Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Exclamation Marx posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gtlxp

Charlie Hebdo columnist Zineb El Rhazoui on why the latest edition depicts Prophet Muhammad

Crossposting my transcription for people at work:

quote:

"ZeR: All the team could meet together friday morning, and we had to start working immediately. It was not easy because those of us who are not dead are injured or traumatised and we had to make this issue in these very difficult conditions. But I think we have done a good job, and we are all proud to have done a good job this week.

Interviewer: Do you believe this kind of cover was necessary to show nothing had changed after last week?

ZeR: It was not necessary, I think it was important. You know, the prophet did not inspire us a lot this week. All the drawings I saw since Friday, since the cartoonists started drawing on friday, and I have barely seen one image of the prophet. We were still hesitating yesterday over which drawing we would choose and I am very happy it was this one. You know, this week, if the terrorists hadn't killed my colleagues I think this week the cover would have been about culture or sport or politics. But because of terrorists who have killed my colleagues for that, 3 million people will have the prophet's drawing at home. It is very important for us to don't accept that my colleagues are not censored after death, it is very important for us to choose this drawing. So I think it was very important to choose this drawing.

Interviewer: What do you say to muslims who are appalled by this violence but are offended by this week's cover?

ZeR: I would tell them that it is a drawing, and they don't have to buy this edition of Charlie Hebdo if they don't appreciate this drawing. We only do our job, we do not violate the law. We are much more hurt, much more upset, for our colleagues death. Our colleagues died for small drawings, for simple drawings, for a joke. What happened to us was not a joke.

Muslims must understand that we at Charlie Hebdo just consider Islam just as a normal religion, just as all the other religions in France. It is a religion that now belongs to the social reality in France, so Islam must accept to be treated like all the other religions in the country, and must accept humour also.

Interviewer: The front page has the title 'All is forgiven' - to whom is the title addressed?

ZeR: We feel that we have to forgive what happened. I think that those who have been killed, if they were here, they would have been able to have a coffee today with the terrorists today, and just talk them, ask them why they have done this. We feel as Charlie Hebdo's team that we need to forgive the two terrorists who have killed our colleagues. We cannot feel any hate to them - we know that the struggle is not with them as persons, as people, the struggle is against an ideology. I think what happened - this mobilisation here in France after this horrible crime - this must open the door to forgiveness and everyone must think about this forgiveness. We at the Charlie Hebdo team, I think we have to forgive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rorus Raz posted:

Priggee said this day would come :ohdear:

I wish, although a manga-style Ramirez would be a thing of unadulterated horror.

might try putting one together while I'm thinking about it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

Sutton said Kelly was impressed with my edit :kimchi:

It's really nice that he's approachable about it and takes it all with good humor :shobon:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rorus Raz posted:

Sutton said Kelly was impressed with my edit :kimchi:

It really was perfect. And biting, too. Kelly's been a bit safe recently.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Speaking of Sutton:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/01/12/charlie-hebdo-attack-reverberates-across-journalism/QAya3iJRgyJGZ9N1Rcv1iO/story.html

Sorry, phone posting, can't upload images.

loquacius posted:

(btw you can definitely figure out a solution to upload images from a phone; I can do that and I have a Windows Phone for God's sake)
My issue is mostly location. I work on the river, so my signal tends to be slow or nonexistent at times. Lots of dead zones. I could probably find an imgur app or something, just haven't been arsed to do it.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 13, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Got your back bro :)

(btw you can definitely figure out a solution to upload images from a phone; I can do that and I have a Windows Phone for God's sake)

e: timg'ed for huge

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

About time someone put Jeffy in check, that guy was getting a little too radical

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kelly's leaking from that fourth panel :allears:

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
If extremism brought an end to Marmaduke I might be okay with that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Count Canuckula posted:

If extremism brought an end to Marmaduke I might be okay with that.

Make way for MarmaDaoud.
Though that makes little sense and translates to 'Daoud's Goal'.
Funny thing about Arabic is that it also uses the word for goal as both the sports term and the regular term.

But I would read a comic about a Great DaneDamascan playing football with the pros.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Arab Bud 2

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

the_steve posted:

Speaking of Sutton:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/01/12/charlie-hebdo-attack-reverberates-across-journalism/QAya3iJRgyJGZ9N1Rcv1iO/story.html

Sorry, phone posting, can't upload images.

My issue is mostly location. I work on the river, so my signal tends to be slow or nonexistent at times. Lots of dead zones. I could probably find an imgur app or something, just haven't been arsed to do it.

