Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Because it doesn't appeal me to personally so it's wrong and bad just like Lets Plays and rap music.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

blackguy32 posted:

It sounds really cool on paper, but when you actually play it, it was janky as gently caress. For some reason, not all of your shots registered when you were shooting someone and after a while, it was just nothing but a headshot a thon.

The lag could make cqcing people annoying and a nightmare and then you just sat there watching your guy lay knocked out.

Even at the height of MGS4's release, MGO wasn't very popular, and for good reason.

Yeah, MGO suffered from the same god drat stun/hit animations that MGS4 did so you could let out a burst of like 10 rounds but only 2 will actually hit the guy because you had to wait for the victim to finish his "OW!" animation for getting hit by the first bullet. It was awful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Please don't compare rap music and let's plays.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have a capable PC now and I tried Planetside 2 (Beta for PS4 comes on the 20th) but let me just say, unless somehow playing it on PS4 just feels more fun/better... this is a really lame game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

Please don't compare rap music and let's plays.

http://lparchive.org/PaRappa-the-Rapper/

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

http://lparchive.org/50-Cent-Blood-on-the-Sand/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The IGN beyond podcast was OK during launch but apparently Greg Miller and co. just quit IGN.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Gaming podcasts do start falling into that "why am I listening to someone talk about games when I can just play those games" and tend to be less funny than lparchives or just, you know, friends you play with, so they get boring quickly. But if you don't have a lot of friends who play games or those that do aren't funny are interesting, you'll always have your best bud Jeff Gerstmann.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Feenix posted:

So I have a capable PC now and I tried Planetside 2 (Beta for PS4 comes on the 20th) but let me just say, unless somehow playing it on PS4 just feels more fun/better... this is a really lame game.

Just curious what makes you say that? Were you running around solo? I'm not sure how much real fun you can have with the game solo. You really need a squad/outfit and have armadas of land/air vehicles and picking your own skirmishes to get the most out of it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

bloodychill posted:

Gaming podcasts do start falling into that "why am I listening to someone talk about games when I can just play those games" and tend to be less funny than lparchives or just, you know, friends you play with, so they get boring quickly. But if you don't have a lot of friends who play games or those that do aren't funny are interesting, you'll always have your best bud Jeff Gerstmann.

Sometimes I listen to gaming podcasts while playing games. Usually multiplayer online games like Mario Kart 8 or whatever where the audio isn't important after hearing it for 20 hours already.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Again, it all comes back to MGS4 that had an in-game podcast about the game.

Kojima-san...

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Watching other people play video games is boring and lame, but I turn on twitch streaming while I play anyway.

I'm glad I played Infamous:SS before GTAV. There is a clear quality difference between the two, even if GTA is sharp port from last gen.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Harlock posted:

Again, it all comes back to MGS4 that had an in-game podcast about the game.

Kojima-san...

This was legit cool. The podcasts had interviews with developers basically giving you guided tours through levels while telling anecdotes for cut content (which MGS4 must've been full of) and letting you know where all the good pickups are.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Is it recommended to wait for Wolfenstein to download the ridiculous 5 GB update or is all that data for simple stuff that I can just play the game while it downloads?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theBeaz posted:

Just curious what makes you say that? Were you running around solo? I'm not sure how much real fun you can have with the game solo. You really need a squad/outfit and have armadas of land/air vehicles and picking your own skirmishes to get the most out of it.

Sorry, that was a lovely post on my part. Call something lame and not say why...

The movement, graphics, environments all feel janky. The graphics are just bad, in my opinion. The environs are empty and rather simplistic. The gunplay feels underdeveloped and unrefined. I had a great connection with low latency and there was a lot of "get run over by an ATV, fall down and die 2 seconds later."

Everything about it just felt really superficial and not-very-polished.

Also the yo and everything else felt like it was from an early 2000's game and it just made me audibly wonder to myself if SOE was capable of anything better...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ometeotl posted:

Is it recommended to wait for Wolfenstein to download the ridiculous 5 GB update or is all that data for simple stuff that I can just play the game while it downloads?

I mean, you can't play online if you're not patched up.

Wolfenstein has no online features.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, you can't play online if you're not patched up.

Wolfenstein has no online features.

I think a 5 gb patch handles more than just online features. You're going to have to play for an hour to see the title screen anyway. Why not wait ten minutes or so for a patch?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haris pilton posted:

Please stop now

I can already tell I'm in for something amazingly stupid, you can't stop me now :shepface:.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can already tell I'm in for something amazingly stupid, you can't stop me now :shepface:.

I didn't think Shadow Fall was anymore offensive than any of the other Killzone games. They pretty much drop the whole stealth thing halfway through the game anyways and it turns into pretty much all the other Killzones.

It just had a lot more attention on it since it was a launch title.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hav posted:

Where can I buy Gears of War for the Playstation 4, as it appears to be a better game that 'The Order' according to a cop.

For real tho, this actually almost happened after Gears of War 3 came out, but Microsoft was able to secure the I.P. from Epic Games. Epic Games was ready to find a publisher to release Gears of War on PlayStation.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bunky posted:

I think a 5 gb patch handles more than just online features. You're going to have to play for an hour to see the title screen anyway. Why not wait ten minutes or so for a patch?
5GB in 10 minutes... :negative:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

I think performance isn't great pre-patch but I'm pretty sure it's playable, so you could just play without patch for tonight (it'll download in the background anyway).

