Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I blame Florida State for never losing and being a very lucky 9-3 team.

poo poo if the games they won by a touchdown or less went the other way they are 5-7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

^^ It's true. They really were a fairly mediocre team this year.

Frackie Robinson posted:

If they expand to 8 teams there needs to be an autobid for a group of five champ.

That's probably okay. The Big East has been eliminated anyway, so that frees up an extra at-large spot.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan State would have beaten Ohio State by 40, maybe 50 points if they played again

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kent State would be a toss up though, maybe if we all pretend really hard like we're playing against Akron but that sounds pretty difficult to maintain for a whole week and a game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm not really comfortable with unpaid college players playing a 16 game season though, 15 is crazy enough seeing as the champ game happened during classes. If they want to go to 8 then they should removed a regular season game (would never happen, bad teams would hate losing revenue) or at least change up the schedule.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
6 conference champs and 2 at large would be just about perfect, unfortunately I think we're doomed to have them eventually over expand to 12 or 16 and ruin the regular seaon.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Komet posted:

^^ It's true. They really were a fairly mediocre team this year.

That's probably okay. The Big East has been eliminated anyway, so that frees up an extra at-large spot.

We really weren't mediocre. We were pretty great, but not elite. I wish Pruitt could've kept it in his pants, gently caress.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I'm not really comfortable with unpaid college players playing a 16 game season though, 15 is crazy enough seeing as the champ game happened during classes. If they want to go to 8 then they should removed a regular season game (would never happen, bad teams would hate losing revenue) or at least change up the schedule.

or pay players

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eltoasto posted:

The first playoff round could happen in December, perhaps.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

6 conference champs and 2 at large would be just about perfect, unfortunately I think we're doomed to have them eventually over expand to 12 or 16 and ruin the regular seaon.

What's the sixth conference? Or do you just mean highest rated non P5 champ? Or to be less restricted, just the sixth highest rated conference champs.which would produce the same result 99 times out of 100.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

or pay players

But then college football would be ruined :qq:

Can't have paid athletes ruining the amateur sanctity of the National Championship Game presented by AT&T for the National Championship Trophy presented by Dr. Pepper.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Detroit_Dogg posted:

or pay players

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

There's hundreds of thousands of students working on campuses at this very moment, all of which are being paid for the work they do, and all of which are bringing in much less value to their schools than football players at major programs are. If your work is making money for others you should be paid.

You don't even have to pay a whole lot, pretty much every 18-21 year old would be happy with a full ride, a meal plan, a room, and like $25k extra.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Thoguh posted:

What's the sixth conference? Or do you just mean highest rated non P5 champ? Or to be less restricted, just the sixth highest rated conference champs.which would produce the same result 99 times out of 100.

The 6th would be the Notre Dame Conference obviously.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

or pay players

I am down with this. As someone involved with a smaller school though, would you be able to pay athletes the same as OSU? Would you consider it unfair if OSU paid them more?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A sane answer would be everyone in the conference contributes to a fund which is then evenly divided and there's a per player cap set at the NCAA level

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

I am down with this. As someone involved with a smaller school though, would you be able to pay athletes the same as OSU? Would you consider it unfair if OSU paid them more?
This is one of the biggest problems facing the NCAA. A lot of the Big Five schools want to pay players. They've proposed as much at NCAA meetings. They always get shot down by the smaller schools that can't afford it and outnumber them. The longer this goes on, the more the NCAA risks the Big Five just leaving one day to make their own governing institution, with blackjack, and hookers. In fact, forget the governing institution.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The VT that wrecked OSU isn't the VT that :laffo:'d their way to a Wake Forest loss. VT was one of the most hobbled, injury depleted teams in the country by the end of the season and if kids weren't out with injuries they played with them all year(All-American CB Kendall Fuller). A healthier squad that doesn't feature 3 medical redshirt starters and another 6-7 lost from the 2-deep and doesn't feature being down to your 4th string RB for about the last half of the season probably turns in a 9-10 win season and then OSU's loss isn't that bad.

