Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

GoutPatrol posted:

JTMS has a repeatable Brainstorm effect. REPEATABLE. BRAINSTORM. It will never be in modern.

Interesting question though is what's a playable cost for that effect, like assume I want it to be an option in Modern but not a super dominant card, 1UU for an instant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Legacy: No changes or Earthcraft and Survival of the Fittest unbanned. Both combos now seem to have more than enough answers to them and would probably only impact the meta in a positive way. Specifically, earthcraft would make enchantress actually competitive.
I think there's no way Earthcraft gets unbanned, as elves is already one of the most solid and consistent combo decks in the format, Earthcraft would just put it way over the top.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Bonus posted:

I think there's no way Earthcraft gets unbanned, as elves is already one of the most solid and consistent combo decks in the format, Earthcraft would just put it way over the top.

Why would elves want another combo finish that's not as good as the one it has, especially when neither piece can be tutored up?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Why would elves want another combo finish that's not as good as the one it has, especially when neither piece can be tutored up?

If it's worse than why keep it banned :smugbert:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

redstormpopcorn posted:

Are you allowed to look at your own face-down manifested stuff? I've seen a lot of conversations with contradictory implications.

I sometimes think that the judge episodes of LR are a waste of time, but then I hear about this sort of thing. Honestly, who on earth would think that's how the rules work?

qbert posted:

I highly doubt JTMS will ever be unbanned. It's still too format-warping. For MM2 they're just going to reprint Goyf, Dark Confidant, Hierarch, LotV, etc. to drive sales.

Just to pick a nit, I'm pretty sure they've said MM2015 only goes through Scars block. LOTV and Snapcaster are both locked out, for better or worse.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I don't think Earthcraft would serve as a finish, but as a mana engine. Being able to tap elvish visionaries and wirewood symbiotes for mana could get that craterhoof behemoth out way more reliably.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't there a bit of an elephant in the room when it comes to the question of why Pod is so good now? Or perhaps another large land mammal

GoutPatrol posted:

JTMS has a repeatable Brainstorm effect. REPEATABLE. BRAINSTORM. It will never be in modern.
The funny thing is that you could make exactly the same post about his other two abilities

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 13, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boxman posted:

Just to pick a nit, I'm pretty sure they've said MM2015 only goes through Scars block. LOTV and Snapcaster are both locked out, for better or worse.

Yeah. They list out specific planes in their announcement (Zendikar, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Lorwyn, Kamigawa, and Alara). So, no Innistrad. (Hopefully, Lorwyn includes Shadowmoor/Eventide meaning filter lands will likely being reprinted.)
So, that in mind, I see some of the chase rares being Jace, Mox Opal, Noble Hierarch, Emrakul + friends, Iona, Glimpse the Unthinkable, Cryptic Command (again), Bitterblossom, Jitte, and Stoneforge Mystic. Honestly, I see Snapcaster and Lili being reprinted in M16 along with the allied pain lands which will be the most ridiculous super standard ever when black devotion becomes king of the hill again for a scant few months.

Edit: Forgot Shadowmoor/Eventide was technically Lorwyn. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 13, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A LotV reprint will happen. I'm guessing they test out alot of different modern--playable cards in their FFL to see if they become format-warping when they use them. They realized LotV in any MonoB devotion decks would be insane from last standard. There are alot of cards, taken out of the modern context, where they just become powerful, but not where every deck ever will want to run 4X or else you're hosed for 18 months. Something like a Hurkyl's Recall, if it was reprinted in M15, wouldn't be done anything format warping (no matter how fun the URobits deck is.) What is stopping them from printing Hinder instead of Dissipate? In a environment like now with no elves, what would it hurt to reprint Heritage Druid?

I actually hope with the shorter standard season, without a core set, they will become much more liberal when it comes to reprints. Keep them coming :getin:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. They list out specific planes in their announcement (Zendikar, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Lorwyn, Kamigawa, and Alara). So, no Innistrad. (Hopefully, Lorwyn includes Shadowmoor/Eventide meaning filter lands will likely being reprinted.)
So, that in mind, I see some of the chase rares being Jace, Mox Opal, Noble Hierarch, Emrakul + friends, Iona, Glimpse the Unthinkable, Cryptic Command (again), Bitterblossom, Jitte, and Stoneforge Mystic. Honestly, I see Snapcaster and Lili being reprinted in M16 along with the allied pain lands which will be the most ridiculous super standard ever when black devotion becomes king of the hill again for a scant few months.

