Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I just can't imagine what I would use the depth sensing camera on the tablet for.

The design is interesting, the specs are solid, I am in love with the OLED display on my Tab S, I can't wait to buy a OLED TV, my biggest issue is that it's basically got price and spec parity with the Tab S (Minus a gig of RAM) but Samsung for all of Touch Wiz has a track record of making tablets that don't suck and Dell is telling you to go ahead and flash sketchy ROMs on to your brand new tablet, I think I would be more impressed if they ditched the silly camera, added a gig of RAM and shipped it with almost completely stock Lollipop for the same price, maybe $375.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Not trolling here, and I realize more is always better, but has there been a need shown for 3GB of RAM?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone gave the new Dell Venue 8 7000 any thought? It was announced as being available today but from what I understand its been on sale at Best Buy for the past few days. It runs Android 4.4 which I don't find bad since both my Nexus 4 and 7 are still running 4.4 with no problems.

I got one the other day from Best Buy..........had to ask for it - nobody knew it existed. Worst launch ever. It's really nice, but the 16gb of ROM STORAGE (like 9.5 free on first boot) is a real bummer. The speakers (there's two in the bezel) are HTC One quality. Bassy and very loud. Very clear and crisp sound. Screen is totally stunning, both in brightness and resolution. Even better than the Tab S, IMO. It's impossibly thin and has literally zero bezels. Yeah, there's a chin that houses the front camera and speakers. It's actually handy when holding it in portrait view...awkward in landscape either way. Battery is 5500 something mAh. Lasting forever with heavy use so far. I'm guessing the Intel quad core processor is efficient? 2 gigs of RAM.

I had Zagg's corporate HQ in Utah use it as a template device today. They put a shield on the front/back free of charge, and will use the design worldwide for this model. Yeah, it's overpriced at $399, but I had a ton of giftcards to burn, so I'll probably keep it. MicroSD will be nicer when Lollipop lands.

Dell will update it to Lollipop, right guys? Guys? This my only reservation (besides the low storage). I know poo poo about Dell's Android updates. My assumption is they are worse than Samsung, but KitKat is at least stable and bug-free vs. Lollipop. Don't want to beta test anymore.

It's as good as a Nexus - fast as hell and Dell's OS is bone stock with a few non-intrusive addons (some blastingly loud sound enhancements, for example). Also Intel has baked in some motion sensing software so all you have to do it pick it up and it turns on. I'm guessing it would drain the gently caress out of it while in a bag, but it's there. The 3D measurement camera feature? No clue. No tablet should ever have a camera and this one seems to be no exception. Only tried indoors and pics were, well, lovely tablet quality. Maybe measuring a job site in full sunlight or something is their goal...that or the tech is a template for Dell making Android phones one day? It's in gimmick land for now, for sure.

Have some pics.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw0BYNUUEzkoQnl5WVNmOTkwM2c&usp=sharing

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I imagine the Dell is pretty nice. Where it'll live or die is how well they support it going forward.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I imagine the Dell is pretty nice. Where it'll live or die is how well they support it going forward.

It's really nice actually. Feels like some futuristic device Sony would churn out. Software has me concerned already though. "Gallery" a Dell application, crashes every 30 minutes or so. I'm not even using it. The gallery is what's used to leverage the "~3d triple camera measurement" feature that I've yet to figure out. Also Office for Android doesn't work since it only supports ARM processors. Fun! A unique processor! It's blazing fast though. Faster than any Android device I've touched including the Nexus 9.

I agree. Dell has superior hardware here, only to be potentially ruined by lovely software support.

As always, fingers crossed. That should be the Android prayer. It will improve soon, right? Right guys?

Guys?..........

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hotsauce posted:

I got one the other day from Best Buy..........had to ask for it - nobody knew it existed. Worst launch ever. It's really nice, but the 16gb of RAM (like 9.5 free on first boot)

Your tablet doesn't have 16gb of RAM.

I feel like you know this, though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Your tablet doesn't have 16gb of RAM.

I feel like you know this, though.

Yah, its quoted so it will never go away. Fixed thanks. 2 gigs of RAM. 9.5 gigs of storage.

I have to say the google keyboard (stock on this) sounds are pretty awesome while typing. The speakers are balls out awesome. Dell nailed them even if they are situated in an internet crybaby chin. They may be better than the HTC One speakers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Yah, its quoted so it will never go away. Fixed thanks. 2 gigs of RAM. 9.5 gigs of storage.

