Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Those cheeseburger macarons you made looked super cool. Nice job.

he brought some to a party over here recently and they were tasty ^_^

kuskus posted:

I'm down for Friday lunch.

I seriously spend my wee hours baking various weird pastries and experimenting with fats and foams and I'm v. tempted to quit my salary job to work at Little Tart because I'm obsessed with achieving perfect puff pastry help.

I am like this too but listen to the voice of reason : you're crazy don't do it

(or I'm crazy for not quitting my day job and cooking, one of those two must be true)

venutolo posted:

If we close the office early Friday, I'll probably head to Fred's for my cheesesteak fix.

Yeah, I am ending up in the same boat. If I free up on Friday I'll probably head over and maybe meet Katrina too, around 12:30-1ish. But this also might not happen, depending. I guess it's not worth planning anything formal, but maybe see you (and/or other goons) there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Getting a catered lunch and won't be closing the office until 2/3, so no Fred's for me tomorrow.

I'd definitely be interested in we decide to organize something more formal.

Nice little writeup of a special at Yalla last week: http://clatl.com/omnivore/archives/2014/12/11/get-in-ma-mouth-pita-edition

venutolo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 11, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I had my first yalla on wednesday, and I have to say my major complaint was what they praised them for in this writeup. Got a pita shawarma, where the pita was so thin it just fell apart from all the juicy vegetable options they stuffed inside. I was headed to a meeting after lunch so sort of self conscious about getting poo poo all over myself, but really no option with their offering. I sort of half ate it with a fork and just hosed off in the bathroom afterwards - but I'd consider that a downfall.

My golden standard, by contrast, is pita palace - which Yalla feels like it's just trying to be a fancier pita palace to me, with all the salad options. anyways, their pita is perfect, doesn't fall apart, is also an extreme logistical issue - but you can make it work if you really need to.

anyways, too bad about tomorrow, but no big deal. looking forward to continuing to monitor krog st.'s progress...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad I didn't miss goon cheesecake. We always cater all feasible meals while we're on a production so I was quite full today. And also busy as hell 8am-10pm.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I just got back from my company's holiday party at Double Zero Napoletana and it was a loving mess. I'm normally very patient and forgiving when it comes to restaurants, but this was so bad.

We are all seated at tables of eight people. The first course to come out is a basic salad (ie not any of the salads on their menu, pretty much just greens). There isn't terribly much salad. I end up getting about as much (if not less) salad as you might get at a sushi place that gives you miso soup and a salad with ginger dressing before your meal. I'm not terribly bothered by this at the time as I don't particularly want to eat a bunch of salad on the company's dime.

Next comes out the Margherita pizzas. I suspect they held all the pizzas (probably 14 or 16 served) until all were ready to come out. By the time it hits my table, the pizza has lost much heat. The pizzas are also small-ish. I'd guess they're ten inches across. They're much smaller than you would get at Antico or other similar places. Our table of eight is served two of these, so each person gets two small slices. At the time I'm not bothered by the size since I figure the pizzas were to serve as a small course before we are served a much more substantial main course(s).

Probably 20+ minutes expire after we're done with the pizza and the next course comes out. The next course is hanger steaks. Someone comes around to give out steak knives, but about half the tables never get them. We get two hanger steaks per table, so everyone gets one quarter of a hanger (2oz), and it isn't like these are some big hangers or anything like that. One of the steaks served to my table is cut along the grain rather than against it. With my non-steak knife, I am able to crudely cut my one piece of hanger into three bites. The steaks are served with some peppers and mushrooms, but they're just accoutrements and not a significant side item.

Another good bit of time goes by before they bring out the pancetta wrapped pork tenderloin. Again, we are served two per table, so everyone gets one quarter of a tenderloin. It is overcooked. My piece is gone in three small bites. Either before or after this, a couple people from our company gets up and takes the remaining pre-meal (now cold) hors d'oeuvres and starts serving them because everyone is loving hungry.