VT also turned in wins over a then top 25 Duke and a 9 win Cinci team, it's not like the season went OSU win, lose 10 times to the 10 worst teams in football. lovely losses happened but it was easily the most hobbled VT team in the past 25+ years and it cost them some games because of it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

It would have to be a nominal amount that everybody in a P5 conference could afford.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Well we totally don't have money for it. But we have money for an unused esplanade. Also for a new poetry center that is also largely unused. Anyway yeah we can't give students who permanently injure their brains a few bucks, just don't have it in us.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kent is too busy trying to be Berkley except they're awful at it and also ruining the environment with the squirrel eugenics program

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sash! posted:

Kent is too busy trying to be Berkley except they're awful at it and also ruining the environment with the squirrel eugenics program

Kent gave the world the true lord though.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Does Berkley even have a fashion school?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Speaking of VT, the Penn State - VT matchup has been moved up to 2020. Penn State will play at VT in 2020, but VT won't come to Happy Valley until 2025, for some reason. A Big Ten schedule has also been leaked, and it appears that LSU will play at Penn State in 2020, and PSU will also travel up to Syracuse for a game. Seems like an exciting set of OOC games for a single year. Maybe not Syracuse, but LSU and VT in the same year?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

Either of those would be fine, though I'd lean toward the latter for the hilarity of the 1 time in 100 when Boise State and Marshall both get in over the ACC champ or something.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

The VT that wrecked OSU isn't the VT that :laffo:'d their way to a Wake Forest loss. VT was one of the most hobbled, injury depleted teams in the country by the end of the season and if kids weren't out with injuries they played with them all year(All-American CB Kendall Fuller). A healthier squad that doesn't feature 3 medical redshirt starters and another 6-7 lost from the 2-deep and doesn't feature being down to your 4th string RB for about the last half of the season probably turns in a 9-10 win season and then OSU's loss isn't that bad.

VT also turned in wins over a then top 25 Duke and a 9 win Cinci team, it's not like the season went OSU win, lose 10 times to the 10 worst teams in football. lovely losses happened but it was easily the most hobbled VT team in the past 25+ years and it cost them some games because of it.

It's great to see you defending us again.

I'd also agree that minus injuries this team is better than 7-6, all but 1 of the losses came within a single possession. If the team can finish even half those games without a turnover or crippling big play its a 9-3 season.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What's silly is that any previous year where a team beat #1 and #2 to end the season they'd be the least controversial national champion ever, but because a "lovely big 10 team" did it now people are crying that it doesn't count because they didn't also beat #6.
I don't think anyone's saying it doesn't count, but that TCU was a legitimate great team and probably belonged in virtue of being as good as any team in the playoff.

Also what is college football without wild hypotheticals. We've entered the long dark of the offseason, it's bound to happen.

EDIT: 4 team playoff is great, keep it that way for a while. As much of a crime against humanity OSU winning is, it's still the #4 seed and that's hilarious.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
TCU can join the club with other deserving one loss teams that were shut out in favor of another one loss team. That's happened to pretty much every decent P5 team other than Alabama.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
A local news station interviewed the "Tigers Bitch" girl.

http://www.wbrz.com/videos/lsu-fan-video-goes-viral/

"Football I'm turnin' up. I got an A on an exam, I'm turnin' up. Class is cancelled, I'm turnin' up."

She still owns.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

JT Jag posted:

This is one of the biggest problems facing the NCAA. A lot of the Big Five schools want to pay players. They've proposed as much at NCAA meetings. They always get shot down by the smaller schools that can't afford it and outnumber them. The longer this goes on, the more the NCAA risks the Big Five just leaving one day to make their own governing institution, with blackjack, and hookers. In fact, forget the governing institution.

Skim the money from TV contracts. Each school in NCAA FBS football gets $x - you can spend up to this same amount on raw player salaries, and anything you don't spend can go into your general fund.

Couple this with a more aggressive policy on washing lovely teams out of FBS football and bumping good programs up.