I have to say the google keyboard (stock on this) sounds are pretty awesome while typing. The speakers are balls out awesome. Dell nailed them even if they are situated in an internet crybaby chin. They may be better than the HTC One speakers.

I have little faith in Dell, but hopefully that tablet receives community support/updates. Sounds like an excellent device, software bugs notwithstanding.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

It's really nice actually. Feels like some futuristic device Sony would churn out.
Sony hasn't made a decent device since the early 90s. I can't think of a company that conjures "so rooted in its past that they've been abandoned by the future" more than Sony except maybe Microsoft.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

drat that looks amazing, but I think I'll wait for an ota first since the dev scene doesn't bother much with strange processors.

Is anything new even lined up for CES?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Sony hasn't made a decent device since the early 90s. I can't think of a company that conjures "so rooted in its past that they've been abandoned by the future" more than Sony except maybe Microsoft.

Don't know about the tablets but the whole Xperia Z phones are fantastic so you're punishing them kinda hard and if you follow something about microsoft, the surface series are fantastic and their first phone branded as Microsoft, not Nokia, the Lumia 535 is unbeatable when it comes to budget and quality. I own a Nokia Lumia 925 and while it has modest specs compared to actual phones it doesnt look or feel like an early 2013 phone.

Also, my last non android phone was a Sony Ericsson W980 (2008) wich was an amazing phone and mp3 player with 8gb storage and it came with nifty stereo speakers that had nice audio quality.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Dell updated the original Venue 8 from 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4.2 with no skin. No news about Lollipop, but Google hasn't pushed them out to all their Nexus devices either.

However, the battery life on it tanked super fast after each update.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Don't know about the tablets but the whole Xperia Z phones are fantastic so you're punishing them kinda hard

Yeah I had a Z2 tablet for about 2 months and it was pretty good to me? I'd definitely consider it at least a 'decent' device :shrug:.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guillermus posted:

if you follow something about microsoft, the surface series are fantastic

Debatable. We've had various Surfaces around the Office to try out and I just don't see any appeal.

Guillermus posted:

and their first phone branded as Microsoft, not Nokia, the Lumia 535 is unbeatable when it comes to budget and quality.

Maybe if the Moto G didn't exist. As it stands 'doesn't have 4G LTE, its under-powered processor results in a sluggish interface, the touchscreen can be unresponsive and the screen is neither sharp nor particularly vivid.' doesn't sound unbeatable

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just wiped the cache partition on my N9. It took like 20 minutes (thought it was hung).

Difference is night and day right now as far as random hanging and stuttering. We'll see how long this lasts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Don't know about the tablets but the whole Xperia Z phones are fantastic so you're punishing them kinda hard and if you follow something about microsoft, the surface series are fantastic and their first phone branded as Microsoft, not Nokia, the Lumia 535 is unbeatable when it comes to budget and quality. I own a Nokia Lumia 925 and while it has modest specs compared to actual phones it doesnt look or feel like an early 2013 phone.

Also, my last non android phone was a Sony Ericsson W980 (2008) wich was an amazing phone and mp3 player with 8gb storage and it came with nifty stereo speakers that had nice audio quality.
I wasn't referring to phones, I was referring to anything at all better than their competitors. Sony hasn't led in anything from a technical standpoint since the Trinitron days and haven't been culturally relevant since the 80s with the Walkman. I was specifically replying to the comment that [something] "feels like some futuristic device Sony would churn out" which just struck me as odd that anyone under forty could have the perception that Sony made anything that felt vaguely futuristic in the last twenty years. They're the epitome of backward-facing reactionary consumer manufacturing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Sony hasn't led in anything from a technical standpoint since the Trinitron days and haven't been culturally relevant since the 80s with the Walkman

The best selling console of all time: not in the lead from technical standpoint at launch or culturally relevant, somehow.

The previous best selling console of all time, and at least tied for leading from a technical standpoint at launch and indeed for the next few years: also not culturally relevant somehow?

Not to mention the PS3 was/is neck and neck with Xbox 360 last gen, or how the PS4 is currently pretty dominant and at least slightly ahead technically speaking right now.

You're a clown.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Owned by fishmech.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I did forget about videogames because I haven't been a child in a long time. True though, SCEA was a bright spot although claims like the PS3 being neck and neck with the 360 is funny because that means hey they almost got to second place in a three man race.