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Follow That Fish! posted:

Even though Giant Bombcast slightly annoys me in every episode*, it's still by far the best gaming podcast I've tried. Just listen to something educational and become a smarter person instead of doing more gaming podcasts!

* Probably because I've learned to know their mannerisms by listening to them for awhile. Like whenever Jeff starts describing what he's been playing, he'll virtually always go like "yeah, haven't played it much, seems pretty cool" and then proceeds to describe everything that's wrong in the game for five minutes. Stuff that does work and is interesting in the games they discuss ends up getting way less airtime.

Jeff Gerstmann hasn't liked playing videogames since the late 90's. He just likes to complain about things and videogames are what he finds easiest to complain about and earn some kind of living doing it. I can't believe that people listen to him, to be honest.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

my favorite guy who talks about playing video games is so and so but i hate this other guy who plays video games and talks about it

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

The IGN beyond podcast was OK during launch but apparently Greg Miller and co. just quit IGN.

They left, but they'll still come in to record the show as contractors now. Which reminds me, I should probably go back on the show while they're there or the people that take over will forget I was ever on it just like everyone else who left. They'll eventually hand the reins over to someone else, but that's basically the best way people will know about them, so they worked out a pretty solid deal where they can be their own company and still milk as much weekly attention as possible off those that haven't followed Kinda Funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I used to love gaming podcasts when I had 8 hours a day to listen to podcasts at work. Ever since then I'll try to check one out every few months and they are all pretty unlistenable. Idle Thumbs is decent if you don't mind guys occasionally getting a little too emotional about some indie game. It also isn't 3 hours long like the rest of them.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Bass Bottles posted:

Sometimes I listen to gaming podcasts while playing games. Usually multiplayer online games like Mario Kart 8 or whatever where the audio isn't important after hearing it for 20 hours already.

Yeah, I do the same. When I still played Destiny and needed to grind the bullshit planetary materials for upgrades, I just turned the volume down and listened to Giant Bombcast. At the time they often lambasted Destiny for being and insufferable grind and I'd be like "yeah... don't I loving know?"

Goddamn Destiny though. I don't think I've played a game for nearly 200 hours and feel so completely soured by it afterwards.

GOOCHY posted:

Jeff Gerstmann hasn't liked playing videogames since the late 90's. He just likes to complain about things and videogames are what he finds easiest to complain about and earn some kind of living doing it. I can't believe that people listen to him, to be honest.

I'm not listening to Jeff. I could listen to Brad talking about anything. :sax:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamn Destiny though. I don't think I've played a game for nearly 200 hours and feel so completely soured by it afterwards.
Why did you put that much time into it if you weren't enjoying it :psyboom:

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why did you put that much time into it if you weren't enjoying it :psyboom:

I was enjoying it for most of the time. Like people still playing will tell you, mechanically it's absolutely brilliant.

My breaking points were the grinds and the extortion scheme they called DLC. The sourness sinked in after I decided to let go.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 13, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bloodychill posted:

Since I can't play games at work and there's only so much music in the world, gaming podcasts appeal to me. Gerstmann is awesome because he loving hates everything but finds these ridiculous games to champion even though he knows they are bad (the WWF card game). Brad is the opposite, where he defends what he's playing even if it's horrible garbage (Dead Rising 3, Destiny). I really do miss Vinny though because he was the most naturally funny part of the Bombcast.

I stumbled on the Rooster Teeth podcast which does a lot of gaming stuff but also tv, movies, culture, etc. Anyway, yeah I wish I could just play PS4 all day but sometimes a couple hours of nerds talking about games helps pass the time.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Imagine if planetside 2 cost $80-90aud at launch like titanfall (lol)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I was enjoying it for most of the time. Like people still playing will tell you, mechanically it's absolutely brilliant.

I disagree with this. Like, I will absolutely admit that I have never played a game on a console with such satisfying gunplay. But mechanics aren't just how you interact with the game but what the game gives you to interact with and on this front, Destiny was an utter failure. I have not seen encounter design as poo poo as it is in Destiny since Everquest 1.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

I'm not listening to Jeff. I could listen to Brad talking about anything. :sax:

Did you listen to Brad during the last GOTY podcast episode? The 60+ nonstop minutes where he defended Destiny like someone would defend their family from an armed robber?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

At least people can play TitanFall on a console. :xd: I swear to god PlanetSide 2 is never coming out on PS4, but SoE claims it'll be this month.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MrLonghair posted:

Did you listen to Brad during the last GOTY podcast episode? The 60+ nonstop minutes where he defended Destiny like someone would defend their family from an armed robber?

He defended it during the "Best Visuals" category and, for all it's failings, Destiny does look pretty drat good. Don't see anything wrong with that. In fact I found it more frustrating that nobody would even consider it because the anti-Destiny fervor is still so strong.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, I was sort of half listening as I drove across the north eastern US.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

If it came with a good chunk of the gear unlocked or a lump of certs for you to unlock skill stuff with. Eh, it could work.
But if it was like booting up a fresh account, naw.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I said come in! posted:

At least people can play TitanFall on a console. :xd: I swear to god PlanetSide 2 is never coming out on PS4, but SoE claims it'll be this month.

Have we even seen any live gameplay footage?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Have we even seen any live gameplay footage?

This is beta gameplay from December 4th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQpsXA2WBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can the ps4 import without any modding?

• Locked thread