If you really wanna get detail oriented you can mandate a minimum salary equivalent to minimum wage for the expected hours of game time and official team practices for every active roster player.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Re watching the game from last night. Jesus, the Oregon defensive coordinator is gonna be having nightmares about those Ohio State counters in the second half. They were good for at least 8 or 10 yards a carry.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Skim the money from TV contracts. Each school in NCAA FBS football gets $x - you can spend up to this same amount on raw player salaries, and anything you don't spend can go into your general fund.

Couple this with a more aggressive policy on washing lovely teams out of FBS football and bumping good programs up.
FCS powers probably aren't all that interested in moving up. They're all in the far north where they are the recruiting powerhouses and are the biggest show in town. There are some real good reasons to stay at the FCS level even if you're a serious power. Teams aren't moving up unless they really want to, and the top of the FCS hasn't really shown it's wanted to (leaving aside the few programs that moved up recently, but they're in very different situations from the Montanas, the NDSUs, the Villanovas, and the New Hampshires of the world).

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 13, 2015

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
8 team is perfect and there still won't be as many valid complaints because you can just win your conference to be in - even 6 team would work but I hate the bye week. each p5 champ, highest g5 champ, 2 at large. you win you're in, its simple, with wiggle room for TCU/MSUs of the world (not the lovely sec version of msu or whatever, i meant Michigan State an actual good team which only lost to Oregon and Ohio State and Baylor in my alternate universe when we had fair refs and no divine intervention and they listened to me when i told them to watch for the onside kick cause they're down 20 why the gently caress wouldn't they do an onside kick, at the very least be somewhat expecting it not running backwards for a return gently caress the coaches, gently caress the players, Baylor BEars BAsketball Bitch)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Does TV money actually go to the schools general fund in any way or just back to the athletic association? I would guess the latter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

gently caress the mid-majors, no auto-bid for them, three at larges.

(eh I'd be ok with it I guess)

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I don't know how you can see the ratings for the playoff games this year and not think ESPN will do everything in their power to get to 8 as soon as they possibly can. Is there any legal or contractual things keeping it from happening next year? It's basically a license to print a completely-guaranteed ungodly amount of money and from what I've seen that is something they really like.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

FCS powers probably aren't all that interested in moving up. They're all in the far north where they are the recruiting powerhouses and are the biggest show in town. There are some real good reasons to stay at the FCS level even if you're a serious power. Teams aren't moving up unless they really want to, and the top of the FCS hasn't really shown it's wanted to (leaving aside the few programs that moved up recently, but they're in very different situations from the Montanas, the NDSUs, the Villanovas, and the New Hampshires of the world).

Which might change if they got to keep whatever part of their TV contract money they didn't spend on players. I'm not suggesting everyone will want to bump up, but getting the same chunk of money as Alabama or OSU would probably entice some schools.

You could also just bump half the lovely FBS conferences into FCS and make schools thunderdome their way back in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

64-team January madness is the only solution.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Which might change if they got to keep whatever part of their TV contract money they didn't spend on players. I'm not suggesting everyone will want to bump up, but getting the same chunk of money as Alabama or OSU would probably entice some schools.

You could also just bump half the lovely FBS conferences into FCS and make schools thunderdome their way back in.
Wait, why do you want the mid-majors out of the FBS?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Wait, why do you want the mid-majors out of the FBS?
The Big 5 would be able to make their own rules, rules like paying players, a lot easier if they had an entire subdivision to themselves. Mid-majors should move to an entirely separate subdivision, linked to the Big 5 only in postseason bowl game tie-ins, and then the FCS, and then Division III.

We could even start calling them Divisions 1-A and 1-AA again

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 13, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JT Jag posted:

We could even start calling them Divisions 1-A and 1-AA again

Calling only one of them FCS doesn't make much sense these days, but on the other hand this is a sport with a 14 team Big Ten and a 10 team Big 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What would the FBS allowing schools to pay players mean for other NCAA sports? Wouldn't basketball and baseball programs be pissed? Would it matter that they don't like it? Or hell, what about Title IX? Seems like if they started paying football players, wouldn't they have to also pay players in some womens' sports as well?

• Locked thread