Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There's no "Artie Lange Podcast" app, but there are myriad podcast apps out there that will automatically download them and keep them on your phone. Some of them can even offer you more playback options (computer/browser) and an ability to sync it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgjFIJaziz0

I've been listening to old Gilbert clips, he is really always on fire when he's a guest. In this clip, he called a Chinese woman a gook at a party, and then he gets on the line to her and impersonates a horny John Lennon. Gilbert :allears:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
"If I want to study Al-Qaeda, I'm supposed to be able to do that."

Actual quote from Robin today :laffo:

Context: Howard was griping about the American and European idiots who go off to join Al-Qaeda but then decide they want to return home, Robin seems to think that joining a terrorist organization is a protected freedom.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

Context: Howard was griping about the American and European idiots who go off to join Al-Qaeda but then decide they want to return home, Robin seems to think that joining a terrorist organization is a protected freedom.

This is one of the very few times where a quote in context is worse than out of context.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

moot the hopple posted:

Robin doesn't understand the difference between "study" and "join". To be honest, I'm not that surprised.

Once upon a time, she actually was one of the smarter people on the show. :(

(Jackie graduated from college with an engineering degree, which I still think is nifty trivia.)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Robin had a pretty decently grounded life right up until they got famous and she made enough money to be surrounded by yes people only seeking her cash. She wasn't perfect but she was fairly down to earth but when they hit it big that Robin disappeared forever.

Oddly enough, Jackie and Fred are still Jackie and Fred. They seem to be as happy and grounded when they were making $30,000 a year as they were making a million a year.

Gary got infinitely worse as the show went on and not really because of money, just because of the fame that came from being Baba Booey. He truly thinks he matters in this world and we would be lesser without him. It's like meeting a court jester with an ego.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

Gary got infinitely worse as the show went on and not really because of money, just because of the fame that came from being Baba Booey. He truly thinks he matters in this world and we would be lesser without him. It's like meeting a court jester with an ego.

I can't agree with this enough. He enjoys the idea of having status more even than Howard does, I think. It's creepy, and exhibit A in why some people shouldn't be given status/respect/power.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I can't imagine the come down its going to be for Gary when Howard finally hangs it up and Booey has to find another producing job. He has to be the luckiest radio intern in history. I just hope he's invested he's money well for Jackson and Lucus' college fund. They seem like good kids.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know, I don't find anything Gary does really offensive in that way, like he's obsessed with his status. I mean, he IS the producer, he must actually do good work, right? I agree that he was extremely lucky at the beginning, but hasn't he professionally grown into the role?

Am I missing some classic Gary fuckups regarding this? I've listened to the entire Gary-book fiasco, and have heard him a ton of times through various clips. Anything I'm missing?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Yeah, it's hard to know for sure what people are like based on what you hear in the show. Gary can be insufferable at times but how would you like to have to be the both (sic) of people like Benjy and Grillo and Stuttering John? Fun is fun but there are also things that need to get done and if people you are supervising show naked contempt for you, at some point you would just get sick of it and need to assert yourself. I'd like to think he's a decent guy who occasionally lets things get to his head, but who knows.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know, I don't find anything Gary does really offensive in that way, like he's obsessed with his status. I mean, he IS the producer, he must actually do good work, right? I agree that he was extremely lucky at the beginning, but hasn't he professionally grown into the role?

Am I missing some classic Gary fuckups regarding this? I've listened to the entire Gary-book fiasco, and have heard him a ton of times through various clips. Anything I'm missing?

Hes not a real producer. He mentioned this when he went to hang with the producers of some talk show and he said he got to see how they handle the money side of things and other stuff he doesnt do. He doesnt even get guests he just waits for people to call him and whatever guests Sirius/XM gives them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Gary is basically the guy who takes of the retarded people when they go on a field trip to the mall.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I was listening to an old show and Gary was saying that Howard is really the producer of the show. Gary just handles some of the boring logistical stufff.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Gary is the producer in name and a lot of the same basic aspects of the job such as giving the OK to bits or when people get to run in and interrupt the show but it's like producer-lite compared to what other people do. I imagine when they worked at a real station he did a lot more and worked harder but since the move to Sirius his job is a pretty big joke considering hours worked and quality of guests.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Just out of the blue the other day I remembered how Robin said the people on the planes that hit the towers on 9/11 were cowards, and how they scrubbed any mention of it on the show afterwards. A couple people tried to bring it up on the Wrap-Up Show, but they got got brushed off pretty quickly.

Has something like that happened any other time?

