Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I love all the guys in this industry that have a hard on for certain hardware manufacturers, as if the parts aren't all identical and made by the same bloodied underage hands in some third world factory.

I like HP because of the little UUID button you can mash on the front and it lights up the rear of the chassis as well. Other vendors probably have this by now but HP has had it forever. My server room is darkish, and in the rear of the rack it's almost impossible to read labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I like HP because of the little UUID button you can mash on the front and it lights up the rear of the chassis as well. Other vendors probably have this by now but HP has had it forever. My server room is darkish, and in the rear of the rack it's almost impossible to read labels.

That sounds like a really easy problem to fix that doesn't require brand loyalty.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sickening posted:

That sounds like a really easy problem to fix that doesn't require brand loyalty.

Yeah but the HP UUID light is blue

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

What like.. some sort of handheld thing that would produce enough light to read the labels? Seems cumbersome

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Only time I've ever cared about the brand of f the hardware we use was when Dell was the only company sending servers with the tool free rails that clipped in, while HP sent terrible ones.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CitizenKain posted:

Only time I've ever cared about the brand of f the hardware we use was when Dell was the only company sending servers with the tool free rails that clipped in, while HP sent terrible ones.

This is actually a good reason for brand loyalty. Every hardware refresh, HP keeps loving with their railkit designs, somehow making them worse. The recent G9 servers are just poo poo compared to the G7/G8 railkits.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gyshall posted:

This is actually a good reason for brand loyalty. Every hardware refresh, HP keeps loving with their railkit designs, somehow making them worse. The recent G9 servers are just poo poo compared to the G7/G8 railkits.

Dell's rapidrails (as mentioned) are perfection that can't be improved upon. HP should just copy them

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

mewse posted:

What like.. some sort of handheld thing that would produce enough light to read the labels? Seems cumbersome

Hmmm, network cable idea...

Spend a little extra, get multicolor/chase functionality!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Ten minutes later I get a call back with her Outlook acting up and asking for a password. I tell her the account is locked again because of her phone. She says that I'm a liar and that her account isn't locked, it's a problem with Outlook. Ask her to lock her computer and log back in to fix the Outlook problem. Oh NO YOU'VE LOCKED MY ACCOUNT YOU rear end in a top hat! (Looking back I was a bit of an rear end in a top hat doing this.)

That was hilarious, good on you for doing so, even if its behaviour i shouldn't really encourage.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Rhymenoserous posted:

Dell has had this for years as well.

Gyshall posted:

Yeah but the HP UUID light is blue
I realize this is sarcasm, but Dell's is as well. Unless the server has an issue, then it's amber.

CitizenKain posted:

This, so much. gently caress HP rails.

Gyshall posted:

Dell tends to gently caress with theirs quite often too. They're still incredibly easy to use, but it's annoying as gently caress that if I'm replacing a PE 1950 that I can't just leave the rails and slide in a R610 because the mounts don't line up with the holes in the rails.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

TWBalls posted:

Dell tends to gently caress with theirs quite often too. They're still incredibly easy to use, but it's annoying as gently caress that if I'm replacing a PE 1950 that I can't just leave the rails and slide in a R610 because the mounts don't line up with the holes in the rails.

I remember back at an internship I had we ended up getting a lot of hand-me-down dell servers and a big stack of rails to go with them. A lot of the rail mounts were so close that you could barely tell the difference with the naked eye.

In the end we didn't have enough of the right type to fit all the servers we got and I ended up "fixing" a set that was a couple mm off from properly seating the server with a dremel.

The people who make the differences in rail mounts so close you can't eyeball them are evil.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have brand loyalty to Dell because it's not an absolute chore to purchase Dell hardware. Whatever HP have done has totally hosed the process.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

New Director-level hire. Some random quotes since January 1st:

He cancelled an order we badly needed because "funds needed to order Server 2012 and CALs."

He also printed out a Server 2012 screenshot, open to the server manager, and labelled it "Modern. Discoverable. Simple." and printed out a Linux terminal screenshot with cat /etc/fstab and nano /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf and a couple other commands and labelled it "Obsolete. Arcane. Complex."

And stuck that to the IT area door.

I went full-on Bugs Bunny. "Of course you realize - this means war!"

EDIT: Someone who is not me, at all printed this out and stuck it to his office door:

http://catb.org/esr/writings/unix-koans/gui-programmer.html

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 13, 2015

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

sfwarlock posted:

He cancelled an order we badly needed because "funds needed to order Server 2012 and CALs."

