Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Quarex posted:

NOW 198 OMG sort of related, anyone whose friends DO bail on them and is worried about finding a room should obviously just crash with someone else in the thread whose friends also bail. And if anyone ends up dead the suspect list will be very easy to trace.

I should put your link in the second post since it is sort of like a Goon Event after all. I listened to this last year and I AM LISTENING TO IT AGAIN TODAY

I can barely believe I am about to acknowledge this but I did a few guest stints on some friends' INTERNET AUDIO BROADCAST a few years back, and one of the times they wanted me to come in was when they were doing a Gen-Con special. My favorite moment of the entire thing starts at 38:50 when the guy who has never gone to Gen-Con asks about vices ... and ... oh god. The resolution still makes me happy. But overall this is a nice companion piece to your show, 8one6, because you are the coherent and reasonable counterpoint on the same subject.

I'll be listening to this tomorrow.

We're also putting on our annual starting a podcast seminar: SEM1567950 Starting a Podcast & Sticking with it! Fri @ 2:00 PM (Unless they change it when they approve it.)

Edit: poo poo, top of page 2. Might as well post what I have so far.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

I'll be listening to this tomorrow.

We're also putting on our annual starting a podcast seminar: SEM1567950 Starting a Podcast & Sticking with it! Fri @ 2:00 PM (Unless they change it when they approve it.)
I am intrigued by this seminar. Particularly as it is an annual thing so clearly you have regulars who come with fan signs and have pre-scripted responses to dialogue ala Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Also as for the show I linked, I get asked about THE AUCTION at just after 17:00, and anyone who does not think the Auction sounds that exciting should listen to me explaining how it was years of me making fun of it casually before I actually gave it a chance and was like THIS IS SO AMAZING

(oh and I did not remember one of the normal hosts explaining the evolution of attractive women attending Gen-Con to start the show; you are free to skip a few minutes there)

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Hey all, it's been a few years since I attended one of these, how bad is registration these days compared to say, PAX? If I don't mind getting a hotel that's not right in walking distance, is it as big a deal if I don't buy a badge right on opening day?

And speaking of, the dates on the website don't make any sense; it says badge sales start 1/26 at Noon EST, but housing opens at noon on 1/25? Is that for the VIG people to get in early?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedi425 posted:

Hey all, it's been a few years since I attended one of these, how bad is registration these days compared to say, PAX? If I don't mind getting a hotel that's not right in walking distance, is it as big a deal if I don't buy a badge right on opening day?

And speaking of, the dates on the website don't make any sense; it says badge sales start 1/26 at Noon EST, but housing opens at noon on 1/25? Is that for the VIG people to get in early?

I see it saying badge registration is 1/23 in two different spots on the gencon.com website front page.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Badges cannot sell out for our Supreme Gaming Convention unlike how they can sell out for Scrub-Tier conventions :smug: (hence the concerns about how the growth could potentially become too much for Indianapolis).

Actually I have totally tried and failed to get PAX tickets three times, more power to anyone who succeeds, haha.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Len posted:

I see it saying badge registration is 1/23 in two different spots on the gencon.com website front page.

Says 1/26 here: http://gencon.com/attend/your_badge

But yeah, I see 1/23 on the very front page. I don't even know. Help us, GenCon.

The PAX thing is the reason I'm thinking about going back to GenCon; the last few times I've been able to attend PAX, I couldn't get a ticket without the use of magic, or a Pegasus Device, or something. GenCon always seemed to be a more chilled out affair.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedi425 posted:

Says 1/26 here: http://gencon.com/attend/your_badge

But yeah, I see 1/23 on the very front page. I don't even know. Help us, GenCon.

The PAX thing is the reason I'm thinking about going back to GenCon; the last few times I've been able to attend PAX, I couldn't get a ticket without the use of magic, or a Pegasus Device, or something. GenCon always seemed to be a more chilled out affair.