They did manage to sacrifice a lot to get a standard actually accepted after years of failure past the compact disc (just in time for the world to abandon physical media en masse) so there's a quasi-win for them.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

Sony hasn't made a decent device since the early 90s.

Sony set the new standard for best compact camera not so long ago with the RX100

And the new mark III version is again a new standard.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I did forget about videogames because I haven't been a child in a long time.

You're arguing with fishmech and you make yourself look like a giant cock. That's impressive.

Saying Sony hasn't been culturally relevant since the 80s is just blind idiocy though. There was cultural pushback for their ads for the PSP, and who cared about that? (Oh wait, three people in my home own one, you're just really loving wrong).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You're arguing with fishmech and you make yourself look like a giant cock. That's impressive.

Saying Sony hasn't been culturally relevant since the 80s is just blind idiocy though. There was cultural pushback for their ads for the PSP, and who cared about that? (Oh wait, three people in my home own one, you're just really loving wrong).
This isn't the thread to discuss it but anyone who thinks Sony is a healthy company with a bright future looking toward the future is flat out retarded. They're a textbook case study for "Don't do this" in so many ways that it's difficult to really grasp the scope, depth, and breadth of their problems.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

LastInLine posted:

This isn't the thread to discuss it but anyone who thinks Sony is a healthy company with a bright future looking toward the future is flat out retarded. They're a textbook case study for "Don't do this" in so many ways that it's difficult to really grasp the scope, depth, and breadth of their problems.

Actually they have many healthy and/or relevant divisions and companies already mentioned. Others include pro audio units like the rappers' favourite c-800g or the still ground breaking hardware convolution reverb. Not consumer level sure, they are rough in that sector. And for TV every drat manufacturer is struggling so hardly a slant specific to Sony. Sony doesn't have a single conglomerate entity that every division and company rolls up into, so unsure how you can measure their health so readily.

On the subject of tablets I have had my N9 for over a month and absolutely love it. My previous was a first gen galaxy tab 10.1 so that probably colours my experience a lot -- that device was barely on ICS and even that took major work to get. Nevertheless the battery life is stellar for me on the N9, as I never turn off the screen on my own and run video podcasts for several hours daily.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I agree that Sony is making lots of good products. I just bought an Alpha a5100.

It does feel weird to me to say "this thing is so futuristic, it's like Sony made it".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

8" 1600x768 LCD, built in 3G, 9.65 x 0.78" x 4.72", full Windows, SSD, 1.4 pounds. It came out 6 years ago. I'm pretty sad that Sony sold of VAIO, sure many of their products were flawed but they were really the only company doing really, really interesting things in the PC space.

Honestly Sony is one of the only CE companies that really still knows how to radically innovate, their major problem seems to be they do it when it is still too expensive and flawed for it to catch on with consumers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They still make some of the best TVs. They are a bit overpriced usually, but so far nothing I've seen beats Sony's motion handling on their sets. My W900A was a steal at $1300 easily one of the top LCDs for 2013 and 2014.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

8" 1600x768 LCD, built in 3G, 9.65 x 0.78" x 4.72", full Windows, SSD, 1.4 pounds. It came out 6 years ago. I'm pretty sad that Sony sold of VAIO, sure many of their products were flawed but they were really the only company doing really, really interesting things in the PC space.

Honestly Sony is one of the only CE companies that really still knows how to radically innovate, their major problem seems to be they do it when it is still too expensive and flawed for it to catch on with consumers.

Yeah, watching the Vaio P's collapse and slide into obscurity was sad. Both the first and second generations never caught on, despite delivering fanless top-tier potential for its precise format. Basically perfect for students and on-the-go types, but priced way higher than any normal budget. Weird time in portable-computing history, but smartphones turning from awful crap (Win 6.x, resistive screens, optical mice, etc) into legitimate personal computers sealed its fate. Even Sony's awkward Android sequel (clamshell tablet) failed to sell at a lower price-point.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, watching the Vaio P's collapse and slide into obscurity was sad. Both the first and second generations never caught on, despite delivering fanless top-tier potential for its precise format. Basically perfect for students and on-the-go types, but priced way higher than any normal budget. Weird time in portable-computing history, but smartphones turning from awful crap (Win 6.x, resistive screens, optical mice, etc) into legitimate personal computers sealed its fate. Even Sony's awkward Android sequel (clamshell tablet) failed to sell at a lower price-point.

I bought one when it came out, still have it and use it on occasion, it was overpriced, a little under-powered, the battery life is ehh but it still is a fabulous device for note taking and it will literally fit your back pocket.

