Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I settled on my great grandma's sauerkraut recipe (nearly done, texture and flavor are fantastic)

Share, please.

I've experimented a bit with non-plain kraut, with mixed results. Garlic kraut was yummy, but getting right amount of garlic was difficult.
Caraway seeds are another great add, but a little goes a LONG way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'll be in Charlotte NC next week for work... any restaurants that I should seek out?

My sister lives up there. We only really go to this surprisingly good little strip-mall italian place though on the northeast side of the 485 ring called Capriccio's. New York style stuff, super good. My sister says there's lots of good stuff in Uptown. I heard good things about Hazelnuts Creperie, but when we tried to go they were closed.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Doh004 posted:

We had to see if the NYT article about it was even close.

It was.
I thought they would have at least improved the service and front of house, but you didn't show up late, did you?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ascendance posted:

I thought they would have at least improved the service and front of house, but you didn't show up late, did you?

Front of house was lovely as hell; however, our server, Elyse, was really nice and super attentive. That may have also been because the restaurant was actually pretty empty on a Saturday night and we were her only table. But she was still good and didn't mess anything up.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Doh004 posted:

Front of house was lovely as hell; however, our server, Elyse, was really nice and super attentive. That may have also been because the restaurant was actually pretty empty on a Saturday night and we were her only table. But she was still good and didn't mess anything up.
Unfortunately its a tourist trap restaurant, with no dependence on repeat custom. You think they could do better, since tourists often go back to NYC several times to see shows and what not.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Casu Marzu posted:

:barf:

That looks like so loving horrible. Thanks for taking one for the team.

I'm guessing cuz of the location this is also stupid expensive for that slop

I had some friends who went there for the same reason as Doh004 and friends and you are correct.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I've never had acorn squash before, but I picked one up today.

Keeping in mind that I can't eat cheese, how should I prepare it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You should stuff it with cheese.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Why you say mean things.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Halve and fill with butter and maybe some brown sugar and roast it. Poke the flesh with a fork so it seeps in. Use the halves as personal sized fondue bowls.

You could also slice it, roast it with some curry powder and olive oil and dip it in greek yogurt.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Wtf, people. You are keeping Guy Fieri's American Bistro open with your, "I need to see if this place sucks as bad as the reviews say."

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ascendance posted:

Wtf, people. You are keeping Guy Fieri's American Bistro open with your, "I need to see if this place sucks as bad as the reviews say."

It's because we feel bad for shutting down the Tex Wasabi's in Sacramento.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's because we feel bad for shutting down the Tex Wasabi's in Sacramento.

Did that place finally close? good. Friends insisted on taking me and my wife there and it was pretty not good at all.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Echeveria posted:

I've never had acorn squash before, but I picked one up today.

Keeping in mind that I can't eat cheese, how should I prepare it?

roast a chicken and also potatoes and onions and acorn squash cubes. its really good I love it (you might say I like it)

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
The local grocery has Pork Legs on for about a buck a pound. I'm looking at that and thinking that it's a great deal, but worrying slightly about what to do with that much meat since I'm cooking for one. You could simply do a roast and pick at it all week, but does anyone have any brilliant ideas about maybe breaking down a pork leg into smaller portions?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

saints gambit posted:

The local grocery has Pork Legs on for about a buck a pound. I'm looking at that and thinking that it's a great deal, but worrying slightly about what to do with that much meat since I'm cooking for one. You could simply do a roast and pick at it all week, but does anyone have any brilliant ideas about maybe breaking down a pork leg into smaller portions?

Sounds like you have a perfect opportunity to cure your own ham :v:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

saints gambit posted:

you can debone it into smaller roasts/braises and into chunks for stews/chili/curry/braises. you can also grind it for meatballs, loaf, sausages, patties, ragu. You can cure it into a whole ham as mentioned, or in smaller chunks as bacon called cottage bacon. Pork legs are very versatile. They can be slow cooked/braised/stewed very easily but they can also take being ground, or even flash cooked if you slice it thin for stir fries.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Why does roommate keep putting my knives in the dishwasher? :(

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'll be in Charlotte NC next week for work... any restaurants that I should seek out?

Vietnam Grille on South Blvd. It's one of my favorite restaurants hands down, not just my favorite Vietnamese place. Their pho is terrific, but so is everything else. The chef/owner, Ricky, may chat you up as well.

Want Indian? Try Jaipur, a hole in the wall also on South Blvd (and very close to Vietnam Grille as well).

NY Pizza has some excellent NY-style pizza. It's not fancy but it's tasty as hell. Try their white pizza with spinach.

Soul Gastrolounge is a bit hipstery but their eclectic food is very good. Pricey, small plates though.

