Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Farming Jews for their humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I couldn't devise a more Jewish name than Leiby Kletzky.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Interesting bit on the free community college plan.

quote:

Some liberals even joined in the criticism. Because the program is not limited to low-income students, middle-income and even wealthy community-college students could benefit. Donald Heller, dean of Michigan State University's College of Education, told Politico, "Should we really be giving those kids free tuition when their families can pay?" And the Institute for College Access and Success called the proposal "a Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing," arguing that "making tuition free for all students regardless of their income is a missed opportunity to focus resources on the students who need aid the most."

Kind of reminds me of the people who complain that affirmative action benefits middle and upper-class minorities.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Badger of Basra posted:

just now i learned some people call chickpeas garbanzos

A turnip is a swede. It's also a neep and a rutabaga.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Should we really let rich kids into public schools?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa posted:

Kind of reminds me of the people who complain that affirmative action benefits middle and upper-class minorities.

if we have single payer healthcare, rich people would get medicine too!!!

idiots

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

Americans have this weird obsession with "fair play". Now, while we can break down all the reasons why whites are inherently more advantaged than minorities to an absurd degree, all that stuff isn't readily apparent to some one with zero introspection. That's why white people hate AA and why you could never have a plan that made people who can afford it pay while giving it away to the needy. I mean, we do have programs like that but they are massively controversial and create ridiculous cultural memes like "welfare queens" and "the borderline retarded kid who gets into Harvard over literally every white person in the world because he's black".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Inshallah, it is a blessed thing to make the sons of the rich rub elbows with the sons of the poor in Intro To Small Engine Repair

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Public education is the last bastion of socially responsible collectivism in the country where we say "this is an expensive thing that we shall do because it is morally right to do and has a long term benefit to us all" so it makes sense that the GOP is hellbent on dismantling it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
zoux i mean there are people who don't oppose AA they oppose it benefiting minorities from advantaged minority families, like the president during the 08 primary

quote:

During a presidential debate in April, Mr. Obama said his two daughters, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, “who have had a pretty good deal” in life, should not benefit from affirmative action when they apply to college, particularly if they were competing for admission with poor white students.

idk it just seems like either missing the point or conceding bad premises.

i mean i don't think he could have said anything else politically but i also don't doubt he believes it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I dont think Obama understands what AA is anymore at least in college admissions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Obama is a golem created by center right narratives.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
you know who does?

my girl sonia

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Golem Leiby Kletzky against Shomrim council boss.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
can we play the unpopular opinion among progressives game again?

i like barack obama i think he's a good president and a cool dude. i hope that histories of his presidency reveal that he was always dropping sick burns on people in meetings.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Obama is the best of all possible worlds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Obama is a golem created by center right narratives.

אֱמֶת

The Warszawa posted:

can we play the unpopular opinion among progressives game again?

i like barack obama i think he's a good president and a cool dude. i hope that histories of his presidency reveal that he was always dropping sick burns on people in meetings.

I think he's a bad president in the technical sense that he is unable to accomplish poo poo but I do think he's a cool guy.

Basically he's liberal GWB. W was touted by conservatives as "a guy you can have a beer with" and Obama is the same but for liberals.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
a guy you can get dunked on by

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Tell me more about the shomrim. The London ones have always seemed pretty decent to me.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
also what is something y'all have learned to do or adopted to fit into your work environment or profession or whatever. your bobby brace, your ted tunic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disinterested posted:

Tell me more about the shomrim. The London ones have always seemed pretty decent to me.

Read that article I posted?

The Warszawa posted:

your bobby brace, your ted tunic.

What

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

also what is something y'all have learned to do or adopted to fit into your work environment or profession or whatever. your bobby brace, your ted tunic.