I wish they would give the VAIO P form factor another stab now that the Atom chips don't really kind of suck and the overall components are fairly common. Ideally Windows 8 but honestly if Samsung came out with the Tab S 8.4 with an honest to god keyboard, it can be detachable but only if it works completely like a laptop with a very sturdy mechanism that locks into place and allows it to work completely like a laptop I would buy it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Returned the Dell for an open box 32 gig Nexus 9, which was $100 cheaper@ $299.

The Dell was neat but the 9 gig storage on first boot is hilariously barbaric. Fail guys. Its 2015.

BUT SD isn't a solution.

I miss the bass on the Dell speakers. Nothing else.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 9, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hey folks, here's a question: I have a 2013 Nexus 7. It has 8gb used of 12.7 available and I can't figure out what is using up all that space. Like 1 gig is podcasts and books, and the rest is unknown, it seems like a ton of space considering I barely have any pictures or anything on there, mostly just TV/Movie watching apps. I've used various apps to clear out space, mainly from caches and temporary folders, but that only gets it down to 7.5 gb.

Is it like dead space from system updates or anything like that? How much would a reformat clear out?

Thanks.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

red19fire posted:

Hey folks, here's a question: I have a 2013 Nexus 7. It has 8gb used of 12.7 available and I can't figure out what is using up all that space.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Hey folks, here's a question: I have a 2013 Nexus 7. It has 8gb used of 12.7 available and I can't figure out what is using up all that space.
Nandroid backups take up a bunch of space if that's a thing you've ever done.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The cache on Play Music is another huge one, but "System data" on the storage card is pretty opaque for being 6GB of data on my 32GB device. DiskUsage doesn't break that down but I'd like to know exactly what system data is occupying more space than my apps or music.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm using MX Player on the recommendation of this thread, and really liking it. But I've noticed it seems to be eating a frightening amount of power. 26% of charge over 7 hours while the device was asleep. Is there a magic setting I'm overlooking to stop it hogging juice or do I really have to manually close the app out every time I want to send the device to sleep?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm using MX Player on the recommendation of this thread, and really liking it. But I've noticed it seems to be eating a frightening amount of power. 26% of charge over 7 hours while the device was asleep. Is there a magic setting I'm overlooking to stop it hogging juice or do I really have to manually close the app out every time I want to send the device to sleep?

Never happened to me. Odd. Were you playing local media? You may have set it to keep playing background audio and it was still awake trying to do that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, it was a video file on a MicroSD card. "Background play" was disabled, "Background play (audio)" was on. I've turned it off and will test once it has recharged. Thanks.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
someone convince me to sell/not sell my nexus 9 and buy a dell venue 8 7000 instead. The side buttons are really getting to me on an otherwise acceptable tablet and the venue 8 7000 looks really good (although the side buttons on that also look kinda butt)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

horchata posted:

someone convince me to sell/not sell my nexus 9 and buy a dell venue 8 7000 instead. The side buttons are really getting to me on an otherwise acceptable tablet and the venue 8 7000 looks really good (although the side buttons on that also look kinda butt)

Do whatever you wish but I did the exact opposite. I saw the Dell in Best Buy, bought it instantly. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, however I don't trust Dell's ability to update it at all. The first OTA boots up with the little Android guy and writing it looks like Korean or Chinese. Not really reassuring for the US market. Also some of Dells own apps don't even work yet. The nail in the coffin for me was having nine gigs available on the first boot. Yes there's a microSD slot, however with KitKat the practicality is extremely limited. Great speakers, great screen, great hardware all ruined by Dells sketchy update track record, and extremely low on board storage. It's a shame.

If you're okay with such a low amount of local storage and possibly waiting on lollipop for a very long time, it really is a nice piece hardware. Otherwise it will fail in 2015 unless a 32 gig version is ushered out the door really fast.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 13, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Nexus 9 is now available in "sand" color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I got a Tab S8.4 last Wednesday. Is it normal for it to lose 1% an hour on standby battery wise?

I ask this because, like an idiot, I goggled about the battery life to see what the numbers were like and I landed face first into the XDA forms with a bunch of people whining royal about it and basically doing the "Web MD oh christ I have cancer" thing on my new tablet because the first few power cycles were a bit lacking clocking in about a day between standby and two and a bit hours OST, I later understood that most of it was taken up by the indexing service reading my SD Card cuz one of the pdfs on it was junked to hell and back.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 13, 2015