Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I can think of John Constantine, but I wish more people did it. I feel the same way about rappers. Real names are cooler.

Green Lanterns usually end up going by their names, but I don't think that really counts. Reed Richards hasn't been called Mr. Fantastic in a serious manner in a while, but I also feel like Marvel is generally more into real names (I have no idea if this is true, just my feeling).

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

What happened to the question thread?

Anyways, is it just me or is it way more common for female characters to be referred to by their name rather than their code name. Jean Gray, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, and so on. I know there are some male villians that go by just their name, Maxwell Lord for example, but what about male heroes? Charles Xavier I guess? You guys are probably going to post a bunch of obvious ones that have slipped my mind for a minute and I'm going to feel like an idiot.

Jack Hawksmoor of the Authority.

I was reading some recent terrible X-Men crossover with a buddy and there was a guy named MADISON JEFFRIES listed in the table among the usual gang; it made me lose my poo poo by how ridiculous some dork named Madison Jeffries looked like there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

I can think of John Constantine, but I wish more people did it. I feel the same way about rappers. Real names are cooler.

Green Lanterns usually end up going by their names, but I don't think that really counts.

I think it has a lot to do with the coolness/length of their code name.

Also it seems to me that fans are more likely to refer to Marvel guys by their real names in talking about them than DC guys. Most people are going to use "Tony" rather than "Iron Man" but no one calls Superman Clark.

fatherboxx posted:

Jack Hawksmoor of the Authority.

I was reading some recent terrible X-Men crossover with a buddy and there was a guy named MADISON JEFFRIES listed in the table among the usual gang; it made me lose my poo poo by how ridiculous some dork named Madison Jeffries looked like there.

He was called Box when he was with Alpha Flight but they started calling him by his name when he joined the X-Science team.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde both have really lovely hero names, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kitty Pryde has several lovely superhero names but perhaps the greatest comic book real name of all time, so that's not a huge surprise.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

zoux posted:

Anyways, is it just me or is it way more common for female characters to be referred to by their name rather than their code name. Jean Gray, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, and so on. I know there are some male villians that go by just their name, Maxwell Lord for example, but what about male heroes? Charles Xavier I guess? Does anyone still call J'onn J'onzz Martian Manhunter? You guys are probably going to post a bunch of obvious ones that have slipped my mind for a minute and I'm going to feel like an idiot.
  • Jean Grey had the dilemma that for a long time she couldn't be Phoenix (something something world explody something), but Marvel Girl was deemed too corny for the 80s and 90s. So she became often known as usually just "Jean" until she was allowed to reclaim the Phoenix name.
  • Emma Frost's code name, the White Queen, is a position in the Hellfire Club rather than her personal name. So though she's hung onto the name from time to time, it isn't used often because it's inaccurate these days.
  • Kitty Pryde kept bouncing between codenames (Sprite, Ariel), so by the time she settled on "Shadowcat", people knew her better as Kitty.
  • Maxwell Lord started out as just an 80s business guy associated with the Justice League. He was never really a superhero per se, and so when he had his villain turn, his ID didn't change.
  • Charles Xavier's code name, "Professor X", never really worked because he was rarely in the field and never really had a superheroic persona anyway. So it didn't stick very well.
  • Yeah, some people still call Martian Manhunter that.

fatherboxx posted:

As mentioned, he used to be one of several superheroes named Box, named so for the power armor he wore. But he doesn't wear the armor anymore, so he isn't Box.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rick Flagg from Suicide Squad never had a code name.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think with some characters it's a combination of changing attitudes towards everyone having code names and the characters having cool names to begin with. A guy unironically calling himself Deathstroke the Terminator is way less threatening to me than if he just went by Slade.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what's the worst non-jokey code name in comics?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
When your gimmick is that you're a patriotic soldier and you have the last name of "Flag", you're pretty well set.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

The Whizzer.(It wasn't a joke at the time.)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Oh come on, how can "Rick Flagg" not be a codename?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

Oh come on, how can "Rick Flagg" not be a codename?
It was.

Suicide Squad: Raise the Flag #5

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 13, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

The Whizzer.(It wasn't a joke at the time.)

The name's only half the fun; keep in mind he wears a yellow costume.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

Backlash (because he pulls out energy whips out of his back wow)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Man-Ape. It's always going to be Man-Ape.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about Man-Bat?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was always uh, partial to Super Slave.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uhhhh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Paste-Pot Pete.

A lot of WWII era villains had really on-the-nose names; Spy Smasher's arch-enemy was called "America Smasher", for instance, and I remember there was one called "Baron Gestapo", and an villainous samurai called "Nippo" was a Captain Marvel villain and joined the Monster Society of Evil.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When you have names like Sinestro or Doomsday, or you work for the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants it's hard not to imagine yourself as the bad guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Woe, indeed.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bairfanx posted:

Well, it looks like it was published after Eisner's death by a few months, but I'm not finding anywhere that says when the interview took place. Miller has said himself that his world was shaken from its hinges on 9/11, so it's entirely possible that his crazy will be on full display there, though the subject matter might have made it easier for him to focus on what he likely imagines are the good times.

