Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Borderlands is a weird one because the gameplay concept is incredible but they just completely gently caress the execution in the dumbest ways possible. It's like, why make your singleplayer game turn into a complete loving grind? Surely playtesters must have spoken up about how poo poo the game becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

redweird posted:

Borderlands is a weird one because the gameplay concept is incredible but they just completely gently caress the execution in the dumbest ways possible. It's like, why make your singleplayer game turn into a complete loving grind? Surely playtesters must have spoken up about how poo poo the game becomes.

Because Borderlands is an FPS Diablo.
And everyone looks back on waiting and grinding for hours for gear for their class and build so they can start being effective in higher difficulties.

NO, NO ONE WANTS THAT EXCEPT ASSHOLES.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Borderlands has really bland rear end loot and the idea of an action RPG with only one active skill per class is ridiculous. It adopts the tedium of the genre but little of the actual reasons of why they're fun to play.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found Deadlift pretty easy, I was surprised after I heard so many warnings about him. I died quickly the very first time I played with a friend. Then she had to leave and I beat him easily by myself with a gun I got in a side-mission. Maybe they didn't fairly balance boss difficulty with number of players?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

My friend and I fought Deadlift recently on new characters-- a fresh Claptrap and a fresh Wilhelm. We skipped most of the early sidequests because we just wanted to get to Concordia as fast as possible. I activated Vaulthunter.exe when we got into the room. We got the Krieg ability where both of us were locked into melee attacks. We braced ourselves because we knew we would never catch him and if we did he would just make the floor electric and kill us.

It was the easiest time we ever had fighting Deadlift. He went down like a chump with just two people hitting him with melee attacks. :shrug:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JebanyPedal posted:

Borderlands has really bland rear end loot and the idea of an action RPG with only one active skill per class is ridiculous. It adopts the tedium of the genre but little of the actual reasons of why they're fun to play.

One active skill and you don't even get to use it until you're five levels in. I like Borderlands but the skill "tree" is an absolute loving atrocity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I felt Destiny didn't have enough either and you have like 4 there.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because Borderlands is an FPS Diablo.
And everyone looks back on waiting and grinding for hours for gear for their class and build so they can start being effective in higher difficulties.

NO, NO ONE WANTS THAT EXCEPT ASSHOLES.
At least real Diablo fixed its drop rates to be fun and reasonable. :colbert:

So Far Cry 4 is a very great game to be sure, and inarguably better than Far Cry 3 in its more nuanced storytelling and mostly improved gameplay, but it ends its story about 1-3 chapters too soon.

To be specific, the final three campaign missions of the game should have been you seizing control of The Golden Path by taking out the obviously corrupt leader still alive, and becoming capital K King of Kyrat. That they left that plot thread dangling seemed like such a drat shame. I will say they handled Pagan Min very well, especially in the ending though. A much more satisfying ending than 3, and many other games.

E: Oh also, they were way too inconsistent with how they pronounced Ajay Ghale.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jan 12, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sardonik posted:

I thought this was believable enough: he pronounces it Ay-Jay, since that is an American name and he's spent his entire lucid life as an American, but the locals pronounce it how it's "meant" to be pronounced. Same goes for his last name. And it's not like his mom would insist on the Kyrati pronunciation, since she'd presumably be keeping a low profile.

ALSO: Shadow of Mordor is ROCKIN EXCELLENT, but I wish that more fights would, you know, end. I try to take out a captain, and then Uruks just stream in endlessly. Is this intentional, like, am I supposed to end nearly every fight by either running away or dying, and if so, how am I supposed to grab the runes?

DStecks has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Jan 12, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It sounds like you let an orc sound the alarm in a stronghold. You need to make sure to kill them before they do that otherwise you get infinite waves of orcs. A flame icon will appear on the screen that will point you to the direction to the orc who is rushing to the alarm.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RyokoTK posted:

One active skill and you don't even get to use it until you're five levels in. I like Borderlands but the skill "tree" is an absolute loving atrocity.

Don't forget that your active skill also has a cooldown which can make it annoying if you accidentally use it and can be completely useless if you don't bother putting a lot of skills to buff it.

DStecks posted:

ALSO: Shadow of Mordor is ROCKIN EXCELLENT, but I wish that more fights would, you know, end. I try to take out a captain, and then Uruks just stream in endlessly. Is this intentional, like, am I supposed to end nearly every fight by either running away or dying, and if so, how am I supposed to grab the runes?