You managed to find a page relating to 2014.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I forgot they used to not allow events to start after ... 10 was it? Midnight at the latest. That was dumb. Though I can understand how the older people running the convention would be like "why the hell would you want an event that starts at 2?" and meanwhile the young lunatics were like I DEMAND TO GAME LITERALLY UNTIL I PASS OUT AT THE TABLE

My first year attending (1997) I think we slept about 4 hours a night on average, and one of my friends not only passed out in the middle of a Villains & Vigilantes game, but passed out while holding his dice (in his hand above the table) and waiting for his turn in combat. That is dedication to the craft. And I know he is reading this and will probably chime in to apologize ala Ronnie from Whomp for ruining our game 18 years ago.

It is almost time for my yearly efforts reading the official forums and reporting back on the most mind-blowingly terrifying or depressing comments! I am not sure much is going to beat the one-two punch of the guy who posted constant schizophrenic word salad about Gen-Con oppressing him ... or the woman who was very upset that she had to walk farther than the lobby of her hotel to board the shuttle :(

Also is it narcissism if listening to myself talk about Gen-Con from 2009 gets me hyped up for Gen-Con 2015?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
GenCon :woop:

I'm so excited to see how much of a massive fuckup the "automated" hotel placement stuff is! Not the initial one on Sunday, the one that comes after it. I say this only because I'm sure I won't get a good room Sunday, and the backup list was good to me in the past.

Also my wife's niece and her boyfriend are coming out so we got to do this up RIGHT this year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Quarex posted:

Also is it narcissism if listening to myself talk about Gen-Con from 2009 gets me hyped up for Gen-Con 2015?

No, you should totally do this every morning to gain maximum excitement. Actually, if anyone has any great podcasts, videos, blogs or articles on Gen Con's past they should totally post them in here so we can all get pumped up via nostalgia.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Yaay new thread!

:getin:

I will be attending this year once again and look forward to playing random games with random goons, because that was one of the most fun things I did last year. Barring massive upset I'll also be playing in the Netrunner nationals and around for pickup netrunnin' as available.

Gencon noobs: if Backno invites you to breakfast, SAY YES. That man knows his breakfast joints.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

nesbit37 posted:

No, you should totally do this every morning to gain maximum excitement. Actually, if anyone has any great podcasts, videos, blogs or articles on Gen Con's past they should totally post them in here so we can all get pumped up via nostalgia.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/tag/gencon/

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/gencon/

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Quarex posted:

My first year attending (1997) I think we slept about 4 hours a night on average, and one of my friends not only passed out in the middle of a Villains & Vigilantes game, but passed out while holding his dice (in his hand above the table) and waiting for his turn in combat. That is dedication to the craft. And I know he is reading this and will probably chime in to apologize ala Ronnie from Whomp for ruining our game 18 years ago.

YOU SON OF A BITCH I FELL ASLEEP AT THAT TABLE IN CONFIDENCE

Gen-Con is awesome and the auction is awesome and everyone should go.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-2014 Gen Con 2014

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-1 Gen Con 2013

If you want '12, '11, or '10 let me know and I can upload them to soundcloud when I get home tonight.

8one6
May 20, 2012

From what I gather from Twitter exhibitors are being put into a lottery for the chance to spend a thousand dollars to exhibit at Gen Con this year.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
My fiancee and I are debating attending again this year, but August 8th is our wedding, so I think we may have to skip it :v:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
New housing process reads well. For those of you that didn't get the email, everyone with a badge is randomly given a time slot starting at noon to register for a hotel room. The only thing I a not fond of with the concept is it means you could be registering at noon or maybe 2 hours later depending how lucky you are so your Sunday could be kind of tied up to get a hotel room if you wanted to do something out of the house. Hopefully it works out ok, has to be better the how last year went.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

New housing process reads well. For those of you that didn't get the email, everyone with a badge is randomly given a time slot starting at noon to register for a hotel room. The only thing I a not fond of with the concept is it means you could be registering at noon or maybe 2 hours later depending how lucky you are so your Sunday could be kind of tied up to get a hotel room if you wanted to do something out of the house. Hopefully it works out ok, has to be better the how last year went.

