Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Who wants to Smash a guy who goes by liquidypoo? Man, what a jerk! I bet you could Smash him into next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i want robin with her grandmaster outfit. also i want robin to be a bit faster, and just better, really, but that's just me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

sharrrk posted:

i want robin with her grandmaster outfit. also i want robin to be a bit faster, and just better, really, but that's just me.

I will reiterate the stupid thing I said like 50 pages ago, which is that I wish Robin was a fearsome tyrant that was the ranged equivalent of Grandpa Ganon. She's cool and fine with some cool spells as-is, but man I just wish she was more mighty.

e: Also who the gently caress thinks Male Robin is cool in any way?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Plasbad posted:

One of the easiest and quickest ways of getting custom moves for me is to go into Target Blast and pause as soon as it starts. If you see a target with a wrench symbol on it, then good. If you don't just press LR/LZ/Whatever button on your control is mapped to retry, and it'll reload everything so you can keep reloading until you get a layout with a wrench.
Yeah, this was the main method I used, if you mess around with an initial character (test custom moves, train, go online, etc.) and then go to target blast with whatever character, the custom moves (wrenches) that you can acquire tend to focus on that initial character. It was also helpful to learn sequences of moves for a character (for me, it was Pikachu) to damage and launch the bomb to the precise location of the wrench, no matter where it was. Still, I want to kill the person who thought it was a good idea to win customs you've already earned, can't even loving sell them for coins.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

You going to be on tonight? Want to get some dorf mirror matches in.
I can be. 8:30 PST would work for sure and I can maybe get on earlier depending on how my day goes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RyokoTK posted:

I will reiterate the stupid thing I said like 50 pages ago, which is that I wish Robin was a fearsome tyrant that was the ranged equivalent of Grandpa Ganon. She's cool and fine with some cool spells as-is, but man I just wish she was more mighty.

e: Also who the gently caress thinks Male Robin is cool in any way?

Have you seen a good Robin play? Good Robins can be downright terrifying at times. Also I think both Robins are rad as hell. :colbert:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

sharrrk posted:

I find Robin to be a perfectly fine character, despite his/her speed and poor grabs. What I would have desired more is more memorable stages based on specific climactic moments from the series, rather than generic arenas. IE: The underwater temple from Fire Emblem 7 where you fought Sonia or on the back of Grima.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I just want more stages that have both platforms and no stage hazards.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just got the game today and messed around with it for a bit. Is there a good guide anywhere for what to do with the Amibo figures?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Reksi posted:

I can be. 8:30 PST would work for sure and I can maybe get on earlier depending on how my day goes.

Cool sounds good

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

Have you seen a good Robin play? Good Robins can be downright terrifying at times. Also I think both Robins are rad as hell. :colbert:

Good Robins are really cool but that's not really what I meant. The thing I like about Ganon is that he doesn't gently caress around with cool tricks or fast moves or pokes or anything like that, he just punches you and you die, and to me I don't find Robin to be especially distinct from Ness or Samus aside from the limited weapon gimmick. In my head, Robin wouldn't gently caress around with little Elwind pokes or zaps or jabbing people with a sword, she just electrocutes you and you die.

BigRed0427 posted:

I just got the game today and messed around with it for a bit. Is there a good guide anywhere for what to do with the Amibo figures?

throw them in the garbage

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I think one thing that made melee matches cool is that low % kills were common due to combos and relatively poor recovery options.

Seems like everybody except little Mac and mii swordsman can get back to the stage from practically anywhere.

Esam's using some pikachu b-air understage shenanigans and there was that crazy ZSS 23% combo but by far and large people are dying at high %'s, unless you're being u-aired by diddy which is basically half the reason why diddy is so good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Why there isn't a stage that's just Hades, where the only stage hazard is his cutting remarks about your playing, I will never know.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

she's good but she requires more work than other characters for not really any extra gain. she also has really bad matchups against anyone who can move fast because she's just too slow to keep up. she feels almost completely helpless fighting a good marth or even lucina, and while i haven't fought many good sheiks or sonics i have a hard time imagining those could go any better, especially since sheik can throw out a needle to disrupt charging thunder. i just want her to be really good in general instead of only in specific matchups because i think she has one of the most fun movesets in the game. making her as slow as she is doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

When on the Wii U menu and the menu icons are on the TV, how can you select things using the Gamepad?

I know you can press X to switch between displays and then the D-pad and touch screen work, but I mean doing it screen so people can see.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heran Bago posted:

When on the Wii U menu and the menu icons are on the TV, how can you select things using the Gamepad?

I know you can press X to switch between displays and then the D-pad and touch screen work, but I mean doing it screen so people can see.

The Gamepad can only interact with the Wii U menu while the menu is on the gamepad. Also this is the Smash thread, not the Wii U thread.

sharrrk posted:

she's good but she requires more work than other characters for not really any extra gain. she also has really bad matchups against anyone who can move fast because she's just too slow to keep up. she feels almost completely helpless fighting a good marth or even lucina, and while i haven't fought many good sheiks or sonics i have a hard time imagining those could go any better, especially since sheik can throw out a needle to disrupt charging thunder. i just want her to be really good in general instead of only in specific matchups because i think she has one of the most fun movesets in the game. making her as slow as she is doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah, Robin's a pretty advanced character and takes a lot of work, but in the right hands, can be the destroyer of anything but rushdown.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

The Gamepad can only interact with the Wii U menu while the menu is on the gamepad. Also this is the Smash thread, not the Wii U thread.