He also printed out a Server 2012 screenshot, open to the server manager, and labelled it "Modern. Discoverable. Simple." and printed out a Linux terminal screenshot with cat /etc/fstab and nano /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf and a couple other commands and labelled it "Obsolete. Arcane. Complex."

I went full-on Bugs Bunny. "Of course you realize - this means war!"

EDIT: Someone who is not me, at all printed this out and stuck it to his office door:

Server core and PowerShell screenshots.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

He also printed out a Server 2012 screenshot, open to the server manager, and labelled it "Modern. Discoverable. Simple."
I refuse to believe that this is a real person. He sounds more like a unicorn. A retarded unicorn, but a mythical creature nonetheless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you work in a creche?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I refuse to believe that this is a real person. He sounds more like a unicorn. A retarded unicorn, but a mythical creature nonetheless.

That's why I'm starting to believe this is some sort of test.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

This is incredible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Out of the blue a recruiter called with what sounded like a perfect fit for me. Same industry I've been in the last six years needs their first I.T. Manager, six figures, within a 30 minute drive. They have maybe two servers, domain and Exchange. Recruiter is stoked and sends me a list of questions cobbled together by his in-house tech recruiter and the client. Blow through it all no problem. Then he sends a link for a ProveIT Active Directory test. Turns out to be multiple choice questions like what you'd see in the Microsoft certifications, and all but maybe two of forty are related to managing AD in a multiple domain environment. I must've blown it horribly as I've always been in single domain environments. All I could do was guess. I sent him a quick followup email to point out that most companies with 100 people are going to be single domain and that's where my experience lies.

I expect that will be a deal breaker for what otherwise would've been a drat slam dunk, the same work I've succeeded at for years. FFFFfffffffuck!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A computer is a tool, it performs a function. Some tools are better at certain functions than other tools. It would be ridiculous for me to say "drills are better than hammers" because it doesn't make any sense. Use the best tool for the job, because a computer is just a tool.

Not unlike your new director.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Out of the blue a recruiter called with what sounded like a perfect fit for me. Same industry I've been in the last six years needs their first I.T. Manager, six figures, within a 30 minute drive. They have maybe two servers, domain and Exchange. Recruiter is stoked and sends me a list of questions cobbled together by his in-house tech recruiter and the client. Blow through it all no problem. Then he sends a link for a ProveIT Active Directory test. Turns out to be multiple choice questions like what you'd see in the Microsoft certifications, and all but maybe two of forty are related to managing AD in a multiple domain environment. I must've blown it horribly as I've always been in single domain environments. All I could do was guess. I sent him a quick followup email to point out that most companies with 100 people are going to be single domain and that's where my experience lies.

I expect that will be a deal breaker for what otherwise would've been a drat slam dunk, the same work I've succeeded at for years. FFFFfffffffuck!

God I hate those ProveIT tests. I took one for linux and it was discussing sendmail configurations from like 1998. gently caress that and gently caress you.

EDIT: One of the questions asked what year a particular kernal came out. Who loving cares? I google dumb poo poo like that and allow my brain to keep useful trivia such as literally anything else.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Reminds me of my 10th grade history class. We had a quiz on every 'section' we read but we were able to use our notes, so the implication is that we should read and take notes so that we would have no problems on the test. I remember a section on immigration or something and the first page had a big picture of a ship from the early 20th century, presumably full of immigrants. On the quiz for that section was the question: What was the name of the ship on the first page?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Yup. Eliminated for scoring less than 80%. I tried to explain to the recruiter that the questions don't apply to the position and gave a couple of examples from the test. His view is that a good I.T. Manager would know the material. No way to argue that.

I'm so frustrated. I just got eliminated from what sounded like a perfect match over things I've never needed to know to be successful.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

Then he sends a link for a ProveIT Active Directory test.

I know your situation and everything, but this is where I say, "My experience is proven by my work history, if you would like to ask me specific questions about that experience I would be more than happy to have more conversations with you." Preferably say this to the IT director or otherwise one of the people you'd be directly working for, rather than an HR drone. Otherwise, it's time to pull a Daylen Drazzi (I think it was him?) and tell them to call you when they get serious about hiring an experienced IT professional.

You have too much experience to put up with assessment tests. Full stop.

Dick Trauma posted:

Yup. Eliminated for scoring less than 80%. I tried to explain to the recruiter that the questions don't apply to the position and gave a couple of examples from the test. His view is that a good I.T. Manager would know the material. No way to argue that.

I'm so frustrated. I just got eliminated from what sounded like a perfect match over things I've never needed to know to be successful.

Recruiter doesn't know poo poo about poo poo and he tries to tell you what a good manager should know. How about the fact that the field of IT is vast, specialization is necessary and inevitable, and nobody's going to know it all. Keep your chin up man, it's just a matter of time before you find something (trite, but really the only thing to say at this point =/).

