've been reading the 2E Alchemicals book and seeing a charm that prevents your mortal support unit from getting killed. They get maimed or routed or knocked out, but not killed. An alchemical with that and a few medical charms could have a regenerating, ablative wall of HP to tool around with 25/7.

Can you make a Tiger-Warrior based build in 3E? Can I build a dude that is better than a lone duelist as long as he has an open field and his men behind them?

War Charms were hella alpha last I checked the playtest, so...nobody has any idea at all. Sorry.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Buy the book next year and you'll find out.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nessus posted:

Well you see, that was in 1E so it doesn't count.

Frankly I've never been a fan of all this chapter-fiction poo poo, and i was annoyed that half the stretch goals for Wraith were "we'll have even more fiction!"

If White Wolf had to sell games on the power of their mechanics this thread wouldn't exist. Fluff is all they got.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fans posted:

If White Wolf had to sell games on the power of their mechanics this thread wouldn't exist. Fluff is all they got.
I like the fluff better when it's in the context of worldbook/guidebook stuff rather than more stories about Erik, the MRWraith.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Compass books were some of my favorite Exalted stuff. The second Autocthonia one in particular was a real gem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fans posted:

The Compass books were some of my favorite Exalted stuff. The second Autocthonia one in particular was a real gem.
Yeah, while the execution could be mixed, the concept of having the setting books be rationally organized and clearly labelled was a real loving step up after how 1E did it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Yeah, while the execution could be mixed, the concept of having the setting books be rationally organized and clearly labelled was a real loving step up after how 1E did it.

I can't say I agree.

First Edition gave locations like An-Teng their own half a book, making them just one of many interesting places on the map, said map being more or less full of blank spaces for the player to fill in. Second Edition spent most of the space in the Compass books copy-pasting that information into a single book and implying, since this was The Big Book of the South, that those places were the only important places in the South. (Also it often implied that they had significant interaction with each other, even though they were insanely far away from each other.)

That said, most of the Compass books aren't actively bad (except East, which I will never forgive for answering forever the mystery of What The Hell Is Up With Chaya); North and Yu-Shan are quite good, and Autochthonia is really spectacular.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't say I agree.

First Edition gave locations like An-Teng their own half a book, making them just one of many interesting places on the map, said map being more or less full of blank spaces for the player to fill in. Second Edition spent most of the space in the Compass books copy-pasting that information into a single book and implying, since this was The Big Book of the South, that those places were the only important places in the South. (Also it often implied that they had significant interaction with each other, even though they were insanely far away from each other.)

That said, most of the Compass books aren't actively bad (except East, which I will never forgive for answering forever the mystery of What The Hell Is Up With Chaya); North and Yu-Shan are quite good, and Autochthonia is really spectacular.
So if there's a book on the highlights and a selection of the greatest hits of a region, that implies those are the only interesting places in a region, but when a book is half about one city, that does not suggest that that city is the only place in that region that matters? Perhaps that region is implicitly smaller, of course, than 'the entire 'direction' of Creation,' but how does that not have the same effect? e: Like when you say An-Teng took up half a book, presumably that means there was other stuff in that book; a supplement framed as "An-Teng and surroundings" might not have this implicatory effect (though it would probably still get used a whole lot), maybe.

Like I've never gotten this. I also don't understand what's wrong with noting political or economic connections between even far-distant places, since that would probably be germane to how characters might move their activities from one place to another -- is that bad? Should characters not be bouncing over Creation's map if they want to?

As for interactions with far-distant locations, that doesn't seem absurd, especially if they're both on trade routes or have coast access. I'm not sure how to put "ships can travel remarkably quickly" in a suitably saucy way but they sure can do that thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

So if there's a book on the highlights and a selection of the greatest hits of a region, that implies those are the only interesting places in a region, but when a book is half about one city, that does not suggest that that city is the only place in that region that matters? Perhaps that region is implicitly smaller, of course, than 'the entire 'direction' of Creation,' but how does that not have the same effect? e: Like when you say An-Teng took up half a book, presumably that means there was other stuff in that book; a supplement framed as "An-Teng and surroundings" might not have this implicatory effect (though it would probably still get used a whole lot), maybe.

Like I've never gotten this. I also don't understand what's wrong with noting political or economic connections between even far-distant places, since that would probably be germane to how characters might move their activities from one place to another -- is that bad? Should characters not be bouncing over Creation's map if they want to?

I dunno, does a book about Conway, SC imply that there's nothing else going on in South Carolina? It wouldn't if there were a lot of brief mentions of other places that Conway interacts with that aren't in the book. But it might if the book doesn't mention anything else nearby but talked a lot about Conway's connections with New York and San Francisco.

And if you wrote a book called "Compass of Nonfictional Directions: North America" that had seven chapters, one each for New York, San Francisco, Conway, Dallas, Duluth, Chicago, and Salt Lake City, and didn't really mention any other cities but did mention the interactions between those seven cities, then yes, I would take that as an implication that there aren't any other important places in the region.

(It also puts you in a position where once you've written all the Compass books, there's nowhere in the production schedule to cleanly fit in new location books.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I dunno, does a book about Conway, SC imply that there's nothing else going on in South Carolina? It wouldn't if there were a lot of brief mentions of other places that Conway interacts with that aren't in the book. But it might if the book doesn't mention anything else nearby but talked a lot about Conway's connections with New York and San Francisco.

And if you wrote a book called "Compass of Nonfictional Directions: North America" that had seven chapters, one each for New York, San Francisco, Conway, Dallas, Duluth, Chicago, and Salt Lake City, and didn't really mention any other cities but did mention the interactions between those seven cities, then yes, I would take that as an implication that there aren't any other important places in the region.

(It also puts you in a position where once you've written all the Compass books, there's nowhere in the production schedule to cleanly fit in new location books.)
My impressions of the 1E setting books were a lot like the NY/SF/Conway/Dallas/etc. list you outline there, except it was more like "NEW YORK! And also the nearby Conway."

Then the next book would be "The dark mysteries of the Mor-Men of Salt Lake City... and also Chicago in the back."

Then you'd get "SONS OF THE COWBOYS," which would focus on Arlen, Texas with a chapter in the back about Dallas.

Then you'd get two books on the gripping conflict seizing the greater Duluth area. This would contain information about Fort Worth.

San Fransisco would have been discussed sporadically throughout, as well as getting significant reference in Exalted: The Californicaters, but would not be concretely described until the supplement focusing on the Latin Kings and their connections to ancient Solar tombs, as well as Burning Man.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, maybe! Instead of arguing about that today, I'll pass on that according to today's Monday update notes, all the book's files are now with layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cool, what's missing now? Layout editing? Color redressing? Super final express editing?

Feels like we've gotten like twenty "Final stage" anouncements.

• Locked thread