They also announced a price increase to $80 for pre-reg. My reading makes it sound like it's going to go up every year but I probably read something wrong.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

... Hopefully it works out ok, has to be better then how last year went. every single year Gen Con has been in Indy.

I think the number one benefit of being a VIG is not having to be a part of the Gen Con's scheduled DDOS of the housing system.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Suites are available now at the Hilton if anyone wants to skip the inevitable gangfuck.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, that sounds better than I thought it would. Knock on wood, I guess.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Weirdo posted:

My fiancee and I are debating attending again this year, but August 8th is our wedding, so I think we may have to skip it :v:

Just get married at Gen Con. Wedding and honeymoon at the same time. Don't even need to get a new hotel room.

saint gerald posted:

Yaay new thread!

:getin:

I will be attending this year once again and look forward to playing random games with random goons, because that was one of the most fun things I did last year. Barring massive upset I'll also be playing in the Netrunner nationals and around for pickup netrunnin' as available.

Gencon noobs: if Backno invites you to breakfast, SAY YES. That man knows his breakfast joints.

Well it sure is nice to be appreciated :dance:. This will be my 7th Gen Con to celebrate my 7th wedding anniversary (we go every year), I am an Indy local so if you have questions about anything don't hesitate to ask.

Backno fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gencon challenge: find and attend a ticketed Maid event. See if you can make it through the whole thing without anyone being creepy.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Len posted:

They also announced a price increase to $80 for pre-reg. My reading makes it sound like it's going to go up every year but I probably read something wrong.

That's how I read it as well, a $10 increase each year? Though their use of year-over-year doesn't exactly make sense.

I might check the Hilton suites, though I am guessing they are going to be too much. If I was going in a big group I am fine with splitting the room but right now its just me and hopefully my girlfriend (she wants to go this year but is a little intimidated having never been to a con of any size). Dropping a grand plus just to sleep for 4 days and keep stuff some where it shouldn't be stolen really sucks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

That's how I read it as well, a $10 increase each year? Though their use of year-over-year doesn't exactly make sense.

I might check the Hilton suites, though I am guessing they are going to be too much. If I was going in a big group I am fine with splitting the room but right now its just me and hopefully my girlfriend (she wants to go this year but is a little intimidated having never been to a con of any size). Dropping a grand plus just to sleep for 4 days and keep stuff some where it shouldn't be stolen really sucks.

Reading it that way makes me feel like I'll stop going to Gencon in the next couple years. I love going and all but I don't see me wanting to pay over $100 for a badge. Maybe it's just because the only cons I've gone to are Gencon and Origins but even $100 feels really steep.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

More like two. I got one for five nights and it ran $2,400. Fortunately we have a big group and it's not much different than getting two regular rooms.

Are we pub crawling again this year? I wept bitter tears of beer envy when last year's shenanigans clashed with my True Dungeon slots.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What is True Dungeon like? Every year it immediately sells out but we don't know enough about it to attempt getting tickets. It's some sort of larp that you can level up in and stuff? We're under the assumption that you can spend the $40 or whatever and fail meaning you wasted money. Is that the case?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Len posted:

What is True Dungeon like? Every year it immediately sells out but we don't know enough about it to attempt getting tickets. It's some sort of larp that you can level up in and stuff? We're under the assumption that you can spend the $40 or whatever and fail meaning you wasted money. Is that the case?

I've been for the last couple of years, and we normally run twice. It's a set of puzzles (dexterity, memory, lateral thinking) plus a combat system that is based on shuffleboard, all with constructed sets, costumed NPCs, and massive, cool automata. Every so often a guy dressed as a werewolf will sneak up behind you in the dark and make you poo poo your pants, or you'll pick up some semi-hidden prop and have to talk like a duck for the next ten minutes. You don't level up as such, but you do win tokens with equipment, consumables, spells etc. that you can bring back year after year. No matter how badly you do you'll get some of these, but they are only really a big deal if you're in it for the long run. (Ignoring the outside chance that you'll luck into a rare item that some neckbeard will pay you a grand for, which has happened.)