Zada Jane's is very good if you are vegetarian/vegan. Even if you aren't, they're still good.

Cafe Monte is a french bistro that I adore. Their short rib baguette sandwich is so good I have a very very difficult time trying anything else when I go there. They have excellent savory crepes.

The Waldhorn has good, authentic German food and very good beer.

Le Kebab in the University area has some really good Middle Eastern food. No ambience but who cares when you're just looking for tasty food.

If you're feeling like tacos or a burrito, The Burrito Factory is loving awesome. I've been going there at least once a week since I tried it on a whim one day. Their fish tacos are excellent (and they have Taco Tuesday, 99 cents for any kind), their shrimp burrito rules, and my girlfriend is gaga over their tofu tacos too. Very friendly people, to boot.

Ru San's has good sushi. Nikko has better sushi but you'll pay more.

The Liberty has very solid pub food and a good beer selection.

Amelie's is a French bakery/patisserie with a full service menu. Not too spendy and the food is excellent - I recommend the pate on baguette sandwich.

George's Brasserie is another French restaurant, can be a bit pricey, but I've never been disappointed. They have a large selection of raw oysters - take your server's recommendations.

I'm sure there are a million more I can't think of right now but that should get you going. Let me know if you have any specific cuisines or recommendations you're looking for.

Colt Cannon posted:

Sounds like you need to work on storing your knife somewhere safe and hidden when you're not using it (preferably in your roommate).

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 12, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Colt Cannon posted:

They are secretly Hitler. Kill them.

Also tell them that if they keep it up they are buying you replacements or rent is getting held back until they do that or stop loving up your knives.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Squashy Nipples posted:

Share, please.

I've experimented a bit with non-plain kraut, with mixed results. Garlic kraut was yummy, but getting right amount of garlic was difficult.
Caraway seeds are another great add, but a little goes a LONG way.

I only add the caraway when I do the prep, not before - meaning when I turn it with the fat and the wine, I have some lightly crushed seeds with that.

Is there another way?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Colt Cannon posted:

Do they have an electrical appliance of a value comparable?

Put that poo poo in the dishwasher..

Don't start it though - just leave it in there with the washer open, let them find it in there.

Everytime they leave your knives in the washer - do it again.

Keep. Doing. That.

Second stage is starting to take massive dumps, with the door open, while they have guests over - after having used your knives and left them in the dishwasher - to assert dominance, and express your discontent.

Third stage will be to leave used condoms on their door handle whenever they do it - start saving up used condoms now.. If they're hard to come by (there's a pun in there), used tampons will be fine, but be careful about how you harvest them.

They will figure it out eventually!

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I ended up just roasting the halves with earth balance and garlic, salt and pepper. It was really good, and they were pretty cheap so I have added a new item to my diet. Hooray.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
For 'kraut, I also like to add juniper berries and/or coriander seed (untoasted). I add that stuff plus peppercorns and some whole caraway while it's actually fermenting. Not a lot, just a bit. When they come in season this year, I plan to try including whole cippolini onions to my krautstravaganza and see if that turns out nicely. They were really good in jardiniere. Might try that with garlic scapes, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RedTonic posted:

For 'kraut, I also like to add juniper berries and/or coriander seed (untoasted). I add that stuff plus peppercorns and some whole caraway while it's actually fermenting. Not a lot, just a bit. When they come in season this year, I plan to try including whole cippolini onions to my krautstravaganza and see if that turns out nicely. They were really good in jardiniere. Might try that with garlic scapes, too.

The best kraut I've ever had was done in oak barrels, and you can really taste it in the finished product. You ever think of trying anything like that? I know that barrels aren't cheap, but the mention of juniper (which sounds awesome) has me wondering what kind of effect could be produced by shoving a cedar plank or something like that right into the kraut as it ferments.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If I knew where to get a food-safe barrel, I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot! Bourbon barrel-aged kraut, here we come.

I think a big cedar plank would probably result in overwhelming bitterness, though maybe it would be alright if put in near the end of the process for like a day or so. Not sure if its bactericidal qualities would overwhelm the ferment or not. Could be interesting to try.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

earth balance

:gonk:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

allergic to dairy :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Echeveria posted:

allergic to dairy :(

You ever try out any of those "all-vegetable ghee" products? I see them pretty frequently in Indian grocery stores.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RedTonic posted:

If I knew where to get a food-safe barrel, I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot! Bourbon barrel-aged kraut, here we come.

I think a big cedar plank would probably result in overwhelming bitterness, though maybe it would be alright if put in near the end of the process for like a day or so. Not sure if its bactericidal qualities would overwhelm the ferment or not. Could be interesting to try.