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 13, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I have brand loyalty to Dell because it's not an absolute chore to purchase Dell hardware. Whatever HP have done has totally hosed the process.

My ordering process for HP owns. I call my salesperson at my VAR, say "I need 3 more servers exactly like I bought last month and VMware licenses for them, let me know when they're ready for delivery to the datacenter and I'll give you a delivery number".

you're probably doing it wrong

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

luminalflux posted:

My ordering process for HP owns. I call my salesperson at my VAR, say "I need 3 more servers exactly like I bought last month and VMware licenses for them, let me know when they're ready for delivery to the datacenter and I'll give you a delivery number".

Seriously! My experience as well.

I shy away from Dell because of multiple times I've had to wait for warranty/new parts to arrive that took weeks to get there, direct or even through my VAR.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

I know your situation and everything, but this is where I say, "My experience is proven by my work history, if you would like to ask me specific questions about that experience I would be more than happy to have more conversations with you." Preferably say this to the IT director or otherwise one of the people you'd be directly working for, rather than an HR drone. Otherwise, it's time to pull a Daylen Drazzi (I think it was him?) and tell them to call you when they get serious about hiring an experienced IT professional.

You have too much experience to put up with assessment tests. Full stop.

Recruiter doesn't know poo poo about poo poo and he tries to tell you what a good manager should know. How about the fact that the field of IT is vast, specialization is necessary and inevitable, and nobody's going to know it all. Keep your chin up man, it's just a matter of time before you find something (trite, but really the only thing to say at this point =/).

I did tell him that in the real world if I have a question I can't answer I just use my highly refined Google skills and would easily get 100%. It's up to him to decide how important that dumb test is in comparison to what I've been doing the last fifteen years.

Anyway I'm just going to chalk this up to experience and be ready if someone else tosses a test at me. I haven't taken a drat computer test since the 1990s.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've spent three days creating an HTML email signature from scratch that matches our company's "standardized" email signature for an email tool I've been working on.

• No one can just give me the exact markup for the signature.

• I've asked the person who's going to use the tool for his email signature, and he doesn't know how he even got his signature in the first place.

• I've asked the people in charge of the project for the exact HTML markup for company signatures and I was given a link to a Google doc.

• Every time I think it's fixed and matches what it's supposed to be, I'm told that there's some bullshit line-height issue or that the line breaks don't match up.

Just give me the loving markup and there will be no issues! :tizzy:

Fake edit: This is why I decided NOT to be a designer at a young age.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

I don't get it. :smith:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

I don't get it. :smith:

His finger is the mouse pointer. Using a keyboard would be the equivalent of talking.

I didn't get it either for a while.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

Anyway I'm just going to chalk this up to experience and be ready if someone else tosses a test at me. I haven't taken a drat computer test since the 1990s.

That's it, those kinds of tests are worthless because the only thing they test are easily-researchable minutia. Ask me how I would design X, and we can have a conversation about it, where I ask probing questions about your requirements and explain how I'd go about it and what it might look like, and maybe if Y or Z was better in this case, and from that discussion you get a good idea of where my skills are. If you instead hand me a multiple-choice assessment, I learn more about the company than they do about me - again, specifically that they aren't serious about hiring a professional.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

the littlest prince posted:

His finger is the mouse pointer. Using a keyboard would be the equivalent of talking.

Basically the whole situation is a smug, passive-aggressive cock-fest and everyone involve should be embarrassed.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Regarding the recruiter test. Nothing you can do there. That company has decided that the best fit for their position is one with specialized knowledge in all areas of IT. Mazel tov to them, enjoy the 15 month hiring process.

Regarding the director with the hard on for Windows. Wooooow. I love me some Windows, I am a Microsoft die-hard, but sheesh, I think I'm going to wipe and install a stage 1 tarball of Gentoo just to move away from that guy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

luminalflux posted:

I might just have poo poo suppliers. When I buy Dell I have a list of options, and I build a server up from those options. At every step the compatibility of the parts is verified and an order sheet is created.

With HP you seem to have to go back and forth after listing a spec from their datasheets, assume the supplier is checking the compatibility for you, and then when you get amendments made you have to hope they haven't hosed up and removed a line item that you really needed. HPs reliance on their partners is their downfall in this situation.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

I think I understand now, but then putting that up is just as bad as the director's praise. It's not like "modern GUIs" can't be used with a keyboard as well...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GUIs and CLIs both have their places.

It's really nice to be able to just click a button and fix something, or to compare two things side by side. GUIs are good at these things!

