Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MoraleHazard posted:

\For getting gud, is it smarter to stick with, say one Tier V or Tier VI tank, or perhaps play only one type of tank like mediums? I tended to jump from heavy to TD to light kind of as I felt like it, but playing a map in a TD or in a medium could be very different. Right now I'm doing just one class of tank in an evening so yesterday it was all mediums.

I "got good" at this game by playing the American heavies and Soviet tank destroyers.

The American heavies are quite forgiving, have good guns and pretty great speed. Being a heavy gives you some HP/Armor to make mistakes and not be brutally punished*. Playing these makes you realize how important any kind of support is. Rushing in alone to protect an empty front might be the "unicum" choice to make, but with our support you are probably going to get hosed by the fury of blistering retards with godly RNG. One last thing, heavies help to give you a good idea on how to angle your tank so your tracks take shots or to juke a shot from the pubbie horde.

The td's showed me the importance of map control and positioning. TD's that are on the red line jerking off do nothing for the team; yes you are getting damage but your team is hosed because you did not provide support. Your heavies and mediums did not push up far enough to deter an enemy rush? Get the gently caress out of there. Your heavies and mediums are in a decent spot? Find a bush at a safe distance and make the enemies feel the pain. If your gun is not constantly firing as a TD you are not doing your job.

Also, be very VERY mindful of the mini-map. Tunnel vision gets the best of us, try not to do it. Don't be afraid to rush when you see an opportunity. Map control wins games, and taking out the top-guns help to secure it. Easy kills are nice, but take out the threats when you have the chance.

*Depends on how bad you gently caress up. If you hosed up bad, you will be dead no matter what tank you are in.

Edit: Keep tanks you do good in. It helps to remind you why you play this game (or why you SHOULD be playing the game). It also helps to keep the game fun and deterring the feeling of it being too grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

subhelios posted:

Finally unlocked my first T10 tank! The only downside is it's a T110E4, So I doubt I'm going to buy it.
It only took me two years to get to this point. :smith:

noooooo, this was my mistake. people need to not do this. e3 or e5 are good but not e4 to start. :negative:

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 13, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for the advice on getting gud.

What's wrong with the T110E4?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MoraleHazard posted:

It was too good when it was first introduced, got nerfed, and now it's got too many weaknesses given the ever-growing power creep, whereas the E3 is an accomplished alley-blocker that a lot of people still don't know how to deal with.

When it was first introduced, SGLE made it a priority for people to get, which is why a fair number of goons in this thread are able to speak with some authority on why it's not very good right now.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
After reading 10+ pages of /r/tumblrinaction, I now refer to training room furries as the "weremacht" and feel that "stat-whores" are now "cis-winrate shitlord-kin haters."

It was a rabbit hole.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

The E4 seems nice and I want one. I've seen Sirfoch (streamer) play it like a squishy heavy with a ridiculous gun and it works like a charm. I have no idea about CW-usefulness though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvvwij7H8jU

Refried Noodle fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 14, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Refried Noodle posted:

The E4 seems nice and I want one. I've seen Sirfoch (streamer) play it like a squishy heavy with a ridiculous gun and it works like a charm. I have no idea about CW-usefulness though.

Its squishy-ness is a liability in CW - it used to be able to stand on its own in its heyday, but nowadays you generally have to have something support it, which locks up tanks you need to, you know, actually be able to flex and fight. If you want to bring a squishy heavy to CW, you just bring a 50B now - those can reposition incredibly well, which is a tradeoff for it being armored with aluminum foil.

Even so, you're not going to hear 'oh hey can someone bring an E3 on this really wide open map' all that much.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

rossmum posted:

If only the show had like, normal people in it instead of schoolgirls of a dubious age, I would watch the gently caress out of it. Like, it could even still be anime, just loving please stop with the creepy sexualisation of children for gently caress's sake Japan

There is a story that went around while it was airing, since it got a few delays mid season for unknown reasons apparently there was background bickering with the producers and the visual guys, The TLDR version was they where sneaking in more obverse fan service into the show, while the producers wanted none of that, and such when they did find some later on they got them to redo the entire scene with said fan service to remove it

Its probably shows its a mix of culture acceptance, and just pervy animation guys

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 14, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I made a stock T-70 like some kind of coin-flipper.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Refried Noodle posted:

If you're not interested in CW, then it should be comforting for you to know that CW viability is not the only measure of a tank, and the T110E4 is a pretty good pub stomper. Certainly much better than the E3 when you don't get to choose a narrow lane map like Himmelsdorf all the time.

