Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As a Millennial I posted:

it's an alright interface http://www.cookiecaster.com/

really what's not to like about a custom cookie cutter

I'm sure louis vuitton's legal department would love to know about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Google/Shapeways refused to print my "YOSPOS BITCH" bracelet (even though I got it past the built in word blocks)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I did "bithc" on the trophy I got made I think

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

i'm sure you could bribe them with some ghastly misshapen louis vuitton cookies

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

well the cookie caster is just a website that lets you draw a thing and gives you the 3d printer file for it

then you take it to shapeways, where they will print whatever file you send them

so is it technically illegal?? idfk

they could easily dmca that logo from the gallery but that's probably about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you report it to lv though they are obligated to act or risk losing the trademark in the usa

so, you know, if you wanna kill another startup in its tracks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah but it's user content that they're hosting. they'll send a dmca notice and it'll get yanked, that's it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I would make the cookie cutter by hand from a strip of steel and rolling/whatever

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Which even in 2014 seems it'd be more useful to understand than drawing a shape in illustrator and sending it to the 3d plastic thing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

some people just want a cookie cutter.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my new Posting Persona is "guy who defends the 3d printed cookie cutter."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Which even in 2014 seems it'd be more useful to understand than drawing a shape in illustrator and sending it to the 3d plastic thing

it's true -- in the coming apocalypse this skillset will allow you to make knives out of old truck leaf-springs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will happily die in the apocalypse, I have basically no pre-industrial skills

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

leaf spring crossbow, hmm

e: apparently this is a "nope, good luck"

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 13, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah they aren't really "springs" unless you put as much weight as a truck on them.

What they are is a great source of really tough high-carbon steel about the size of a bowie knife.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jonny 290 posted:

those prices should be reversed. pay double if you're some college fucko coming in to use somebody else's gear when your daddys already paying 100k for your school labs. its the motherfuckers that can't go to college that need these things

Stop College Student Privilege

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think jonny is a little bit mistaken about how much access students have to university shops anyway

many engineering departments these days act as a full-service-bureau sort of thing, where the student works with the shop tech to figure out what they need to build and then the tech makes it for them. safer, cheaper and lower effort than trying to get the students to use the machines, and even though the student doesn't learn how to run a mill, well they are supposed to be "above" that in their job anyway so

we do allow our students to run the machines, but we would be in a world of poo poo if someone was working on something that was not an official course-related project (eg. "can i just mill out this bracket for my moped, it'll only take like half an hour") and they got hurt, so we have to keep an eye on what people are actually doing

and if you're not a major in our department, forget it. we get idiots from other depts coming in with like "uhh yeah i just wanna cut these rocks on your table saw, i heard you had a table saw in here" :wtc:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
auto cookie cutter fabrication would be much more awesome if it bent and crimped a feed of metal like that machine that bends wires someone posted somewhere

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

if you report it to lv though they are obligated to act or risk losing the trademark in the usa

so, you know, if you wanna kill another startup in its tracks

i wonder how much effort this costs places like lv, like can you make a script to (a) automatically upload infringing designs somewhere and (b) report them to lv

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

I'm sure whoever did it got a Creative Commons license

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I would make the cookie cutter by hand from a strip of steel and rolling/whatever

I don't think I've read about that in "make" are you sure it's really a thing?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

yeah that's the proper way to do it.

who uses plastic cookie cutters anyway?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

i wonder how much effort this costs places like lv, like can you make a script to (a) automatically upload infringing designs somewhere and (b) report them to lv

there's a de facto standard protocol for automated dmca requests/responses by content owners

why not trademarks too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ahmeni posted:

auto cookie cutter fabrication would be much more awesome if it bent and crimped a feed of metal like that machine that bends wires someone posted somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhGHALB4_hQ&t=13s

rotor fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 14, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god i could literally poo poo out antennas by the hundred with that

amazing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

what

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

what if poop was made of steel?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ur posts would be heavy! :xd:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2d6hMTFP9w&t=68s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

ur posts would be heavy! :xd:

:supaburn:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

here u go jonny only $3500

http://www.pensalabs.com/#home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve1zzDXlJoA

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bender is that u??

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah they aren't really "springs" unless you put as much weight as a truck on them.

so what you're saying is we'll need a hell of a windlass for our ballista

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

weird you didnt link this obviously better vid instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZUTOnbGEU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

this is going to revolutionize the sounding toy industry

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Phoning It In posted:

weird you didnt link this obviously better vid instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZUTOnbGEU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

My estimate of 4 months before going broke assumed donation renenue staying the same per month - noisebridge had 2.75 months of reserve cash, including monthly donations that would come in during the next 3 months stretched that to 4 mos before there was nothing left even borrowing from the next month's donations.

I can barely balance a checkbook so I was surprised to see I'm not far wrong...

quote:

Your favourite anarchist hackerspace in the heart of the Mission needs your help! Noisebridge's cash reserves dipped below the 3 month mark at the end of December. This means that we have about ~2ish months left of runway in the bank. AS IT STANDS NOISEBRIDGE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO GET THROUGH MARCH!

THE STATE OF NOISEBRIDGE FINANCES

Noisebridge has monthly outgoings in the order of $4,800. That's rent, PGE, water, trash, Monkeybrains and Sonic and other miscellaneous things.

Our recurring PayPal income is approximately $1,800/month, with less reliable sporadic checks from employer donation matching.

We need a mix of
a) lump sum cash donations to extend runway near-term
b) increased recurring donations to keep us afloat {medium,long}-term

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
c) a viable business model

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

c) a viable business model

um: "be excellent to each other" should suffice tyvm

but maybe they could consider adding "stop being so cracky that it scares away everyone with a job"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
maybe when they shut down the company that buys all of their things will re-open it but instead of noisebridge it will be nosebridge and it will just be a place for you to buy your anatomically correct models of noses and such

• Locked thread