It's also really nice to find a common task, write a script for it, and set that sumbitch to run whenever neccssary. CLIs are good at these things!

It's even okay to prefer one over the other. I really prefer working in a GUI whenever possible. Fiddling with conf files and manually writing out stuff sucks! But even so, I have absolutely written a few Powershell and batch scripts to automate repetitive, common tasks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This weird job posting.

quote:

Manage the daily maintenance, stocking and support of all printing devices.
Record and log print volume at each device. Create and maintain a record with details for each printer for usage, technical specification, network specifications, toner style, etc.
Manage and maintain a toner and paper stocking schedule based on usage data to ensure supplies are always available
Ensure paper and toner is delivered and/or installed at all devices when needed. Manage alerts for low paper/toner and proactively supply devices
Determine best stocking or replacement process for each printer device. Accomplish this by working with local users to determine preferences. Create and maintain a support plan for each printer/floor/location
Coordinate with owners of closed rooms for support, volume and stocking needs for toner and paper
Perform basic 1st level service (unjam, clean, clear errors, empty waste toner, install toner, etc.) on HP and Multi-Function Devices (copier/scanner/printer/fax)
Coordinate timely repairs for all devices as needed
Coordinate with service providers for management, maintenance, service, repair and/or replacement of devices
Coordinate with network services for management of printing queues
Work with users for connecting to printers as needed
Create instruction sheets for use of each type of device for scanning to e-mail, secure printing and other features
Perform regular maintenance and service inspections on devices to ensure reliability
Maintain and manage stocking room. Accomplish by creating a self explanatory system for backup support to easily follow. All processes must be documented.
Provide backup hardware, A/V, and other user support as requested and/or needed at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier level as needed by providing technical support in troubleshooting and installing hardware components
Pro-active monitoring of all printer based service requests to ensure trouble tickets are addressed by appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
Ensure all printer related requests are addressed properly and are in compliance with Draper policies
Advise colleagues and management on trouble areas that become clear through day-to-day monitoring of support requests; suggest possibilities for training, documentation, etc.
Act as a liaison between customers and technical escalation teams
Thoroughly document routine and non-routine issues for other subject matter experts to address the issue expeditiously
Ensure all Help Desk documentation is current and accurate, and will be required on occasion to write articles to add to the knowledge base
Build team spirit by assisting and supporting other staff members.
Perform other duties, as assigned
Experience configuring network printers on a Windows based network
Experience with configuring Multi-Function Devices (copier/scanner/printer/fax)
Experience providing 1st level service on HP and Multi-Function Devices: unjam, clean, clear errors, empty waste toner, install toner, etc.
Experience working with and coordinating service vendors in a secure facility
Solid experience/knowledge of Windows operating systems concepts
Strong experience with Windows server print queue management
Strong experience with IP configurations
Strong written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills required.
Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
Ability to work efficiently in an environment with changing priorities
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and follow through on problem tickets to completion.
Ability to achieve successful outcomes in handling difficult situations
Demonstrated analytical and troubleshooting skills
Strong problem-solving skills and inherent decision-making ability
Shows initiative and acts independently to resolve problems
Ability to work with minimal direct supervision
Knowledge of Help Desk ticketing software
Experience with Canon MFDs

Graduation from a two year technical school with at least 10 years of applicable experience. There is no years of applicable experience in lieu of education requirement.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I might just have poo poo suppliers. When I buy Dell I have a list of options, and I build a server up from those options. At every step the compatibility of the parts is verified and an order sheet is created.

With HP you seem to have to go back and forth after listing a spec from their datasheets, assume the supplier is checking the compatibility for you, and then when you get amendments made you have to hope they haven't hosed up and removed a line item that you really needed. HPs reliance on their partners is their downfall in this situation.

You have a poo poo supplier, mine checks compat for me and only sold me stuff that works. Hell, there's even those do Supermicros that they guarantee will work well with FreeBSD (mullet.se is one) so there's deffo for HP. Mine hosed up once when they didn't update the firmware on the new Gen8s, not enabling AES-NI instructions and therefore screwing up vMotion cluster compatibility but that's about it over the 4 years I've dealt with them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll see if they can send over those Excel files that build the specs up for you so we can send them one email and get a quotation back then, and if not we'll move onto someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The recruiter changed his mind and submitted me to the client. He said that my argument that unlike the online test the questions the client really needs answered can't be Googled, and that I already have all those answers made sense to him. I don't know if he's going to sell me as strongly as I deserve but I'm counting this as a small victory. I appreciate all the support I get here. It has helped so much, allowing me to shed the angst I had from the last job and keep my head in the game.