At this point, someone says something to someone at the restaurant about all this. They promise to bring us more food. 20 minutes later comes out a bunch of rigatoni with a bolognese sauce. This is literally the cheapest, low effort thing they could possibly do. This isn't the Pasta Bolognese on the menu as that is pappardelle with pancetta. This is literally just rigatoni and a bolognese sauce.

Aside from the salad, which was small and just greens, there is no significant vegetable side served. The amount of food served literally should have been doubled.

All told, this took nearly two hours and everyone was left hungry and with nothing to eat for 15+ minutes multiple times. When I got home, I fixed myself a sandwich since I was still hungry.

The cheapest salad on their menu is $6 (and that salad comprises more than just greens). The Margherita pizza is $13. The hanger steak is $22 (but that one comes with a bunch of stuff like potatoes and broccolini, which we didn't get). The tenderloin is $19 (menu item also comes with a bunch of stuff that we didn't get). So before the rigatoni with bolognese, we're at $15 menu cost per person, and that is counting the full menu item price and we certainly didn't get the full menu items.

What a shitshow.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 13, 2014

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

SuperDucky posted:

Glad I didn't miss goon cheesecake. We always cater all feasible meals while we're on a production so I was quite full today. And also busy as hell 8am-10pm.

Hey, I'm probably in the same field as you. What do you do?

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003
Hey ATL dining thread! My coworkers want to go to the Optimist next week and I was wondering what you would recommend ordering. I know you guys aren't a fan of the place from reading the thread, but I was wondering if there were any bright spots.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Hey ATL dining thread! My coworkers want to go to the Optimist next week and I was wondering what you would recommend ordering. I know you guys aren't a fan of the place from reading the thread, but I was wondering if there were any bright spots.

The Vortex Burger ! highly recommended by us goons.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

luvs2Bgraded posted:

I like The Optimist. It's spendy, noisy, and (valet only, cash only) parking sucks but the food's fuckin' good. Oysters, plancha shrimp, octopus, hush puppies are probably the high points; the entrees I've tried have all been solid and they do a nice whole fish preperation.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Landrobot posted:

The Vortex Burger ! highly recommended by us goons.

I'm not a tourist drat it! I am just more used to going to places on buford highway lately than anything like the Optimist.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

luvs2Bgraded posted:

don't order an $80 bottle of wine, even if it's your birthday and you're turning 30 (as stated on your ID). because if you do, and are obviously on a date with your ring bearing wife of a similar age - (and god forbid she's left her ID at home) [and even if she happens to have 4-5 other forms of perfectly legitimate identification] - they'll not even refuse to serve her a glass of wine, but decline to serve you the bottle you've ordered, and be really bitchy about it in the process.

gently caress ford fry, gently caress paying out the rear end to have that poo poo happen in a restaurant ironically called 'the Optimist'.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also don't mind me and my bitter optimist memories. :) go and order whatever, I'm sure it will be great. oysters are probably a can't lose.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mindphlux posted:

don't order an $80 bottle of wine, even if it's your birthday and you're turning 30 (as stated on your ID). because if you do, and are obviously on a date with your ring bearing wife of a similar age - (and god forbid she's left her ID at home) [and even if she happens to have 4-5 other forms of perfectly legitimate identification] - they'll not even refuse to serve her a glass of wine, but decline to serve you the bottle you've ordered, and be really bitchy about it in the process.

gently caress ford fry, gently caress paying out the rear end to have that poo poo happen in a restaurant ironically called 'the Optimist'.

Did they at least not charge you for the wine?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

luvs2Bgraded posted:

I'm not a tourist drat it! I am just more used to going to places on buford highway lately than anything like the Optimist.

What can you recommend on Buford?

I happen to live in the area, so I have tried Tempo Doeloe and Penag Malaysian. Both were amazing.

El Rey Del Taco is one of the best taco places I have found BUT no matter your party size they add a 15% tip and the service is really piss poor. OH! And the food court at Fiesta Plaza has some tasty latin fair as well.