If you have the awful app you can upload images to imgur directly from the app. Just tap the text field, pick [ img ], and then From Library.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Muir changed the font on his last cartoon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I loving LOOOOVE ISLAM.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

We're we're all going. Join us us.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Tinsley isn't going to stop his new year cartoons super series to talk about a recent tragedy or is he just two weeks late as usual?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Obama is all set for SecularBowl IXV: The Cardinals vs The Calpihs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I loving love how conservatives love us now, by the way :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I loving love how conservatives love us now, by the way :allears:

Yeah the best thing Obama could've done for US-France relations was snub them. He should start snubbing all the countries he needs conservatives to be favorable to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yeah the best thing Obama could've done for US-France relations was snub them. He should start snubbing all the countries he needs conservatives to be favorable to.
It's an old joke but have the dems ever actually proposed a symbolic bill supporting breathing, just to see what the republicans would do?

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.
Does anyone have any unironic FREEDOM FRIES or anti French cartoons from Conservatives from back in the Bush years? I just like to see the contrast sometimes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's an old joke but have the dems ever actually proposed a symbolic bill supporting breathing, just to see what the republicans would do?

Michelle Obama came out in support for drinking water and they threw a fit about how it's not REALLY THAT good for you and you PROBABLY don't need it.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/are-conservatives-really-going-after-michelle-obama-for-promoting-water/

EDIT: Have some hilarious quotes

That Article posted:

Some conservatives have been quick to jump on Michelle Obama for her “scientific” claims, pointing to a POLITICO story that quotes experts who claim there are discernible benefits from drinking one extra glass of water a day. Rush Limbaugh called it “just more command-and-control” from the Obama White House. The Washington Times went after the “the nation’s most prominent anti-obesity crusader” for misleading the public. And the Washington Free Beacon blasted the headline, “Michelle Obama’s Drink More Water Campaign Based on Faulty Science.”

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also the whole "let's try to eat healthy" has been met with a sustained campaign of "gently caress you, you fat cow! *stuffs entire fry box into mouth*" This has literally been going on for years, and not just on fringe blogs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Michelle Obama came out in support for drinking water and they threw a fit about how it's not REALLY THAT good for you and you PROBABLY don't need it.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/are-conservatives-really-going-after-michelle-obama-for-promoting-water/

Well, fish do gently caress in it.

The conservative movement in America is literally insane.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

This needs to get more love.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Well, fish do gently caress in it.

The conservative movement in America is literally insane.
What on earth is going to happen to them when/if we have a republican president again? I mean, republicans under GWB were nothing compared to now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

What on earth is going to happen to them when/if we have a republican president again? I mean, republicans under GWB were nothing compared to now.

I'm more concerned about what's going to happen to us.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

She should come out in favor of not killing yourself

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

I mean her entire campaign is basically "Stop being fat and having diabetes and heart disease everyone god dammit" so we're already half way there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

forbidden lesbian posted:

Sure you won't eradicate the GOP entirely, but enough might commit spite-induced suicide to make them demographically irrelevant in the coming years.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:regd08:

Even 3+ years later Branco thinks Eastwood's "empty chair" speech was some kind of a sick burn and not an embarrassing spectacle. Also Putin wasn't there, you dunce.

Lisa Benson and Jim "Get a brain" Morin make the exact same joke.

Gorrell of course figures out how he can comment on this with the least effort possible.

Trying to figure out if this is offensive or just stupid. Probably the latter.

I like this one :3:

:sigh:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lysdexique posted:

Does anyone have any unironic FREEDOM FRIES or anti French cartoons from Conservatives from back in the Bush years? I just like to see the contrast sometimes.

Sure, here's some Cagle.

Cox and Forkum

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That flag looks like some kind of cyber-fish.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Muir changed the font on his last cartoon.

Gotta love the floating tablet. There is no way she can hold it in that position unless its like some sort of giant ring.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

That flag looks like some kind of cyber-fish.

Can I get one for my car bumper?

E: AK-Fishy7. Pray and spray.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Obama, why didn't you magically teleport to the other side of the world?

THANKS OBAMA.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Have we talked yet about how the world leaders' unity march in Paris was a giant photo op on a closed off, highly-secured empty street?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ry-9972895.html

Even if Obama went, I imagine he would be blasted for participating in a giant PR stunt. Once again, I think it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for him.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
'Heh, can't wait to draw a comic about Obama smugly attending some hypocritical hippy march in FRANCE while the US falls apart....wait, he didn't go?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Literally everything Obama does must be the Worst Thing Ever since the right wing's insane hatred for him is the thing keeping their tent of racists, working class white people, religious fanatic, and the rich together in a cohesive group.

• Locked thread