Big thanks and big oops.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I am now Melee capable, thanks to some help from Laplace and the awesome Wii U USB drivers from some guy on Reddit.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What that mean

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Morgan skin for Robin, please

I do not play "project durrrrr m", but if they ever get to smash 4 and add morgan somehow you better believe i'll eat it up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raserys posted:

I do not play "project durrrrr m", but if they ever get to smash 4 and add morgan somehow you better believe i'll eat it up

They will probably wind up doing not only this but a Chrom skin for Ike

E: also it means I can do Melee netplay

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am now Melee capable, thanks to some help from Laplace and the awesome Wii U USB drivers from some guy on Reddit.

would you consider netplaying "the other"??

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I wish you couldn't 8 Person play on the Fire Emblem War Castle stage.

That first part of the stage is just a loving mess and makes it hard to tell what's going on.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bef posted:

would you consider netplaying "the other"??

let us do this

if you can teach me how to play without frying my laptop's cpu and also how to netplay

E: nvm I figured these things, let us netplay

E: E: oh poo poo you meant project M uhhhhhhhhhhh

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 14, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Raserys posted:

It is actually "produrrrrrject m", the sickest burn of all time.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

let us do this

if you can teach me how to play without frying my laptop's cpu and also how to netplay

E: nvm I figured these things, let us netplay

E: E: oh poo poo you meant project M uhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahahaha. Yeah! :)

I'm a get melee for it too tho so I'll hit you up for that one day

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bef posted:

Ahahaha. Yeah! :)

I'm a get melee for it too tho so I'll hit you up for that one day

no like I'd be cool playing project M but idk how to do that on there

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

no like I'd be cool playing project M but idk how to do that on there

There's a good guide out that makes it easy to install. In on my phone right now so I can't link it but it's like one of the 1st links if you look up project m 3.5

You need a Brawl iso though

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Plasbad posted:

One of the easiest and quickest ways of getting custom moves for me is to go into Target Blast and pause as soon as it starts. If you see a target with a wrench symbol on it, then good. If you don't just press LR/LZ/Whatever button on your control is mapped to retry, and it'll reload everything so you can keep reloading until you get a layout with a wrench. I personally enjoy Target Blast anyway so it was much quicker than most of the other methods, but if you want something different then Crazy Orders is another good way of getting customs. Just pick fights that have the symbol of the character you want the moves for.

Pro strategy right here. Took me just under an hour to get all of Falco's custom moves with this strategy (target blast) :swoon:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

You still kick my rear end all the time with her. So that obviously means she's overpowered,

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I keep hearing that sonic is really good so I tried him out and found out how to do 40% damage in a single string and that's disgusting. Dunno how good he is at actually killing but still that's super gross.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep hearing that sonic is really good so I tried him out and found out how to do 40% damage in a single string and that's disgusting. Dunno how good he is at actually killing but still that's super gross.

Considering he can kill with his backthrow and his f and up smashes are both great he's pretty drat good at actually killing

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

He's not great at killing, though backthrow, up-airs off the top, and perfect-pivoted F-smashes can pack a whallop. What Sonic excels in is his mobility, his ability to techchase, and his respectable priority (n-air beats almost everything).

basically, Sonic is Pretty drat Good, as he should be.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If customs are allowed he can do more then 40 what the hell.

Just side b into someone jump and fair up air, if you have customs the headbutt one and up air again. People can DI out of that right because if not why isn't that getting abused

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered the trophy photo studio and made a picture of The Groose showing his cock. Enjoy!

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/sBCnFv8.jpg:nws:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Does anyone have a spare Club Nintendo code for the Wii U version they could send me? The promo ends today, and I really want the soundtrack, but not enough to go buy a $60 game for a console I don't even have. I could give you the Mewtwo code for the Wii U version when it comes out, since, again, I don't have a Wii U.

I normally wouldn't come on SA and sorta beg like this, but I am an idiot who just got ripped off by someone on Reddit and a friend told me off about it and sent me here.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I just remembered the trophy photo studio and made a picture of The Groose showing his cock. Enjoy!

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/sBCnFv8.jpg:nws:

:eyepop:

People need to make more of these, this has the potential to be amazing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I feel like this game has an overabundance of characters with Counter moves. Basically every character who has a sword has a counter, plus obviously others that don't have a sword that does. then Palutenia is basically a character entirely based around Counters, with 2/4 moves being counters.

Like I get that counters are cool but I feel like there's just too many.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain France posted:

Does anyone have a spare Club Nintendo code for the Wii U version they could send me? The promo ends today, and I really want the soundtrack, but not enough to go buy a $60 game for a console I don't even have. I could give you the Mewtwo code for the Wii U version when it comes out, since, again, I don't have a Wii U.

I normally wouldn't come on SA and sorta beg like this, but I am an idiot who just got ripped off by someone on Reddit and a friend told me off about it and sent me here.

Go buy the 60 dollar game and the 200 dollar console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like this game has an overabundance of characters with Counter moves. Basically every character who has a sword has a counter, plus obviously others that don't have a sword that does. then Palutenia is basically a character entirely based around Counters, with 2/4 moves being counters.

Like I get that counters are cool but I feel like there's just too many.

I agree that to many have counters really. Really uncreative in a lot of cases, I keep forgetting Ike has one and get nailed by it because I don't expect a gorilla to have such a move.

• Locked thread