I really like The Mad Italian's cheesesteaks but it's not the best I have ever had.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Landrobot posted:

Hey, I'm probably in the same field as you. What do you do?

I was a production intern at GPB up until last week. Just graduated with a Journalism degree, who knows what the hell I'll be doing next week. :shobon:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Did they at least not charge you for the wine?

lol

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I had the cheesesteak from Fred's Meat today and I'll say I was a bit disappointed. It was under-seasoned overall and the cheese was all lumped to one side of the sandwich, making it not super enjoyable to eat. The meat was good, and the bread was excellent, though I don't think I'll be rushing to pay $14 for another anytime soon. The aioli and the pomme frites were totally fine, however I personally prefer a thinner fry.

Had my first ever Cheerwine, as well, so that's something I guess.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The cheesesteaks these days are not as good as before. I had one the other day that was a bit overcooked and there is still the issue of uneven cheese distribution. I figured this would happen when it was no longer being made by Ginsberg and instead is being made by a lesser-skilled person. Nevertheless, it is still the best cheesesteak around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

jooky posted:

Had my first ever Cheerwine, as well, so that's something I guess.

Mazel tov! Today you became a man!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I'm going to The Luminary tonight. It looks pretty cool, plus I haven't been to the Krog market yet. First time.

I found a killer little Vietnamese restaurant on Buford Hwy, called Co'm that I had never heard of before. It's actually 'chef' made food, not just cafeteria style Pho for the masses. They had the Food Channel playing on its TVs inside :dance:
Prices are a little higher than a typical Buford Hwy meal, but not by a lot. I recommend it for fans of Desta and like minded places. The French-Vietnamese menu on the back is pretty drat incredible for a sub-$20 meal. Has anyone else been?

http://www.comgrillrestaurant.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

I'm going to The Luminary tonight. It looks pretty cool, plus I haven't been to the Krog market yet. First time.

I found a killer little Vietnamese restaurant on Buford Hwy, called Co'm that I had never heard of before. It's actually 'chef' made food, not just cafeteria style Pho for the masses. They had the Food Channel playing on its TVs inside :dance:
Prices are a little higher than a typical Buford Hwy meal, but not by a lot. I recommend it for fans of Desta and like minded places. The French-Vietnamese menu on the back is pretty drat incredible for a sub-$20 meal. Has anyone else been?

http://www.comgrillrestaurant.com/

yeah, co'm has been around for a while now, maybe 5-10 years? it's completely solid, and I second your recommendation. It's definitely more expensive than like a pho place, but that's not what its trying to be. like you're saying, more french-vietnamese fusion style - and it serves liquor, so it's more of a dinner place really. I don't think I've ever had a negative experience at one - there's a location in dunwoody also. I'll usually spend 40-50$ for a dinner for two with some drinks, so it sort of fits in to the ever elusive "weekday dinner" out category for me.

speaking of which - does anyone have any suggestions for weekday dinner options that don't blow the bank? cooking at home usually runs at least 15-25$ total ($7.5 - 12.5 a person) after a bottle of wine and our gluttony, so that's like the benchmark, but I generally want to eat out on a weeknight at least once a week. I hate spending 50 bucks on a weeknight dinner because christ - but I struggle for like not-fast-food options that run closer to 10-20 per person total. Rusans is ok, figo is ok, bar food is ok, radial cafe comes to mind, there are a couple chinese/thai places that are reasonable - I dunno, what do you guys do? how much do you normally spend per person on a low key meal?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I went to C'om this weekend and I can wholeheartedly say that the place is excellent.