The IS-7 is also quite a god pub stomper.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
that breech piece looks REALLY well done.

Also, gently caress you for introducing me to another SA thread. Like I had that free time to give up.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

If you're not interested in CW, then it should be comforting for you to know that CW viability is not the only measure of a tank, and the T110E4 is a pretty good pub stomper. Certainly much better than the E3 when you don't get to choose a narrow lane map like Himmelsdorf all the time.

The IS-7 is also quite a god pub stomper.

Just echoing this, the IS-7 is absolutely godly in pubs. Point your tank at someone, hide your lower front plate, and cackle like a maniac when nothing can pen you with silver outside of T10 TDs. Get hull down and even T10 TDs are going to have a bastard of a time penning your turret. Even in CW shooting gold, good luck penning a hull down IS-7 that's looking at you.

Hell, half the time you don't even have to cover your LFP or get hull down because pubbies are loving morons and will spray your turret with everything they've got.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

Just echoing this, the IS-7 is absolutely godly in pubs. Point your tank at someone, hide your lower front plate, and cackle like a maniac when nothing can pen you with silver outside of T10 TDs. Get hull down and even T10 TDs are going to have a bastard of a time penning your turret. Even in CW shooting gold, good luck penning a hull down IS-7 that's looking at you.

Hell, half the time you don't even have to cover your LFP or get hull down because pubbies are loving morons and will spray your turret with everything they've got.

I wish I ran into those people whenever I take my IS-7 out. I just don't like how sluggish it is accelerating and turning.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was too good when it was first introduced, got nerfed, and now it's got too many weaknesses given the ever-growing power creep, whereas the E3 is an accomplished alley-blocker that a lot of people still don't know how to deal with.
When it was first introduced, SGLE made it a priority for people to get, which is why a fair number of goons in this thread are able to speak with some authority on why it's not very good right now.

So the tank was originally OP, and since it is not that anymore, it is not good anymore. Got it.

CW aside, the E4 is a better pub stomper than the E3, since it is less map dependent. You can never go wrong with 750 alpha on a turret with some mobility and armour.
The E3 is kinda painful since it is a priority target for arty, and getting hit by gold shells is the norm. One of the more painful things in an E3 is turning a corner without exposing your weak sides.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The gun is fine, and it's perfectly viable in pubs, as is pretty much anything that can poo poo out a reasonably-accurate large-caliber wad of 'gently caress you.'

I've just never seen anyone clamor to bring it (or have it brought) into a platoon or T10 company/stronghold.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The gun is fine, and it's perfectly viable in pubs, as is pretty much anything that can poo poo out a reasonably-accurate large-caliber wad of 'gently caress you.'

I've just never seen anyone clamor to bring it (or have it brought) into a platoon or T10 company/stronghold.

As I understand it nobody wants to bring the FV215b(183) or W-100 to anything clannish either, but they still both boss the gently caress out of pub matches on account of being able to utterly annihilate every tier 8 and 9 in the game with only a 5% chance of a single effective retaliation shot, and are still readily capable of loving up the not so great tier 10s, and the better tier 10s driven by not so great players.

In contrast the E-100 is the go-to clan stuff tank (still? I think?), but is fairly pointless to drive in pubs because, while it's still powerful, it's so ridiculously expensive to fire the mandatory HEAT shells all battle that there's no point to driving one unless you're really, really into the thing.

Object 140 is boss at both clan and pub though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If you got enough credits, play pub games and have nothing else unlocked you'd be crazy not turn in the T30 for an E4.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Waffles get taken in CW occasionally, though I've only ever seen it on Prokhorovka and we sat it in A1/K1 to zap people poking over the hill.