Edit: Forgot Shadowmoor/Eventide was technically Lorwyn. :v:

Why would they reprint Jace, Jitte, and Mystic? They're banned in Modern. This is specifically a set for Modern legal cards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Why would they reprint Jace, Jitte, and Mystic? They're banned in Modern. This is specifically a set for Modern legal cards.

They're banned RIGHT NOW, maybe. Who knows? :v:
When it comes down to it, there just aren't that many cards in the blocks mentioned that are that expensive in the secondary market unless they're just going to reprint Goyf for reasons. (They do have Bob, I guess. I forgot he was in Ravnica.) Also, I think we're going to get reprints of the Liege cycle.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a chance they reprint zendikar fetches in mm2 instead of DTK? Or don't reprint them at all, though I thought I remembered hearing that they want to reprint complete cycles of cards if they print any at all. I'd be really surprised if goyf didn't get a reprint, he needs it more than anything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Boxman posted:

Where have they said this? All I've seen is the announcement page, and that says

quote:

Modern Masters (2015 Edition) takes players back to some of the most remarkable planes from recent history, including Zendikar, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Lorwyn, Kamigawa, and Alara.
They might theme the limited environment towards those sets but there's nothing to say they won't reprint money cards from wherever.

e: OK I found a video that says they're ending with New Phyrexia, fair enough. I don't see anything locking them out of earlier cards though, they're just listing the new stuff that's in.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 13, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There won't be Innistrad block cards.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
JTMS will never be unbanned in Modern unless they print a 0 mana "Kill JTMS" spell in some new set.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there a chance they reprint zendikar fetches in mm2 instead of DTK? Or don't reprint them at all, though I thought I remembered hearing that they want to reprint complete cycles of cards if they print any at all. I'd be really surprised if goyf didn't get a reprint, he needs it more than anything.

There's a chance, but it seems unlikely considering how many other land cycles could do with a reprint right now. Just off the top of my head you've got the manlands from Worldwake, the fast lands from Scars of Mirrodin, and the filter lands from Shadowmoor/Eventide. All of those seem a lot more likely.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

JTMS will never be unbanned in Modern unless they print a 0 mana "Kill JTMS" spell in some new set.

Not even then, it'd warp the meta around those two cards. Jace isn't coming back in the foreseeable future.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gyshall posted:

One Good Turn
0 Mana (Blue)
Instant
Negate target Jace, the Mind Sculptor planeswalker ability.
Destroy target Jace, the Mind Sculptor. If you do, Brainstorm.
"He thinks he's so smart!"
-Teferi, Temporal Archmage

Edit: I r gud at speling.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 13, 2015

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

AlternateNu posted:

One Good Turn
0 Mana (Blue)
Instant
Negate target Jace, the Mind Sculpter planeswalker ability.
Destroy target Jace, the Mind Sculpter. If you do, Brainstorm.
"He thinks he's so smart!"
-Teferi, Temporal Archmage

So, then how do you kill Jace, the Mind Sculptor?

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 13, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Partial Octopus posted:

B&R predictions

Modern: JTMS, and possibly BBE Unbanned.
:lol: how about no, never, not in a million years. JtMS is an awful card made by satan's demon turds and nobody wants to see it reprinted. It would kill modern as a format if it were reprinted.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
My first experience with Standard was playing a dude's cawblade deck against my blue/red "stuff I had laying around from friends and those intro decks". The only 4 good cards in the deck were all Lightning Bolt.

So basically Unban Jace and reprint Pyroblast.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Unban everything, reprint everything, then ban everything.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

:lol: how about no, never, not in a million years. JtMS is an awful card made by satan's demon turds and nobody wants to see it reprinted. It would kill modern as a format if it were reprinted.

