Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Cali goons: Y'all like Kamala Harris?

Everyone likes Kamala Harris. She's been floated as a SCOTUS nominee for the next seat, that's how much everyone likes a state attorney general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Boehner's Birthday Song has been annotated on Genius, so you can follow along with its many subtleties.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

Everyone likes Kamala Harris. She's been floated as a SCOTUS nominee for the next seat, that's how much everyone likes a state attorney general.

Well she's running for Boxer's seat, which is why I asked.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Well she's running for Boxer's seat, which is why I asked.

Yeah, I know (hence my post in the Senate thread that Goodwin Liu is pretty thrilled today). But if you're wondering whether she's got an existing national profile, the answer is yes.

Also, the Atlantic has a really good piece on public university education in NYC today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm this seems a bit hysterical to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2ZS231BAQ

This is like a Simpsons Kent Brockman gag.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hahahaha Jesus Christ all my entitled rich rear end in a top hat Chinese-American friends who bitch about how unfair it is that they have to score 200 points higher on the SAT to get into the same school as some black kid from Compton can go straight to hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Hmmm this seems a bit hysterical to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2ZS231BAQ

This is like a Simpsons Kent Brockman gag.

I, for one, welcome our new Muslim overlords! I'd like to remind them as a trusted tv personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground falafel caves.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

baw posted:

Space exploration is cool and everything but on the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

:lol: I hope you're not being serious.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Raskolnikov38 posted:

(he's got to be joking, because it's a pretty funny response)

Whitey's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeYGo33_wkY

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh right i meant to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OacVy8_nJi0

makes u think

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Ted Cruz would like the Senate to repeal Common Core. I'll give you 3 guesses what is wrong with that idea

I'm more curious how he can shoot his own foot again like he did earlier.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

zoux posted:

Like her or not, she's running for retiring Barbara Boxer's Senate seat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Ted Cruz would like the Senate to repeal Common Core. I'll give you 3 guesses what is wrong with that idea

Since Ted Cruz has no intention of accomplishing anything but self-promotion, absolutely nothing is wrong with that idea.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Speaking of Ted Cruz, has this thread congratulated him yet on his new position as chair of the Subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness? Hooray :toot:

Under his surefooted, strong leadership, I foresee great things coming up for the scientific community of America! By which I of course mean a whole lot of scientists losing their funding so he has something to blame on Obama in service of his own political career. God bless America :patriot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
According to Cruz's Communications Director he'll use his position on the committee that oversees NASA to push for more missions and exploration.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So I guess Cruz sees he's so despised, he's planning on a one-way ticket to Mars or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

According to Cruz's Communications Director he'll use his position on the committee that oversees NASA to push for more missions and exploration.

Haha I expect all your apology letters to be mailed today.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Because NASA money doesn't exist for any other purpose, right? :bang:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo, financial poo poo is the reason why my wife and I are not planning to have another child. If we were in a slightly better financial situation plus a tax credit that would certainly help. To make it clear: we would like to have another child but we can't afford it.

Sorry man, we've got to funnel money towards people who just have babies like crazy regardless of their ability to support them. It's important to incentivize that behavior, and not your responsible behavior, because reasons.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So is he going to push for a larger budget to go with that? Otherwise that'll still be a whole lot of nothing NASA will be doing.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So I guess Cruz sees he's so despised, he's planning on a one-way ticket to Mars or something?

Dammit, the voting potential! It's a red planet!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Radbot posted:

Sorry man, we've got to funnel money towards people who just have babies like crazy regardless of their ability to support them. It's important to incentivize that behavior, and not your responsible behavior, because reasons.

Haha, look at this piece of poo poo.

Only people with money deserve to have kids

A leftist, 2015

:fuckoff:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gravel Gravy posted:

So is he going to push for a larger budget to go with that? Otherwise that'll still be a whole lot of nothing NASA will be doing.

It's quite likely that he will because NASA is based in Texas and very little of what they do actually effects people at home.

Now, something like NOAA that reports on pesky things like climate change, on the other hand...

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cruz is clearly just angling for the valuable Gingrich endorsement.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The Warszawa posted:

Dammit, the voting potential! It's a red planet!

Yeah but the population is only Val Kilmer and Ice Cube so it'll have no House representation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

It's quite likely that he will because NASA is based in Texas and very little of what they do actually effects people at home.

Now, something like NOAA that reports on pesky things like climate change, on the other hand...

Manned spaceflight is headquartered in Texas, while the parts of NASA doing some of the most expensive parts of climate change research are not in Texas.

You only mess with NOAA when you are on the weather channel's payroll.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

E: ^^ welp :v: ^^

Joementum posted:

Is there an unstated "and no climate research" at the end of that or does NASA already not do any?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cruz remembered what state he represented, I'm shocked actually. Perhaps he'll also look to the Obama admin to put some pressure on OPEC too?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

E: ^^ welp :v: ^^

Is there an unstated "and no climate research" at the end of that or does NASA already not do any?

I mean, they launch weather and earth observation satellites but climate research has never been NASA's thing.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Geology not explicitly related to Genesis will also get the axe.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rygar201 posted:

Haha, look at this piece of poo poo.

Only people with money deserve to have kids

A leftist, 2015

:fuckoff:
It's perfectly reasonable to point out that a system incentivizes behavior that isn't what it's designers think it does. But he could have phrased it better!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Radbot posted:

Good luck "incentivizing" people not to gently caress by using taxes

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Include references to "urban thugs" and congrats, you're a suburban white family.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

evilweasel posted:

He means that the Democrats lost legislative control in 2010. Once they lost the House, they lost legislative control. There is not a significant difference in their ability to pass legislation as a result of the 2014 elections which completely torpedoes your argument.

Oh, he was trying to claim the opposite of what I was pointing out. Now that they're completely out of the game, they claim they're going to change things for the better. By, "torpedoes" you mean, "grasps at straws instead of responds in a meaningful way," I take it.

SedanChair posted:

After seeing people buy gas guzzlers when the price of gas goes down--over and over again--I'm not so sure.

That Americans were unwilling to look at the tag or country-of-origin label on products as they bought things, to the point that American industries such as textiles and electronics went out of business almost entirely, should answer your question.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 13, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radbot posted:

the child tax credit stops increasing after two kids so your fears about too many of your tax dollars going to the overly fertile underclass have already been acted on :v:

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh, he was trying to claim the opposite of what I was pointing out. Now that they're completely out of the game, they claim they're going to change things for the better. By, "torpedoes" you mean, "grasps at straws instead of responds in a meaningful way," I take it.

No, your post was dumb. There is no meaningful difference in the Democrats ability to pass legislation before or after the 2014 election. Your dumb posting assumes that 2014 was somehow relevant to their ability to pass this legislation: once we know that is not true then your theory about the causal chain of events here collapses. That doesn't fit in your paranoid worldview so you're grasping at straws regarding the Senate.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 13, 2015

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

Kalman posted:

I mean, they launch weather and earth observation satellites but climate research has never been NASA's thing.

http://climate.nasa.gov/

yes it has

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Bernie Sanders is trying to get Senators to publicly vote on whether they believe climate change is real. It probably won't get to the floor, but it's a nice little piece of trolling.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Knowing Ted Cruz his idea of space exploration will be shooting convicts into space to colonize planets.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Geology not explicitly related to Genesis will also get the axe.

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

She's definitely the best looking AG according to Obama

• Locked thread