Killing a Captain or other named Orc/Uruk should send the rest fleeing in a panic. Sometimes you'll have a straggler or two that linger but you should be able to dispatch them and then grab the rune(s). I don't know if runes can disappear after a set amount of time, but I do know that leaving an area and coming back does not de-spawn the rune(s) that have been dropped. I also suggest doing the "main" missions ASAP to get the ability to brand Orcs as it adds a whole new dimension to your gameplay

Edit: Also this

Accordion Man posted:

It sounds like you let an orc sound the alarm in a stronghold. You need to make sure to kill them before they do that otherwise you get infinite waves of orcs. A flame icon will appear on the screen that will point you to the direction to the orc who is rushing to the alarm.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't forget that your active skill also has a cooldown which can make it annoying if you accidentally use it and can be completely useless if you don't bother putting a lot of skills to buff it.

And since you have to dump five points into a tier of perks to move to the next tier of perks, you have to completely commit to a perk tree in order to get one of the ones at the bottom and holy gently caress it just sucks on toast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Ajay makes me miss Jason Brody as a protagonist.

I didn't think that was possible. I'm not sure it's even legal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DStecks posted:

I thought this was believable enough: he pronounces it Ay-Jay, since that is an American name and he's spent his entire lucid life as an American, but the locals pronounce it how it's "meant" to be pronounced. Same goes for his last name. And it's not like his mom would insist on the Kyrati pronunciation, since she'd presumably be keeping a low profile.

Yep, all the natives to Kyrat pronounce it Ah-Jay Gah-Lay, while all Americans pronounced it Ae-Jay Gael. When you notice it then it becomes pretty consistent.

Edit: I just finished a mission that really bothered me. The one to assassinate Noore. You're given the "choice" to either shoot her in the back of the head or try and talk to her. But if you talk to her age just ends up committing suicide anyway! What the gently caress was the point? She's dead either way, so why waste my time?

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jan 12, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RyokoTK posted:

And since you have to dump five points into a tier of perks to move to the next tier of perks, you have to completely commit to a perk tree in order to get one of the ones at the bottom and holy gently caress it just sucks on toast.

Not to mention that certain skill trees have absolute poo poo like (I think) Axton's sentry gun being a mini-nuke when you deploy it. Frankly, the sentry gun was only worth dropping whenever you wanted a meat shield and thats terrible design IMO. Also, post-story gameplay was lame and not balanced at all, especially in single-player.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Pulled the trigger on Prison Architect a bit ago, under recommendations that while the game is still an Alpha, it's extremely playable and isn't like most Early Access games in that regard.

So as my workers are laying down some electrical wires I ordered, I noticed an error message about 'no route' to building it. I look it up, and it turns out its a known bug (with a 'fix' that only made the issue worse instead of resolving it) that has been posted a lot on the developer's forums since the late-teens versions of the game (version 28 just came out recently). Yet no concrete actual-fix by the developers has come out.

I can handle playing an Early Access Alpha game with bugs, because it just means it's a sign to drop the game and come back when its in better shape. But having a bug that the developers have known about for a significant time means I'm bound to have the game rotting in my Library.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Who What Now posted:

Yep, all the natives to Kyrat pronounce it Ah-Jay Gah-Lay, while all Americans pronounced it Ae-Jay Gael. When you notice it then it becomes pretty consistent.

Edit: I just finished a mission that really bothered me. The one to assassinate Noore. You're given the "choice" to either shoot her in the back of the head or try and talk to her. But if you talk to her age just ends up committing suicide anyway! What the gently caress was the point? She's dead either way, so why waste my time?

It's probably one of those things where they wanted you to feel like you were making a big decision but also didn't want to have to account for it later by making the outcome different.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

Right, but it's not even consistent among how the locals says it. It's like half 'Gale' (Rhymes with 'Dale') and half 'Gah-lay'. I'm pretty sure Amita pronounced it 'Gale' in some lines at least. Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure plenty of locals used the American pronunciation of it.

Oxxidation posted:

Ajay makes me miss Jason Brody as a protagonist.

I didn't think that was possible. I'm not sure it's even legal.

It's not, I'm going to have to write you a ticket.

I agree with Willis' take on him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sardonik posted:

Right, but it's not even consistent among how the locals says it. It's like half 'Gale' (Rhymes with 'Dale') and half 'Gah-lay'. I'm pretty sure Amita pronounced it 'Gale' in some lines at least. Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure plenty of locals used the American pronunciation of it.