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 14, 2015

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Wasn't Sirius looking for a producer for the Howard Stern Show a few months back? Could it be possible that Booey is just basically a ''comedian'' nowadays and a real producer is doing the work behind him?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They have white washed some things before but I can't remember any particular instances.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Support for Bush in the lead-up to the iraq war is a good example, you never hear those segments any more

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

Oddly enough, Jackie and Fred are still Jackie and Fred. They seem to be as happy and grounded when they were making $30,000 a year as they were making a million a year.

I'm not sure I'd call Jackie grounded or happy. Jackie had 5 houses by the beach and a new Volvo every year when he was on the show, and his delusions of grandeur ultimately ended up getting his rear end canned. Even now he's still plugging everything in sight and trying sell those stupid rear end t-shirts and mugs at every pizza place and strip club in the country. I think he's grounded in comparison to Howard and Robin who are space cadets, but he's still a bitter old nut.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

kylej posted:

I'm not sure I'd call Jackie grounded or happy. Jackie had 5 houses by the beach and a new Volvo every year when he was on the show, and his delusions of grandeur ultimately ended up getting his rear end canned. Even now he's still plugging everything in sight and trying sell those stupid rear end t-shirts and mugs at every pizza place and strip club in the country. I think he's grounded in comparison to Howard and Robin who are space cadets, but he's still a bitter old nut.

Jackie's pretty grounded, Happy is probably debatable I guess. A lot of Jackie's goofiness with his money was because of Nancy. I never really saw him as aloof or eccentric.

The Jackie we knew 30 years ago is the Jackie we know now, very little changed when he was on the show and even after he left other than his bank account. If anything he actually improved himself because he stopped drinking like a fish.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ether Frenzy posted:

Support for Bush in the lead-up to the iraq war is a good example, you never hear those segments any more

Howard was talking recently about his past career and wanting to leave it all behind. It makes sense, Howard 20 years ago was a different beast and he was often very mean for no reason other than ratings and trying to make a mark. He often complains about how he blew a lot of relationships up and messed up a lot of interviews trying to "rank" on people for radio beefs and laughs. I admire that actually, he admits he has changed and accepts it. He also said if it was up to him he would never replay those old bits, but "the fans want them".

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Another thing about Gary is that he he's recognized by celebrity fans. A lot of celebrities and important industry folk listen to the show, and I'm sure hearing guests talk about how they love hearing Howard shout at Gary has inflated his ego.

He probably sees himself as a celebrity of the celebrity circles because of it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Howard was talking recently about his past career and wanting to leave it all behind. It makes sense, Howard 20 years ago was a different beast and he was often very mean for no reason other than ratings and trying to make a mark. He often complains about how he blew a lot of relationships up and messed up a lot of interviews trying to "rank" on people for radio beefs and laughs. I admire that actually, he admits he has changed and accepts it. He also said if it was up to him he would never replay those old bits, but "the fans want them".

It's fine to grow up, it's sad that he's so embarrassed and humiliated by the past he built his career on he would rather erase it from history.

This is exactly why I have zero issues with Todd Packer because if someone doesn't archive this stuff it is going to disappear into the ether and Howard will never care enough to bring it back.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

EngineerJoe posted:

They have white washed some things before but I can't remember any particular instances.

After they went to Sirius (actually after Howard's lawsuit with Infinity where he got the rights to the old tapes) they started editing out all the negatives mentions of his first wife, like when Howard always said he would date a Penthouse Pet the next day if Allison happened to drop dead. There's even a picture in his book of him holding a hot woman while standing next to a coffin, as if he's already banging a new chick at his wife's funeral.

Besides that they also edit out the word "human being" now, like when they play old Iron Sheik interviews.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Howard's a terrible person who made money doing terrible things. He plays the good guy now because he's old and tired, but I'm happy with the fact that Beth will get him.

Really, she is going to gently caress him up. I promise you that woman is the sword of God.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

Howard's a terrible person who made money doing terrible things. He plays the good guy now because he's old and tired, but I'm happy with the fact that Beth will get him.

Really, she is going to gently caress him up. I promise you that woman is the sword of God.

poo poo is going to go down after the show ends. No doubt in my mind something big happens.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Howard's a good man, and beth is a sweet girl.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Crotch Bat posted:

poo poo is going to go down after the show ends. No doubt in my mind something big happens.

She's got her eggs frozen and John Stamos still has sperm.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

a cop posted:

Howard's a good man, and beth is a sweet girl.