The meat has the smoky flavor of being cooked on a wood chip grill, and the staff there is ridiculously nice.
There was a guy there (the owner???) who it seemed only wandered around the restaurant paying compliments to all of the couples at the tables.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which - does anyone have any suggestions for weekday dinner options that don't blow the bank? cooking at home usually runs at least 15-25$ total ($7.5 - 12.5 a person) after a bottle of wine and our gluttony, so that's like the benchmark, but I generally want to eat out on a weeknight at least once a week. I hate spending 50 bucks on a weeknight dinner because christ - but I struggle for like not-fast-food options that run closer to 10-20 per person total. Rusans is ok, figo is ok, bar food is ok, radial cafe comes to mind, there are a couple chinese/thai places that are reasonable - I dunno, what do you guys do? how much do you normally spend per person on a low key meal?

My go-to non-fancy places: Chai Pani (cheap!!), La Fonda, Mad Italian, Figo, any middle eastern place, R Thomas, Co'm, Flying Biscuit, Farm Burger, Yeah Burger, Zin Burger.

Yalla was good at Krog Mkt. Had a couple of small apps before dinner at the Luminary - which was excellent.

Also tried a new place called Ration & Dram for a private event last night. The food and drinks were excellent! I nominate it for the next goon meet, since it's perfect for reserved large groups.

http://www.rationanddram.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went to the cockentrice tonight

my friend knows kevin somehow, so he threw us some extra small plates and a dessert. it was pretty good, exceeded my expectations. some really interesting food, and prices weren't *completely* over the top.

that's all!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Is anyone else doing this Pappy Van Winkle dinner at the Pinewood? I'm going to the Sunday night one and am pretty excited. I've tried everything except the Rye and the 23 year-old and have loved everything I've had from them. Since, depending on who you believe, older bourbons are about to become a lot rarer and more expensive, I figure it's worth the splurge.

Landrobot posted:

I found a killer little Vietnamese restaurant on Buford Hwy, called Co'm that I had never heard of before. ... Has anyone else been?

C'om's great, I used to go all the time when I lived in Toco Hills/N.Druid but haven't been back in ages. Their grilled grape leaves stuffed with duck or lamb, com, bun, and shaking beef are all really good.

I didn't realize they had a 2nd location in D'woody that's 10 minutes from my work. I'll definitely have to go try it out for lunch.

My ITP alternatives are SOBA in EAV (decent pho, com, and bun dishes and if you hang out and drink for a few hours, it turns into Octopus Bar which is really good stuff) and Dua downtown in Fairlie-Poplar (best in-town Pho IMO, though that may be damning with faint praise).

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which - does anyone have any suggestions for weekday dinner options that don't blow the bank? ... I dunno, what do you guys do? how much do you normally spend per person on a low key meal?

I'm pretty sure my wife and I are keeping Zifty in business trying to deal with this very problem. Pretty easy to pass your $50 for 2 people threshold but real food, brought to my house on a weeknight makes it seem worth it.
Bantam & Biddy does a Family Menu which is enough food for 2 people to have a nice dinner and lunch the next day. It's also on their Zifty menu.
If we're feeling a bit more energetic or cheap, other options are (kinda east-side oriented):
• Eats (on Ponce) - always a good option for cheap, decent food. The Jerk Chicken in particular is quite good.
• The Mercantile (Dekalb Ave) - good sandwiches and prepared foods.
• Alon's prepared foods - Since I work in Dunwoody I'll pick stuff up to take home for dinner on occasion.
• Nick's Greek ToGo - pretty close to fast food but I'm a fan.
• Fox Bros - I'll pick up a smoked chicken and then throw together a salad and a rice pilaf or something to go with it.
• Spotted Trotter or Pine St or Star Provisions sausages - sausage + grill + baguette + mustard + simple salad = 30 minute, minimal fuss dinner.
• EAV Farmer's Market - Runs April - December but stopping by there on a Thursday after work makes it pretty easy to throw dinner together pretty quickly.

mindphlux posted:

went to the cockentrice tonight

Glad to hear you liked it, it's pretty high on my to-try list. I'm particularly curious about the chicken skin gnocci, did you happen to try it? Any standout dishes?