The book was published in '05 but the interview is from '02 , so it's after the attacks. I do think that being in the same room with Eisner might've mellowed him on that front, but I'm not that far into the book and so far it's been mostly talk about the medium of comics and how they use it and how they'd would like to see it used.

I'm enjoying the book a lot. Specially seeing how a lot of their grievances about comics and it's format are being currently addressed by some artist now, 10 years after.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

What happened to the question thread?

Anyways, is it just me or is it way more common for female characters to be referred to by their name rather than their code name. Jean Gray, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, and so on. I know there are some male villians that go by just their name, Maxwell Lord for example, but what about male heroes? Charles Xavier I guess? Does anyone still call J'onn J'onzz Martian Manhunter? You guys are probably going to post a bunch of obvious ones that have slipped my mind for a minute and I'm going to feel like an idiot.

No one calls Luke Cage Power Man anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Kitty Pryde has several lovely superhero names but perhaps the greatest comic book real name of all time, so that's not a huge surprise.

Reminder that Raven Darkholme felt the need for a pretty lackluster codename.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I would too unless I was a 14 year old gothic teen girl. Kitty Pryde was famously a real name, one of Byrne's (?) former classmates.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Yeah I would too unless I was a 14 year old gothic teen girl.

She has a belt made of skulls.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Can one of them play Bela Lugosi Is Dead, that's the real question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

She has a belt made of skulls.

Is...she a baddie :ohdear:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

zoux posted:

From the X-men, Jean, Emma, and Kitty have all been addressed already. But conversely, you have Storm, Jubilee, and Dazzler. Jubilee is loving cheating because her given name is Jubilation Lee, so no one who was her friend would ever call her that. Hell, look at Rogue. Last I checked, her real name still hasn't been revealed yet. Most people don't call Spider-man Peter, but maybe part of that is that he has a secret identity. The X-men really don't have that. Anymore I think being a mutant in Marvel is like being vegan in the real world. How do you know if someone is a mutant? They'll loving tell you.

I think part of it is familiarity between the characters too. Dr. Doom would never call She-Hulk "Jennifer", it's either Ms. Walters or She Hulk. But he would address Invisible Woman as Sue or Susan, maybe Mrs. Fantastic if he felt super formal. Doctor Octopus would still probably go with the codename in both of those situations. But again, those identities are public knowledge.

On the DC side, someone mentioned that no one addresses Superman as Clark, especially in costume, unless it's far away from the public view and a close friend. Most of the Justice League don't refer to Wonder Woman as Diana, and god help you if you call Batman Bruce if you don't have written permission.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

Hell, look at Rogue. Last I checked, her real name still hasn't been revealed yet.

On the DC side, someone mentioned that no one addresses Superman as Clark, especially in costume, unless it's far away from the public view and a close friend. Most of the Justice League don't refer to Wonder Woman as Diana, and god help you if you call Batman Bruce if you don't have written permission.

Rogue's name is Anna Marie

People used to call Flash Wally all the time. Thanks a lot Hal.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

How are we all forgetting that there's a character named Man-thing? That's the best awful name by far.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dani Moonstar had some pretty crappy codenames, she went by Psyche first, then when she discovered more about how her powers worked she changed it to Mirage. She just started going by Dani or Moonstar later though, because both those codenames sucked.

Also Rusty Collins never had a codename and then he died, RIP Rusty.

A lot of X-Men characters don't have "proper" codenames, which makes sense I guess because a lot of them don't want to be superheroes or whatever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've honestly never understood Scott's insistence on "CODENAMES IN THE FIELD".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

I've honestly never understood Scott's insistence on "CODENAMES IN THE FIELD".
Same reason armed forces use call signs, combined with a dash of "that was your human name". Scott was raised from a very young age to lead a paramilitary strike force, the poor bastard, and Magneto's influence hasn't helped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Also Rusty Collins never had a codename and then he died, RIP Rusty.

That's because nobody liked Rusty.

RIP Rusty but seriously gently caress you you suck.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Skin might as well not have had a real name with the way that was treated.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Skin might as well not have had a real name with the way that was treated.

He's the one Chuck Austen killed off and got the name wrong, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Tin Of Beans posted:

How are we all forgetting that there's a character named Man-thing? That's the best awful name by far.
I would counter that and say that Man-Bat is actually even worse, especially with his wife She-Bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rusty's codename was Firefist but nobody knows that because it sucked. Also:

Rhyno posted:

nobody liked Rusty.

RIP Rusty but seriously gently caress you you suck.

Monet St. Croix has the worst codename. M. "Initial" makes a better codename.

• Locked thread