Maybe she picked up that that's how he pronounces it, and uses that pronunciation a bit? At least with Ajay, some of the difference can just be attributable to accents, and that sometimes words can have flexible pronunciation. I had a college professor with the last name Santor, and he himself was never consistent about whether it was San-TORR or SANT-er. Gale, though, is a difference of syllables, which can't be chalked up to accents since the different pronunciation is due to how the word is spelled in the Latin alphabet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DStecks posted:

Maybe she picked up that that's how he pronounces it, and uses that pronunciation a bit?

It's because Ubisoft didn't care that much about keeping things consistent. Don't give them credit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sardonik posted:

So Far Cry 4 is a very great game to be sure, and inarguably better than Far Cry 3 in its more nuanced storytelling and mostly improved gameplay, but it ends its story about 1-3 chapters too soon.

To be specific, the final three campaign missions of the game should have been you seizing control of The Golden Path by taking out the obviously corrupt leader still alive, and becoming capital K King of Kyrat. That they left that plot thread dangling seemed like such a drat shame. I will say they handled Pagan Min very well, especially in the ending though. A much more satisfying ending than 3, and many other games.

On this one if you spare Pagan Min he'll officially declare you King, or at least as officially as he can given the circumstances, and if you wander around in post game you can find the surviving Golden Path leader and kill them after a short cutscene. Sabal is hanging around the temple though I'm not sure where Amita is.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

On this one if you spare Pagan Min he'll officially declare you King, or at least as officially as he can given the circumstances, and if you wander around in post game you can find the surviving Golden Path leader and kill them after a short cutscene. Sabal is hanging around the temple though I'm not sure where Amita is.

Right, I got all that ending, but I would have liked a more drawn out sequence. killing them after the cutscene feels more like an easter egg than anything, when you kill the leaders, it gives you the same karma penalty for killing an 'innocent' civilian :v:. I would have liked having to storm a secret golden path base or something to take out the leader in a dramatic fashion. Then after that, making some kind of grand speech over the PA system, and having the golden path explicitly be following you from that point. After that, who knows, a fancy coronation complete with last ditch assassination attempt from Willis or something.

Don't get me wrong, the ending and ending secrets of Far Cry 4 were excellent, but it was tantalizingly close to being perfect.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ooooh, right, I get you now. I thought the complaint is that there wasn't any closure, not that it wasn't dramatic enough. :downs:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's actually different in Far Cry 4? I thought 3 was okay but I haven't really seen anything from 4 that's convinced me it's not just going to be the same game all over again.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Austrian mook posted:

What's actually different in Far Cry 4? I thought 3 was okay but I haven't really seen anything from 4 that's convinced me it's not just going to be the same game all over again.

The story is less stupid, for one. It feels more like you have a good reason for being a psychopathic murderer, as opposed to rich white kid in the wrong area who got some native pussy and went loving crazy. Pagan Min is a loving charismatic bad guy, as well. I haven't even unlocked Northern Kyrat and I don't actually want to kill him, based on our interactions.

Rhinos can eat a dick, though. God drat armored murder-beasts.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Kruller posted:

The story is less stupid, for one. It feels more like you have a good reason for being a psychopathic murderer, as opposed to rich white kid in the wrong area who got some native pussy and went loving crazy. Pagan Min is a loving charismatic bad guy, as well. I haven't even unlocked Northern Kyrat and I don't actually want to kill him, based on our interactions.

Rhinos can eat a dick, though. God drat armored murder-beasts.

At least you can see Rhino's and avoid them.

Most of my deaths have involved badgers popping up out of nowhere and tearing me apart before I even know whats going on.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Austrian mook posted:

Gameplay is mostly the same or slightly improved. The story is a bit better but unskippable cutscenes and dumb characters still drag it down.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's really dumb when a character is talking and is supposed to be cut off or interrupted by another character but because of idiot audio design all they do is have the character stop at a word, videogame pause, and then the other character start talking.
Audio doesn't overlap, they don't have the other character trail off or make it seem like there was some kind of sentence they were finishing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

It's really dumb when a character is talking and is supposed to be cut off or interrupted by another character but because of idiot audio design all they do is have the character stop at a word, videogame pause, and then the other character start talking.
Audio doesn't overlap, they don't have the other character trail off or make it seem like there was some kind of sentence they were finishing.

Freedom Planet actually does a really good job about this and it actually sounds like characters are interrupting each other.