Yeah, I mean, I was a little upset when he was ignoring his "change", but he's honest about it again and doing what he wants. I got no hate for that. If you produce anything long enough, you always look back at the start with some sense of shame or at least a progression of knowing how you would have handled it now that you have that experience. I mean, that would be like people having to stand firm by any stupid high school poetry or whatever you thought was amazing when you made it back when. Growth is good for artists, looking back is better for the observers than the creator of that content. So I get why he doesn't want to be surrounded by it.

Thank god Gilbert never had that old man moment. He's going to be offending his way to the grave, god bless that little comedy troll.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

This is exactly why I have zero issues with Todd Packer because if someone doesn't archive this stuff it is going to disappear into the ether and Howard will never care enough to bring it back.

Yup. When Howard complains about YouTube, the context is always money, that people are stealing money from him, but you just know it's all about the control. Howard is a control freak, always has been, and the idea that someone else is curating his legacy drives him loving insane.

AxeManiac posted:

Thank god Gilbert never had that old man moment. He's going to be offending his way to the grave, god bless that little comedy troll.

Glibert gives no fucks, and never has. :allears:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I started listening around 2011, and it actually really surprised me to learn that relatively liberal Robin and Howard were once very gung ho about the invasion of Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, and getting Saddam, bin Laden, and pretty much everybody else that looked at America funny.

Former Human posted:

After they went to Sirius (actually after Howard's lawsuit with Infinity where he got the rights to the old tapes) they started editing out all the negatives mentions of his first wife, like when Howard always said he would date a Penthouse Pet the next day if Allison happened to drop dead.

I thought they cleared out every mention of Alison at all? Even the History of Howard Stern special is only like "Oh yeah, and Howard got married. Moving on..."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, Kirstie Alley is an insufferable oval office.

And LOL at Howard asking her if she 'went into analysis' after her divorce... Scientologists aren't allowed to see therapists/psychiatrists.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Riosan posted:

I started listening around 2011, and it actually really surprised me to learn that relatively liberal Robin and Howard were once very gung ho about the invasion of Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, and getting Saddam, bin Laden, and pretty much everybody else that looked at America funny.

I thought they cleared out every mention of Alison at all? Even the History of Howard Stern special is only like "Oh yeah, and Howard got married. Moving on..."

I thought he had to remove all references to Allison as part of the divorce settlement.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So weird, I just got to the point of his divorce during the Todd Packer Kathie Lee Part II vid. 10h 50m, approx, though he doesn't talk about it much, just bitches about some guy from Rolling Stone who called him a rat or something, and he's defending himself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any updates on subscribers to the Artie pod? How is he holding up? What is the content like?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I thought today with Kamal from the Jerky Boys and Bob Levy was the best show yet. It was nearly two hours of Artie basically just ripping on Kamal for being unfunny.

The only thing I kind of dislike is that within the last few shows someone is trying to be Fred and playing sound clips/effects, but basically they have like three drops, and the first day or two they were just pounding a clip of Joe Namath saying "YEAH!" over and over and over and over. They toned it back a bit today, fortunately.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

"Going to"? poo poo, it's already happened. He said on the air today that he has 11 cats in his house. But don't worry, 5 of those are going to be adopted out soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I thought today with Kamal from the Jerky Boys and Bob Levy was the best show yet. It was nearly two hours of Artie basically just ripping on Kamal for being unfunny.

The only thing I kind of dislike is that within the last few shows someone is trying to be Fred and playing sound clips/effects, but basically they have like three drops, and the first day or two they were just pounding a clip of Joe Namath saying "YEAH!" over and over and over and over. They toned it back a bit today, fortunately.

Ok, even weirder, earlier on the Kathie Lee Part II clip, they interview both of the Jerky Boys, back in 97.

Anyway, I was genuinely laughing out loud around 11 hours in to this, where they're goofing on Kathie Lee's album, and the moans that happen at the beginning of every track. Fred's drops are perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPDH1s49qw

EDIT: Ok, everyone really should listen to these clips, even now (around 11h:33m), Howard and Robin are talking about women getting older, wanting babies, and they marry young guys. Howard says that they should marry geezers. :allears: This is all about 5-10 minutes after he answers a caller's question about if Howard is divorced or just separated.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 14, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

"Going to"? poo poo, it's already happened. He said on the air today that he has 11 cats in his house. But don't worry, 5 of those are going to be adopted out soon.

Dear lord, can't he just find a different gold digger that hates animals and children? Beth's over 40 anyway, isn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Sand Monster posted:

To be fair though he could have 100 cats in both his houses in the Hamptons and Palm Beach and probably never see any of them.