Yeah, I guess it would have to be pretty carefully done. It was just an idea I had in the moment as to how to get some of that nice wood flavour without having the luxury of a wood barrel.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, I guess it would have to be pretty carefully done. It was just an idea I had in the moment as to how to get some of that nice wood flavour without having the luxury of a wood barrel.

I wonder if smoke chips would work? You could have mesquite kraut, oak kraut, cherry wood kraut... Food goons, where does one purchase a barrel to store goods you put in your gob?

e: on this subject of fermenting, I did a nukamisozuke post in the home preservation megathread. Don't know how much readership is shared between these two topics, but let me know if you find it interesting. I'll have the next part up in another couple days once my new nuka batch is ready.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

homebrew shops sell oak cubes and chips. Buy the cubes as they would be easier to fish out when you're done. They also sell "spirals" though you'd probably need a special container to get the most out of these.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

Vietnam Grille on South Blvd. It's one of my favorite restaurants hands down, not just my favorite Vietnamese place. Their pho is terrific, but so is everything else. The chef/owner, Ricky, may chat you up as well.

Want Indian? Try Jaipur, a hole in the wall also on South Blvd (and very close to Vietnam Grille as well).

NY Pizza has some excellent NY-style pizza. It's not fancy but it's tasty as hell. Try their white pizza with spinach.

Soul Gastrolounge is a bit hipstery but their eclectic food is very good. Pricey, small plates though.

Zada Jane's is very good if you are vegetarian/vegan. Even if you aren't, they're still good.

Cafe Monte is a french bistro that I adore. Their short rib baguette sandwich is so good I have a very very difficult time trying anything else when I go there. They have excellent savory crepes.

The Waldhorn has good, authentic German food and very good beer.

Le Kebab in the University area has some really good Middle Eastern food. No ambience but who cares when you're just looking for tasty food.

If you're feeling like tacos or a burrito, The Burrito Factory is loving awesome. I've been going there at least once a week since I tried it on a whim one day. Their fish tacos are excellent (and they have Taco Tuesday, 99 cents for any kind), their shrimp burrito rules, and my girlfriend is gaga over their tofu tacos too. Very friendly people, to boot.

Ru San's has good sushi. Nikko has better sushi but you'll pay more.

The Liberty has very solid pub food and a good beer selection.

Amelie's is a French bakery/patisserie with a full service menu. Not too spendy and the food is excellent - I recommend the pate on baguette sandwich.

George's Brasserie is another French restaurant, can be a bit pricey, but I've never been disappointed. They have a large selection of raw oysters - take your server's recommendations.

I'm sure there are a million more I can't think of right now but that should get you going. Let me know if you have any specific cuisines or recommendations you're looking for.

:squirrels post away for next time up north:

Any other bavarian or german places? My sister's boyfriend loves beer garden stuff.

btw, RIP Panthers. I was rooting for ya. Go cat themed 1995 expansion teams!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

RedTonic posted:

If you're looking, I can probably find one for you relatively inexpensively.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Vegetable Melange posted:

If you're looking, I can probably find one for you relatively inexpensively.

I am always looking for horrible things to subject my in-group to! Feel free to hit me up on PM.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

'Unlike many European cheeses, "nacho cheese" bears no geographical indication or other regulated guarantee of ingredients, process, or quality, beyond the general legal definition for cheese products as established by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.'

That this phrase had to be written astounds me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

'Unlike many European cheeses, "nacho cheese" bears no geographical indication or other regulated guarantee of ingredients, process, or quality, beyond the general legal definition for cheese products as established by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.'

That this phrase had to be written astounds me.

What do you call cheese that isn't yours and has no legally defined or protected geographical indication used to identify the region of origin?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do you call cheese that isn't yours and has no legally defined or protected geographical indication used to identify the region of origin?

I see what u did there

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

I see what u did there

This is even funnier to me now because on my screen, the quote is in a quite nacho cheese yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Charlotte restaurant awesomeness

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Sadly, I didn't rent a car this trip, so some of those are way too far away... I'm in the middle of "uptown".
Yes, they actually call it Uptown, and not Downtown. There is no downtown. :shrug:

What a strange land this is. The road from the airport was called "The Billy Graham Parkway", and random old black ladies have blessed me at least 10 times already. I feel like an infidel.

Happy Hat posted:

I only add the caraway when I do the prep, not before - meaning when I turn it with the fat and the wine, I have some lightly crushed seeds with that.

Is there another way?

The woman and I have been experimenting with adding the extra flavors before the ferment starts, in an effort to ferment it all together. The garlic seems to intensify as the kraut ferments, so use less then you think you need.

I'm sort of intrigued by the oak part of this discussion. I don't have the room for real oak barrels, so I might have to try some of those cubes.