Lawen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Hello Atlanta food thread!

Does anyone have any good, preferably recent articles that sort of describe the overall food scene/map of Atlanta? That's a vague question I know, but I'm thinking generalities in terms of "This neighborhood/area tends to have this sort of food, tends to be cheaper/more expensive, tends to attract these sorts of crowds," etc?

The reason I ask is my wife and I are thinking of maybe starting up a... I guess cafe in Atlanta. Likely bubble tea + small bites sort of spot (if you've been to LA, think Half & Half mixed with Class 302). The bubble tea would be less sweet and less like shakes, more like flavored green tea with honey boba, jellies, etc. Small bites being things like Taiwanese appetizers (Taiwanese popcorn chicken for example), maybe mixed with some yakitori-style skewers, etc. Add in the usual Asian-style coffee and condensed milk, maybe some pastries, maybe some soup specials... On-the-cheap-side late-night stuff (though we'd be going for quality and authenticity) that would cater to young people, especially to the young Asian/ABC crowd.

Obviously this is all very vague and early - we're still a year or two out from even getting started with this, and food scenes change quickly (and our plans and menu are just ideas right now), but I wanted to see if I could just get an introduction at a high level to the Atlanta food scene - I've been to Atlanta on trips several times (Columbia, SC native) but I've never stayed long enough to get a good idea.

If anyone has articles or recommendations for effortposts or even just recommendations for local reviewers and writers, I'd appreciate it! I plan on reading through some "Best of" lists for restaurants to try and get an idea but goon recommendations have rarely steered me wrong. Any posts/articles/info on getting into the food scene in Atlanta would be great, too! Or just your personal experiences with start-ups and general dos/don'ts you've seen.

If I'm in completely the wrong thread to ask about this let me know.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which - does anyone have any suggestions for weekday dinner options

I like to cook steaks, like this one I picked up at Star Provisions:

Amergin posted:

If you intend to appeal to a mostly Asian crowd, the areas north east of Atlanta are probably where you want to look.

map from here: http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html -- red dots are Asian

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Eater.com has some maps for like, best restaurants, best pubs, best ethnic, etc. May be worth a look. Eater Atlanta, Creative Loafing, Atlanta Journal-Constitution sites would all be worth a look. Also maybe posts tagged Atlanta on Serious Eats.

Atlanta is very neighborhood based; it's not really trivial to get from one side of Atlanta to the other even if you're just talking about inside the perimeter (like, it probably takes 30 mins to get from college park to dunwoody with zero traffic, 90 mins around dinner time). If you had a demographic you were looking for (college kids, hipsters, rich old white people, lower-income immigrant communities, etc) we could probably make some more specific suggestions and give you an idea of your competition.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

Does anyone have any good, preferably recent articles that sort of describe the overall food scene/map of Atlanta? That's a vague question I know, but I'm thinking generalities in terms of "This neighborhood/area tends to have this sort of food, tends to be cheaper/more expensive, tends to attract these sorts of crowds," etc?

The reason I ask is my wife and I are thinking of maybe starting up a... I guess cafe in Atlanta. Likely bubble tea + small bites sort of spot (if you've been to LA, think Half & Half mixed with Class 302). The bubble tea would be less sweet and less like shakes, more like flavored green tea with honey boba, jellies, etc. Small bites being things like Taiwanese appetizers (Taiwanese popcorn chicken for example), maybe mixed with some yakitori-style skewers, etc. Add in the usual Asian-style coffee and condensed milk, maybe some pastries, maybe some soup specials... On-the-cheap-side late-night stuff (though we'd be going for quality and authenticity) that would cater to young people, especially to the young Asian/ABC crowd.

Obviously this is all very vague and early - we're still a year or two out from even getting started with this, and food scenes change quickly (and our plans and menu are just ideas right now), but I wanted to see if I could just get an introduction at a high level to the Atlanta food scene - I've been to Atlanta on trips several times (Columbia, SC native) but I've never stayed long enough to get a good idea.