Getting out of bed before 10:30-11:00 remains the biggest adjustment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

recently the presidential primary thread was talking about Bobby Jindal and, to a lesser extent, Ted Cruz going by less "ethnic" names and I'm really interested in how identity functions and adapts to different environments. like - what do you hide, what did you learn to do, what do you feign interest in?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

you're good people WJ

you're real good people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

recently the presidential primary thread was talking about Bobby Jindal and, to a lesser extent, Ted Cruz going by less "ethnic" names and I'm really interested in how identity functions and adapts to different environments. like - what do you hide, what did you learn to do, what do you feign interest in?

Hrm well literally everything.

Also, it's an open secret that Elena Kagan is gay right.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
she's actually not tho.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

A Chinese guy I went to university with picked an anglophone first name to blend in more easily.

He chose 'Cruiser'. Cruiser Zhang.

I just don't tell people I'm a goon, naturally. I use goon smilies on the work IM though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i've gotten some pretty sick raises ever since i started playing to the stereotype of absent-minded brilliant computer engineer. i also don't have to conform to the dress code, and people seem to think that i'm constantly busy in Deep Thought and therefore always timidly knock and say "i hate to waste your time, but" when im just sitting in my office shitposting

e: no matter where you are, or what sector of the industry you're in, people will notice and respond if you give off whiffs of silicon valley arrogance

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 13, 2015

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Disinterested posted:

A Chinese guy I went to university with picked an anglophone first name to blend in more easily.

He chose 'Cruiser'. Cruiser Zhang.

almost every East Asian person I knew in college or law school did this, which is kind of fascinating - i wouldn't expect it to be so uniform.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

a guy you can get dunked on by

I dunno about that but he has a p. sweet finger roll

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i've gotten some pretty sick raises ever since i started playing to the stereotype of absent-minded brilliant computer engineer. i also don't have to conform to the dress code, and people seem to think that i'm constantly busy in Deep Thought and therefore always timidly knock and say "i hate to waste your time, but" when im just sitting in my office shitposting

e: no matter where you are, or what sector of the industry you're in, people will notice and respond if you give off whiffs of silicon valley arrogance

I shitpost all day and people assume the same poo poo about me. It's quite amazing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Warszawa posted:

im a white male so...I don't understand the question??

edit: I wear suits and ties to work and all non-suited coworkers just assume i am doing Something Important at all times but I'm really just shitposting while waiting for X amounts of reports to run most days

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 13, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

almost every East Asian person I knew in college or law school did this, which is kind of fascinating - i wouldn't expect it to be so uniform.

Almost every East Asian person I have ever known in the US did this.

e:also

Berke Negri posted:

im a white male so...I don't understand the question??

same

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

How is this different from any person learning to adapt to their environment and influence different kinds of people.

my name changes depending on my context, too.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

euphronius posted:

How is this different from any person learning to adapt to their environment and influence different kinds of people.

my name changes depending on my context, too.

it's not necessarily which is why i posed the question, because what people consider their identity varies from person to person.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Funny enough, I'm white as hell but have an 'exotic' first name and I was told after months of not getting job interviews to use my gender-neutral nickname and sure enough the calls came in. loving disappointing and disparaging.

E: my boss who was fired last month specifically put 'Mexican-sounding' applications directly into the garbage, as he felt there was too many of them taking white jobs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Armani posted:

Funny enough, I'm white as hell but have an 'exotic' first name and I was told after months of not getting job interviews to use my gender-neutral nickname and sure enough the calls came in. loving disappointing and disparaging.

E: my boss who was fired last month specifically put 'Mexican-sounding' applications directly into the garbage, as he felt there was too many of them taking white jobs

Yeah that's a well documented phenomenon.

quote:

The other, however, suggests a black-sounding name remains an impediment to getting a job. After responding to 1,300 classified ads with dummy resumes, the authors found black-sounding names were 50 percent less likely to get a callback than white-sounding names with comparable resumes.

Sorry Sharkeshia but this job is going to Kydynlyne.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

screenwipe 2014 wasn't that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

that end song especially

• Locked thread