But yeah they're hell on wheels in pubs (if you're good with it, they get focused like non other when you get spotted), god I hate fighting them.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
E4s do not scare me like other T10 TDs do. In fact, they are the only T10 TDs that elicit about the same level of fear from me as a KV-2 in a tier 8 match. Sure they have a big gun, but it handles poorly and the turret doesn't fully traverse (something most pubbie E4 drivers seem blissfully unaware of, until the exact moment my medium appears behind them). The turret itself is a big, unarmoured, slab-sided piece of poo poo I can reliably pen with any given T10 medium and most of my T9s. If it's not spotted, sure, it can do some damage... but a lit E4 is a dead E4. At least the E3 has god-tier armour and the E5 is flexible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ What's the magic pen number for shooting E4s in the turret? I've not that that much luck shooting them there.

CitizenKain posted:

I wish I ran into those people whenever I take my IS-7 out. I just don't like how sluggish it is accelerating and turning.

You should fight me in my 113 - I got absolutely wrecked by a 47% guy in an IS-7 last night, even though I opened the fight by sneaking up and shooting him square in the rear end. It bounced, shell must have left my gun sideways, then he turned around and pain happened.

Oh, guess what SS is upset about now?

quote:

Oh yes and one more thing. The girl crews will have male voiceovers, as confirmed by Erissa, WG EU employee. I am sure we are all excited about our new drag queen crews. Hell, maybe they even decided to replace China in the game with Thailand…

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ What's the magic pen number for shooting E4s in the turret? I've not that that much luck shooting them there.

Around 150-200. :magical:
just google it. http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guide-t110e4/

Your problem is not knowing where to shoot.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

nothing is wrong with the E4, its king og peekaboo. 750alpha + turret makes it.
Rarely used in cw, but most TD's dont see much CW either, they just arent flexible enough.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rossmum posted:

E4s do not scare me like other T10 TDs do. In fact, they are the only T10 TDs that elicit about the same level of fear from me as a KV-2 in a tier 8 match. Sure they have a big gun, but it handles poorly and the turret doesn't fully traverse (something most pubbie E4 drivers seem blissfully unaware of, until the exact moment my medium appears behind them). The turret itself is a big, unarmoured, slab-sided piece of poo poo I can reliably pen with any given T10 medium and most of my T9s. If it's not spotted, sure, it can do some damage... but a lit E4 is a dead E4. At least the E3 has god-tier armour and the E5 is flexible.

I am in agreement with Rossmum here and I was one of the first to get the E4. I will add one more thing to mention to the E4 and that for such a squishy hull / turret, the gun depression is on the par Russian gun depression at -6 degrees. Seriously, for a TD with weak slab armor, mediocre aim time, slowish, TD HP, etc, it is a poor choice in general. At least it isn't a post nerf 215 though right?

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Guys I think we've found a new comet!

Quick question to get things started: can it carry??

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

rockopete posted:

As for the reversing wrong turns, I recommend changing your steering model. I can't remember the exact name of the option, it's in one of the normal menus, not even a mod, and switching it means that you will always turn in the same direction regardless of whether you're reversing. Takes some getting used to but it's not too bad, and besides generally simplifying things it cuts way down on that whole turning-hull-and-turret-different-directions issue which always happens at the worst moments. Helps to have a minimap mod with a line indicating your tank and turret facing (which you should probably have anyway).

As far as I know this doesn't exist. I don't see it in-game, and searching for it only returns posts about people wanting it.

Refried Noodle posted:

Quick question to get things started: can it carry??

As someone who will probably never have the time to play CW, the differences between pub-good and CW-good are interesting to me.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

saintonan posted:

As far as I know this doesn't exist. I don't see it in-game, and searching for it only returns posts about people wanting it.

As someone who will probably never have the time to play CW, the differences between pub-good and CW-good are interesting to me.

From what I've seen, 'mild' tanks tend to be preferred. Extreme tanks (like the WTE100) tend not to be used so much except in very specific circumstances, while tanks that are just good all around like the E5, the IS-7, and other generally reliable tanks get the most use in clan wars. I think it's mostly because if things start going tits up, a generalist tank that can perform well in just about any situation is better than one that is completely useless in a worst case scenario. Meanwhile, pub-good tanks usually are extreme tanks because there's no coordination to take out your super powerful glass cannon or whatever, and you have more freedom to apply the good parts of the extreme tank and minimize the weaknesses

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Around 150-200. :magical:
just google it. http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guide-t110e4/
Your problem is not knowing where to shoot.

The armour is not great, but is good enough to bounce badly aimed shots. Considering it is tier10, armour is kinda overrated regardless.