If anyone has articles or recommendations for effortposts or even just recommendations for local reviewers and writers, I'd appreciate it! I plan on reading through some "Best of" lists for restaurants to try and get an idea but goon recommendations have rarely steered me wrong. Any posts/articles/info on getting into the food scene in Atlanta would be great, too! Or just your personal experiences with start-ups and general dos/don'ts you've seen.

If I'm in completely the wrong thread to ask about this let me know.

I'll second the http://atlanta.eater.com/ recommendation for hot spots.

If you're serious about opening a place, us ATL goons could definitely help you nail the menu and overall restaurant direction for your desired demographic. Any kind of "Asian" place here is up against some stiff competition, but if done right, you could blow them out of the water.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

venutolo posted:

If you intend to appeal to a mostly Asian crowd, the areas north east of Atlanta are probably where you want to look.
map from here: http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html -- red dots are Asian

Lawen posted:

Eater.com has some maps for like, best restaurants, best pubs, best ethnic, etc. May be worth a look. Eater Atlanta, Creative Loafing, Atlanta Journal-Constitution sites would all be worth a look. Also maybe posts tagged Atlanta on Serious Eats.

Atlanta is very neighborhood based; it's not really trivial to get from one side of Atlanta to the other even if you're just talking about inside the perimeter (like, it probably takes 30 mins to get from college park to dunwoody with zero traffic, 90 mins around dinner time). If you had a demographic you were looking for (college kids, hipsters, rich old white people, lower-income immigrant communities, etc) we could probably make some more specific suggestions and give you an idea of your competition.

Landrobot posted:

I'll second the http://atlanta.eater.com/ recommendation for hot spots.

If you're serious about opening a place, us ATL goons could definitely help you nail the menu and overall restaurant direction for your desired demographic. Any kind of "Asian" place here is up against some stiff competition, but if done right, you could blow them out of the water.

Thanks for the tips all! I'll have to carve out some time in the next few weeks to digest the different neighborhoods and info presented here (and also to try and read through this thread).

In terms of demographics... that's still sort of vague at this point. My wife and I are aiming for a balance of authenticity (authentically Chinese/Taiwanese, mostly, with possibly a bit of Japanese thrown in), affordability and accessibility (in my mind I don't see an "Asian cafe catering mostly to Asians" as being able to survive and thrive in Atlanta against the competition). So we're aiming for a small hang-out/take-out place, small menu, good food for a budget, but stuff that if you went to China/Taiwan/Japan you'd recognize and that would taste fairly similar (or, alternatively, stuff that would give the study-abroad kids a sense of home).

So to us, the authenticity leans towards targeting hipsters, "casual foodies" (is that a thing?) and primarily Asian folks. Affordability is going straight for the college kids. Accessibility is bringing authentic East Asian street food and bubble tea to the non-Asian (but still probably young) demographics.

So all that said we're looking at college kids and Asians, maybe even making the hours run late for the kids who want some meat on skewers after barhopping. We're not against targeting any other demographic, but that cluster seems to be the most natural for what ideas we're currently bouncing around. Right now about the only thing we've settled on is it will have good bubble tea with actual tea.

Again, thanks for the help guys! We're serious about opening up a small place and we're pretty serious about it being in Atlanta, but this will be a long endeavor... In fact, in a little under a year I'll be with my wife in Kunming learning restaurant cooking and accounting secrets from my mother-in-law (who doesn't speak English). :ohdear:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Amergin posted:

So all that said we're looking at college kids and Asians, maybe even making the hours run late for the kids who want some meat on skewers after barhopping. We're not against targeting any other demographic, but that cluster seems to be the most natural for what ideas we're currently bouncing around. Right now about the only thing we've settled on is it will have good bubble tea with actual tea.

Is there a Bubble Tea place in Tech Square? I could see that working out.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Is there a Bubble Tea place in Tech Square? I could see that working out.