There is nothing I would love more in Modern than for JTMS to be unbanned. He is a fun card that lets me Brainstorm every turn.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Unban everything, reprint everything, then ban everything.
WILDCARD

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

There is nothing I would love more in Modern than for JTMS to be unbanned. He is a fun card that lets me Brainstorm every turn.

Play Legacy Miracles :buddy:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bhsman posted:

Play Legacy Miracles :buddy:

Whenever I pay off my student loans, I certainly will.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
Any thoughts on what Fate Reforged cards might fit into, or alter, the current standard U/B Control or G/B Whip decks? Those are the two I primarily play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Whenever I pay off my student loans, I certainly will.

I'm find it funny that "do something that makes me financially comfortable" is the hurdle to playing Miracles.

Because I need to find a job that lets me break the bank every once in a while.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 13, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heisenator posted:

Any thoughts on what Fate Reforged cards might fit into, or alter, the current standard U/B Control or G/B Whip decks? Those are the two I primarily play.

The better Hooting Mandrils that lets you get a card from your yard back is pretty interesting for Sultai Whip decks.

Edit: Tasigur, the Golden Fang.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Heisenator posted:

I'm running Sidisi Whip and I'm thinking of running 1-2 Silumgar but that's about it. I toyed around with adding Yasova but it just didn't seem to come together the way I'd want. Might run Reality Shift in the SB if I start seeing more whip/reanimator type decks, but that's about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm running Sidisi Whip and I'm thinking of running 1-2 Silumgar but that's about it. I toyed around with adding Yasova but it just didn't seem to come together the way I'd want. Might run Reality Shift in the SB if I start seeing more whip/reanimator type decks, but that's about it.

I don't think Silumgar is for decks that are also running Doomwake Giant but I definitely think it's standard playable. Probably in UB Control.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For a banlist discussion that doesn't immediately seem like diarrhea-of-the-keyboard:

Standard: None
Modern: +Cruise -Troll
Legacy: +Brainstorm
Vintage: None
EDH: Don't even bother to update the website for 6 months.

Modern, less Cruise, is probably the closest its been to a healthy, curated format.
Legacy could use a shakeup as it is losing watchability and, frankly, there's just too much consistency afforded by Brainstorm. Discard needs to be stronger and decks need to not have the ridiculous redundancy. Please, Wizards, deliver us from Stoneblade/Delver/Show/Miracles.
Standard sucks. I could not care less about this garbage format of Siege Rhino stalemates.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heisenator posted:

I think a lot of the time, Selesnya Dragon is probably gonna be better than Wingmate Roc for Junk Whip decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

I think a lot of the time, Selesnya Dragon is probably gonna be better than Wingmate Roc for Junk Whip decks.

No lol.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Silumgar is for decks that are also running Doomwake Giant but I definitely think it's standard playable. Probably in UB Control.
There have been more than a few times for me where -1/-1 was fairly trivial, but -2/-2 destroys their board entirely. I have Drown in Sorrow in my SB, but it'd be nice to be able to g1 whip out doomwake > swing with dragon > clean house, or just have a repeatable source of -1/-1.

Edit: And is my meta just awesome or am I just lucky or something? Because I know one guy who runs abzan. Outside of him there's hardly any Siege Rhinos outside of my one-of (that might get replaced by Silumgar, I dunno) and the random oddball running 1-2 in his kitchen table deck he showed up to FNM with.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 13, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

There have been more than a few times for me where -1/-1 was fairly trivial, but -2/-2 destroys their board entirely. I have Drown in Sorrow in my SB, but it'd be nice to be able to g1 whip out doomwake > swing with dragon > clean house, or just have a repeatable source of -1/-1.

But you have that... With all the other enchantments you're playing + Pharika.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

But you have that... With all the other enchantments you're playing + Pharika.
I actually don't run that many enchantments or Pharika main.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I actually don't run that many enchantments or Pharika main.

Now we've come to your problem heh.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Heisenator posted:

The 3BB dragon-wrath to replace Vault in UB maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe how many people replied to someone suggesting that Wizards would unban JTMS in Modern just so they could raise the prices of MMA2.

• Locked thread