Shame about the story being borderline unwatchable and insanely long. I switched over to Arcade or Classic or whatever mode it is that cuts out the story after I beat two levels because I couldn't deal with it.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

JebanyPedal posted:

That's another Dragon Age Inquisition thing, the majority of the armor looks gently caress ugly because Bioware sucks balls at art design. I don't care if everything doesn't look "cool" but most of it just looks absurd and stupid. Like most of the helmets are massively oversized or tiny little caps that you'd see some peasant wearing in Braveheart or something.

I'm playing through Dragon age 2 to transfer over to Inquisition. The weapons and armor look awful. I feel like they were trying to emulate Jrpgs. Another thing about the game is you literally play the same 5 dungeons over and over. Dragon age origins never recycled a dungeon and Dragon age 2 is set in one city! They could have fleshed out the city and really had you explore. It takes 30 minutes tops to explore the entire city and out lying regions. There is no shortage of side quests in the first acts but they have you running around the same handful of tiny maps and dungeons. They really sucked the life out of the game and am glad I waited til now to play it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you got far enough in Spirit Tracks to get to the flute, you got farther than I did. I quit when the first thing the game has you do is a combination stealth/escort mission with insta-fail if you're seen.

Spirit Tracks came out in 2009.

Is that the water bit?
I really got into Spirit Tracks, I think got pretty far into it, until I came to some dungeon location where you have to time it pixel perfect or insta dead.
Mind is a bit hazy, but its a stretch of water where you have to blow yourself across, while avoiding multiple arrows that shoot over. Hit once, knocked into the water, and start from the start again.
Drove me mad that one, quit the game forever after that bullshit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really wanted to like Spirit Tracks, because everything about the concept and presentation was cute and cool. But the combination of a really lovely and tiresome overworld, with a not-very-well executed stylus control system, and that dumb loving flute to top it all off, made me set it down. The tipping point was when I got boxed into a corner on the overworld by bad trains and was instantly killed (Zelda games do not have instant kills for a variety of very good reasons). I had heard that it wasn't a great game but I really did give it a fair shake; it was just really frustrating and unpleasant to play.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Zelda game (even though there's no info out for it) because 1) A Link Between Worlds was GOTY 2013 and 2) every other Nintendo flagship on the Wii U has been outstandingly good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zig-Zag posted:

I'm playing through Dragon age 2 to transfer over to Inquisition. The weapons and armor look awful. I feel like they were trying to emulate Jrpgs. Another thing about the game is you literally play the same 5 dungeons over and over. Dragon age origins never recycled a dungeon and Dragon age 2 is set in one city! They could have fleshed out the city and really had you explore. It takes 30 minutes tops to explore the entire city and out lying regions. There is no shortage of side quests in the first acts but they have you running around the same handful of tiny maps and dungeons. They really sucked the life out of the game and am glad I waited til now to play it.

Just to be sure you're aware there is no save importing for Dragon Age Inquisition. You go to the vault website, click your choices then upload that set of decisions to be downloaded when you start a new game. I'd hate for you to slog through DA2 just to find that out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Barudak posted:

Just to be sure you're aware there is no save importing for Dragon Age Inquisition. You go to the vault website, click your choices then upload that set of decisions to be downloaded when you start a new game. I'd hate for you to slog through DA2 just to find that out.

Here's the link just to be sure. Finish DA2 if you like or feel you must, but if you're not having fun, just stop.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I actually liked Spirit Tracks

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Austrian mook posted:

I actually liked Spirit Tracks

The one really good thing Spirit Tracks has going for it is Toon Link, because everything about Toon Link is cool and great. There's a cutscene early in the game where ghost Zelda browbeats Link into bringing her along with him starting whatever the fuckin main quest is and it's funny and good. I just like how emotive his doofy big eyes are.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RyokoTK posted:

The one really good thing Spirit Tracks has going for it is Toon Link, because everything about Toon Link is cool and great. There's a cutscene early in the game where ghost Zelda browbeats Link into bringing her along with him starting whatever the fuckin main quest is and it's funny and good. I just like how emotive his doofy big eyes are.

Trains are cool

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Trains are pretty cool.

Demon trains are less cool, though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RyokoTK posted:

Trains are pretty cool.

Demon trains are less cool, though.

Yeah having 1 hit kill enemies moving around the world map was a little annoying but I think I got hit by them maybe twice total, both at the very beginning of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just finished Spirit Tracks last night, so good timing on this discussion. It's the first Zelda where I didn't do every side quest. The overworld was a slog to get through and the combat controls are terrible. And most side quests involve plenty of one or the other. I did do the side quest to get my ballin engineer suit though.

Most boss fights seemed to take the bad controls into account, but the last boss fight was incredibly frustrating due to wonky stylus input.