Umma in tech square serves bubble tea as well as the new Sweet Hut location not that far from there.

luvs2Bgraded fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Umma in tech square serves bubble tea as well as the new Sweet Hut location not that far from there.

It's been a while since I left. I'm gonna have to hit up these places when I come back.

Amergin, maybe try Emory Village?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I was going to mention Sweet Hut as a place on Buford you should visit as it's a Taiwanese bakery cafe that sounds similar to what you are opening.

Also, another Sweet Hut near Tech Square? I work over there, so if it's close enough, I'll go there for pastries every day.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Paris Baguette has spoiled me such that I think Sweet Hut has really bland starchy offerings, but I love their orange black tea (SB06?), their environment, hours, & accessibility. The Sweet Hut on Peachtree south of Empire State South has burger options, which look creative if bizarre. Paris Baguette inspires me to be a better baker. But also- go to Amelie's on Northside if you haven't. Wide open spaces for chilling and working, plenty of impressive French baked goods sweet and savory, generous hours.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
99% likelihood that I'd never be able to attend, but are local goons looking forward to Jim Stacy's (of Pallookaville) upcoming Historical/Geographical/Trend-based Dinner Party Series? Doesn't look like they have a proper page up just yet on the actual site, but have a FB link:

https://www.facebook.com/pallookaville/posts/10155064495720285

Seems like a spiffy little notion that the dude would surely try to make fun for all in attendance, and sensible enough as far as being able to just potentially get in on the subject matter meals of interest as opposed to having to throw down deep for a full series ticket.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

kuskus posted:

Paris Baguette has spoiled me such that I think Sweet Hut has really bland starchy offerings, but I love their orange black tea (SB06?), their environment, hours, & accessibility. The Sweet Hut on Peachtree south of Empire State South has burger options, which look creative if bizarre. Paris Baguette inspires me to be a better baker. But also- go to Amelie's on Northside if you haven't. Wide open spaces for chilling and working, plenty of impressive French baked goods sweet and savory, generous hours.

Seconding Paris Baguette. Buford is the place for asian inspired snaky places.

Also, the new construction in the GM plant area should bring in a wealth of new people and restaurants. Or it will be another empty shopping plaza like the Super H mart plaza right next door.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

So to us, the authenticity leans towards targeting hipsters, "casual foodies" (is that a thing?) and primarily Asian folks.

:ughh:

Bubble tea places have been done to death here, along with being a 10 year old fad. Casual Asian is also pretty vague. Hipsters don't like that sorta thing anyways.

There's all sorts of opportunities here in Atlanta to make a great place. Most of the Asian places here "don't get it" when it comes to making fresh food. The frozen food is usually dropped off by a sub-par Sysco truck, made by business people, not creatively inspired chefs.

Make a wildly crazy, fresh handmade dumpling house (Taiwanese style), draft beers, etc right smack on Buford Hwy. Something like this place in LA I go to when I'm out there: http://www.dintaifungusa.com/index.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if I see another slightly upscale pan-asian "street food" place I'm gonna barf.

do one thing, do it well, hit a weekday-meal-out price point, serve alcohol, and be in a part of town that doesn't have anything similar nearby. imho. SoBa is a great example. Chef driven buford highway quality pho, and I don't have to drive to buford highway! and they serve cheap bottles of wine! tuesday night dinner winner.

on that note, really excited for Gu's dumplings opening in krog street market. Gu's bistro is another great example of a chef driven "do one thing do it well" authentic place.

agree with landrobot about most asian places "not getting it". there was a pan-asian "street food" place called 'yum buns' that opened up year or two ago on the west side, which should be your case study in how to open a restaurant destined to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

there was a pan-asian "street food" place called 'yum buns' that opened up year or two ago on the west side, which should be your case study in how to open a restaurant destined to fail.

That place was such a mess. They had a "coming soon" sign for over a year and the place was way too big. Unless they had a great rental agreement, they must have lost so drat much money.