Is it worth it? Not in isolation, IMO. It is what you make it. I do it year after year because we take a full group of friends, we have several people who have been doing it for a decade or more and have enough tokens to kit out everyone, and we don't take it too seriously. It's generated lots of good stories that we still tell and laugh about. I think of it as part of the Gen Con experience.

If that's enough to pique your curiosity, I think you'll have a good time. But I go year after year for reasons that are not really connected with the quality or value of the experience itself, and I think that if I were relying on pick-up groups the quality and value of the experience would decline significantly.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Len posted:

Yeah, it's a LARP with crazy high production values. It's been a number of years since I attended, but I'm pretty sure the difficulty is stacked so that you shouldn't be dying in the first room. Not that people probably haven't found ways, mind. IIRC, if you take to long to complete a room (say, you can't solve the puzzle), you take some damage and move on.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

It combines all of the terrible aspects of LARPing with all of the terrible aspects of Magic: The Gathering. If you like any of those things you'll have a decent time. If you happen to like both you'll end up spending $500 on poker chips with little stickers of d20 magic items on them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm glad to have tried True Dungeon this last year, once, and can say I've done it. It was just myself and a friend lumped in with a bunch of TD-obsessives who had ran through the year's adventure's a dozen times or some poo poo, so we succeeded at everything pretty well and had a good time overall. If I were to spend the money on it again I think it would be only if I could get six or seven close friends to all participate instead of a group of randoms, but again definitely glad to have done it, and I'd recommend it if it sounds at all interesting to you.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've done True Dungeon a couple of times with mixed experiences. Its definitely all about the people you run with. If it wasn't so expensive I'd probably do it once a con just because, but as it is I think I would need to run with a group of friends or something to justify it going forward.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainRat posted:

YOU SON OF A BITCH I FELL ASLEEP AT THAT TABLE IN CONFIDENCE
ahahahah YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE LITERALLY

CaptainRat posted:

Gen-Con is awesome and the auction is awesome and everyone should go.
Same

nesbit37 posted:

Good call. I will just start collating them in a random post and then link to them from an earlier post, like an awful Choose Your Own Adventure. In fact, I will put them in one of my OLD POSTS to be even more confusing.

8one6, feel free to upload any episode you would want linked, obviously.

Here is a video that is basically "an excited newbie's quick tour of Gen-Con, that I found myself listening to at work, being surprised that the narrator is capable of keeping a stream-of-consciousness patter going the entire ~hour of the video. Apparently the creator "Rahdo" is a Thing given that he had fans coming up to him while recording the video. Richard Ham? Apparently a long-time video game developer, per his own discussion with someone near the end of the video. Oh, he was lead designer on Fable II and worked on BUBSY 3D! ULILLILLIA WOULD BE PROUD TO WATCH THIS VIDEO

And we might as well throw Wil Wheaton into the Gen-Con video mix here. I mean this is basically just a Fantasy Flight advertisement BUT it has several great action shots of the convention regardless.

And of course Backno already beat me to suggesting a Gen-Con wedding. Good for him.

Len posted:

Reading it that way makes me feel like I'll stop going to Gencon in the next couple years. I love going and all but I don't see me wanting to pay over $100 for a badge. Maybe it's just because the only cons I've gone to are Gencon and Origins but even $100 feels really steep.
Not that I own your wallet, Len, and I understand the mental leap from 2-digit to 3-digit pricing, but if you think to yourself "would I pay $10 more than last year to go to Gen-Con?" then I think it will always sound reasonable. At least until you end up physically unable to spend the amount needed.