HFX posted:

I am in agreement with Rossmum here and I was one of the first to get the E4. I will add one more thing to mention to the E4 and that for such a squishy hull / turret, the gun depression is on the par Russian gun depression at -6 degrees. Seriously, for a TD with weak slab armor, mediocre aim time, slowish, TD HP, etc, it is a poor choice in general. At least it isn't a post nerf 215 though right?

Rossmums argument is basically saying that the E4 is hosed if someone gets behind in contrast to other tier10 TDs like the E3.
Also, that armour is kinda meh for tier10 since it gets penned from the front unlike other tier 10 TDs.
So, yeah.

The gun depression is kinda meh, but otherwise the E4 works well as second line support tank. Like Descar says, 750 alpha on a turret is hardly bad.
I like playing my E4, and I prefer it to my E3 and E5.
Also, considering the nerfs of the Obj268, 183, Foch155 it is hardly the worst tier10 TD out there.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

Refried Noodle posted:

It is still better than the Cromwell!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Rothmog posted:

It is still better than the Cromwell!

but what about the churchill 3?

Can anyone give me some arguments for or against getting one?

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

Atal Vataman posted:

Not sure if this a legit question in response to my troll comment from 2013, but the Church III can be fun to play, but the KV-220 is probably a better option. I have them both.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Atal Vataman posted:

I'm looking for tips for the Churchill 3 as well. How do I use it?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cippalippus posted:

Hit R 3 times, hold down left click.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

Cippalippus posted:

Angle your hull so the stupid pubs keep shooting your tracks, but not so much that they can get good shots on your drive wheel. Hold left click on the enemy. If they start shooting through your turret face, aim to the side and hope for a bounce while shooting 1 or 2 into them while they reload. The Church III is the only tank I use a toolbox on.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How can people not like the E3 :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Atal Vataman posted:

Church loving owns and you should have one. You can machine gun down anything effortlessly, short of a KV (unless you use gold). Your armour is meh, but at tier 5 most people don't know what to aim for. Your tank is kind of slow, but it's one of those things that can take out a flank and strike fear into the hearts of pubbies when used properly.

Plus it gets mad XP bonuses, and everyone loves those.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally got the second gun for the bishop and it's bloody amazing. It still has the crappy range but instead of being caused by the gun aiming too low it's from aiming too high. The target reticle is a circle instead of a stretched oval. It drops poo poo like a dream right on top of the deliciously weak top armor like a dive bombing seagull.

The rest of the afternoon/evening can be summarized with :smithicide:

While I was trying to grind some xp for the horrible Chinese stuart t4 light I tried to take a short cut over a little bump on Sand River at 60km/h. Naturally there was not a slope on the other side but a steep drop down into a pit. Wrecked. It looked pretty cool though. I don't think the tank is actually that bad, it does ok in t4 battles, but it really blows against t6+ mediums and heavies which is what I'm mostly up against.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Axetrain posted:

How can people not like the E3 :(

Because sometimes you get the west spawn on Malinovka.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm playing WoTB on an iPhone, and though I've seen people mention specifically for Blitz the utility of turning on the "look around" mode so you can observe the area without rotating your turret. This would be huge because I play TDs with fixed guns so have to rotate my whole vehicle to look around me. I checked out everything in Settings but not seeing any option for "look around". Am I missing something?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Rossmums argument is basically saying that the E4 is hosed if someone gets behind in contrast to other tier10 TDs like the E3.

Have I misread something here?

The E4 loads slow and doesn't a great lot going for it besides having a turret which happens to one of the best things a TD can have. So you can work around its limitations.

NTRabbit posted:

As I understand it nobody wants to bring the FV215b(183) or W-100 to anything clannish either, but they still both boss the gently caress out of pub matches on account of being able to utterly annihilate every tier 8 and 9 in the game with only a 5% chance of a single effective retaliation shot, and are still readily capable of loving up the not so great tier 10s, and the better tier 10s driven by not so great players.

Waffles and FVs can ruin a single tank if they blunder into them without support, but that's where it usually ends. The FV is like Maus speed now and has a gunner with epilepsy. The WT is almost impossible to miss and everybody and their mother is going to focus it if it's spotted. With all the BA arty around they don't have very long in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
So the referral program is bullshit. I can't invite people since I didn't play 1 match between mid-September and mid-November.