Len posted:

To prove not ALL of my advice is "THROW MONEY AT IT; WHO CARES?," I am not sure that it is worth paying $40 for a potential chance to have fun for a couple of hours, considering the number of horror stories I have heard about getting with groups of assholes or people who have played several times and do not want to wait for you to actually engage with the game yourself. If you can somehow find 9 other people to go, you could probably have a blast buying out a whole block, though!

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 15, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Quarex, which auction section do they usually put old gen con programs and memorabilia? I know I have seen the old swag bags at TOVA before but wasn't sure about programs. Want to try and fill out some program gaps if I can this year I think.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Quarex posted:

To prove not ALL of my advice is "THROW MONEY AT IT; WHO CARES?," I am not sure that it is worth paying $40 for a potential chance to have fun for a couple of hours, considering the number of horror stories I have heard about getting with groups of assholes or people who have played several times and do not want to wait for you to actually engage with the game yourself. If you can somehow find 9 other people to go, you could probably have a blast buying out a whole block, though!

loving gamers ruin everything :mad: I played it the first couple years, and it was a ludicrously chill event where dudes had fun. My roommate even won a 'I backstabbed the party and all I got was this t-shirt' shirt, which was hilarious to us. But you can tell how long it's been since I hit a GenCon, since now apparently neckbeards spend thousands on token packs before the con is even open for pre-registration.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wonder how hosed housing will be this year.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Kaddish posted:

I wonder how hosed housing will be this year.

Will probably depend on when you get to buy your hotel. I personally have never had to deal with the Gen Con hotel bullshit. The one year we got a hotel room I found one in the housing block months after the housing block opened at the JW.

I will say the same thing I say every year, if you are wanting to grab food and booze that is close to the convention center while dodging the 2+ hour wait at the RAM or something go to Loughmiller's. The past few years more people have become aware of it, but it's nowhere near as busy as some of the other places. Even at 7:30 pm on Friday night I have walked in and gotten a table for 4 with no wait.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Len posted:

Gencon challenge: find and attend a ticketed Maid event. See if you can make it through the whole thing without anyone being creepy.

My Gencon Maid game only was 'slightly inappropriate' :smuggo:

:smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jadarx posted:

My Gencon Maid game only was 'slightly inappropriate' :smuggo:

:smith:

"Slightly inappropriate" is better than what it could be. But then again I'm soured to ticketed rpg events since the Atomic Robo near rape game I played in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Quarex, which auction section do they usually put old gen con programs and memorabilia? I know I have seen the old swag bags at TOVA before but wasn't sure about programs. Want to try and fill out some program gaps if I can this year I think.
That is indeed usually T.O.V.A., if not Collectibles/Crème de la Crème. There are usually a few up every year, though the most recent one I remember was a Gen-Con VII? advertisement poster that went to The Keeper, when he opened the bidding at $100 and that was that. Lots of miscellaneous programs/flyers/memorabilia from other conventions too, here and there, though.

Related: http://www.amazon.com/Poster-Gen-94-Varios/dp/B00FEK8378

Jedi425 posted:

loving gamers ruin everything :mad: I played it the first couple years, and it was a ludicrously chill event where dudes had fun. My roommate even won a 'I backstabbed the party and all I got was this t-shirt' shirt, which was hilarious to us. But you can tell how long it's been since I hit a GenCon, since now apparently neckbeards spend thousands on token packs before the con is even open for pre-registration.
Certainly it is possible to still have fun. One of the dudes I go with (the guy whose V.I.G. status I ride upon like an embarrassing steed) buys two or three True Dungeon tickets every year, and seems to always have one session go so badly that he is on the verge of never attending again and then another one go so well that he is like "well, O.K., maybe next year too." The crappiest of crap shoots.

Related to Nesbit37's question, I have sold True Dungeon tokens both years I have been a T.O.V.A. Auctioneer, and the set featuring all of a dude's tokens from 2008-2011 went for like $250 if I recall correctly. Even more insane than "random 1990s Magic card assortment!"

• Locked thread